How To Simplify Your Life

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 12, 2010

Do you ever get those moments where you are struck by a lightening bolt of inspiration to purge all unnecessary belongings?

IMG_9176

Last night was one of those nights for me.

After realizing that Spring would be coming to an abrupt end in 8 days, I decided it was now or never for my annual Spring Clean Purge.

Each Spring, I gather up all unnecessary items and I donate them to charity. Last night I collected 5 bags of things. Many of these items were items that I was having a hard time letting go of last year, and lo and behold I never wore them once! Moral of the story: Always trust your gut.

Sometimes, it takes me a while to part with an item. My motto now is if I haven’t worn it in a full calendar year (all types of weather!) it gets donated. BOOM. If you live in Alberta, you can change that to ‘if I haven’t worn it in a full week’. :ninja:

Eric was so inspired by my donation bags, he decided to do his own SCP…

IMG_9263

Yes, those are Daffy Duck and Superman ties. [You know who you are.]

It was amusing watching Eric take each item of clothing from his closet and comment on it. One of my favourite comments was: ‘It is so small on me it barely covers my nipples!

Where does he come up with this stuff? I seriously lost it laughing on a heap of clothes when he said that. I said, ‘Oh come on, it almost covers your belly button at least!’ Needless to say he donated it. I’m sure some 8 year old will be very happy.

Then it was time for more Farmer’s Market prep!

IMG_9129

Good times.

IMG_9128

My mother-in-law used to be a huge crafter and she would sell all of her goods from her home. The basement would literally be flooded with her crafts and she would be up until the wee hours of the night preparing.

Eric had the prestigious role of being the crafter’s assistant when he was a child. One of the more memorable (and oddly enjoyable tasks) he recalled was picking the dried glue off the table for his mom. :lol:

His resume also boasts potpourri and wreath maker. Not to brag, but my crafting resume boasts trinket box maker, plaster crafter/painter, friendship bracelet maker (variations: Gimp, bead, string), and clay modeler.

Is it any wonder we fell i love? I think not.

Our window seat in the office is the same length as the market table I am buying, so I thought it would be a good place to do a dress rehearsal on!

IMG_9143

IMG_9158

The troops all lined up!

IMG_9159

I also added some ribbon and an Ikea flower that I hacked gently cut apart.

IMG_9149

It’s no Martha, but I’ll take it.

I am going to put two rows of flavours in each basket like so…(obviously it will be full for market open!)

IMG_9134

Then I made a trial for the tags. Each flavour will have a tag in front of it with the name and description of the Glo Bar. I think I am going to make the print larger for the final tags just so people can read it easily.

IMG_9254

I also made myself and TEAM GLO name tags…

IMG_9261

After crafting in the office, I decided to craft in the kitchen. Farmer’s Markets are lots of work to prepare for!

IMG_9160

I made GLO BALLS!

IMG_9164

Yup, yup I was BALLIN’.

Remember when I made my raw chocolate chip cookie balls in May 2009? Well, I used the recipe for inspiration, threw in some new and amazing ingredients, and came out with a few kick-butt flavours!

They are OFF THE HOOK!

IMG_9165

I plan on selling GLO BALLS at the Harbourside Oakville Organic Market in addition to the bars (market starts June 19th!).

I will be giving hints to the flavours all week…so stay tuned.

IMG_9167

The market orientation went great today! I met some lovely people and I felt much better after seeing the market site and finding out about how it will all operate. The market is held in GORGEOUS downtown Oakville and it honestly could not be a better spot for a Farmers Market! I am so excited. :biggrin:

However, there is one PROBLEM…

whole-foods-oakville-new-whole-foods-coming-to-mississauga-oakville-mississauga-real-estate-homes-condos

[source]

I pass by the Oakville Whole Foods along my journey!!!!

Normally, this isn’t an issue for me seeing as I live 1 hour away from here, but now I am going into the belly of the monster every Saturday for the market.

When in Rome… :lol:

IMG_9271

I finally got my paws on some red and green organic kale!

IMG_9274

I was all excited to buy frozen cherries to make a Cherry Bomb, but they didn’t have any. I can’t find frozen cherries anywhere!

IMG_9267

IMG_9268

Mmmm so happy coconut butter is back in my life. Also starring a new appearance by one of my old pasttimes- Canadian Maple Butter. Best thing in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!

IMG_9269

[Insert loooooong day of cleaning the house top to bottom with Eric].

I’m off to balance out the day’s chores with some relaxation, dinner, friends, and a few brews! Hope you have a great night! See you in the AM.

Page 2 of 2«12
[email protected] June 13, 2010 at 3:29 am

Couldn’t you just freeze some fresh cherries yourself for smoothies? Fresh ones are probably a lot easier to come by… :-)
Good luck with everything Farmer’s Market!

AngelaOSG June 13, 2010 at 7:31 am

yes I did this last night! Yawhoo

Sarah (GF vegan) June 13, 2010 at 3:38 am

Can’t wait for the glow balls recipe! As soon as I’m off uni for the summer I’m having a clear out. I’ve got so many clothes that I don’t wear. I’m not very good at branching away from my regular items of clothiing that I seem to wear over and over again! Hope you had a great evening x

maxinthegym June 13, 2010 at 4:55 am

Haha I definitely need to do some spring cleaning! My room is an absolute mess!
And I was totally rolling on the floor laughing at Eric’s comment! He’s hilarious :D

jassy June 13, 2010 at 6:18 am

what a productive day! congrats!:)

mine was not so productive though…

i spent the day watching korean series on the net:)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 13, 2010 at 7:32 am

Your farmers market set up looks gorgeous – as do all of your treats!! I try to do that with all of my clothes once a year, too.

Kim June 13, 2010 at 7:38 am

I am feeling brave and coming out of the safety of lurking.

Just a few months ago I went through a major de-cluttering/minimizing spree. We got rid of huge bag after huge bag of stuff. It felt so liberating. Cleaning is so much easier now. We also instituted a 1 in 1 out rule. Now if I want something, something else has to go.

Angela–Thank you for your kind response to my email.

Kim

AngelaOSG June 13, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I like the idea of giving something away when buying something new- GREAT concept. I will apply this to my own life.

Erin June 13, 2010 at 7:44 am

I made a few trips to the Salvation Army before I moved and it’s SO freeing to declutter and downsize. If there’s something you haven’t worn in a couple of years, chances are that you won’t ever wear it, so don’t let it take up space in your closet.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

I was just at the Oakville WF yesterday too. I’m like a kid in a candy shop in that store!! I wanted to get that coconut butter so badly but I cannot justify the $15 price tag. :(

AngelaOSG June 13, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I know it is crazy expensive…I usually buy mine from my wholesaler but yesterday I just needed it now, lol. I find the jars do last a really long time though- probably 2-3 months!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 13, 2010 at 9:39 am

I love spring cleaning- so refreshing!

Living SO close to a Whole Foods is dangerous for me!! I mean, I am used to it being a 30-40 minute drive away, and now it’s like 25 minutes on the subway… I can READ the entire way, and I’m there! My fiance’s wallet kind of hates me now ;)

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 13, 2010 at 11:09 am

I guess frozen cherries are an American thing? First Target, and now frozen cherries!!!

I drove through Oakville yesterday and saw the Whole Foods sign. It almost lured me from the QEW. Almost!

Christa June 13, 2010 at 11:18 am

ouch on the Alberta comment! unfortunately it’s so very true :)

I could only wish to have Whole Foods here in Calgary, it’s a celiacs dream… although I do tend to drive my hubby crazy when I get the chance to shop there on vacations to the US. We have some great health food stores here.

kendall June 13, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Hey..i read your blog all the time but never comment. But when you said you couldn’t find frozen cherries at Whole Foods this struck me to finally comment. I work at Whole Foods in Virginia, and there is a 365 Brand of Frozen Cherries, 2.99 a bag. I actually bought some today after work. So i know they CAN carry them, just tell the Grocery Team leader or somebody at Customer Service or leave a comment card! They will definitely get them in for you!

Just Audrey June 13, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Ohhh, Canadian Maple Butter?! What is that? It sounds really good!

AngelaOSG June 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm

“Maple butter, also known as maple cream or maple spread, is a confection that is made from maple syrup, by cooking the syrup to 112 °C (233.6 °F), cooling it to 4.4 °C (40 °F) then raising it to 15.5°C (60 °F), and stirring it until it reaches a smooth consistency”

Hope this helps!

Its SOOOO GOOD! OMG.

Sana June 13, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I have never had a cherry bomb- I think I need to make a fashionably late entrance to this partyy!!

Ashley June 14, 2010 at 7:55 am

My mom + I read this post together and loved it. My mom was in town for one of my farmers market days selling bars, which was really fun. Your preparations were reminding her of mine! Love those ties!

Lisa June 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

I definitely feel like I need to simplify things. For example: we went camping this weekend and SOOOO Much crap we brought with us! And it was only for one night! There’s got to be a better/simpler way to do it.

Ange June 14, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Hey Ange,
There’s a cute little place in Vineland called Cherry Lane and they sell frozen cherries by the bucket! I go once a month because I hit the bottom of the bucket that quickly. A huge bucket costs around $15.
It would be worth the drive on a nice weekend!
Here’s the link:

xo
Ange

jennifer June 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows how far the Harbourside farmers market is from Niagra Falls? My husband and I will be visiting this weekend from the states and I would love to buy some Glo Bakery items!!

Susan June 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I MUST find a way to Oakville to visit you at the market this summer! That is so exciting!! I also can’t find frozen cherries anywhere. Which is a shame because the fresh ones have pits :(