Believe

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 7, 2010

Good morning!

I was soooooooo excited for this cold & delicious breakfast this morning! I vowed that I would not have another VOO fail on my hands.

I made Peanut Butter Soft Serve which I am convinced is the best thing since sliced bread. If you haven’t added a spoonful of peanut butter to your Banana Soft Serve you must! It tastes like peanut butter ice cream, without all the processed junk.

IMG_1733

Today I made a bowl. Sometimes I just like plopping everything into a bowl and letting it melt and swirl all around. Mmmm.

IMG_1751

Be careful carrying it though…I was juggling this bowl, my SLR, and climbing onto the deck and the VOO almost went flying off the bowl! It is a slippery little devil…

IMG_1739-2

Peanut Butter Soft Serve & Cherry, Banana, Coconut Butter Bread Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

IMG_1740

This was one of my yummiest bowls yet! A cold & creamy delight.

IMG_1746

Believe

Recently, I received a really cool email from a reader that I wanted to share with you this morning (with her permission):

“Angela, You’ve made me realize that it’s okay to eat! It’s more important what you eat than how much. That has made so much sense to me. Although I’ve transitioned into a vegetarian over the last few years, I’ve dabbled into Vegan more seriously now. You make it seem fun! (Vegan…fun?! *Gasp*).
Please keep on writing.
I’ve just read your 9 part series on when you quit your job. Fantastic. It’s like I’m looking into a mirror.
Just a little story I want to tell you:
I live in South Africa. I recently started doing triathlons (cycling is the hardest for me).
We have 11 official languages here (crazy, I know). I only speak two: English and Afrikaans (Afrikaans is very, very close to Flemish/Dutch). Anyhow, when I was reading your story about your new career, you said you were playing with names – something like Glow but ended up using the word Glo.
In Afrikaans,
Glo means "Believe".
And that’s what you’ve made me do. "Believe" that I can be happy and follow my heart. And eat nutritious food without feeling deprived. Just thought that it was interesting.”

The word glow has always had a lot of personal significance for me, but now that I know that it means Believe in another language makes it even more meaningful!

Her email inspired me to write out a few things…

I Believe…

• I Believe if you have love in your life you are rich beyond your wildest dreams
  • I Believe that hard work and passion goes a long way
  • I Believe money won’t bring happiness
  • I Believe getting rid of the scale and not counting calories was the best thing I ever did for my health
  • I Believe sisters and mother/daughters share a bond that is only understood by each other
  • I Believe all living creatures on this earth are far more intelligent than we know
  • I Believe we have done irreparable damage to our earth
  • I Believe people say hurtful things out of fear
  • I Believe people weren’t meant to be stuck at a desk
  • I Believe that I think of the future when I should be living in the present
  • I Believe that everyone has a unique talent they can offer the world
  • I Believe my cat plots revenge
  • I Believe the truth always comes out
  • I Believe 99% of the things I worry about never happen
  • I Believe that people are attracted to confidence and not a certain size or shape
  • I Believe I am capable of much more than I think
  • I Believe that changing careers is much better than being miserable your entire life
  • I Believe loved ones are taken for granted
  • I Believe that half the things we ‘know’ to be true will be proved wrong in 10 years
  • I Believe that positivity breeds positivity
  • I Believe settling will always come back to haunt you
  • I Believe I need a hair cut
  • I Believe learning to love myself was my great victory of my twenties
  • I Believe that life is too short
  • I Believe in YOU

What do you believe?

And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
   – Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 3«123
Nienke at Revel July 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh that is funny – my first language is Afrikaans and for some reason I did not make the connection!! Crazy, i know!

This is such an amazing post, because our feelings, actions and dreams depend so heavily on what we believe. I love the saying: “whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right” We just gotta believe :)

Michelle July 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I believe that dogs and babies will always bring a smile!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Beautiful post..in both appereance and topic :) The other day while riding, my horse seemed a little tired and I told her “you’re so much stronger than you think” after your post from a few weeks ago!! You’re very inspiring :)

Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 7, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Angela – what a fabulous post. I love the beginning, middle and end. I am working on my beliefs – as I believe:
-we are all a work in progress
-motherhood is my greatest joy and greatest challenge
-marriage – see above.
-I am not fully baked yet
-health is within – as is beauty
-life is worth living – eat the cupcake – you won’t die
-metaphysics work
…oh and the list goes on

Natasha July 7, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I believe that I must accept myself for exactly who I am at this exact moment in time.
Not after I have lost 5 pounds…
Not after one more long run…
Not after I have starved myself for one more day…just as I am!
Thank you for helping me realise this.
Beautiful post, Angela!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 7, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Love this post and am still trying to learn to believe in myself! After struggling with restricting and then binging I can honestly say that food blogs and people like you have made me realise that it’s ok to eat – I have had to have great belief in myself to start eating in a normal, balanced way. I believe that anything is possible!

Lori July 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm

What an inspiring, honest, uplifting, inspirational, fantastic post you have written. The reader that emailed you was so inspiring and amazing to read. I’m excited for her to see a new way of eating- without the negative thoughts that so many are associated with when it comes to food!

I believe I can do anything.
I believe I can do anything.
I believe I can do anything.

cheeky July 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm

ok, finally posting this in the
right spot…

i love this blog and your attitude SO MUCH!
my cat is ALWAYS plotting.
my husb and i feel like it’s her
whirled, we are just lucky to live in it ; )
i have stopped with the scalre years ago but
i have been counting calories or something
on and off
for like…17 YEARS? ughghghg…
so gross to think about.
my life is happy, my body is healthy and strong.
and i am active.
i just worry that if i stop counting counting –
i will eat too much.
how did you get over that?
just want to LET GO!

i BELIEVE that i CAN and AM.

thanks for all you do.

you a rockstar.

xo

Robin July 7, 2010 at 3:47 pm

You are so cool! Thanks for having the best blog out there!!! :)

Lauren @ Health on the Run July 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm

This is such a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing the letter. I love that Glo has an even deeper meaning than you had even anticipated. But I think it connects to your blog wonderfully.

I believe that we as a people have a choice everyday — not only to be our best selves, but to work to make the world a better place. I believe we can all make a difference, no matter how small. And I believe that life is too short to worry over the little things (although I still do it!!) and live in regret.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I love that last quote. A refreshing Wedn post – thx!

Jessica Sinclair July 7, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Great post! Looks like a wonderful breakfast.
I believe that you should always live everyday like it’s your last….never carry anger or let it motivate your actions, always tell those you love that you do, be grateful for everything that you have (not what you desire) and always be at peace with yourself (which means never doing or saying things you may regret later, and taking the best care of yourself, family, and the planet that you can!)
Pretty simple, but it took me almost dying in a car accident (and losing my daughther in it) for me to accept it and live it!

Theresa July 7, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Lovely post, A. You have such a way with words :-)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Angela – this is such a wonderful post!
I believe that I am where I need to be right now.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) July 7, 2010 at 5:18 pm

This is such a beautiful post! Yummy breakfast, wonderful words. Thanks for sharing!

Bianka (bananas for bananas) July 7, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I believe that you are truly an inspiration. Everyday I look forward to reading your blog and seeing what wonderful food your eating and being uplifted by your *glowing* and beautiful outlook on life. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 7, 2010 at 7:54 pm

What an inspiring post! I believe in finding the beauty in life and cherishing it!

Amanda July 7, 2010 at 9:37 pm

As always, great post! “I believe I need a haircut”…you crack me up!

Ashley July 7, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Thank you for this uplifting post! Much needed on a stressful, discouraging day.
I believe that laughter is contagious.
I believe that love can conquer all wrong doing in the world.

Alisa July 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Wow, that is so cool and amazing that Glo has that meaning and you weren’t even aware when you picked the name!

Love this post, very inspiring. And peanut butter soft serve is my favorite morning breakfast … but add some cinnamon, it takes it to the next level :)

Triathlonbabe aka Grace July 8, 2010 at 7:22 am

I love this blog! I absolutely love “I believe” section! I had to send that to my sister and she loved it as well!

One of my favorite sayings is by Life is Good, “Do what you like, like what you do.” It’s on a tag on most of their clothing items.

Anastasia July 8, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Angela that was a gorgeous blog. The email brought a tear to my eye too…
I loved your list… thanks for some inspiration xx

juliette October 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

I believe.. Today is d day I get rid of my eating disorders.. Once n for all