Ultra Fudgy Brownies

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 27, 2010

Greetings! :)

I must show you something I found on my run today…

20100827-IMG_7001

*gulp.

It was on the ground.

Below a tree.

It wasn’t alone.

They used to be green.

Now they are red and orange.

I stopped in my tracks and mumbled a word I will not repeat on the blog. I did a quick mental date check (Aug. 26th, 27th thereabouts??) and decided that this tree was clearly confused!!!!

Friends, this is a classic case of early-onset molting. If trees molted that is…

Despite this shocking scene, I managed to have a great run! I have only run once in the past week so my legs were definitely rusty, but it didn’t take that long to get into the groove.

images

I am currently looking at a half marathon, 10k, and 5k race in the next couple of weeks, but I can’t decide what distance I want to do! Votes? :)

Oh do I have a treat for you on this lovely Friday evening….

20100827-IMG_7019

Tonight I was looking through my Sweet Freedom cookbook and I came across a recipe for Ultra Fudgy Brownies.

Ultra.

Fudgy.

Brownies.

20100827-IMG_7016

We are visiting family this weekend and I promised to bring dessert!

The truth is, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about brownies since I had that amazing flat brownie at Karyn’s Cooked in Chicago….

20100817-IMG_6873

I rest my case.

Brownies it was.

20100827-IMG_7018

20100827-IMG_7042

Ultra Fudgy Brownies

Adapted from Sweet Freedom.

Ingredients:

• 1 small avocado (1/4 cup packed)
  • 1 cup Sucanat (brown sugar might work?)
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil (reduced from 1/4 cup)
  • 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (or ground flax)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp organic dark roasted coffee or instant
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 1/4 cup whole grain spelt flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8” pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, gently smash the avocado with a fork to break apart. Using a hand mixer, process the avocado until smooth. Add the Sucanat, maple syrup, oil, chia, vanilla extract, and coffee and mix until smooth. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the spelt flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix on low or stir by hand until just mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Dump the mixture onto the baking pan. Dip your spatula in cold water and smooth out. The batter will be VERY THICK (see pictures below), so not to worry. It was difficult for me to spread out so I finally just threw my hands in cold water and smoothed it out with my hands. It worked much better this way. Once smooth, place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes and no more. You will look at the batter and think that there is no way it will cook in that amount of time, but trust me it does. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes. Pop in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set and firm. Remove from pan and cut with a pizza slicer. Serves 9-12.

This batter was thick and luxurious!

20100827-IMG_7020

And very hard to spread…

20100827-IMG_7021

But trust me on this one…it was worth the effort.

Check out how thick that batter is!

20100827-IMG_7022

I reduced the oil from 1/4 cup to 2 tbsp so that probably thickened it up a bit. I didn’t miss the oil though…they were just perfect to me.

I ended up wetting my hands and diving in. Sometimes you gotta get dirrrty in the kitchen!

20100827-IMG_7024

Ah, much better.

After baking 25 minutes, cooling, and setting in freezer:

20100827-IMG_7044

Get rollin’.

20100827-IMG_7049

I used a 9 inch pan because I was going for that flat brownie look. They turned out great!

9 large squares…

20100827-IMG_7051

20100827-IMG_7052

Mmmm.

20100827-IMG_7057

I had to try one of course. ;)

I could only have 1/2 of one because I need 8 for our get together and I saved the other half for Eric! :)

20100827-IMG_7059

20100827-IMG_7060 20100827-IMG_7061

20100827-IMG_7063

Verdict = IN THE VAULT.

20100827-IMG_7077

Seriously amazing brownies. Good work Ricki!

I’m dreaming of having these with some banana soft serve or vegan coconut ice cream.

20100827-IMG_7080

How do you like your brownies? Thick, gooey, soft, dense, crisp, chunky, smooth, doughy, cake-like, rich, all of the above?

To me the perfect brownie is gooey, but not too gooey. It also has to be dense, but not sickly sweet and over powering. These brownies fit the bill.

Well, we are off for the night. I will see you in the morning. :) Enjoy your evening.

Page 2 of 2«12
Gree August 27, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I am absolutely making those brownies, they are perfect for my gluten free little girl and I love that they don’t have any refined sugar and some avocado too! I like my brownies dense and fudgy, these look like just the ticket!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/s August 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Is that the trick for cutting up brownies, to put them in the freezer. Because every time I make healthy brownies they get all crummy and messy when I cut them, and then they aren’t nice and pretty.

Katie August 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Angela! I know you don’t even know me, but you have totally ruined my life! First the Green Monsters, then the Banana Soft Serve, now these brownies! How can I ever go back to life without these wonders?? I tested this brownie recipe tonight and my husband and I agree we can no longer live without making these our go-to treat whenever we need to bring dessert anywhere. Thanks for adding to the list of foods I can’t live without :)

[email protected] August 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Those look sooo good, especially since I’m dying for some chocolate right now!! I have NONE in my house. I like the corner brownies, with a crispy edge, but soft inside :-)

Valerie August 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Those fudgy brownies look amazingggggggg! Once i get a better mastery of the kitchen, that is something I will definitely have to try : )

I’ll admit that the leaf concept was a little foreign to me… we don’t really have seasons in Florida! :P But that is so pretty!

McKella August 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Oh my goodness, I saw red leaves today too! I swear the trees turn earlier every year. It’s already getting cooler where I live. Feels like early fall already. Cross those fingers to hope winter holds off.

Noelle August 27, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Are you reading my tweets??? I so wanted brownies last night but the recipe I saw had too much Earth balance and sugar that I decided to go with 1 TBSP of peanut butter. This recipe looks GREAT! Thanks for posting this. I will be making this tomorrow. Have a good night!

Dee August 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm

oh my good golly. YUM, YUM, YUM.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats August 27, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I love love love Sweet Freedom. I just received my copy recently, and want to make so many things it :)

Gina August 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Those brownies look delicious. I love corner pieces and edge pieces of brownies. Which works out well because my husband and his family like the middle. Love your food photography skills by the way!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 28, 2010 at 12:47 am

I like my brownies as gooey as possible!!!

Those look great! I have been craving brownies for about 4 months now … and anytime I have one, and crave more!!!

Erin August 28, 2010 at 12:55 am

Oh man, they look fantastic! I like my brownies dense and soft, with that crunchy sheen on top. The flat brownie technique sounds perfect for that!

Little Bookworm August 28, 2010 at 3:20 am

Those brownies look fantastic! Definitely book marked the recipe. Thanks. :)

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 28, 2010 at 3:24 am

Holigamoli!! they look awesome!! *runs off to the kitchen to whip some up!* i like my brownies in a perfect world, kinda crispy on the outside and thick and doughy and claggy on the inside.

Melanie August 28, 2010 at 7:16 am

Drool. That is all I have to say.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 28, 2010 at 7:44 am

Ohhhhh my goodness. You’re killing me. These look SO good!! I just had a fabulous idea too…. what if you were to make these brownies, chop them into smaller chunks, stir them into banana soft serve, then freeze the whole thing for a bit…. it would be like a DQ Blizzard, but BETTER!!!

Emily August 28, 2010 at 8:06 am

Gorgeous brownies!!! They look delicious, fudgy and oh so chocolatey :)

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health August 28, 2010 at 8:51 am

Believe it or not, I’m actually *not* a huge fan of chocolate :/ I LOVE desserts, but chocolate…not so much! But when it comes to brownies – I’ll make an exception if they’re super gooey…like, gooey to the point where you wonder if they were actually baked, haha! Oh, and being topped with ice cream/banana soft serve certainly wouldn’t hurt ;)

rachel August 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

we’ve got yellowing leaves in our yard now too, but i’m quite excited! i love autumn time <3
brownies oh my, those look amazing. i like a good dark fudgy brownie, myself :)

SheFit August 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

YUM! These brownies look amazing! I love brownies that are crispy and hard on the edges but gooey in the middle. . . usually the corner pieces :)

Claire August 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

AAAAhhhhhh! you’ve been posting some great sweet treat recipes here I’m sure (haven’t tried them yet) and they’re making me cravvyyy (if that’s even a word!). Just looking at that gooey-ness, and applepie-i-ness on the last post makes me want to bake like crazy! How do you stay on track with of those delicious temptations at hand? :P

Dana August 28, 2010 at 9:44 am

Gosh girl! YOU are so fast!! how long have you been running? How the heck did you work up to those stats? I feel like a turtle next to you :p

Dana xoxo

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

I like my brownies rich and moist, which in most cases means lots and LOTS of butter! I love that these use avocado. :D

Fanta August 28, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I couldn’t bake to save my life… however I think I’m just going to have to risk it now! :)

Emilyeatsclean August 28, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Holy deliciousness!! Saving this recipe too!

Geraldine September 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

Just made these with brown sugar (and extra chocolate chips)…amazingly delicious! Thank you!

Michaela June 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Those look sooo good, do you think you could sub coconut oil for the sunflower oil and be fine?