From Heat Wave To Snow Storm, This Is Canada

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 28, 2010

This was going to be a 1,000 words post but I wanted to chit-chat instead! :biggrin:

x2_1734e69

This is a shot from Alberta today…can you believe it?

I can!

Last June when I went to AB it snowed on JUNE 6th (my sister’s birthday of all days too!).

Thank you for your great suggestions on this morning’s wedding before race post! I will be telling you what my game plan is tomorrow! You gave me so many great ideas. I feel really good about it now.

I am getting caught up slowly but surely today. I feel so much better than I did yesterday and not as overwhelmed. I am getting caught up on orders, business calls, interviewing (1 more to go this afternoon), and some Farmer’s Market tasks today. I almost have a clear inbox which has not happened in over a month. There is no better feeling!

Lunch was awesome today too. Since we have had our heat wave all I want are salads, juices, fruits, and other light foods! The heat really impacts the way I eat. I have no desire for anything hot.

IMG_7866

Mammoth salad contained: 1 cup chickpeas, salsa, 1 chopped tomato, 2 organic romaine hearts, 1/2 cucumber, sea salt and black pepper, and my better than balsamic salad dressing.

Perfecto!

IMG_7870

Along with a juicy grapefruit…

IMG_7827

Afternoon snack will be a High Protein Renew Glo Bar:

IMG_7962

The video finally uploaded after a week!

[PS- Gena’s name is pronounced ‘JENNA’ and not ‘GEE-NA’ like I said. So sorry Gena!]

Happy Memorial Long Weekend to my American readers! Be safe and have fun.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER KERRIE!!! xo

Page 2 of 2«12
Jennifer May 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm

OMG! LOVE the video…..can definitely hear your wonderful Canadian accent when you say “out.” Thanks for sharing, you are making me want some of them right NOW! Even though it’s almost dinner time……hmmmm.
I love your blog and your recipes!

Jennifer May 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I totally don’t hear an accent! Maybe it’s because I am Canadian as well (Truro, Nova Scotia eh). I never get it when people say we have an accent. *Shrug*
Loved the video! I am going to have to search out those Cacao Nibs as I would love to make this for my kids and myself. :)

Jennifer May 28, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Hey Angela – I’ve tried this recipe once and it worked quite well (although my protein powder made it a bit too sweet for me). I was wondering if I could use another type of cereal, like Red River or even oat bran? Oatmeal and I have a troubled past (an oatmeal overload combined with an unpleasant experience = psychological issues with oatmeal!) , and I still find I don’t enjoy it all that much….But I loooovvve oatbran :)

Jennifer

Cindy May 28, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Alberta does have crazy weather! My parents were born and raised in Illinois and are living in Alberta now (short-term). The weather is quite a shock to them after the heat/humidity of Illinois! My sisters are there now for a visit, but the weather has been nice. I love your huge salad! I make them that big too and everyone thinks I am crazy!

Jin May 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Oat bran would technically work, but I’ve read that they tend to get a bit mushy and watery. Regular rolled oats stay nice and chewy!

Betsy May 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the video.(you’re so cute Angela) :) I have no reason not to make this now. Thanks for taking the time for making the video for all of us. Cheers :)

Camille May 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm

That’s crazy!
In Southern California, people lose their minds when it sprinkles in May like it did last night. :)

Nomi O May 28, 2010 at 10:03 pm

The weather in Alberta’s insane!!! 4 days ago in Calgary it was 25c, such great biking weather, and yesterday I was walking home in a snow storm. faaantastic! haha

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

That photo is EXACTLY why I’m so glad I don’t live in Edmonton any more!! Southern Ontario is far more conducive to my hot weather preference (in the summer time anyway!) Great video on the oats. I’m thinking that would make an awesome breakfast soon :)

Amber K May 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I just tried a packet of the Amazing Meal. I still had to add my usual protein powder and cocoa though. the AM didn’t have enough protein for me and the chocolate taste just wasn’t…chocolately enough! I love the great nutrients it has, but it is way too expensive for me, especially if I still have to buy everything else too!

Great video, the VOO with BSS is so pretty!

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) May 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Aww, you’ll rock out at your marathon no matter what!

Haha, here in Houston it’s easily hitting the 90’s. Nothing like a Houston summer to fuel a diet of fruit and frozen yogurt.

Mary May 29, 2010 at 12:51 am

Great video!
Your blog is very inspiring! I recently bought chia seeds and the Amazing Grass powder. I make a GM smoothie every morning! YUM!

Evie Chan May 29, 2010 at 1:04 am

Crazy weather! A few weeks ago, it was a bright and sunny day in BC – and then it hailed. LOL

Tinka May 29, 2010 at 1:22 am

Angela you have me obsessed with BSSVOO!!
They are soo good. Western Australia is actually out of chai seeds at the moment (!) but I just substituted them for some wheatgerm and crank out the oats every morning.
Great video too :)

Ricki May 29, 2010 at 7:25 am

Yep, gotta love Canadian weather. And great video (I’m hungry now). Accent? What accent?? ;)

Meg May 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

I realllllllllllllly hope it doesnt snow this year on june 6th haha.

great video!
have a nice weekend…it’s supposed to be great weather!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear May 29, 2010 at 8:12 am

So there ARE places in the world who have worse weather than we here in Finland?! :D

Sara May 29, 2010 at 8:52 am

Andrea! You are so fun.
I have a quick question-
Can you make the banana soft serve in a blender? I’m pretty sure I tried to a while ago with a small banana and it didn’t come out so well. I really want to make this!!
-Sara

Jen @ Happy Heart, Happy Mind May 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Great video! I love your kitchen!!!

Sydney May 29, 2010 at 10:07 am

hey angela i just wanted to say that your a genius! i just had some banana soft serve vegan over night oats and it was AWESOME! i absolutely loved it! next time i’m going to use frozen berries as the soft serve for summer time!

Jen S May 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Hi Angela,

Do you have a juicer? Or do you usually make your drinks in your KA that has seen it’s better days? I still want a vitamix!