Pink Parade

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 6, 2010

Good morning!

I am just taking a quick break from my 20+ shipments that need to go out by noon today…better type FAST!

Last night, I set my alarm extra early because I knew I wanted to squeeze in another early morning workout before the heat got really intense. Yesterday’s run was supposed to be a long 8-miler, but since I ran 3 miles, I wanted to crank out 5 miles early this morning. I was on the road by 6:30am and it was already 22C/72F out there and the temperature was climbing! It climbed a degree from the time it took me to put on my sneakers, so I knew I had to get out there fast. I shoved a couple dates in my mouth and was on my way.

The run:

• Distance: 5 miles
  • Time: 42:27
  • Avg pace: 8:19 min/mile

My goal for this run was to run each mile quicker than the last. Not an easy goal by any means…

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:00
  • Mile 2: 8:18
  • Mile 3: 8:18
  • Mile 4: 8:08
  • Mile 5: 8:02
  • Mile 5-5.10: 0:38 secs (6:20 min/mile pace)

Except for repeating my pace in mile 2 and 3, I accomplished my goal!

I felt so amazing after this run…it was very tough and there were lots of hills. By the time I got home the temperature was already 26C and hot, hot, hot. So happy I got out there early.

I also discovered that I am hooked on early morning workouts again!

For years, I always worked out within 15-30 minutes of getting up, however with how busy the bakery has been, my mornings are super time-crunched and rushed. I think I am going to try to rearrange my schedule a few days a week so I can squeeze in these early morning workouts because they make all the difference in my energy levels. I just feel so good knowing I got in a great workout before even beginning my day. I think even working out 2-3 mornings a week would make a huge difference in how I feel.

All I wanted after my COLD shower was a juice!

IMG_1573-2

Composed of 3 carrots, 1 beet, 1/2 lemon. It was all I had left so it had to do.

IMG_1566

IMG_1572-2

It hit the spot and gave me energy needed to make my breakfast…

IMG_1578

Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait was on the menu today.

I was out of bananas except for 1/3 of a tiny frozen banana, so I pitted a bunch of cherries last night and froze them. I made Cherry Soft Serve using 3/4 cup frozen, pitted cherries and 1/3 frozen banana in a food processor.

IMG_1585

It certainly lacked the creaminess that the banana gives it.

For the vegan overnight oats, I tried something new last night and used cocoa powder in the mix. I used 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder, and 1 tbsp chia seeds.

Unfortunately it turned out super bitter!

I had to add maple syrup to sweeten it up. For some reason the oats + chia seeds didn’t absorb the milk either so it was super runny. All and all it was a VOO fail.

Once I added some maple syrup it tasted better but it was still runny.

IMG_1590

I mixed a bit of soft serve with the VOO with each bite and it tasted much better.

IMG_1597

So much PINK this morning!

IMG_1602

See you tonight for a really fun recipe I am excited to tell you about. Have a lovely Tuesday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Your VOO is sooo pretty, even if it wasn’t a total success. Congrats on your run; you’re pace is awesome!

Angela (ohsheglows) July 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Thanks! :)

Triathlonbabe aka Grace July 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Loving the pink! Gotta have soft serve, gotta have soft serve before I go nuts!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm

What beautiful pink meals! Your juices always look so wonderful.. I got some beets from an organic produce co-op a while back that I never used. I didn’t know what to do with them! I wish I’d seen your juices back then. :P

I would’ve never guessed it was a VOO fail if you hadn’t told us, lol. Your breakfast still looks beautiful. :)

Lana July 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Sorry about the bitterness…try less cocoa. Sometimes I think it might just be an aquired taste, but I never use more than 1 Tbsp and I use cow milk (more sweet perhaps?).

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Congrats on an awesome run!!! Great work!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 6, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Working out in the morning is by far my favorite. I feel so good and ready to start the day.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I absolutely LOVE that glass!

Katherine July 6, 2010 at 6:24 pm

You certainly have been active! goodness, so much going on. I have been craving beets lately for some reason- is that a weird thing to want?

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm

haha no I crave beets too…..I used to hate them too! I still only have them in juice though…

Clarice July 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Your pretty pink juice has inspired me to get my juicer out in the morning.

Lauren @ Health on the Run July 7, 2010 at 7:10 am

Well, even though your VOO was technically a fail, it sure LOOKS really pretty!!

Congrats on your great morning run. I keep wanting to try switching my workouts over to the morning, not only because it’s cooler, but also because I just feel a lot better all day long. But making the switch is hard. I just feel sluggish and slow when I try to run first thing.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 7, 2010 at 9:54 am

Too bad it didn’t taste good, it sure is pretty in pink!

Jenn

Renae H July 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for all of your inspiring posts! I have very recently started to run and am wondering what you use to calculate your splits. Some sort of watch with GPS?