Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 6

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 24, 2010

Greetings!

I am impressed, the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Vegan Overnight Oats held me over a full 5 hours this morning! I was high energy all morning long. I swear it is from those chia seeds, bursting with antioxidants, protein, calcium, iron, and fibre! I have been increasing my chia seeds from 1 tbsp to 1.5-2 tbsp in my VOO and I really enjoy it.

The Farmer’s Market went well today! In fact, we had our best-selling week yet. A lot of customers buy the bars in bulk and then pop them in the freezer until they are ready to eat them. It is a great trick if you want them to last a long time. I actually enjoy eating the Glo Bars straight from the freezer in the summer- very refreshing!

The Chocolate Chip Glo Dough and PB + Maple Macaroons sold out by 10:45am!

IMG_4143

I tell everyone about freezing the Glo Dough and then mixing them into banana soft serve…hopefully I have gotten a few people hooked on it.

An elderly man said the funniest thing to me today.

Him and his wife were buying some Glo Bars, and right after his wife said goodbye and walked away the man leaned in close and whispered in my ear:

I have been married to my wife for 49 years and I love her to the high heavens, but just between you and I, her baking makes for good paperweights. I have learned the secret to a happy marriage is to make her think she is the best baker and cook in the world.

Then he gave me a coy grin, winked, and walked to catch up with her, putting his arm around her waist.

True love folks, true love.

I also met some new friends!

Sabrina and Jen (left) came from Buffalo and Natalie (right) and Robert came from a town about half hour outside of Oakville.

IMG_4150 IMG_4147

They are all SO nice..we chatted for a good half hour or longer! Natalie on the right has her black belt! I need her to show me some moves, heh.

It rained again today, but luckily not until the last hour of the market.

Of course, I did not leave the market empty handed!

IMG_4227

I present to you, the most DELICIOUS organic blueberries that Eric and I have ever tasted in our lives. I’m not even joking, I have never tasted blueberries so delicious.

IMG_4223

I walked back to our tent with a bag of goodies and I tried to hide them from Eric (our fridge is already much too full!). I felt like a wife with a shopping addiction hiding price tags from her husband, only my shopping addiction is for weird veggies!

IMG_4225

As soon as I got home, I froze about 1/2 of the blueberries so I can enjoy them all week long. (Let’s be real, they won’t last any longer than that!)

IMG_4221

Eric doesn’t even like Blueberries and he loved these.

Then I purchased some ducks!

IMG_4192

And lined them all up in a row.

IMG_4203

Have you ever seen Yellow Squash any cuter?!

IMG_4199

Like the carrot showgirls, I think I will have a very hard time chopping these up! (No, I have not chopped the carrot showgirls yet…tonight might be the night)

IMG_4194

Then I got something I have been seeing Kath eat for a while now and I have been dying to try them…

IMG_4220

So fuzzy and cute…any guesses?

IMG_4218

That would be Okra!

IMG_4217

I popped one in my mouth and they taste amazing!

IMG_4216

Very mild tasting. I can see why Kath likes making them into fries so much.

IMG_4214

When we got home around 3pm, I was so hungry it is a sheer miracle that I was able to take these shots before chowing down.

I snacked on 3 of my Gluten-free and vegan chewy crackers (made a triple batch this week!) as soon as I got in the door. They kept me sane until I prepped and shot lunch.

IMG_4172

These crackers are so delicious. I have been trying to cut down on buying Mary’s Crackers and I actually prefer these ones. I made enough to last me 2-3 weeks. I also dehydrated this batch for 3 hours at 150F instead of cooking in the oven, but you can use either method.

For lunch I had a super yummy basil, tomato, hummus, and black pepper open-faced toasted Ezekiel sandwich!

IMG_4155

Sadly, this did not last long.

IMG_4156

Copious amounts of hummus and tomato paste on the bottom!

IMG_4159

Wish I still had this right now. And this.

IMG_4166

Then I broke out Her Mix-A-Lot and made another Kale Green Monster

IMG_4176

Bottom layer: 1 cup almond milk; second layer: Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder; 3rd layer: kale; top layer: frozen banana chunks.

IMG_4178

Smooth as SILK. I seriously cannot handle how smooth the Vitamix gets kale!!!

IMG_4184

IMG_4185

It was soooo energizing and delicious. Happiness ensued.

IMG_4187IMG_4191

Then a huge pot of Japanese sencha green tea to comfort me on this rainy day!

IMG_4167

Well, my stomach is grumbling yet again…I think I am going to grab a snack and then prep dinner. I am thinking a huge veggie roast is in order.

Have a great night!

Page 2 of 2«12
Natalia July 25, 2010 at 6:42 am

HI Angela, I tried a Green Monster a few weeks ago, and am totally addicted! Even when I have slight mishaps (like adding in Chia seeds and ending up with a thick, gelatinous mix), it is still very good. So thanks for your recipes!

Kittie July 25, 2010 at 8:01 am

I love basil on sandwiches! And okra…mmm. A staple in the south!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I can’t believe it’s raining. She must be on a veggie overload with all the veggies you have to use up. Do you ever freeze them or any other method for the winter?

Sally July 25, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi your pictures look great. Matt prints help and also for areas where you get a lot of sun light and so on you can go to a craft store or framing store and buy matt glass for your frames. It does not come cheap so only use it in areas where you will have a lot of light reflecting off the pictures. Also when choosing places to hang pictures take into account what light will reflect off them. Hope this helps.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I love that you get dressed up for the market… you’re just plain A-dorable, Ange : )

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun July 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

So many fruits and veggies in this post!
I have to remember what you wrote about the glo dough and banana soft serve – Mmmmm healthy chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream! :-D

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 25, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I just made amazing blueberry jam from organic pick your own blueberries and had to try so hard not to eat them all before the canning could happen. I feel your addiction :=)

Jen S July 25, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Wow, Buffalo! I wish I could’ve hitched a ride with them. Do you know how long of a trip it is???
I’d love to make the trip some Sat. How long is the market? 8 weeks? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

I think they said it was 2.5 hours long. We wll be here til this Sat then taking off August and some of sept.

Sasha July 26, 2010 at 9:51 am

Hurray for the cracker-balls!
I made my second batch yesterday (added raw lentil sprouts and spinach to up the nutrition profile) and was feeling wistful that there may not be another batch as it takes too much effort (and a mess!) to roll the dough flat for crackers!
And I see today that you made balls out of them instead! What a wonderful idea, so much easier than rolling flat!
Thanks for the tip, you made my day! You have no idea how much I love these!

Rachel July 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm

What type of dehydrator do you use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010 at 11:30 am

Its an excalibur :)

Kat July 26, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’m really happy to see you do a post on Okra!! My husband is a huge okra fan and I have never tried it before. I admit I was a bit scared of trying a new vegetable even tho I love all veggies. Now that you have told me what they taste like, I am much less frightened. Lol. ;)

Angela @ Making Food for Friends July 26, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I recreated your hummus/tomato paste/basil/black pepper sandwich for lunch today—DELICIOUS!!! I can’t stop thinking about it & am so looking forward to having another for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010 at 11:29 am

mmmm wasnt it amazing!?

Wan Yee July 31, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Hummus is a new recipe I have learned recently. The picture of your sandwich makes me want to make hummus again. Thank you for the yummy and nutritious suggestion. . People may have different opinions about the taste of chia seeds, but so far I have got mostly very positive feedback about them. May you keep glowing with the addition of ch-ch-chia into your life.