In The Food Lab

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 23, 2010

20100821-IMG_0791

Greetings!

Today turned out to be one of those days, but chickpea salad makes it all better. And dried mangos. Lots and lots of dried mangos.

But first, confession time.

My TJ’s dried mangos are gone.

20100814-IMG_6318

I hid them from myself last Wednesday night when I got home from Chicago and then I couldn’t find them for a full day. I am an old crazy lady who hides her food and forgets where it is, apparently. When I found the beloved hidden mangos on Friday I was so excited I ate the rest of the bag.

And now they are gone…along with a piece of my soul. I tried to blame running 10.5 miles, but let’s be real here, that bag would still be gone run or not. ;)

It’s probably for the better.

20100821-IMG_0838

Summer De-‘lite’ Chickpea Salad

You may recognize this dish from Saturday night’s dinner for six! This chickpea recipe was inspired by the delicious chickpea salad that I consumed mass quantities of at Argo Tea. :) I love when my inspiration comes from my travels.

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, chopped
  • 1/2-1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 handful basil, chopped finely
  • 1-2 cloves minced garlic
  • Homemade Balsamic vinaigrette (1/2 tbsp maple syrup, 3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette, 2 tbsp olive oil, sea salt and pepper to taste)

Directions: In a medium sized bowl combine chickpeas and veggies. In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinaigrette ingredients and mix well. Add the vinaigrette to the veggie/chickpea mixture and stir. Serves up to 6 as a side dish.

20100821-IMG_0781

This chickpea salad is amazing. I had to fight my friend Mary for the leftovers at breakfast on Sunday. ;) It is light, delicious, and ready in a snap. Even the meat & potato eaters loved it.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to put on my lab coat and goggles and go grab some test tubes in my Food Lab. I have a deadline for a recipe challenge to tend to. I will be telling you all about it shortly! :) I will need your support for this one.

I hope our insurance covers small kitchen explosions because this could get ugly.

Page 2 of 2«12
April August 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Your Salad looks Soooo Pretty!

Gillian G. August 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm

this looks wonderful! i have to tell you i made your tomato/basil/crouton bake (to rave reviews), and tonight your recent cupcakes w. avocado frosting recipe, and OHMYGOD. it is one of the top best cakes i’ve ever tasted! thank you for sharing such wonderful creations :)

lauren August 24, 2010 at 12:18 am

hmm… wouldn’t have thought to put all of these ingredients together, but it looks pretty darn tasty. may need to give it a try! thanks for sharing. :)

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 24, 2010 at 2:18 am

As soon as I saw that was inspired by the Argo Tea chickpea salad, I knew it was going to be good!!

Marina August 24, 2010 at 2:46 am

I love chickpea salads!
Got to make some today :)

[email protected] bean to runner bean August 24, 2010 at 2:48 am

Hmm i love chickpeas this salad sounds lovely! and OMG i loooove dry mango, i’d have eaten the whole packet for sure!

Maryann August 24, 2010 at 3:58 am

I love chickpea salads. This looks great. I will try it soon. Good luck with the recipe developmemt, I have no doubt you will succeed. Do you trial recipes at the bakery or in an actual food lab? Sounds like fun!!!

Buttercup August 24, 2010 at 5:57 am

Hi just wanted to say,

i do a version of this salad but my vinaigrette is made of chili sauce (actually something calle Harissa here in France, originally from North Africa) + a whole lemon juice + olive oil.

It feels very different and I’ve noticed men like this version a lot. I dont use onions though.

Kristy August 24, 2010 at 7:19 am

Your chickpea salad looks like it can cure any bad day! :) I LOVE tj’s mango slices!!!

Kristy August 24, 2010 at 7:19 am

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 24, 2010 at 7:34 am

I am so making this for lunch today since I have all the ingredients on hand! I can’t wait!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 24, 2010 at 8:24 am

I love dried mango so much. I don’t buy them, though, because 1) they ain’t cheap, and 2) I can’t get unsweetened dried mango anywhere in this part of the state. Ah well.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

Miss Ange,

I got a pack of those Just Mango Slices the other day hoping they stood a chance. Nope, gone in less than 12 hours. You are not alone, my friend.

Jenny August 24, 2010 at 10:19 am

I’ve suffered from the same thing you have. I just recently started a blog to show my journey to health and wellness. Binge eating is just a shame-feeling battle. It’s awesome you were able to tell people about it, I’ve still had a hard time being able to admit it. I’m figuring it could take years :-/

Daisy August 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I would happily swap you some Trader Joe mangos (or whatever else) for a couple of your GloBars :)

Holly August 25, 2010 at 11:50 am

This recipe is AWESOME! I had it on an ezekiel wrap with avocado and it was so good…I had two! Will make again. Thanks for the recipe!

Chanelle Morin September 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm

This salad was great. I did it with mi xed beans instead as that was all I had on hand. My two year old and my husband even had seconds! I love, love, love all your recipes! I made raw chocolate chip cookies and the raw energy cookies bites yesterday as well for a weekend trip we have. I have also been making VOO and having it evermorning. My son is also hooked now too!

Ranee Franti December 10, 2016 at 7:06 am

Wow this is a great recipe! I can’t wait to try this. Because this is one of my favorite dish. I’ll be trying something like it later this week for sure! Good luck with the recipe development.
Thank you so much for sharing all your recipes.