Scary Trails

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 2, 2010

Happy Friday!

Now that I am working at the Farmer’s Market, Fridays always leave me with a bit of panic because I know that the next two days will be tight to fit everything in. I was a busy little bee on Canada Day preparing for the market. The weather report is finally calling for some hot and sunny weather on Saturday, so I hope it will be a good showing despite being a long weekend.

IMG_1159 IMG_1161

New flavours for sampling at the market this week will be Classic (chunky peanut butter) and Present (cranberry pumpkin spice)!

For Canada Day dinner, Eric helped me make a use-up-the-CSA-veggies stir-fry.

IMG_1133

Cute as a button.

IMG_1134

Eric is a good chopper! He has culinary talents just waiting to be cultivated.

IMG_1136

All kinds of veggies went into the skillet….zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, green onion, garlic scapes, diced tomatoes, and seasonings.

IMG_1157

IMG_1144

Sweet ‘n Spicy Zucchini, Asparagus, and Potato Stir-fry

Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp cold-pressed sunflower oil
  • 10-15 asparagus spears, broken at the ends
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1.5-2 cups canned diced tomatoes
  • 3 large green onions
  • 1 garlic scape
  • 2 red potatoes
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • Tiny bit of Arvinda’s curry masala (just to add a pop of heat)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze, for garnish

Directions: Chop all veggies and throw into a skillet with 1 tbsp of oil heated on medium. In a small bowl mix the seasonings with the canned tomatoes and stir well. Pour over the veggies and mix. Cook for about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Serve with 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze.

IMG_1145

I had it with some seedy + savoury Glo Doughs. The meal was fantastic! So much flavour and so energizing.

IMG_1152

Speaking of CSA’s…

IMG_1093

No mystery ingredients this week! Tomato, red potatoes, 2 spinach, 2 zucchini, mushrooms, 2 asparagus, cabbage, and a huuuuuge green onion.

IMG_1089

No garlic snakes! It looks like we might be past season now…  :ermm:

By the way, last week when I posted this green below a few of you said that you didn’t think this was fennel. Now I am not sure what it is! I could have sworn the farmer said fennel, but it doesn’t look like fennel pictures online unless it is some other variation…

I also was behaving like some sort of crazed fan so it’s possible I heard the farmer wrong in all the excitement!!

IMG_0723

IMG_0725

Any guesses?

After dinner we headed out on our bikes for a 4 mile bike ride

IMG_1722

Summer is served.

IMG_1724

Going on bike rides in the summer always reminds me of being a kid!

IMG_1723

This time Eric went ahead of me on the trail and I fell way behind. Remember the other night when I said I was super fast on the rocky trail? Well, apparently I wasn’t.  :lol:

It is a JUNGLE in there now. I won’t even tell you how many cobwebs I biked through!

IMG_1727

Eric was so far ahead of me on the trail that he went down a side trail (unbeknownst to me) and he jumped out and scared me when I biked past him. Needless to say my speed picked up after that!

Page 2 of 2«12
Diana July 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

The veggie stir-fry looks so delicious! And I’m so jealous that your bike rides feature such breathtaking scenery. It all looks so refreshing. Good luck tomorrow! :)

Liz July 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Yum! All that produce looks amazing!!! I think I’m going to have to try that stir fry recipe!

[email protected]'s Going The Distance July 2, 2010 at 2:03 pm

The weather near you looks like it’s changing for the better! It looks beautiful there, so I hope it stays up for your market :)

Marianne in Auburn July 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm

It is definitely a type of clover….the three leaves and the flower give it away. Perhaps in the genus Trifolium (at least that is what we have growing down south!!). It is in the legume/pea family Fabaceae.

Marina July 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I love riding during summer! I wish we had some roads for riding in the woods.
your lunch, as always, looks great. I should make those little yummy seedy stuff, they look awesome!

GirlonRaw July 2, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Wow I totally want to live where you live. All that green makes me over living in the desert for sure! You are very lucky!

JenP July 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Maybe yu choy – a kind of bok choy. I picked some up at the farmers market a couple weeks ago. I used a recipe from steamy kitcen. Very good!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I’m impressed that you manage to use up all of the veggies you get. I’d be intimidated and wouldn’t know where to start!

Sana July 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Looks like fenugeek to me.

Gypsy July 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

that bike ride looks heavenly! I need to get out of the city and into nature.
sigh….
I guess some desk stretches will have to do for now :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 2, 2010 at 3:41 pm

What a nice evening. A great dinner, picked up your CSA, and got a workout/bike ride in.

Monica July 2, 2010 at 4:40 pm

That stir fry looks amazing and so colorful, yum yum!
The pictures only work for me when I go to the comments of each post, strange.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Hi Monica, What pictures are you referring to maybe i can fix it if there is an issue

Raven July 2, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Your mystery green is fenugreek. If you’ve ever had the Indian dish Saag (or Palaak) Aloo you’ve eaten it (usually mixed with spinach). The greens are called Methi in Hindi and the seeds have Canada Day appropriate maple flavor. Have fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm

thanks for the info!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm

LOL that is something I would do to my hubby. Though he doesn’t like it if I or he gets too far ahead or behind the other. He likes us to stick together that way we are riding or running together. Awe isn’t he sweet.

Lisa @ Early Morning Run July 4, 2010 at 4:29 pm

looks like a fantastic meal and ride! hope it all went well yesterday!