Deep Steep

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 10, 2010

Good morning!

Prepare yourself for a long post. You might still be reading this when I return from the market tonight. muhaha.

Getting up at 5:30am on Saturdays is getting a bit old… We went to bed much later than we should have last night. Oh dear. I blame Lie To Me! I love that this show is actually based on real research that I learned in my courses. So impressed!

It also took a lot of persuasion, but I was able to convince myself to do the Friday night workout after a long day. I told myself over and over, ‘If you do it now, you won’t have to worry about it after the market’

Before I had convinced myself, I put on my workout clothes + gear. This is key. I am going to make up a statistic that when you put on your workout clothes you will end up working out 90% of the time. Approximately.

IMG_1784

I felt (and looked) a bit silly sitting there with all my gear on so I just decided to get outside and move my legs.

The run:

• Distance: 5.16 miles
  • Time: 43:13 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:22

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 8:28
  • Mile 2: 8:10
  • Mile 3: 8:42
  • Mile 4: 8:11
  • Mile 5: 8:29
  • Mile 5-5.16: 1:10 (aka 7:15 pace)

Of course once I was warmed up I felt great. Today is a lovely rest day and I fully plan on kicking up my feet tonight! Yeeehaw.

This morning I had to pull out all the energy foods…due to major lack of sleep!

IMG_1887 IMG_1888

I wonder if this will wake me up? :tongue:

I bought some Green Tea + Lemon Kombucha because I quite enjoyed it when I had it recently. This morning I mixed a little bit into my iced green tea and it was fun and spunky to drink.

Also fun are garden pictures…

IMG_1896

It’s aliiiiiiive.

IMG_1891

IMG_1892

Quite possibly my favourite so far!

IMG_1894

IMG_1897

Ok, Eric and I need your help. It appears that we have another situation on our hands.

IMG_1901

We have no idea what this crazy 6 foot high plant is! Honestly, it wasn’t even there a month ago and now it’s 6 feet high. We are a bit scared. Ok, we are a lot scared.

When one should fear a plant:

1) When a plant is almost taller than your husband, fear it.

IMG_1902

2) When my husband is scared of a plant, fear it.

IMG_1904

At breakfast I was seeing doubles…

IMG_1948

Then quadruplets…

IMG_1955IMG_1952

IMG_1957IMG_1956

In this fabulous energizing Green Monster = 3 cups Purslane, 1.25 cups almond milk, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp peanut butter. Boom.

I just love, love, love Purslane in GM’s.

My hard work Thursday and Friday…

IMG_1871

IMG_1875

IMG_1877

That would be 260 Glo Bars! In total this week I made over 1,000 Glo bars and shipped out around 750 bars. Crazy week!

More Glo Dough…

IMG_1958

NEW this week:

1) Dark Roast Coffee Chocolate Macaroons

IMG_1966

Oh no she didn’t!

IMG_1968

I played off the super popular Empower Glo Bar and made a chocolate coffee macaroon. It is delicious!

2) Peanut Butter Chocolate Macaroons

[Sorry no picture as they were dehydrating last night when I took these!] I will get some pics today. They might be my favourite macaroon ever.

It has been a long time since I did a natural beauty product review for Project Natural Glow!

img-9626copy-thumb

My sister got me hooked on these amazing Deep Steep products when she bought me a bunch for my birthday back in May. They are 100% organic, vegan, paraben free, etc.

IMG_1982

And best of all…they WORK. Extremely well. They are also reasonably priced. According to Skin Deep they have a few concerning ingredients so their products have ratings between 1-4 depending on the product you use.

IMG_1987

I will buy this particular item again and again:

IMG_1979

It is the Deep Steep Grapefruit Moisture Stick and it is soooo fabulous. It also only scores a 1 on the Skin Deep website. I use it twice daily; in the morning and before bed all over my face, on my hands and décolletage – even my mouth as a lip chap! It is a miracle stick. You can throw it in your purse, gym bag, etc. You can buy the products online at Innocent Earth (they also have a store location in Alberta) and I’m pretty sure all over North America.

I still use coconut oil all over my skin in the shower. Not only is it a great moisturizer, but It works great as a ‘shave oil’ too! I love using coconut oil in the summer because it isn’t hard as a rock as it was all winter. Makes for easier slathering.

IMG_1992

After washing my skin, I slather on coconut oil all over my skin and just rinse. The oil is left on your skin (but not too much!) and your skin is left very soft after the shower. I don’t even need any other moisturizer at all!

Happy 6th Anniversary to my sister Kristi and brother-in-law Pete!

Well, we are off to the Farmer’s Market. I’ll see you tonight sometime! Have a wonderful start to your weekend.  :biggrin:

Page 2 of 2«12
Lauren M. July 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Your purslane GM’s got me thinking this morning while I was on my run. I came home and refueled with a GM made with Mache. Have you ever had it? It is also called Lamb’s Lettuce. It’s a natural fatigue fighter, high in B vitamins and it has 1/3 more iron than spinach! It was such a lovely GM, so refreshing and energizing. You can find more Mache facts here: http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/products/articles/anti-stress-anti-fatigue-and-full-of-vitamins/

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 8:59 am

No I havent but now of course I want to try it!

bitt July 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm

i really love the lily pictures. amazing!

i love how you use the measuring cup for green smoothies.

enjoy your market day.

Meg July 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That is so true! When I’m putting off working out, I’ll put on my workout clothes and it totally gets me in gear to go! You inspired me to try out green monster smoothies. I can’t believe I lived so long without them!

Jo July 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

A friend of mine also raves about coconut oil. I am going to start using it!

Crazy Charm July 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I just love your blog, and your flowers are so beautiful. Have a great day at the farmer’s market :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 8:59 am

thanks :) Glad you enjoy the blog!

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I’m gonna have to look into those products – I love natural beauty finds! Have fun at the market (:

Jessie July 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I have the same plant in my yard. It has beautiful flowers when it blooms. I believe it’s a yucca plant. I think you can eat the root but it’s very fiberous and chewy.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie July 10, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Some others got it right about that plant. It’s a yucca! The others are tiger lillies and hosta blooms! Gorgeous. Gotta love gardening.

Way to work it sister on the run! Now don’t you feel good about it? haha

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Chocolate coffee!?!?!?
Chocolate peanut butter?!?!?!

I want some!!!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Coconut oil is a great moisturizer but I never thought of just using it in the shower… I might try it! I love using natural products for body care. :)

*Andrea* July 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm

that’s a fast run!!!!

um peanut butter chocolate macaroons sound tantalizing!

Michelle July 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Love the garden pics! They’re so pretty :)
I have coconut oil but have yet to try it on my body, I really should give it a try. I love the idea of using more natural beauty products, but I’m having trouble finding ones that work. I recently bought some natural deodorant (Kiss my Face) and I am pretty dissapointed – I’m pretty stinky!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:00 am

haha I know natural deodorant does not work for me either.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Do you sell your glo dough online? I would love to get my hands on that.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:01 am

Im not sure yet b/c I havent tested it out with shipping! I dont think it has a long shelf life..

april nguyen July 10, 2010 at 10:05 pm

looks like a yucca! and i’ve got to try that coconut oil, my skin is always so dry-except the t-zone, of course. sigh.

Taylor July 10, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Can’t wait to try the beauty line. Always looking for new natural anything! Do you love the way it smells??

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:01 am

I do enjoy the smell!

Lalla July 11, 2010 at 3:28 am

Hi, I was just going in my garden to pluck out the weeds that grow over my vegetable-garden and I read here about purslane, that it’s edible! hahaha we have plenty of that weed! I always put it in the compost, but now I will keep it and eat it too! Thanks for sharing this interesting new about weeds!!
greetings from Switzerland :)

Tracy July 11, 2010 at 7:13 am

I love Deep Steep products! They are based out of SC (where I live). You MUST try the Tangerine Melon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:01 am

mmm tangerine melon sounds fab!

Therese July 11, 2010 at 8:26 am

LOVE the coconut oil idea! I’ll definitely have to try it sometime!

I have no clue what that pretty monstrosity is in your backyard!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 11, 2010 at 10:23 am

I can’t believe how much baking you have to do before a Farmers Market, I hope they sell well.

faith @ gracefulfitness July 11, 2010 at 10:54 am

I agree with your statistic as well and want to add that putting on my workout cloths to convince myself to work out is also a great test. If I am dressed head to toe and still can’t get moving than I know it’s really time for a rest day!

S July 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Hey Angela! I was wondering if the coconut oil makes your shower really slippery? Do you use on your face, and if so, does it ever clog pores? Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:02 am

I think it does cause a bit of clogging, but not too much that I wouldnt keep using it. I use the moisture stick on my face now and love love love it.
I spray my shower and rinse after each use so I find that prevents it from getting messy.

Paula @ rock 'n' granola July 12, 2010 at 12:45 am

Hey Angela,

I’m looking for one that can keep track of splits like yours so that I’ll be motivated to actually push myself instead of lollygagging through my workouts like usual. What kind of sports watch do you have? Do you like it, and do you find that it’s not too big?

Thanks so much!
Paula

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:02 am

I have a Garmin 305 and I LOVE it…best purchase ever! Got it at Costco for cheaper.

Paula @ rock 'n' granola July 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Oh, awesome – good thing I just renewed my Costco membership! Thanks so much for the tip – I’m definitely going to buy one this weekend!

Marathon Bound Girl aka Grace July 12, 2010 at 7:48 am

OMG, I am in heaven when you speak of chocolate and coffee in the same sentence! When will you start selling Glo Dough on your website or will you ever…..ahhhh! The dough looks sooo good in the pics! That plant seems to be a Yucca plant…I see those all over TX. I think it’s a type of succulant. I saved that Innocent Earth to my favorites, I need something like this for my skin in the winter time, believe it or not, living in TX, our skin dries out a lot in the cold months.

Alyce July 12, 2010 at 9:58 am

Yeah, that’s definitely a Yucca. Down here in Texas, we have them all over the place. There are probably 10 just on my 4 block long street!
Also, using coconut oil in the shower is BRILLIANT. I’ve been using a coconut soap called Skin Trip, but it’s not having the effect I wanted. I’m totally taking the coconut oil to the shower. Thanks for the tip!!

Casey Thomas July 13, 2010 at 8:03 am

Hi Angela!

Great post! I also use coconut oil as my main skin moisturiser and it feels so decadent. I have a question for you….I don’t have this problem personally but a lot of my clients and friends find they get clogged pores and bumps and acne when they use coconut oiul as a moisturiser. Have you experienced this before?

Thanks!
Casey

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

I think it does clog the pores slightly for me, but nothing major that I wouldnt keep using it. I dont use it on my face- now I use the moisture stick from above and i loooove it

Amy July 15, 2010 at 10:35 am

Just fyi- the moisture stick has beeswax, so not vegan, but I’m eager to try some of their other things; the scents sound amazing.
Also, your blog has inspired me to finally try chia. I’ve been very wary of it, but those chia/oat/banana soft serve parfaits you’re making look so good! :)

Debbie September 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I discovered Deep Steep myself about a month ago, and I’m totally in love with their products. Tangerine-Melon is my favorite, and I’ve been replacing my old lavender-scented products with Deep Steep equivalents. FYI, however, the moisture stick contains beeswax and is not vegan. They note on their website which products are and are not.