Birthday Burgers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 11, 2010

Good evening!

Eric thanks you for your birthday wishes! :)

Today has been a whirlwind day! Crazy, crazy, crazy trying to get caught up on work before I leave tomorrow. Just when I thought I was caught up I got an order for 150 Glo Bars! Madness.

I asked Eric what he wanted for his birthday dinner tonight. I said I would make him anything he wanted.

‘A juicy burger’ was his request.

And so it was done like dinner.

IMG_1884

These are the burgers he picked up at Whole Foods on the weekend.

IMG_1886

He said it was delicious!

IMG_5942

I had a Curry Chickpea Burger that I popped out of the freezer. Still lovin’ those in a huge way. They just might be my favourite homemade veggie burger.

Despite the mad house, dishes piled up all over the kitchen, and my still unpacked suitcase, I made Eric birthday cupcakes because I strongly believe that a birthday without flour, sugar, and icing is a crime against all things good and true. He agreed with me. ;)

I made him burger cupcakes! :)

IMG_5901

IMG_5946

Birthday Cupcake ‘burgers’ with Secret Green Frosting

Vanilla cupcakes adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.

Cupcake Ingredients:

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance OR 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350.  Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Whisk the almond milk and vinegar in a mixing cup.  Allow to curdle for a few minutes. Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract.  Sift together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet ingredients, mixing until just incorporated and no lumps remain. Taste the batter, it is incredible. Pour into muffin liners and bake for 20-22 minutes.  Cool completely before frosting. Makes 12 cupcakes.

IMG_5910

Avocado ‘Buttercream’ Frosting

Adapted from Alton Brown.

• Meat from 1 very ripe avocado, pitted
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: Peel and pit avocado. Place avocado, lemon juice, and vanilla into a processor (alternatively you can use a stand mixer or hand mixer). Process/mix about 2-3 minutes scraping sides of bowl when necessary. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and process/mix. Store in refrigerator when not using. Apparently it doesn’t turn brown either, although I did not verify this entirely. Use at own risk! ;) makes enough to frost 16-24 cupcakes (I had lots leftover after these 12).

IMG_5906

The frosting was VERY mild, as in, it wasn’t very sweet. It tasted like a very mild butter cream frosting, with just a hint of lemon and sweetness. I did not detect the avocado in there at all and Eric and my mother-in-law didn’t either! They both really loved the frosting because they didn’t feel sick after eating a cupcake.

The frosting also had a great texture! It was not too slick and it sat well on the cupcakes and didn’t slide around. If I had more time I would have tried piping with it.

IMG_5908

These would make great St Patty’s Day cupcakes! :)

IMG_5918

It was fun to eat. :)

IMG_5939

I told my in laws they could have the leftovers, but Eric seems to think he is bringing them on the plane with him tomorrow. LOL. What a cupcake monster. Security would probably ‘confiscate’ them…

I made 4 varieties: rainbow sprinkles, coconut, cocoa powder, and cacao nibs.

IMG_5920

All of us thought these were quite tasty. Very light and a great way to use up an avocado!

IMG_5921

IMG_5950

Well, I have packages to ship, a suitcase to fill, and dishes to clean. I’ll see you in the windy citaaaay! :)

Page 2 of 2«12
[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 12, 2010 at 6:11 am

Those are so cute and such interesting ingredients, love it. Enjoy your trip.

Christie {Honoring Health} August 12, 2010 at 6:11 am

I know I won’t be standing out in the crowd when I say this but:

OMG, those cupcakes are so cute! Love them!

lauren August 12, 2010 at 6:40 am

I’m bringing my boyfriend to HLS, who is also named Eric, so maybe Eric and Eric will have to get together while we are doing other stuff!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 12, 2010 at 6:53 am

Oh my goodness what a genius way to make vegan icing!!!! This is the second really amazing avocado recipe I’ve seen today. I think it’s a sign.

Kelly August 12, 2010 at 7:13 am

Super duper cute!! Does the avocado brown in the frosty after awhile? Or did you guys eat them all too fast to find out? ;)

Have fun in Chicago!! :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 12, 2010 at 7:18 am

Those cupcakes are so pretty. The green is the perfect color–I think they look like springtime.

Lindsay August 12, 2010 at 7:25 am

Cute cupcakes!! I’m very intrigued by this avocado frosting…may have to try that soon!

Kiersten August 12, 2010 at 7:33 am

The avocado buttercream sounds delish! I’ve been trying to figure out how to use avocado in sweets, but I haven’t had much luck.

leatitia August 12, 2010 at 7:38 am

Those cupcakes looks delish! What a neat idea, use an avocado in frosting!

Travel safe and have fun!! :)

Mackenzie August 12, 2010 at 7:54 am

Angela I love your site! Have fun in Chicago– my home!!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 12, 2010 at 8:21 am

Angela those cupcakes are so adorable! You are such a sweet wife :)

Veronique @ Hooked on Health August 12, 2010 at 8:49 am

Wow those cupcakes look amazing! I would have never thought to use avocados for frosting, but that is such a smart idea! Regular icing usually makes me sick, I don’t want the frosting to take away from the sweetness of the cupcake. Lovely recipe :)

Sarah August 12, 2010 at 8:50 am

Those cupcakes are darling :)

Ashley August 12, 2010 at 8:50 am

Just made these cupcakes the other day and I think they were my favorite vanilla cupcakes EVER. So freaking delicious. Love the frosting too…I definitely feel sick from eating buttercream. Not the biggest frosting fan!

lauren M. August 12, 2010 at 10:19 am

My favorite favorite thing about baking vegan treats is that YOU CAN EAT THE BATTER!!! without worrying about eggs and stuff…. :)))))

ERika August 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

My eyes are bugging out of my head looking at those cupcakes – they look amazing!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 12, 2010 at 10:29 am

I’ve heard of using avocado in the cake batter, but never in the frosting. That’s an awesome idea! And it’s such a good way to sub in some healthy fats!

Amber K August 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

That is such a neat cupcake idea!

Kennedy August 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Those are the cutest cupcakes I have ever seen!! I’m not much of a baker but I really want to try these out. Thanks for sharing :)
And have fun at the Healthy Living Summit! Will you take your blog ‘on location?’

: : Christine : : August 12, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I would have NEVER thought of making little cupcake sandwiches – brilliant!

Can’t wait to try.

Mac August 12, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Very creative cupcakes!

Katie August 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Oh Angela! Tell Eric I said Happy Birthday! Looks like he had a wonderful one! I love the cupcakes!!!!!!!!! How cute! I also love your frosting addition, sounds amazing! Angela you are always making something amazing! I hope to see you have a cookbook in the future!!!! Have a safe trip to Chicago, I hope you and Eric have a blast! I LOVE Chicago! xoxo

Ann August 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

The cupcakes look so cute! Eric’s a lucky man! :)

Lele August 12, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Um, those cupcakes are the cutest things I’ve ever seen.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear August 13, 2010 at 2:18 am

Those cupcakes are sooooo cute :) and I wouldn’t mind eating Eric’s burger either!

Robyn March 13, 2013 at 6:29 am

I am thrilled to have found a naturally green vegan frosting for my daughter’s 1st birthday party! She was nearly a St Patricks Day baby, and her party is shamrock themed this year. Looking forward to making these tomorrow!

Robyn March 18, 2013 at 6:30 am

These were great btw! I didn’t do the burger look, just the cupcakes w/ the green frosting in shamrock cupcake wrappers. Perfect for Emma’s birthday party. She loved it too!

Charlotte April 22, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Hi,
I made these tasty cupcakes and realized I would have benefitted from some details in your directions. My batter was sooooo runny. I was really worried about it. Turned out okay, but I almost quit midway through as I’ve never baked such a runny batter. Wish you had described what I was headed for. Also, I sub’d 25% very fine oat flour and a bit of almond flour to add flavor… I would like it if you made sub suggestions. The size of the avocado also posed some consternation. Mine was relatively large, so I went a little at a time because again, I didn’t really know what consistency to expect so I was winging it. Pix of the process would be great.