A Green Holiday

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 2, 2010

Happy Civic Day to my Canadian readers! I hope you are enjoying a lovely Monday off.

I’m not feeling too good this morning! We went to a friend’s last night and I am now nursing a Wii and beer hang-over. Never a good combo! I did however, win the coveted prize as the Boxing Queen though, so I guess all was not lost. I am a ninja at that game. I have no skill aside from thrashing my arms and legs, but it seems to work.

I woke up around 7am and drank a couple huge glasses of Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder + H20. It helped a lot! I don’t know what I would do without Amazing Grass products.

I also watched a gorgeous sunrise and woke my body up with some natural light. Nothing beats summertime mornings!

IMG_5085

Recently, a reader from Switzerland (the home of Müesli!) emailed me to tell me that Vegan overnight oats are even better when you make a big batch and keep it in the fridge for several days. She said that it tastes better the longer it soaks for.

I decided to make a bulk batch that would be good for 3 servings.

3-Day supply of Vegan Overnight Oats

• 1 heaping cup oats
  • 3.25 cups almond milk
  • 3.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1-1.5 tbsp Amazing Grass Chocolate protein powder
  • Cinnamon, optional
  • 3 mashed bananas (if you won’t be making the banana soft serve parfait)

Directions: Mix dry ingredients in a large container. Add almond milk and then whisk very well. Place in fridge overnight. Makes 3 servings.

For breakfast I made a Chocolate Cake Batter Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait!

IMG_5095

It was delicious as I hoped it would be! I made 2 layers of cacao nibs hidden in the middle! The cacao nibs really make the parfait because they are so crunchy.

IMG_5119

Green, green, green!

IMG_5103

It feels like it has been forever since I made a VOO parfait! Oh, how I missed it.

IMG_5106

IMG_5110

I am off to meet a girlfriend at the mall this morning. I need to find Eric a birthday gift as his birthday is August 11th. This afternoon, I am helping Eric and a couple of the guys with renos in the basement…sanding, dry wall, and painting!! Eric has taught me a lot about renos and my skill is slowly but surely improving.

Imagine ME holding THIS.

Scary, I know. I’m not going to rule out the possibility that I could do some major damage to the walls, myself, or Eric. He was warned.

Today’s question: Are you a handy woman? Do you do any home-related projects or are you a whiz with power tools?

Page 2 of 2«12
Tracey August 2, 2010 at 11:16 am

That parfait looks amazing! I am definitely not a very handy person. I can do minor things such as change lightbulbs, hang shelves, paint, etc, but when it comes to building or fixing things, I call for help. Chris and I are trying to learn to be handy, but it comes with many mistakes….that’s what first houses are for though right? It’s our practice house ;) Have a great day shopping!

Kathryn August 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’m so glad I found out about amazing grass from your blog. I just love their stuff. This weekend was a HUGE yoga and music festival. HARD yoga classes all day and music late at night. The amazing grass with the mate and macha really kept me going when I was tired and sore.

I’m a ninja with a chop saw and nail gun now. I put all of the baseboard in my house and mitered the bullnose corners and everything. It was kind of fun to school my husband on a “man” project.

Hope you feel better today!

Pam August 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

I’m so glad you like Amazing Grass products, because it’s an extra confirmation for me. Some (totally non-healthy) friends of mine have been using the products and rave about them. I’ve been dying to try it, so will buy a can for travel in a few weeks. (I’ll remember it makes a good hangover remedy, too, lol)!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

I’ve been living on my own (as in not with family and not in a university residence) for 3 years now, and I although I have ZERO power tool experience, I’m a lot more ‘handy’ than I used to be. I’ve managed to do quite a few superglue fixes and I’ve put together my fair share of IKEA products (although I’m not sure if that qualifies), but for any major catastrophes I go straight to my next door neighbour who can fix pretty much anything!

I hope you’re feeling better this afternoon – the mall always helps! :)

Mama Pea August 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

I had green juice this morning for similar reasons. Cheers!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

I surprised myself the other day by helping my Mom with her backyard rennovations. She’s putting down river rocks by her pool, so I spent a good 5 hours shoveling river rock. Not only was I able to get the rocks in place, but it was an incredible upper body workout. I was horribly sore the next day!

I can’t get over how gorgeous your breakfast parfaits are. I just got a food processor, so I can’t wait to try them.

Holly August 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I wish I were handy! I am always surrounded by handy people… I’ve just been waiting for it to rub off on me. Surely, it will eventually. No?

Brooke August 2, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh wow! You are far braver than I! No way could I wield such an intimidating and dangerous looking weapon…er, tool. Good luck!!

Crystal August 2, 2010 at 12:58 pm

When I was a preteen my parents renovated the upstairs of our house. I was mostly the helper, as in, the one that had to help hold up that huge piece of SUPER HEAVY gyprock while my parents nailed it into place. Painting was another thing I was destined to do as a child. But I enjoy it! I am looking forward to when I have my own place and can do renovations. :)

Btw, how does the VOO parfait taste without the chia seeds? I found some nearby but they are quite expensive.

Briana August 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm

i TRIED to make the banana soft serve last night and it did not turn out so good :( i dont know what i am doing wrong!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I’m way too much of a klutz to be handy with any sort of tool!

Maria August 2, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Hey Angela,
I’ve been a huge fan of your blog for quite sometime but i haven’t gotten around to getting your glowbars but this year I promise to try them haha.

I am a runner and I am looking to go vegan for many of the same reasons (ethical, environmental, health, and then of course I feel so much better the less animal products I consume). How many times do you work out? Do you mix cardio with weights? I’ve been vegetarian for a while now and would love to make the transition :) Sorry if this is a long winded post, I was just curious because I do run, but I also do weight training fairly regularly for a teen.

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life August 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm

AMEN to Amazing Grass. I don’t know what I would do without it either!!

Leanne August 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm

This may be a silly question but what oats do you use in overnight oats? Could i use Quaker Oldfashion Oats? Also, would soy milk work just as well as almond milk? Thanks in advance!

k8 August 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I loveeeeee power tools. I have been known to just cut up piles of wood just for fun. People think I’m weird.

Miranda @ MirandasJeans August 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I like to think of myself as a handywoman. I enjoyed helping my hubby renovate our basment from scratch last summer. I even used his hammer drill to dill holes into our concrete floor to secure the frames for the walls. I cut the lumber to make the frames with his chop saw, as long as I am given clear directions as to what he wants and shows me how to use the equipment, I’m good to go!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans August 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm

ps. but I don’t like to get my hands dirty so no fencing or digging for me. I hate dirt under my nails. LOL

Amber K August 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Not at all! I’m so glad my husband is good at and loves all of that kind of stuff.

Leanne August 2, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’ve never tried the soft serve parfait, but I’m going to have to and soon. It looks amazing. I’m not handy at all – I really wish I was but I just don’t have enough time in the day to wear another hat. My next goal is to learn how to sew and then sew a dress for myself, it has been a life long dream. :)

Michelle @ Housewife In The Raw August 2, 2010 at 4:39 pm

That parfait looks SO good. I’ll be making it soon! I’m not handy, but I aspire to be. Have you checked out the Young House Love blog yet? They keep inspiring me to try all these new things and the husband keeps telling me to get off their blog since his ‘honey-do’ list grows each time I check it. :)
www.younghouselove.com

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I painted for the first time only a few weeks ago – and guess what – its a great workout! hehe

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 2, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I am most certainly NOT a handy woman!!! I rely way too much on my husband to do things around the house, and he’s not all that handy himself! Maybe a handy woman tutorial is in order?

Norwegianette August 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Just found this and thought the result it gave for so many blogs, including OSG and my own was sooo spot on! You should all try it, it lets you plug in the name of a blog and based on that it guesses what type of advice it gives, what type of person writes it etc. :) http://www.typealyzer.com/?lang=en

beetred August 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I am not a handy-lady but I made a console table for our itty bitty hallway a few months ago and it was a seriously inspiring experience. I LOVE the table, it costed about $30 bucks and I felt like a bad ass putting that thing together with power tools ;) Great workout too! I think everyone should build a piece of furniture to cherish.

MB August 4, 2010 at 7:41 am

Last summer my bf and I built a 20′ x 22′ addition on our camp. It’s not completely finished but it’s enclosed and we’re chipping away at it. I had a hard time walking on the roof rafters and getting on the staging but it was a good workout. ;)