Look Out, Here I Come

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 29, 2010

20100829-IMG_1603

Hiking was fun!

Lots of great look-out points and spots to rest our weary legs. We were spoiled with a 30C hot and sunny day today. We have to make use of all of these last warm days that we can.

Being a goof ball in my No Meat Athlete tee!

20100829-IMG_1547 20100829-IMG_1559

20100829-IMG_1586

20100829-IMG_1587 20100829-IMG_1590

20100829-IMG_1591  20100829-IMG_1595

Love this pic!

20100829-IMG_1607

20100829-IMG_1616 20100829-IMG_1623

This was another favourite picture. :)

20100829-IMG_1642

For dinner we wanted something light and summery. We were in luck because we had a whole crisper full of CSA veggies to eat up.

20100829-IMG_1487 20100829-IMG_1494

20100829-IMG_1496

Eggplants are so fun. :) I was very excited to get one in last week’s CSA.

20100829-IMG_1497

I used to not like eggplant too! Another recent conquest in the past 2 years.

20100829-IMG_1498

20100829-IMG_1502

20100829-IMG_1503

20100829-IMG_1504

20100829-IMG_1507

20100829-IMG_1536

Chewy Eggplant Chips

Inspired by VegWeb.

Ingredients:

• 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4” rounds
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2-1 tsp Sea salt
  • Ground black pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Herbs/spices of your choice (I used fresh rosemary)

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F and grab two baking sheets and line with foil. Cut eggplant into rounds. Top with olive oil and seasonings and mix all around coating both sides. Cook for about 14 minutes on each side, watching closely. They turn into chewy chips- not hard or crunchy. They were great for rolling up like a burrito (see below).

These were pretty good, although a bit bland unless I loaded them up! I would suggest using other spices to spice them up a little. :)

20100829-IMG_1541

We also made yellow tomato salsa and guacamole.

20100829-IMG_1513

20100829-IMG_1472

So sweet it hurts.

20100829-IMG_1481

20100829-IMG_1519

Yellow Tomato Pico De Gallo/Salsa

Inspired by Pioneer Woman.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups yellow tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 cocktail tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • Handful Cilantro, chopped
  • 1/2 lemon juice
  • squirt of lime juice
  • pinch sea salt
  • black pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp olive oil

Directions: Chop all ingredients and mix well.

20100829-IMG_1520

For the guacamole I just smashed 2 avocados, added a big scoop of the above salsa, and lots of sea salt to taste.

And…..mix!

20100829-IMG_1522

20100829-IMG_1530

We had it with black bean chips and chewy eggplant chips…

20100829-IMG_1533

It was a very refreshing and light dinner.

20100829-IMG_1542

I’m off to finish some laundry and then kick up my feet for a couple hours.

I will see you tomorrow morning for a fun Monday Morning breakfast. Clue: It looks sorta like a cupcake but is much healthier and made with fruit. Any guesses?

Page 2 of 2«12
Erin August 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Spectacular views! The eggplant chips sound good, I’m always looking for new ways to prepare eggplant that don’t call for a bunch of oil.

Julie August 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I have only ever eaten egg plant in baba banoush, but this makes me think I should give them a try in chip form! I can always use an excuse to make guacamole, and this is so much healthier than most tortilla chips!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 29, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I love eggplant but I have issues preparing it myself :/

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm

In love with that pico!! Cherry tomatoes are the vegetable (I mean fruit) of the summer!!

Sana August 29, 2010 at 11:26 pm

What a refreshing dinner! Vegetables are just so beautiful to photograph! Did you see any bears on the hike?

Adina August 29, 2010 at 11:28 pm

What an awesome t shirt! I have never been a huge eggplant fan but you somehow make all these foods look so delicious to eat ! hmm and my guess for your breakfast tomorrow is something like a christmas fruit cake cupcake lol :)

Mama Pea August 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Eggplant chips! I now know what I’m going to do with the few squash that are staring me down in the fridge and now I know what to do with them!

Marina August 30, 2010 at 12:47 am

Have you ever tried bbqing eggplant? Thats another simple way ( quicker too) to make eggplant.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 30, 2010 at 12:54 am

I have discovered my love for eggplant this summer. It’s so good! I’m going to guess an avocado cupcake?

Marina August 30, 2010 at 1:16 am

I love eggplant chips!
Can’t wait for that breakfast :)

Eimear Rose August 30, 2010 at 2:38 am

I used to hate eggplant too, put baba ganoush converted me, and then roasting big slices of it and stuffing with Moroccan spiced almond stuffing. Maybe marinading the slices before roasting would make them less bland? I find eggplant works best with Middle Eastern/African flavours- maybe marinading in ras el hanout, argan or olive oil and plenty of garlic?

Olya August 30, 2010 at 4:31 am

Amazing photos! Hmmmm…. healthy fruit muffins? I make mine without oil or sugar but with heaps of bananas, pumpkin and kiwifruit.

Michelle August 30, 2010 at 4:59 am

You are so creative! I’ve actually never cooked eggplant on my own, but this recipe makes me want to try.

JL Goes Vegan August 30, 2010 at 5:02 am

Gorgeous guac and salsa! I’ll have to grab some of the yellow grape tomatoes at the farmer’s market next week!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 30, 2010 at 5:34 am

That salsa looks delicious!

Maureen PLuthero August 30, 2010 at 6:21 am

What trail did you hike, I live in the same part of Ontario and would love to go hiking on this trail.

tweal August 30, 2010 at 6:41 am

I’m loving eggplant lately too! Have you tried making the raw bacon with eggplant? I have heard great things, though the one time I made it I had to throw it all out because it was so yucky. Not sure what I did wrong though… Yummy salsa, that makes a perfect summer meal.

Dani @ Body By Nature August 30, 2010 at 6:42 am

Beautiful hiking pics! Is this part of the escarpment?

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place August 30, 2010 at 6:52 am

that place looks absolutely gorgeous. I could spend hours just staring at that look out!

Julie @SavvyEats August 30, 2010 at 7:18 am

I have POUNDS of little yellow tomatoes from the garden, so I’ll have to try your salsa!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 30, 2010 at 7:31 am

That cobweb photo is awesome! I love it.

I’m terrible at cooking eggplant successfully, but this makes me want to try again. Maybe I’d add some marinara and cheese to those eggplant chips.

Heather (heather's dish) August 30, 2010 at 7:44 am

healthy, light, and BEAUTIFUL dinner! i love all of the amazing colors!

Kristy August 30, 2010 at 7:45 am

Amazing, my mouth is watering!! Thanks for sharing all those great recipes, awesome pics! :)

Maria August 30, 2010 at 8:27 am

I see you’re on a “burrito” kick as of late, :P loves it!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 30, 2010 at 8:30 am

Yum, I could use some eggplant right about now!

Cherie August 30, 2010 at 8:40 am

You have absolutely the best recipes on your blog! I can’t wait to try the chewy eggplant chips. (And I love your no-meat athlete t-shirt!)

Allie Finch August 30, 2010 at 9:08 am

Mmm, I really enjoy eggplant. I do something similar by broiling thin strips; I am still playing around with spices — you are right about some not standing out — Jamaican all-spice is nice on eggplant. I am going to have to try rolling them up for dinner to see if my husband likes it…maybe with a cashew or pine-nut pate`!

Jenny August 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

I just made homemade quac last night, def a good idea to mix in some homemade salsa! I’ll have to try that :)

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows August 30, 2010 at 11:04 am

I love the no meat athlete t-shirt! Where did you find that!?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’ve done tons of hiking around the GTA this summer, but that place doesn’t look familiar! Where is it? It has gorgeous views!

monicanelsonfitness August 30, 2010 at 11:35 am

Just caught up with your dinner. WOW! Eric is a lucky guy:) So is my husband though too, hehe, jk. I love the Eggplant Chip idea. I have made many eggplant concoctions like “Eggplant Dip” but not Chips. What a beautiful meal and the pics make me miss Colorado Mts. :) Thanks for giving us all a chance to pretend to breathe some fresh air! (as I live in LA!)

Amber K August 30, 2010 at 11:37 am

I have never tried eggplant before, it looks interesting!

Tracy August 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

When I make eggplant chips, I like to add a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast, which gives them a lot of flavor!

Therese August 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I LOVE eggplant! I find it gives such great texture to dishes! YUM!

Kavita August 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I think some curry seasoning would really spice up those eggplant chips! Paprika/Cumin/Curry powder/garam masala. Might give em the kick they need – and they’d taste great with salsa/hummus!

Paula August 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm

WOW! Between the eggplant chips and that bright tomatoe salsa, I can’t wait to make my own! I love eggplant and can’t wait to try cooking it like that!

Ingunn August 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Hiking is my number one form of exercise/pastime/therapy, so I love seeing photos from hikes in other places! I’ve been on some great hikes in Canada this summer (I live in Washington State), but only in BC and the Rockies. Hiking in the Canadian Rockies blew me away.

Re: eggplant – have you ever had baingan (eggplant) bharta? It’s my all-time favorite Indian dish, but there’s usually a lot of oil in it. I guess I can cross my fingers that you’ll try it, fall in love with it, and then make a lower-fat version to share with your blog readers.. ;)

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com August 31, 2010 at 7:52 pm