Argo Cafe

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 16, 2010

Greetings!

First up, I have some leftover coupons for Amazing Grass to share with you! If you use the code HLS10 you will receive 25% off your entire order of Amazing Grass Products!!! The offer is only good while quantities last and expires at the end of August. For those of you who were asking, my favourite Amazing Grass products are the Chocolate Superfood and Chocolate Amazing Meal Powders. Yum. :)

Yesterday Eric and I were exploring the city of Chicago for 11 hours and we got home late once again. We are having such a blast here. There are lots of things for tourists to do.

We had lunch at the Corner Bakery Cafe:

20100815-IMG_6444

I had the Asian salad with edamame. It was quite good!

20100815-IMG_6415

20100815-IMG_6417

Along with an iced Mighty Leaf Bombay Chai tea.

20100815-IMG_6420

After lunch, we hit the road to explore the city! No plans, no commitments, no schedules. Just good times. When we travel we prefer to do things by the seat of our pants and explore by foot. We made our way to the Water and Air show and it was packed!

Beach:

20100815-IMG_6431

There were thousands of people all over the lakeshore area for the air show.

I saw Vince Vaughn in a parachute (or so I hear!) ;)

20100812-IMG_0006

We each had a Run Glo Bar for fuel:

20100815-IMG_6432

After that we were off to explore more of the city.

20100815-IMG_6443

20100815-IMG_6450 20100815-IMG_6436

20100815-IMG_6441 20100815-IMG_6442

20100815-IMG_6446

Then it was time for lunch #2 at Argo Cafe!

20100815-IMG_6465

I enjoyed the Garden Lentil salad and Eric had the Chicken Panini.

20100815-IMG_6468

The lentil salad was delish!!!

20100815-IMG_6467

I want to try to recreate this at home. :)

20100815-IMG_6472

I also had the Sangria Tea which was awesome and had chunks of fruit in it!

20100815-IMG_6464

After lunch #2, we decided to go to the skydeck to see views of the city.

20100815-IMG_6485

20100815-IMG_6483

20100815-IMG_6484

When we got to the Skydeck we were herded like cattle for about 1 hour and 45 minutes! It was busy, busy, busy. Had we known it would eat up so much time we wouldn’t have gone.

Elevator shot:

20100815-IMG_6516

Finally after about 1 hour 20 minutes we got to the top. The views were great.

20100815-IMG_6490

We couldn’t get over how flat Chicago is. It sure has made my runs a lot easier this week.

20100815-IMG_6496

Oh, damn he glows! ;)

20100815-IMG_6502

Photographer fail. ;)

Glass floor:

20100815-IMG_6505

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

20100815-IMG_6511

Eric said he wanted to get a deep dish pizza while we were here so we headed to Pizza Unos. The wait was about 1-1.5 hours, so we decided to go back during the week when it would be less busy. We decided on California Pizza Kitchen for our immediate pizza fix.

I asked the server if it was possible to have a fully vegan pizza and he said no because the crust had egg in it. Then he said he would ask the chef and the chef came up with a solution for a vegan pizza!

Apparently their thin crust doesn’t have egg, but their regular crust does, so thin crust it was. I wanted thin crust anyways!

20100815-IMG_6520

I asked them to pile on the veggies and use extra sauce. I was so impressed. I ate approximately 89.5% of the pizza. ;) I also had a beer that I drank much too fast and concluded I was dehydrated!

Eric got his love- the BBQ chicken:

20100815-IMG_6522

Happy customers.

After dinner, we walked over to Navy Pier for the evening architecture cruise.

It was so gorgeous at night and so relaxing!

20100815-IMG_6591

We both got a beer. :)

20100815-IMG_6549

Fun pictures ensued. It was also fun learning about the history of all the buildings and the city itself.

20100815-IMG_6553

20100815-IMG_6582

20100815-IMG_6595

20100815-IMG_6523

20100815-IMG_6528

20100815-IMG_6530

We figure we walked a good 8-10 miles yesterday alone. We finally got home around 11:45pm and crashed on the bed. :) We are about to head out for another fun day. I will most likely post tonight, so I will see you then! Have a great start to your week.

Page 2 of 2«12
Caitlin August 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Welcome to my city!! I’m not sure how long you’re here, but you should try to make it up to Victory’s Banner in Roscoe Village. They have amazing vegetarian and vegan breakfast and lunch. It’s easy to get there on the brown line train and they have a website (I’d check it because hours are odd sometimes). It is easily my FAVORITE place to get brunch in the city. You’d also get to see the neighborhood side of chicago – which, in my opinion, is so much more fun than the mag mile!!

[email protected] August 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Man, Chicago is such a great city!! It’s wonderful that you and Eric are able to spend a few extra days there. I love exploring new cities the same way- by foot, with no definite plans :-)

sarah August 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Gorgeous pictures of Chicago! The night pictures are amazing. How did you get them to turnout so well? Have fun doing more exploring!!

Amanda @ Cakes and Ale August 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I’m so glad to see you are loving Chicago! I’ve lived here most of my life, and truly, it is such a beautiful place with so much to do, see, and EAT!
If you have a chance, try to explore some of the neighborhoods north of the city… you’ll see so much more unique stuff if you venture out of the loop / Michigan Ave. area! Head to Lincoln Park or Wicker Park or Bucktown… you’ll love all the little shops / restaurants / etc.
Email me if you want some specific recommendations!

[email protected]'s Going The Distance August 16, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Sangria tea sounds like something I must try SOON!! :) And as usual, you look great in all the pix xx

Bekah @ runtrackmind August 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Such a beautiful display of picutres of your Chicago travels. I do not think that I could have done the Skydeck (scaredy cat that I am) but next time I get to Chicago I want to do that evening architecture cruise.

Alexa @ Sohdalex August 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm

That photo of the ferris wheel is my favorite!!! I love it ;) I can’t want to have the chance to explore this city one day!

Lisa August 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Great pictures of Chicago. I went on a boat tour up the river and it was a fantastic time!

Kris August 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever walked as much as I did in Chicago (okay, maybe Paris, London, or DC). As a former Midwesterner (grew in Mpls.), I wasn’t prepared to be impressed when we went to Chicago three years ago. I LOVED it. So beautiful, walkable, and the nicest people! The pizza is to die for. I hope you and Eric enjoy your stay there!

Sarah August 16, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Your posts about Chicago are inspiring me to start saving up so my husband and I can go again soon! Love it there so much. The food photos you took look great!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 16, 2010 at 1:41 pm

It was so amazing to meet you this weekend!! I loved getting to know you better on the run Friday morning. Thin crust pizza always beats thick, in my book :) Hope you have a great start to your week!

Tracey August 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Chicago is beautiful…I love that city. Glad you’re having fun!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Sounds like a good time! I love wandering around on foot myself :) It lets you see things better than driving around, plus it’s great exercise. Glad you two are having fun!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Love that you had lunch #1 and lunch #2. It reminds me of the hobbits in Lord of the Rings. Breakfast, 2nd breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, supper… Sometimes I feel like I eat that frequently too! :P

Stefanie August 16, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Your pictures are making me miss Chicago. One day I will go back and visit. I’m glad you’re having a great time. :)

Hillary August 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I am sooo glad you are hving a great time in Chi-town. I live in the burbs of Chicago. I was at the air and water show this weekend too!!! It was sooo crowded.
You have to go to the Art Institute of Chicago!! It is amazing! I have been there over 10 times and i love it everytime!

brianne http://beautythroughbalance.wordpress.com August 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for the coupon code! I have been wanting to try amazinggrass stuff for a while and the 25% off gave me the perfect excuse to buy it ;)

Sabine @ thefruitpersuit August 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Hey Ange!

Ok I just came across this and I Just HAD to show you this, I immidiately thought of you (and a few other blogs I love and devour every day that are vegan-inspired)

(I couldn’t post the picture unfortunately)

how cool is that?! I say you need to have one haha, they’re so cute. Kind of makes me think I should convert to vegetarianism/veganism as well ;).

(oh ps just to make clear: I have no connection to that website whatsoever, I was just googling images for my own bloggy!)

love, sabine

Sabine @ thefruitpersuit August 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm

haha it gets even better. I totally forgot the title of your previous post says Making Vegan Sexy! But the bottom if the page shows the title of your previous post ;)

Summer @ Simple Healthy Real August 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for the coupon code. My favorites are the chocolate amazing grass and amazing meal too. I actually use them in a lot of things like oatmeal, pancakes and muffins. The chocolate flavor is awesome and works in a lot of recipes.

Anne August 16, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I know this comment is a bit out of place, but I just noticed your TJ’s sunflower seed butter.

I don’t think there are any TJ’s in Canada yet, but I know that at least some of their nut butters are produced in Canada, and are the same as those available at Bulk Barn. If you love this sunflower seed butter so much, it may be worth a try to see if it is indeed the same.

I, personally, love Bulk Barn’s sunflower seed butter. They also have my favourite peanut butter there (organic natural, with sea salt), which happens to be the same as TJ’s organic natural.

Have fun during your remaining stay in the windy city!

lindsay (goodiesgalore) August 16, 2010 at 4:34 pm

My hands went numb looking at that glass heights shot. So scary. I would kill for another one of those ice tea sangrias. Awesome to meet you this weekend. You’re just as sweet as we imagined.

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm

So great meeting you (albeit briefly) at Karyn’s! If you’re going to go for deep dish, I recommend Giordano’s over Pizzeria Uno- it’s the best! Have fun exploring our city! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Omg omg omg!! My mom and I were just talking about that glass box the other day!! I would FREAK out..the only way I think I could handle it would be to lay down with half my body in the box and half in the building. Dang girl, you’re brave!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Oh my – what a wonderful adventure you have had today! Mr BBB and I are heading on a quick holiday this weekend and I cant wait! I love exploring new towns / cities!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Sangria tea?!?! Sounds amazing! I love your photos by the way. Did you use a tripod?

chelsey August 16, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Yay for living it up in Chicago!!! I love CPK!!!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 16, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I want to recreate the lentil salad also, sounds good.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Omigosh, I never realized how gorgeous of a city Chicago was until now. It’s so cool. The architecture is very modern!

Holly August 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I hope you recreate the lentil salad as well!!! I wish we had a place like that…..all the yummy food where I live!!!

Christena August 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Your pictures are FANTASTIC, especially the night shots. Looks like you guys are having fun!

Jessica (Fit and Clean) August 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm

oooh, those glass floors high up give me vertigo, LOL! Just looking at the pick! :) I would LOVE to try some of your bars, and give some away on my blog for others to try. They look delicious! It looks like Chicago was a lot of fun. The architecture is astounding!

LisaG August 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Love the beautiful pictures! Glad you got to hang out w/ my friend Gina.

Kristen August 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for sharing your tour of Chicago! It looks amazing! I am running the Chicago Marathon in October and we are going to spend the 2 days before touring the city, so it is nice getting some ideas of what we should do, and restaurants we should eat at! (I am forcing my hubby + non-veg friends to a vegetarian restaurant!) Can’t wait to see more pics of your travels!

Melissa August 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Apparently it was Vince! :)

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 16, 2010 at 11:02 pm

That glass thing looks way too scary for me. No thank you! And I really want a corner bakery and coffee shop. Especially one that serves salad like the one in your pic!

amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler August 17, 2010 at 12:42 am

I saw shots of the architecture cruise during the day via Healthy Tipping Point, and your evening pictures are beautiful! I’m not sure which I like better!

That sangria tea looks delicious.

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 17, 2010 at 9:03 am

Hey Angela! Isn’t Chicago fabulous? Random question – I heart your uber cute black top? Where did you get it? I need to go shopping. : )