Long Run Fail

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 20, 2010

Good morning!

Last night I had this enthusiastic idea that I was going to do my 10 mile long run this morning. I was pumped. It would be the most amazing long run I have ever had.

However, I ended up working until about 12:30am and all my good intentions went out the window when my alarm went off at 5:45 this morning. I hit the alarm so hard it fell off the nightstand and I pulled the blanket over my head and fell back into a beautiful, deep, and peaceful sleep until about 7:35. I had a dream about White Chocolate Peanut Butter.

This is what we call a long run fail. They get the best of us sometimes.

We are experiencing an uncharacteristically chilly and crisp Fall-like day today in Southern Ontario! Perhaps it is due to my Fall ramblings from yesterday that did it. At any rate, I might still be able to run later today if I can get a big hunk of my work complete.

Tonight Eric and I are going away for the weekend to visit family at the cottage. We haven’t had a chance to go up all summer due to the Farmer’s market, so it will be so nice to get up there. :)

Before bed last night I whipped up a bowl of High Protein Chocolate Vegan Overnight Oats, using Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Power to amp up the protein. This bowl has about 14-15 grams of protein and more if you add toppings.

20100820-IMG_0569

Chocolate Protein Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate Powder
  • 1 cup Almond milk, original (plus more added in morning to thin out)
  • 1 banana, chopped or made into banana soft serve
  • Toppings: Unsweetened coconut, 1 tbsp TJ’s sunflower seed butter

Directions: Mix the oats, chia seed, and chocolate powder in a small bowl with a whisk. Now pour in milk and whisk until clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight. Add a chopped banana if preferred.

Nutritional information (without banana): 320 kcals, 12 grams fat (3000 mg Omega-3; 900 mg Omega-6), 11 grams fibre, 14 grams protein, 35 grams carbs.

20100820-IMG_0550

Meet a new friend:

20100820-IMG_0566

The sunflower seed butter is really good. Smooth and silky with a hint of sweetness. Much better than my homemade sunflower seed butter that turned into a huge clump of you know what. ;)

20100820-IMG_0552

It was a filling and delicious way to start the day!

20100820-IMG_0562

Word on the street tells me there are a few Amazing Grass coupons left! Just use the code HLS10 in the checkout to receive 25% off your entire order.

I better get back to work. I will see you later alligators! Happy Friday :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Beth @ Will Run for Books August 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Ugggh I have to do my long run tomorrow…. not looking forward to it. Motivation? Hellooooo?

Lauren August 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Oh, don’t worry one bit about the failed run. Every time I miss a planned run, I get really upset at first and then I remember, I have the rest of my life to run. Missing one day is not going to make any difference at all.

Amber K August 20, 2010 at 11:02 am

Those oats look great!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 20, 2010 at 11:07 am

Sometimes sleep just trumps working out! Your bod will thank you :D

Olivia @ Blissful Runner August 20, 2010 at 11:13 am

I love Sun butter! I always say it tastes like baseball season in a jar. :) Last night I drizzled it on a baked sweet potato – yum! Oh, and the cabin sounds like a lovely place for a long run. ;)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

Wow, you work so much! Are you going to be able to hire more help?

Dani @ Body By Nature August 20, 2010 at 11:44 am

I can’t remember life before VOO :) I forgot to make it last night and woke up this morning feeling like I was missing something very important!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 20, 2010 at 11:48 am

Now that it is heating up in Southern California, overnight oats will be my go to breakfast. I was sweating making my last hot oatmeal.

I have the TJs sunflower seed butter, it’s so dense and rich. I love it.

[email protected] August 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hope you get your run in! Don’t worry if you don’t :-)

Viviane August 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Happy Friday to you too Angela :)

Your overnight oats look amazing… must try the cocoa/banana/coconut combo asap!
My husband is not the healthiest eater (yet – I’m having him follow your husband’s progress to motivate him. So far so good, no more soda!) but he really enjoys sunflower butter!

Have a great weekend!

Olivia August 20, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi Ange!
I’m a newish readar, and so far I love your blog :) Random question – how do you keep yourself from picking at the ingredients while baking Glo bars?
I love to bake and cook but i have so much trouble snacking while I prep even when I’m not super hungry. Maybe I’m just don’t have enough patience or self-control!

Thanks,
olivia

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm

It’s REALLY getting hot out here in L.A. so I think I’m on team FALL! :D I love warm comfort foods like roasted squash, veggie chili, and hot chocolate! Ahhh… I can’t wait!

That squash looks seriously amazing–> when it’s cool enough here, I’m going to try it!

Leanne August 20, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Oooooooo, I’m going to need to act fast on that coupon!! Thanks.

Ali August 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Sometimes sleep is much more beneficial to our bodies than a run would be. Good for you for listening to your body!

Sana August 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Yay! for sleeping in! You know we would have ALL done the same thing :)!

Jacquelynn August 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Hey Angela! Thank you soooo much for the Amazing Grass coupon! I just started using the stuff (saw an ad for the 14 day challenge of using it) and luv luv luv it! So, I just used your coupon and ordered more :)

I absolutely love your blog, it is inspiring and I look forward to the new posts. I have been vegan for almost a year, and I find so many rockin’ recipes on your blog. I am sipping an amazing grass green monster as I type :) multi-tasking, lol!

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration.
Sincerely,
Jacquelynn

Devon August 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

PLEASE come work some of your weather mojo here! It’s still 100 degrees down here in TX. I want fall to come so badly I can taste it!!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 20, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I know that feeling of just not wanting to run. Normally I can convince myself to do it anyway, but I’m not running 10 miles so theres definitely a difference. Those oats are practically a work of art, especially in your beautiful pictures!

Nicole August 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm

It doesn’t look like my previous comment went through, so I’m going to try again…

I am a huge fan of sunbutter! I figured out how to make it myself, so you should definitely try again, too! I’ll be posting the process/recipe on my blog tomorrow (adashofcompassion.blogspot.com). It’s cheap and easy – the secret is to toast the seeds and add a bit of oil.

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy August 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Oooh, those overnight oats look fantabulous. I LOVE your photos, and I LOVE the red mug and red spoonie. So vibrant!
If you have a moment, please stop by my blog sometime soon – I think you’d like it!
And speaking of photos, I do believe I might be getting a Canon EOS Rebel t2i soon. OH MY GOSH. It will be hanging around my neck pretty much 24/7. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 20, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Sometimes we just have to pass up on the workout, your body knows best – listen to it. x

Lauren @ 40Apples August 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Aw it happens to the best of us :) It’s good that you gave yourself the sleep you needed, though. And maybe with all that good-sleep energy you’ll be able to make the run happen later!

Really want to try the sunflower seed butter – I’ve been hearing it’s great!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Running gives me a chance to think about life and just run forward and clear my mind.

NEED HELP: :)
P.S. You once told me what kind of camera you have, but I forgot and I’m going camera shopping.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I want to try out that sunflower seed butter! I use Sunbutter, which has no sweetness to it so it doesn’t really taste good paired with sweet things like oatmeal and pancakes.

Have fun at the cottage this weekend! :)

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm

This is a comment on this post and your more recent post.

I love that you write about why you love running – I have just started running about 6 months ago and I have not gotten to the point where I “love” it yet, but your blog still gives me motivation!

chelsey August 21, 2010 at 7:20 am

Yum! I totally want to have chocolate oats now! Thanks for the great idea!

Ashley August 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

i loveyourblog! seriously though, you are the most amazing woman ever, so inspring and positive! no matter how bad my day is going, i always smile while reading your blog because your so healthy and positive! im trying voo for the first time tomorrow! finally earned up enough money to buy chai seeds! so excited! have a great day <3
Ashley

The Vegan Tiffin August 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I have somehow never made overnight oats, but this looks so easy! Thank you for sharing your recipe – I’ll have to do this at some point this week! Do the bananas not turn brown being in the fridge mashed up overnight with the oat mixture? I suppose with the chocolate powder you would not be able to tell, anyway, right?

Sarah August 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hello! I made these for myself last night (I used whey protien powder because I didn’t have Amazing Grass and only 2/3 cup almond milk) but it didn’t thicken very much and there was still a lot of liquid. Any ideas as to why that might be? What could I do to improve it so it becomes thicker, like a porridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hey Sarah, Sometimes I’ve found that the type/brand of oats can absorb different amounts of liquid. Are you using rolled oats? Also, I would try using less almond milk next time and maybe a bit more chia seeds. Goodluck!!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 19, 2013 at 1:48 am

Didn’t know they had sunflower seed butter at TJ, will have to check it out
I need to buy the raw sunflower kernels too, for recipes
The VOO stuffs look very appetizing