Sometimes It Seems So Wrong, But It Is Oh So Right

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 8, 2010

Good afternoon!

By now, you probably know a few things about me…

• I love quick recipes.
  • I love healthy recipes.
  • I love delicious tasting recipes.
  • I don’t care for long ingredient lists- simple is good!

This chickpea recipe is no exception to my requirements…

Chick P’s & P.B

IMG_8890 (2)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained *(see note below)
  • 1 heaping tbsp peanut butter (other nut butters might work too!)
  • 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Rinse and drain chickpeas. For a single serving, take 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas and set aside in a small, but deep, bowl. In another small bowl, mix the nut butter and pure maple syrup together. Scoop the PB + maple syrup mixture onto the chickpeas and mix well with a spoon. Serve over top of a soft piece of bread, in a wrap, on a salad, or eat it alone! I tried this on toast, soft bread, and alone and I liked it best alone, then on soft bread, and didn’t care for it on toast too much. It may also be good on the right kind of salad too!

Note: I used canned chickpeas, however if you cook your own, you might want to add a pinch of sea salt as the canned chickpeas have a lovely salty flavour to them.

Nutritional Information: (Serves 1): 260 calories, 9 grams fat, 6 grams fibre, 9 grams protein.

Those are some amazing nutritional stats, eh? It makes for a quick and healthy morning or afternoon power snack!

IMG_8880 (2)

I came up with this simple recipe when I was making my first batch of dessert hummus– that recipe will be coming shortly too!

IMG_8891 (2)

I know it probably seems very strange to mix peanut butter and maple syrup and throw it onto chickpeas (trust me, I thought so too!), but it honestly tastes AMAZING!

I must ask, what is nut butter not good with?

I have realized that chickpeas are very versatile and will basically adapt to any flavour that you mix it with!

IMG_8892 (2)

I loved mixing this together and just eating the chickpeas + PB mix on its own. It tasted incredible! Try it out and let me know what you think. :biggrin:

Do you love any strange combinations of foods that you think just taste amazing but others may cringe at the thought?

Check Out These OSG T-Shirts For Breast Cancer Charity!

KAT5-DTG-L516V Hello OSG readers! My name is Kath and I will be walking 60 miles in 3 days for the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Walk in San Diego November 19-21, 2010.

I need to raise $2,300 to help fight breast cancer! Angela has stepped up to support my fundraising efforts by working with me to create a t-shirt design for Oh She Glows. Please visit – www.icostore.net/katherine3day to purchase Angela’s design (under the category “She Glows”) or one of the many other designs available along with maybe different apparel styles or accessories. Thank you for your support for this great cause!

Tomorrow AM, I will be addressing your questions about whether I have any desire to do another triathlon. To prep you for the discussion, here is the 3rd graph installment!

IMG_1503

Eric and I are hoping to get out for a short bike ride tonight to loosen up our legs. Have a great night!

Page 2 of 2«12
[email protected] June 9, 2010 at 2:24 am

Those chickpeas look so good! I’m willing to try new, interesting flavor combos like that. I will definitely try that when I get home- there is NO peanut butter here in Hungary! Can you believe that?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

no peanut butter? What about other nut butters?

Johanna June 9, 2010 at 5:51 am

Hi Angela!
Fist, congrats to the tri-a-tri! I think you guys were awesome and it was really inspiring to read about. That’s graps is hilarious btw, I sooo know the feeling of ups-and-downs!

I tried to do a couple of green monsters for the last two weeks, and they just seems to taste better and better (partly because I learned a bit about how much of what ingrediens to be included… :P)! I really LOVE them and the fun part is that it seems to be affecting some of my friends – one of them tried doing one on her own yesterday, simply ’cause I told her about mine! How cool isn’t that? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

That is great to hear!

Katie June 9, 2010 at 6:56 am

I have to try this! I love chickpeas and peanut butter so much separately…I never would have thought to combine them.

Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) June 9, 2010 at 7:01 am

What a delicious looking recipe! I love chickpeas but I was stuck in a hummus rut and it looks like this is exactly what I needed to pull me right out. Thank you so much for posting <3

I love your tshirts, too. Angela you're such an amazing person. I know we get to appreciate that as we read your blog, and Eric does too as he shares every day with you, but I hope that every now and then you stop, step back and reflect on the good that you're doing for us, for yourself, and for the people who need it. You're an inspiration girl <3

Love ya!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:11 am

Aww thanks Steph =)

Katie June 9, 2010 at 7:42 am

YUM! Can’t wait to try the chickpeas. My favorite odd snack is yogurt with any kind of nut butter. I take a spoonful of the nut butter and dunk it in my yogurt cup that way you take a bite you get the fruity yogurt and the nutty taste. It works with pretty much any flavor yogurt.

KM June 9, 2010 at 7:48 am

How do you calculate your nutritional stats for all your recipes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:11 am

nutritiondata.com :)

kate June 9, 2010 at 7:48 am

Haah! I love your chart. I had such varied thoughts during my triathlon training/race, too. But I think I liked it!

Lisa June 9, 2010 at 7:50 am

I never would have thought to mix chickpeas and peanut butter together. I’m a bit skeptical, but I may have to try this one.

Great blog – came across it today!

Lauren W. June 9, 2010 at 9:26 am

Have you seen the recipe for pumpkin chickpeas a la Mama Pea of Peas and Thank You? I’m not sure if you’re allowed to link to other blogs that aren’t your own, but this recipe is delicious… http://peasandthankyou.com/2009/10/27/20-questions/ Also, she’s got a great recipe for Apricot Cinnamon Almond Dessert Hummus if you’re in the market!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:11 am

Yes I have tried it before (pumpkin chickpeas) and they are AmAZING!

Shannon June 9, 2010 at 9:32 am

Aww, I love the triathlon graph, haha! I finally got to try some glow bars – they came in a package I won from LiveWell360! Sooooo yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

Glad you like the bars! Congrats on winning the gift package…so lucky!

Jessica June 9, 2010 at 9:33 am

Wow! The chickpea toast looks fantastic! I will be definately be using that as a recovery snack in training.

Thanks OSG! :)

Lauren June 9, 2010 at 9:44 am

Love the graph!! I want to start making some! ;P

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

You should they are highly addicting

Jamie in Arkansas June 9, 2010 at 10:22 am

Hi Angela!
Dumb question – do you actually heat/cook the canned chickpeas first? Or can you just use them straight out of the can?
Thanks! Can’t wait to try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2010 at 11:08 am

Nope, I just rinse them very well (and drain) and then they are ready to roll.

Christa June 9, 2010 at 11:16 am

I can’t wait to try those PB chickpeas, they look amazing! Just had Mama Pea’s roasted maple spice chickpeas with dinner last night, my hubby and I practically inhaled them. You just can’t go wrong with anything mixed with PB! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 9, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Weird food combination that actually tastes amazing: Grilled cheese dipped in corn syrup. Strange, but so good.

Jessi June 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

My guilty pleasure is cottage cheese, fro yo and a diet hot chocolate packet mixed together with a bit of whipped cream on top. it’s amazing, but most people just cringe. :P

Annie D. @ Annie's Simple Life June 9, 2010 at 8:57 pm

HUH! I would have never ever thought of chickpeas and pb!!! What a great idea! I will try this!!!

Ashley Slayton June 10, 2010 at 9:03 am

I whipped this together to take to work this morning, and to my surprise (I’ll admit!), it was AMAZING!

Eve June 11, 2010 at 11:34 am

I just tried this for lunch today and It is AMAZING!!!!!!! So good, like very filling desert for lunch, I feel like a kid eating my desert before lunch :D

Ashley June 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm

My boss’ assistant just tossed by container I brought to work! She didn’t recognize the stuff! Now I’m sad.

Ivy June 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I’ve tried this and I loved it!

Kathi June 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I made the PB and chickpeas yesterday. I used chocolate peanut butter and rolled them up into little raw cookies balls and ate them for a snack. So good and filling!

Sadie May 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

This is so good! The chickpea flavor goes really well with the nut butter. Side note: Are you going to post the dessert hummus recipe you were referring to? I’ve tried several dessert hummus(es?) before and really enjoyed them

BRIGITTE July 3, 2012 at 11:28 am

So I finally tried this recipe and I love it! Definitely a new favorite snack/lunch recipe. I used Justin’s Maple Almond butter instead of peanut butter. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Thank you for all the wonderful recipes Angela! Looking forward to purchasing your cookbook when it comes out!

Audrey July 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I’ve been sifting through your recipes (a daily routine after only recently discovering your site) and was so happy to find this one! I’m all about trying any and all healthful vegan recipes, especially if they have the potential to raise an eyebrow. It just so happens that I had bread, peanut butter, chickpeas, and maple syrup handy, so I made myself an open face sandwich.

Delicious + quirky = brilliant.

Pictures: http://i50.tinypic.com/23uaqzd.jpg | http://i45.tinypic.com/52yuiw.jpg

I was a little liberal with the maple syrup because the peanut butter was a little too firm after sitting in the refrigerator. An extra teaspoon helped create a more malleable spread.

Thank you! I’m off to get lost in your recipes again!