Make Work Fun

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 15, 2010

Hello there!

Thank-you for the amazing discussion on negative comments this morning! I loved, loved, loved this piece of advice from Ashley K’s mom:

Pay close attention to the things that make your blood boil. Get your heart racing. Makes you want to prove people wrong. For it’s those things that you’re MOST passionate about – and that you should always pursue!”

Isn’t that so true?!

My mid-morning snack was a raw and gluten-free Glo Bar. Just a few more tweaks! I have been consulting an amazing raw foodist for help with all of my questions. Gena has been a huge help. :)

Eric and I are already fighting over the dwindling supply…

IMG_4293

I didn’t think he would go for a raw Glo Bar, but Eric is crazy over these!

Lunch started with an old friend…well, half of an old friend (the bigger half mauhauha)

IMG_4294

plus one of my favourite tomato sauces…

IMG_4299

Mixed with about 1.5 cups of re-heated quinoa!

I love making a huge batch of grains on Sunday and then using them for leftovers during the week. Very easy throw together lunches.

IMG_4303

I love polka dots on dishware. Actually I just love polka dots in general.

IMG_4302

Then it was time to train my new employee.

Meet Kristin, everyone!

I first met Kristin at an OSG meet-up in Toronto. Kristin is currently training at a culinary school in Toronto to become a chef… and let me tell you she is a master in the kitchen!

I was a bit worried about how I would do today with my first training, but I found that it was pretty easy. I mean, I do do this every single day after all. ;)

If there is one thing I did know going into this process it was that I want Glo Bakery to be a FUN environment for my employees. I don’t want people to dread coming here to work. I want people to be inspired, motivated, and excited about the future of the business! Basically, I want this work environment to be anything BUT what I experienced in previous workplaces…dull, boring, sterile, and uptight…

Life is short, let’s have some fun!

With this goal in mind, I started off my first official training day with a beautiful walk outside with Kristin. Why be stuck indoors when you can get some fresh air, reduce stress, and have a nice chat? (I used to love when my teachers would let us have class outdoors!).

The day flew by and ended with Kristin and I learning how to jump start a car (don’t ask!). ;)

After Kristin left, I had a quick bite to eat with Eric and got back to work as I still had several orders to do up. It has been a LONG day and after I hit publish on this post, I will be working until about 11pm. Can’t wait for sleeeeeeep.

Updates:

Today’s question- What do you do for a living? Is your workplace a fun environment?

Sweet dreams…

Page 2 of 2«12
lindsay April 16, 2010 at 5:42 am

I love that advice, so true and so nice to hear! Quinoa and avocado have to be a FAVORITE of mine. Eat up!

Jenn April 16, 2010 at 6:19 am

I used to love my job as a manager for a large contact centre. When the company was aquired by different firm, it wasn’t so much fun, the people made the job fun. Unfortunately, that kept me there for longer than I should have been. I wasn’t happy, but stayed because I loved the people! We were all laid off in June, and this gave me the opportunity to go back to school and totally get a do-over. Graduating from Medical Office in 4 weeks and looking forward to a new career (hopefully!).

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 16, 2010 at 7:07 am

Well I just started working for this online bakery… and my boss is kind of mean… kidding! haha

I had so much fun, I am very excited to work for your bakery! You really were good at training, easy peasy! I’m sure you’ll be an awesome boss :)

I have had the good, the bad, and the ugly… jobs that I was excited to go to, jobs that made me want to pull my hair out… I’m sure this one will be the former!

xo

Kris

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 16, 2010 at 7:11 am

That looks like a dollarama bowl!

Katie April 16, 2010 at 7:39 am

I never think of quinoa as pasta. It looks so good with the pasta sauce! Polka dots are so much fun on anything!

I’m a full-time mom. With a 6-month old, my work environment is a blast!

Jenna April 16, 2010 at 7:40 am

I wish i could work for you :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) April 16, 2010 at 7:52 am

Um, can I come work for you please???

GlowingBIL April 16, 2010 at 8:29 am

My workplace is mixed. I work from home so the joy of having breakfast and lunch with my family everyday is wonderful. My job can be political with my current management team but how bad can it be since I WORK FROM HOME and love it :)

As for avacado Patrick (Angela’s nephew) and I split one mixed with half a tomato last night… yum.

Good luck to Kristen

Darci April 16, 2010 at 8:52 am

sounds like a great first day for Kristen!

i would say I have a great work environment. we all get along great and there isn’t much for cat-i-ness, which is good!!

Sophie @ yumventures April 16, 2010 at 8:55 am

So exciting that you have an employee! You have come so far with your bakery, its amazing :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 16, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’m happy to hear it went so well:) Congrats!

Catherine April 16, 2010 at 9:27 am

Well, I don’t exactly love my job, but there are some real gems that I work with that make the day go by much quicker. Those people and lovely blogs such as yours definitely make work more enjoyable! One perk of my job that I really like though is the fact that they’re very flexible and I can work from home if not feeling well, leave early without needing permission, etc. because we have a very open “so long as you’re getting your work done” type policy – it also involves free tickets to Yankees games during work ;)

Diana April 16, 2010 at 10:12 am

I work in interior design. I help people design new kitchens and bathrooms! I love working in a creative environment. Althought most of the time it is fun – there is some math involved which I could live without. haha.

Sarah April 16, 2010 at 10:25 am

Congratulations on your first employee! I currently work as an assistant/office manager/marketing manager/sales manager for a small event management business. I went to school for event management, and while I love seeing the ideas turn into reality, I do not love working for this company. There is a lot of tension and ill will, and I would love to find something where I can use my creativity, my passion for healthy living, and my extreme organizational skills to the max!

Kat April 16, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hi Angela, long time reader..first time poster I think!

Just wanted to say how excited I am for a RAW glo bar. Can’t wait to order, I’m sure they are delicious.

I work for a financial advisor and love my boss, definetly something is to be said for the kind of boss you work for. Congratulations on your growing career!

Sam April 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I am an Executive Assistant to the CEO of an IT company. Some days I love it, some days I hate it, but usually I fall into the middle. I love the job itself. It’s the frenzy at which we move that leaves something to be desired.

Jaimers April 16, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Congrats on your new employee! That must be very exciting for you! :)

I blog for a living. It’s awesome. I’m my own boss and I do what I want. I work a lot more than I did when I had the “9 to 5” but it’s what I want to do, so it often doesn’t feel like work.

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 16, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Playing catch up on your blogs and thought I almost passed this one up with the avocados pictured. One of my favorite veggies/fruit. I eat them a lot even though they are high in fat, I always use the excuse, “it’s the good fat”….LOL! Yummy!

As for my job, I am a QA Analyst for bank software….ugh! I really don’t enjoy my job, it’s a very up and down stressful job and can be very mundane at times. I do have to say that I have some freedoms that a lot of folks don’t but like others some days are better than others. How awesome for you to have employees, I’m sure this is going to make your job a bit easier. I wish you all the luck and will order bars soon.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 17, 2010 at 6:22 am

I am a psychologist, and I work in the BEST work environment! Everyone is super helpful. We celebrate every one’s birthdays and have a good time every day.

Susan April 17, 2010 at 8:01 am

Ooohhhh, I love Kristin!!! I’m so behind, that’s so exciting she’s working with you now!!

Currently, I’m a Communications Officer at a small Liberal Arts university here in town. It’s my alma matter, and my boss, the communications director, taught me. When the temporary position opened up, he thought of me and gave me a call! I LOVE it. I love the school to begin with, but I work in a gorgeous building, the people there are awesome, the work is easy but just challenging enough, with a variety of projects. Some days I’m at my desk writing, others I’m off supervising photo shoots, or interviewing interesting alumni.

My favourite thing about my current boss is that he accepts mistakes and moves on. He doesn’t expect perfection from me and has a good sense of humour about screw ups. Often times there’s not much you can do to fix mistakes, so he knows it’s best to just learn from them and move on :)

Heidi April 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I work in Loss Prevention catching shoplifters. It is the best job in the world–won’t do anything else ever again! And I currently have the best bosses so I’m one lucky gal! :)

Dominique April 19, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Up until the end of last year I used to be a post office manager. It was an awesome job but I couldn’t deal with my boss. I was the last manager to quit so I pretty much stuck it out as long as I could.

Now I work in a lab that analyzes food samples and we also do quality control-related stuff. It’s pretty cool but I just deal with the customer service stuff, not the actual testing. I think that if I did the actual testing I’d be a little stunned to find out what was in some of the samples we often get in the lab.

MB April 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Unfortunately I’ve never worked in a fun law office. I don’t think there is such a thing which is why I don’t want to go back to one. I’ve been unemployed since November and can’t remember the last time I was this happy. The stress of the daily grind was killing me. I’m so happy to be out but now I have to find a fun place that will pay me enough money to keep the roof over my head. Kristin is lucky to have you for a boss.