Karyn’s On Green: Making Vegan Sexy

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 15, 2010

Good morning!

Karyn’s on Green was lots of fun! Gosh, I wish this restaurant was in my area. They make the best vegan food I have ever tried. Yes, it’s true. I was lucky to be able to sample several dishes and everything I tried was spot on perfection.

20100814-IMG_6331

We had the upstairs lounge reserved and it was very swanky inside.

20100814-IMG_6333

A large group of about 35-40 of us!

20100814-IMG_6387

Several husbands came too! Score. ;)

After looking over their amazing drink menu, I was swept away by the moment and decided a classic martini sounded so fabulous.

20100814-IMG_6349-2

We had three bartenders/servers.

20100814-IMG_6361

This classic martini was made up of Plymouth Gin, Lillet Blanc, Angostura orange, lemon peel.

It was strong and I could only sip 1/2 of it throughout the night! I didn’t want anything with tons of sugar though so it was perfect to sip on.

20100814-IMG_6362

Finally got to meet more awesome ladies! I have known Mara since we started our blogs in 2008. It was so fun to meet in person.

20100814-IMG_6352

Same with Sheila and Jenn!

20100814-IMG_6368

Sheila invited us to California….trouble!!! ;)

20100814-IMG_6389

Now, I must tell you about this food. I always feel like I am failing miserably when I describe food that truly changes my life because no words seem worthy of describing the taste bud explosion that went on in my mouth last night.

A few of us decided to split a bunch of appetizers and mains! It was such a good idea because we all got to sample everything.

I was raving to everyone about the Heirloom Beets (made up of citrus beet purée, apple, dill) so we got it again.

20100814-IMG_6381

Bears, BEETS, Battlestar Galactica!!!!! ;)

20100814-IMG_6379

Tons of us also got the Wild Mushroom Risotto (made up of smoked foraged mushrooms).

It is off. the. hook. I can’t handle the goodness. I would pay good money for this recipe!!!!

20100814-IMG_6386

I didn’t try the Maki Roll (red beet, avocado, cucumber, jalapeño, carrot, rice, spicy aioli), but heard they were good!

20100814-IMG_6371

And now for the grande finale.

I present the Arugula pizza with yukon potatoes and caramelized onion.

20100814-IMG_6390

I know, I know, you are probably thinking a huge ???? right now. Please believe me when I say that this picture didn’t come close to doing it justice.

It had a homemade vegan cheese sauce. It was the BEST thing in the world.

20100814-IMG_6395

I desperately want to know how they made the cheese sauce!!! I’m thinking some kind of cashew blend??

Everyone loved the pizza.

The Crab Cakes (sautéed spinach, creole mustard aioli) were also delicious:

20100814-IMG_6392

Diana also said the tofu was great! I think it was tofu anyways!

20100814-IMG_6391

Eric had the ‘chicken’ legs (sweet potato hash, swiss chard, sweet barbecue sauce) and he inhaled it before I got a picture! lol.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Karyn herself and she is really nice!

20100814-IMG_6369

Eric and I got back to the hotel room around 11:30pm…of course, never as early as I hope!

This morning was the big 5k & 10k Healthy Living Summit fun run at 8am.

Tons of people met in the lobby…

20100815-IMG_1978

20100815-IMG_1977

20100815-IMG_1979

I did the 10k and it got really hot out there. Many of us hit a wall around mile 4! We took lots of walking breaks.

Gorgeous scenery of course…

20100815-IMG_1983

I think we did the 10k in just under 55 mins.

20100815-IMG_1981

20100815-IMG_1982

It was a fun and challenging run. I headed straight to the breakfast in the conference room and loaded up on fruit!

Eric and I split it…

20100815-IMG_6406

And we each had a muffin to go with it.

20100815-IMG_6408

The conference was a whirlwind of fun. Eric and I are here until Wednesday and very excited to do lots of touristy things over the nest few days! :) We might go to the water and air show this afternoon. :)

Enjoy your day!

Page 2 of 2«12
Sarah for Real August 15, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I wanted to tell you that I’ve been enjoying your recaps of the HLS better than any others. Maybe it’s because you took your husband (something I would do too), I guess I don’t know why! You are very inclusive and not acting too cool for the rest of us who didn’t go. Thanks!

[email protected] August 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Wow, all of that vegan food looks fabulous!! Have fun in Chicago- what an awesome city :-)

Megan August 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm

That vegan place looks amazing! I definitely have to make it to the Summit next year! Glad you had fun!

Shanna, Like Banana August 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I must make a return trip to Chicago just to try Karyn’s…thanks for showcasing it!

Lindsay August 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Angela,
I know you have no idea who I am or where I blog from, but I have lived in the chicago area and get into the city ALL OF THE TIME for shopping. Please go to the Chicago Diner, it is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. I am sure you will LOVE it. 3411 N. Halsted, Chicago IL – ph 773-935-6696. They also have a vegan bakery on-site that I am sure that you will LOVE!! :)

Heather McClees August 15, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Hey Angela! I love seeing your trip posts!! Hope you’ve had a great time, looks like you have:)

Amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) August 16, 2010 at 12:22 am

Wow, looks like so much fun! I want to be there next year!

So many driven, beautiful, talented bloggers in one place. Awesome.

Laura (Starloz) August 16, 2010 at 12:25 am

oh, thats so incredible. Vegan food is hard to find in Australia. Being a vegetarian is strange here!

Katherine August 16, 2010 at 12:27 am

Gin with Lillet Blanc is my favorite gin martini! MMM so good!

Julia August 16, 2010 at 2:23 am

I love a classic Martini! It’s such a simple but great cocktail.
And who would’ve thought that a vegan restaurant could look soooooo unbelievably sexy?????

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and have a great time exploring Chicago the next days!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 16, 2010 at 6:49 am

Nooo Angela- it was a polenta dessert, not tofu!! Was SO delicious :D

Daniel Honigman August 16, 2010 at 7:18 am

Karyn’s IS great, but I wish you had given my table a heads up before you had taken a picture of the restaurant’s facade. (Yes, we were the folks sitting down in your picture on the top!)

Not mad or anything, and I’m not asking you to take the picture down; just wish you were a bit more courteous!

Kristy August 16, 2010 at 7:59 am

Karyn’s looks amazing and beautiful along with the food! Looks like you had a great time in the city with all the bloggers!

Lauren August 16, 2010 at 8:27 am

LOVED your Jim v. Dwight comment tucked in the post ;)

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

Looks like Karyn’s was fabulous! Have a great time here in Chicago until Wednesday – the weather has finally let up and it’s perfect, not too hot and humid.

Gena August 16, 2010 at 9:02 am

Ange, I’m SO sorry I didn’t make it to this lovely meal! I was so tired by the end of summit day. It looks like a total success :)

[email protected] August 16, 2010 at 9:26 am

its so lovely to see everyone out enjoying some exercise while remaining gorgeous enough to snap a good photo :)
im in awe over the food served! thats amazing!!

xoxo

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 16, 2010 at 9:32 am

Ahhh sounds amazing! I’m just getting through your HLS posts now that I’m back in the bloggy world and it looks incredible! What an amazing group of ladies to run with too! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip! :)

Jennifer Stallings August 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I just got back from Chicago with my sister and we went to Karyns on Green because we are both veggies. I picked the exact same pizza and it was SO SO GOOD. The Maki rolls were great too! That’s so fun you went with a large group of people because it was a very quiet restaurant on the first floor!

Melissa August 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Go to the Signature Room at the John Hancock tower for a drink or brunch – great views (you could have gotten same view from here rather than Sears Tower and saved the time/money).

I’m from WI so Chicago holds a dear place in my heart, especially since my now husband proposed to me on the bridge of flags on Michigan Ave!!

Enjoy your stay! :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm

That looks incredible. I went to Chicago last year and ate at Karyn’s Cooked and it was fantastic. It was also my first vegan restaurant so it holds a special place in my heart!

michelle August 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

your blog is so inspiring! i really want to get into exercising but i don’t know how to get the energy to do so. any tips?

Amanda August 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Angela,

I’m so glad you loved Chicago! I live about 2.5 hours away and get up there every chance I can! Could you let me know who the girl on the very right of your 10K picture is? She did the Illinois Marathon (I can see by her shirt!) and so did I. I’d love to know if she has a blog or lives around here! Love all your pictures from the Chi!!

Thanks for showing all the healthy eating spots around the city, I’m definitely going to try that tea place next time I’m up!