1,000 Words: The Attack of the CSA Bag!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 11, 2010

IMG_8989

Any idea what this is?!

IMG_8989

It looks a bit similar to the green onion (on the right below)…and smells like an onion…

If it walks like an onion and talks like an onion, it probably is…?

IMG_8997

IMG_9005

IMG_8987

IMG_8994

IMG_9001

IMG_9002

IMG_8992

Eric and I are trying to decide what to make for a special ‘CSA’ themed dinner this weekend…any ideas? :biggrin:

Page 2 of 2«12
[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 11, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I just got my organic local produce delivery yesterday. I had that same spinach and it’ amazing.

Karen @ Not Just Celery June 11, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Could those be ramps? They are like onions and in season now…

Keri June 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I’m not sure if someone said this already but to me they look like scallions…

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!

It shall be known that I MADE vegan GARLIC SCAPE PESTO and it was the most magical thing in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Brynne June 11, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Bok choy = something Asian inspired?? :0)

Wei-Wei June 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Wow, I am LATE to this partay! I don’t even know what they are :P But, okay, garlic scapes! They sound really cool. And pesto made from garlic scape sounds even awesomer!

If you made a list of all the produce you had, I bet all us readers would be able to come up with LOTS of recipes! ;)

Wei-Wei

Caroline June 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Garlic scapes= make garlic scape pesto. Best thing ever!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 11, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Wow, look at all of that wonderful produce!! My first guess would be green onions, too, but I could be wrong! :)

Jenn

Laura June 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm

My favorite garlic scape recipe is so easy, though not raw. Finely dice a bunch of garlic scapes and a bunch of radishes. Saute them in olive oil and sea salt till tender. Hash! And so delicious. Until this recipe I never realized how good radishes are when cooked. They get kind of potatoey but not too starchy.

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I’m looking at our local CSA as we speak. It’s called UrbanAcres, does this sound like a CSA to you?

HOW IT WORKS
Our Co-op is “membership” based. You pay a yearly $50 membership fee for access to all of the produce and healthy products the Urban Acres offers including:

* Organic & Local Produce
* Local Pastured Meats – Chicken, Pork, Grass-Fed Beef & Bison
* Low Pasteurized, Non Homogenized Milk
* Wild-Caught Fish – Salmon & Halibut (straight from Alaska – when in season)
* Organic Pastured Eggs
* Farm-fresh Dairy and aged raw cheeses
* Other items including coconut oil, raw nuts, Kombucha and many more grocery items!

Our optional Produce Share is “co-op style,” meaning that it’s an ongoing commitment once you join and you are responsible for paying for and picking up your share every two weeks. You can choose to receive either a “half” or “full” share. (15lbs for $30 or 30lbs for $50 of produce). *There is a one time bin or tub fee of $12, so we can purchase 2 tubs that your produce will be delivered in. So, if you were signing up for the first time for produce, it’d be $92 for a half share or $112 for a full share then either $30 (half share) or $50 (full share) every two weeks after that.

Nancy Ging June 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

There are some recipes on my blog that you might want to try. There are recipes for using garlic scapes, bok choy, and other spring CSA goodies.

Also, here’s an article I wrote with more info about garlic scapes:

Where do you live that you already are getting apples and tomatoes? We won’t be seeing any of those for another month and a half at least. Lucky you!

Liz June 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

They are Garlic Scapes! They are delicious sauteed (in butter) and added to just about anything. Or made into pesto.