All You Have To Do Is Tri

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 4, 2010

Happy Friday to you!

The week has flown by for Eric and I. Last night we sort of freaked out because we realized our Try-a-tri is in 2 days!

1) We had to pick up our rented wetsuits…

Aren’t they so cute? :lol:

IMG_1333

Sketchie wasn’t so sure about these mystery objects…

IMG_1333

Having the wetsuits here in the flesh made it much more real. As in… you can’t back out now suckas!

2) We had to look at the rules of the race and figure out what we need to bring.

We put together a GAME PLAN…

try

[Thank you to Grace for showing me her Tri checklist!]

We also liked this tip on the beginners tip page:

“The best advice I can give any Newbie triathletes is to get to the swim start early and do a good warm-up in the water.  The swim is often the most daunting part of a triathlon and I don’t care if you come from a swimming background, open water swimming is different than pool swimming.  When you can’t see the bottom and there are no lane ropes people often freak out a bit and then they have trouble swimming.   Factor in any trouble navigating and you’ve got a long swim on your hands.  Take some time to get comfortable in the water and with the fact that you can’t see as well.  Practice sighting the orange buoys so you won’t get lost.  The more time you spend getting comfortable, the less time you’ll spend panicking.”

Hopefully we are not forgetting anything major. I am still debating whether I will bring Dwight. I don’t think I can wear the Garmin 305 in water and I am a bit uneasy about leaving it at the transition area.

We found out last night that we have an open-water start, as opposed to starting the swim on land. They did not specify whether we will be able to stand in the water or if we will be treading water before the gun goes off. Either way, I am sure it will be fine. It is a try-a-tri for beginners after all. I am sure they aren’t going to throw us under a bus!

(click to enlarge)

tri

There are 3 WAVES for the try-a-tri start and each wave is 3 minutes apart. We still don’t know what wave we are in yet, but we should know by tomorrow.

We both feel a lot better now that we have taken some time to review how the race will proceed. Fear definitely comes from the unknown and once you understand what you are doing the fear dissipates! The same thing happened to me following my very first race last June 2009. I used to think running in a race would be scary and I swore I would never do it, but once I just did it I realized it wasn’t bad at all.

Right now they are calling for RAIN on Sunday and I hope that changes because I am not a fan of biking in the rain.

Onto breakfast! :biggrin:

Last night I also tested my first batch of dessert hummus!

IMG_8505

In this batch of dessert hummus went:

• Chickpeas
  • Peanut Butter
  • Pure Maple Syrup
  • Sea salt

I know it sounds completely weird and gross, but you have to trust me on this one…it was DELICIOUS! I didn’t measure when I made it last night, so I have to do another trial before I can post the recipe for you guys. It will be coming soon!

I decided it would be a fun layer in the banana soft serve vegan overnight oats this morning…

IMG_8506

Yummmmerz.

I made the carob banana soft serve again today (mix 2 tbsp carob powder into the banana soft serve when processing).

IMG_8509

With a sprinkle of coconut and a layer of dessert hummus, this was deelish!

IMG_8514

Back to work! I have a very lofty goal of getting caught up by the end of today. I don’t see it happening, but miracles do happen. :biggrin: Have a great day!!

Page 2 of 2«12
Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 4, 2010 at 10:45 am

Good Luck! I am anxious to hear how it went, as I am doing my first Try-A-Tri in Aug out in Oakville. I decided to choose that one simply because it was later in the summer so the water would be warmer (not for the 2hr drive to get there lol). Would love to come see the course and cheer you on, I will think of you while I run my 8k race Sunday am.

Stay warm and I have full confidence you’ll ROCK!

AngelaOSG June 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm

ohhh an august swim sounds much much warmer! lol. Thanks for your goodluck wishes! I agree confidence is key when trying something scary.

Callie June 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

I’m so excited to hear about your triathlon! I had a few tips I wanted to share with you (learn from my mistakes!)

As someone mentioned before, a brightly colored towel helps you find your bike b/c when you run into transition, it’s so hard to figure out where yours is! I actually always put my brightly colored towel on TOP of my bike, so I can find it faster. I lay out my stuff on a handtowel on the ground. This really helps establish your “space” – transition area can be cramped! I’d also suggest bringing an extra bottle of water or two to rinse off your feet. The run from the swim into transition can coat your bare feet with sand, dirt or gravel, depending on the location. Being able to rinse them off really helps! Just be careful that when you pour the water, it doesn’t pour down onto someone else’s stuff. Whoops. :)

As far as the tank top goes, it is REALLY hard to put on a tank top (especially one with a built in bra) over your swimsuit. Trust me – I”ve tried. It gets rolled up and…no fun. My friend had pinned her number to her tank top, tried putting it on, and the number ended up ripping off. No good. Are you going to wear any shorts? I pinned my number to my bike shorts the first time and that helped – I didn’t put a shirt on, just biked and ran in my bathing suit and it saved me that time. For my last triathlon, I got a race belt – BEST thing ever for triathlons. Your race number is clipped to that and you just put it on over what you are already wearing. Really makes things quicker.

Okay, so I have now realized I need to just write a blog post about triathlons for beginners and my own personal do’s and don’ts. :) Hope this helps!

AngelaOSG June 4, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for the tips!

When you said you put the race bib on your shorts- didn’t that get in the way when biking?

Chari June 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

Your wetsuit looks so tiny!!! How exciting for your tri! My first post partum 5k is this saturday and I’m getting nervous just for that lol

Bridget June 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m sure you and Eric are gonna kick that triathlons booty haha! Best of luck :)

Ruby June 4, 2010 at 11:00 am

One more tip I heard recently: Vaseline (or Body Glide) the neck as well!!!

Cristin June 4, 2010 at 11:07 am

Enjoy the tri! I did my first last year and I was SO nervous. Mainly about the swim. And it’s true, it’s easy to freak out but as long as you know that, you can talk yourself down. And everyone was so helpful and accomodating as I am sure they will be for yours. And you can always flip on your back and swim a little like that while looking at the sky to calm your nerves. It helped me!
I loved it and felt so exhilirated and proud afterwards. I made sure to have fun at every point. And I did! I think you will too. :)
Good luck!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 4, 2010 at 11:07 am

I just wanted to say that I love your site. All the different food creations look so delicious and really inspire me to try new things! I actually featured OSG on my blog because if there is anyone out there not reading this they darn well should be!!

Good look on the Try-a-Tri!

AngelaOSG June 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm

awww thank you!

AngelaOSG June 4, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Thank you! That is so nice :)

Jen S June 4, 2010 at 11:11 am

Best of luck to you and hubby on Sunday. There’s no question in my mind that you’ll do fine!
Looking forward to hearing all about it!

lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 4, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’m so excited you made dessert hummus! I cant wait till you come out with the recipe. I shall definitely be making it!

Paige (Running Around Normal) June 4, 2010 at 11:28 am

The wetsuits actually ARE cute. I’ve been thinking about trying dessert hummus, too!

Julie @savvyeats June 4, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Do it, it is SOOOO good!

Lisa June 4, 2010 at 11:48 am

Great tips! I’m saving this for next year when I start training for my triathlon!

Leah June 4, 2010 at 12:06 pm

That dessert hummus sounds just crazy enough to be AMAZING!

Nasim June 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Good luck! I’m sure you will do great. Here are some tips:
-Bring a plastic container(something big enough that you can put your feet in) fill it with water and place it next to your towl. That way, when you run in from your swim…all you have to do is step in it to get rid of all the sand, dirt, gravel.
-Take a dip in the water before your swim start… this will allow your body to become acclimated to the water so you when you do actually start your swim, you won’t experience a shock from the water temperture.
Good luck!!! Have a great time at the race! Enjoy it!!!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 4, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I LOVE the idea of dessert hummus! I bet it would be awesome with some cinnamon coated pita chips! YUM!

Kate June 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Good luck on your tri! I am sure you will do wonderful!!

Dessert hummus is delicious! I have made pumpkin hummus before, which was great with cinnamon pita chips.

She-Fit June 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Good luck with your Tri… I can’t wait to hear about how it goes.

Stefanie June 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Good luck with your triathlon. I’m sure you will do great. :)

Rachel June 4, 2010 at 1:29 pm

The swim start can be the most nerve racking because of the water and the thrashing and the people. Just keep calm and know that people may kick you or get really close and there will be a lot of water being thrown around. As you come out of the water, I like to keep an order to how I take everything off…start taking it off as you run to the transition area and you might want to practice (it might sounds ridiculous, but it helps). I like to do goggles, cap, zipper (of wetsuit), then start taking off the arms and peeling down to the torso, that way when you are next to your bike you just have the bottom have to take off!

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll have tons of fun!

Meg June 4, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Love the idea of the dessert hummus, you may be on to something!

Where do you buy your carob powder from?

Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Good luck, I’m sure you will both do great!

Anne June 4, 2010 at 2:10 pm

GOOD LUCK this weekend! I am sure you will both do great and have a fantastic time. Can’t wait to hear about it! :)

Lauren @ Team Giles June 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I am so going to make that hummus. Love me some hummus! Especially with the word dessert in it ;)

So excited to hear all about your tri, its going to be amazing!

Julie Boyer June 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Hi Angela,
Good luck this weekend. A few quick notes. Best to leave your Garmin at home. I believe Milton marks every km on the run course, so you’ll be able to keep track easily. Also, even though they do a great job keeping people out of transition, you never know and it’s small enough to be snuck out by someone who might fancy your Garmin over theirs.
A word of caution, depending on the temp of the water – it has been REALLY warm this season already, so just keep in mind that you might actually overheat in your wetsuit, which means more water to drink immediately on the bike. If the weather is hot, I also recommend putting ice in your camelback so that by the time you actually get to it, it’s still relatively cool. In the past, I used to put my waterbottles in the freezer the night before.
It seems like you’ve got everything organized. I always arrive 2 hours before the start for triathlons, giving me enough time to set up my “area”, try out my bike (just ride it for a few minutes and make sure everything works AND that it’s in an easy gear), and do a quick jog before the wetsuit and swim warm-up. Take a look at how the run from the water to the transition area is, how long it is and the surface. You can take your cap and goggles off while you run, and also strip off the top of your wetsuit while running quite easily.
Whew – that’s a lot of info! I hope it helps. I realize how much I miss it … but this summer it’s all about baby!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Good luck on your Try-a-tri tomorrow! I’m super excited for you both and can’t wait to hear about it! I’ve been wanting to try a tri myself and I’m sure you will have some great feedback!

Tina June 4, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Good luck!!!! Have so much fun. I know it will be a wonderful experience.

Liz Wicks June 4, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Totally off topic, but when I saw this pic of Kirsten Bell, I thought – “That looks a lot like OSG!”

Best of luck to you and hubby in the tri-weekend – I think that is beyond cool that you two are doing it TOGETHER. **Love it**

Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

[email protected] June 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

That race sounds amazing! I didn’t know there were races like that- I would definitely do one, since I have never done a real triathalon but it’s one of my life goals!
Your treats look so yummy :-)

Jenn June 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

You will do great at your Tri – I’m positive!
You have a wealth of tips here, everyone is so helpful. My little contribution is when setting up your station, roll your socks (think doughnuts). Coming out of transition from swim to bike, after getting your legs out of your wetsuit, kneel down on one knee and roll the pre-rolled sock up and over your foot. Nothing more frustrating that bouncing up and down on one foot, trying to keep your balance to put a sock on a sticky, sandy wet foot. Take your time and have your socks ready. It makes a difference! Also, make sure your do your helmet up first before you even bring your hands to the handle bars on your bike.
Most of all, Have Fun!!

Jenn

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

wow you are always thinking up new things. I can’t believe your tri is in 2 days, best of luck.

AGS June 4, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Bet you are super excited (and nervous) about the tri. Good luck. Tomorrow I run with my husband in the Komen Race for the Cure race (Washington, DC). It will be terrific — we are running for my mother-in-law, which makes it that much more inspiring.

Allison @ Food For Healing June 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm

thats so scary and exciting thats so soon!

I am making those oats and soft serve this weekend, (hopefully) just need to pick up some oats! and some more nanners. Can’t wait to try it out. I want to make some granola bars and crunchy granola, so i will get lots of use out of my oats.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I’m not sure if you’ve seen SATC2 yet, but your dessert hummus reminded me immediately of the scene where Samantha is eating hummus by the spoonful – the regular kind! That’s definitely a combination I never would have thought of. Best of luck in your tri, I’m sure you’ll be awesome! :)

Dawn Linklater June 4, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Have an awesome time at your try-a-tri! I look forward to reading all about it, the more details the better!! And I’m sure you will do amazingly well!!

jassy June 5, 2010 at 8:09 am

hey goodluck and most importantly…enjoy!:)