On The Loose

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 13, 2010

Good afternoon!

We had a ball of a time in Chicago today. A big group of us met in the lobby around 11am and hit the road!

20100813-IMG_6016

Of we went, cameras in tote.

20100813-IMG_6020

20100813-IMG_6027

20100813-IMG_6033 20100813-IMG_6035

Hmmm….

20100813-IMG_6036

Oh boy.

20100813-IMG_6037

THE BEAN!

20100813-IMG_0120

20100813-IMG_0122

A photographer’s dream mirrored bean basically!

20100813-IMG_6039

20100813-IMG_6043

20100813-IMG_6047

20100813-IMG_6048

The inside of the bean…like ovaries almost!? ;)

20100813-IMG_6055

I asked Eric if he wanted to come out with us crazy gals and he was all for it. I think he is living it up with all these gorgeous ladies! ;) Every time I ask him if he minds being with all women, he says he is having fun and has this big goofy grin on his face. Oh boy.

20100813-IMG_6058

20100813-IMG_6059

20100813-IMG_6060

20100813-IMG_6061

hehehe

20100813-IMG_6063

I love the architecture.

20100813-IMG_6078

We found a cute place for lunch called Argo Tea.

20100813-IMG_6083

20100813-IMG_6085

20100813-IMG_6087

They have a full menu of iced and hot teas. I pretty much died and went to heaven. I got the White Tea Acai Squeeze and it was incredible.

20100813-IMG_6089

Their entire menu has calorie counts! I’m not sure if that is common around here or not…as I haven’t noticed it elsewhere.

20100813-IMG_6090

They had lots of vegan options too!!! Amazing.

20100813-IMG_6091

My lunch:

20100813-IMG_6093

20100813-IMG_6098

20100813-IMG_6100

20100813-IMG_6106

20100813-IMG_6109

20100813-IMG_6113

Oh my gosh it was so amazing. All of us loved it.

20100813-IMG_6116

Everyone I have met here is so nice. I feel so lucky to meet all of these fabulous women through the blogging community. :) Lots of friendships have blossomed.

20100813-IMG_6117

20100813-IMG_6120

The Trump tower. I heard he is having trouble trying to fill it!

20100813-IMG_6123

20100813-IMG_6126

20100813-IMG_0146

Then I had my first trip to Trader Joe’s. Oh dear me.

20100813-IMG_6131

We had a field day!

20100813-IMG_0157

20100813-IMG_0158

On the loose in a fun grocery store. Never a good sign.

When I get this look in my eyes Eric knows only bad things can come of it. ;)

20100813-IMG_0159

Our last stop was a wonderful chocolate place called Vosges Haute Chocolate. They had lots of vegan options too. The lady who worked there was a vegan and showed me her two favs and I picked those up for a special treat.

20100813-IMG_6132

20100813-IMG_6134

I will show you the TJ’s loot and chocolate in my next post.

I’m off to get ready for dinner and the HLS Cocktail party. We’re getting all gussied up. ;) Have a great night!

Page 2 of 2«12
Judy August 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm

What a fun post! Looks like you had a fun time, and I have to admit I recognize that look you mention – I get the same one when I am loose in a specialty or vegan-centered store. :)

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 13, 2010 at 9:41 pm

First trip to TJs?! Do they not have Trader Joe’s in Canada? :-O

Valerie August 13, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I love Trader Joe’s! We don’t have one anywhere in my state but my dad always used to bring it home from trips and all my friends in other states constantly rave about it. I love their chocolate covered fruits, but half the fun is just running around the store : ) I finally got to go there when I was sixteen and it was probably the highlight of that summer for me :P

Maissa August 13, 2010 at 9:48 pm

AHHH looks like so much fun! I’m jealous of all you HLSers. I wish I could have gone. Oh well, next year I suppose.

I love trader joe’s. The worst thing about moving to Canada (although everything else has been fantastic) was no longer being able to shop there.

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 13, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Ahhhh I wish we had an Argo Tea where I live!

chelsey August 13, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yesssssss for TJ’s! I’m glad you liked it – you are too pretty!

Gree August 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm

What a delicious looking day! I get the same look in Trader Joe’s, their coffee is awesome and a great deal!

Ashley August 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm

SO much fun!! SO excited for you guys. Funny about eric ;) xoxox

Ann August 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I can’t believe I left Chicago before HLS! It sounds like you’re having a ton of fun. Vosges is soo delicious, and you should try the triple decker hummus at TJ! Original, red pepper and cilantro hummus. YUMMY.

Katherine August 13, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I grew up in Chicago and I love the Chicago updates! They ARE having a major issue filling up the Trump Building. My Dad actually owns and rents a unit in the building (bought the unit way before the recession when it was under construction). The units are super small and way overpriced. They are having issues turning them around.

Charlie August 14, 2010 at 12:04 am

I am so intrigued by Trader Joe! I definitely have to go someday ;)

I heard that we can find calories on menus at some places but I never found one that does. It is such a great idea, especially since most restaurant dishes are very high in calories. But I guess that these are not the restaurants that show the information.

jenn (GH) August 14, 2010 at 1:09 am

Your pictures are making me nostalgic. I have many good memories visiting Chicago and it’s been a few years since we have been there.

Love that picture of your first time in TJ’s. How fun! Can’t wait to see what you got. I do 90% of my shopping there since it’s less than a mile from my house!

have Fun!

Amy August 14, 2010 at 1:10 am

Omg! Vosges has such amazing chocolate! Their obscure mixtures are absolute perfection for an adventurous chocolate lover like myself.

I am not sure if they are only sold in Chicago, but their store is so fun to visit…
Can you say chocolate samples? Yum!

Camille August 14, 2010 at 1:12 am

Isn’t TJ’s the best!
It’s my favorite grocery store!

Wei-Wei August 14, 2010 at 2:32 am

Hurray for TJ’s and the BEAN! Are all the bloggers at the HLS split up into groups? I haven’t seen this post on anyone else’s blog yet! :P

Wei-Wei

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 14, 2010 at 7:18 am

Ahh so jealous you got to go to TJs! I think Canada needs to hop on that bandwagon and open some TJs asap!

LOL at the ovaries comment!

ERika August 14, 2010 at 7:26 am

Your husband seems to be the sweetest even tempered person – so sweet that he hung out with the girls and had a good time!!

Erika August 14, 2010 at 7:27 am

oh and as i am reading your blog i am eating spelt pancakes for one -Angela Style !

Tracey August 14, 2010 at 8:17 am

Chicago is a gorgeous and fun city. I love it! If you have time on your trip, I definitely recommend doing the boat architecture tour. It is so amazing to see all the unique buildings around the city. Have fun!

eat move love August 14, 2010 at 8:21 am

Oh wow Chicago looks amazing. Those pictures of the buildings. I want to move back to a city already! …although I’d complain about that too ;)…suck it up right?!

Lori August 14, 2010 at 8:36 am

FYI, for all you who don’t have a Trader Joes in your state here is the scoop. TJ makes alot of money on the liquor sales and doesn’t open stores in states with restrictive liquor laws. Therefore, me being in California we have many. We love our liquor and our Napa Valley wines!!!!!

faith @ gracefulfitness August 14, 2010 at 8:39 am

That story about Eric reminds me of when I was in college earning a degree in dance. The department was, not surprisingly, 99% women and so all the parties were quite estrogen heavy. My husband never complained about hanging out with a bunch of dancers though, in fact, his friends would try to score an invite!

Sarah August 14, 2010 at 8:54 am

Love the fork attached to the bowl :) So convenient!! I’m easily entertained by little things like forks.

Have a fabulous time in Chicago!!

Lauren August 14, 2010 at 9:07 am

Vosges is the absolute BEST in Chicago! My favorite is the Organic Chocolate Enchanted Mushroom Bar and the Rooster! Mmm =)

Amber K August 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

What an awesome day! The food looks fantastic!

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

Those bean pics are amazing and Eric grin is so funny.

I’m all about tea restaurants so I’ve book marked that when Hunni and I go visit a friend.

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I just want to say how beautiful all of you fine food bloggers are! The HLS looks like so much fun. I am exactly the same way in a great grocery store!

Ed August 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m so glad you had fun in Chicago! About the calorie counts…in the states, health and food regulations are often tested in New York City (requirements from the FDA, like ingredient lists). Recently, New York has required restaurants to offer calorie counts on menus. This has caused some places to really switch up their menus, since patrons are realizing things they though were healthy, well, weren’t (chicken tenders salad with cream dressing, anyone?). California has also jumped on this wagon. I’m seeing the effects of it in Boulder, particularly with chain restaurants that have had their menus redesigned. The companies order new menus for all the locations and suddenly I’m benefiting from New York and California. Other cities are catching on and you probably hit up a restaurant that is well-aware of current events. I know I adore seeing the calorie counts because it really makes me think about what I want to eat.
P.S. Sorry for the novel comment, I’m just excited to see calorie counts transitioning to the Midwest! :)

Dominique August 22, 2010 at 10:34 am

Great views of the city. It totally makes me wish I had bought a ticket early enough to attend. Now I’m really looking forward to next year’s HLS if there is one. I can’t wait to see what you picked up from Vosges. BF and I were at the one in NYC last summer and we had quite a hard time picking out just a couple of bars. I love TJ’s! I really wish it would come to Toronto! I once had someone mail me a bunch of stuff from TJ’s via FedEx. It was a really crazy order but I was dying for some TJ goodies.