Hot & Cold

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 9, 2010

Good morning!

Last night Eric and I started watching a new TV show called Lie to Me. Has anyone else seen this? We LOVED it! It really appeals to my love for forensic psychology and touches on the research that I learned in my law & psychology courses in university. Two thumbs up! We have two seasons to catch up on now…yippee!

It is finally raining and has slightly cooled off today. We are all rejoicing and the plants are soaking up the water like a sponge. I decided that today’s weather called for some hot oatmeal…

Today I decided to try banana soft serve on hot oats! I have heard of a few people trying this and liking it and I thought the combination of the cold soft serve and the hot oats would go really well together, so I gave it a shot.

IMG_1838

For the hot oat portion, I made my VOO recipe- 1/2 cup oats, 1.25 cup almond milk, 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal, and chia seeds (only used 1/2 tbsp today because I didn’t want my oats too thick).

Then I made peanut butter banana soft serve by processing 1 frozen banana with 1 tbsp peanut butter:

IMG_1840

Then I scooped the hot oats onto a bowl following by the PB soft serve, cacao nibs, and unsweetened coconut:

IMG_1845

The perfect breakfast for a rainy day?

IMG_1846

I thought these were just OK, but I mostly just enjoyed the parts with banana soft serve. I much prefer cold vegan overnight oats, but that is not too surprising because I have never been a big hot oatmeal fan. I find they are much more refreshing when cold.

IMG_1858

and hot Japanese sencha green tea!

IMG_1862

This is a loose leaf Bodum tea pot for those of you who were asking. It works great for making huge pots of loose leaf tea!

IMG_1868

Have a great Friday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 9, 2010 at 11:03 am

I love PB & chocolate together. What a great use for Amazing Grass!

Lisa July 9, 2010 at 11:17 am

I love “Lie to Me.” I’m a few episodes behind right now. Have you gotten caught up on the last season? It was really good!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 9, 2010 at 11:25 am

Banana soft serve and hot oats? I think you just solved my’what to have for breakfast as the blender is broken so no GMs’ question!! (except…I can’t do BSS….darn!)

faith @ gracefulfitness July 9, 2010 at 11:27 am

I am totally the opposite of you also, I LOVE hot oats and find them so satisfying. In fact, I have been wanting to try overnight oats but haven’t brought myself to give up a bowl of hot oats in exchange! The banana soft serve looks incredible though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Two girls torn between their love of oats! ;p

Gena July 9, 2010 at 11:27 am

Looks awesome! I AM a hot oats person (more so than cold), but either way, the combos you come up with are perfection.

Diana July 9, 2010 at 11:48 am

I’m the same way — after eating VOO for a while now, I just can’t get used to eating hot oatmeal! Plus, VOO is easier to wash off my bowls :D

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 9, 2010 at 11:51 am

I had hot oats this morning too. Hot oatmeal is so comforting on a rainy day!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 9, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Oh I LOVE Lie to Me! My brother got me hooked over Christmas!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I always love a warm breakfast to get me going in the morning so I’ve always been a bigger fan of the hot oats, but VOO is still great too.

Kristy July 9, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Lie to me taught me a few things, atleast I’m telling myself that they were facts and I’m super cool for being able to “read” people more often.

Andrea July 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Where do you buy your cocoa nibs?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010 at 2:45 pm

From a wholesaler for the bakery

[email protected] CacaoBee July 9, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I love Lie to Me AND banana soft serve. I just made cacao banana soft serve last night, but I forgot all about the peanut butter. Chocolate and peanut butter…yum! I wish it were raining here.

Marina July 9, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love hot/cold combo, but this has to be eaten really fast :D So instead of having the soft serve as the cold part, I throw in some thick yogurt on it. Perfect.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I love both hot and cold oats, so I will have to try the hot/cold combination. It sounds good to me!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I recently tried hot oatmeal with yogurt, an idea I got from IowaGirlEats, and I wasn’t a big fan, mainly becauese I was so scared that the heat from the oats, even after cooling, would curdle the yogurt. But Soft Serve with hot oats, worth a try! Thanks!

Camille July 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’ve never seen that show, but it has always looked interesting!
I am so jealous of your rainy day :)

Erin July 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I looooove Lie to Me! My bf and I have been watching ever since the premier last year. Tim Roth as Cal Lightman is genious.

erica July 9, 2010 at 2:01 pm

i LOVE lie to me! it’s such a good show :)
i think i’m the opposite of you….i love hot oats more than overnight oats….but i loooove banana soft serve :)

highonhealthy July 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I love banana soft serve over hot oats! What I do is make the oats in almond milk then layer it with chocolate banana soft serve. My topping is a nice big blob of cherry jam. I went through a period where that was all I would eat for breakfast.. it is so good.

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Sorry to hear your breakfast was disappointing but at least you’ve got some respite from the hot weather!

*Andrea* July 9, 2010 at 5:49 pm

i just finished reading The Kind Diet – by Alicia Silverstone and she reminds me SOOOO much of you! besides the obvious (blonde+gorgeous) she is so sweet and innovative with vegan foods!

sorry about the oats. at least the soft srve part was tasty

Marathon Bound Girl aka Grace July 9, 2010 at 9:47 pm

OMG, I think those hot/cold oats look so delish especially with the banana soft serve that I have yet to flippin’ try….Yum!

Hayley July 10, 2010 at 11:44 pm

LIE TO ME IS AWESOME!!! I love that show!! You should love it!