Tumble-Dee, Tumble-DOH

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 13, 2010

Good evening!

Thanks for your comments on this morning’s post! Apparently we need a wetsuit made for triathlons and not for surfing! Seems obvious, but I wouldn’t have thought about this had you guys not mentioned something. It looks like I will have to check out the Costco ones a bit more closely and see what kind they are. My gut feeling is that they are probably surf wetsuits, but I will have to check… [This article was also a great read!]

Today was going swimmingly…until I took quite the tumble!

I was carrying a big 40 lb pail of flax seed and the metal handle came loose on me, swinging the pail out of control. I had to move fast and lurch to the side to avoid the pail landing on my foot and I took a nasty tumble on the ground. It hurt…big time! Now my right leg is quite sore in the groin area and I have been icing it on and off. I am thankful that the pail did not land on my foot (I swear it would have broken a bone!) and hopefully I will be fine tomorrow after some TLC!

I was not in the mood to cook. Dinner was a spin-off of lunch! Two meals for the price of one and ready in 5 minutes…

IMG_4231

Potato, Chickpea, and Carrot Stew over Ezekiel Toast

Ingredients:

Directions: Boil water and add to wok with 1/2 a bouillon cube. Dissolve fully and cool. Pour veggie broth and about 2 cups Crisped Potato, chickpea, and Carrots with homemade ketchup (including the leftover ketchup too!) into blender. Process for just a few seconds on ‘chop’ setting. I left my stew chunky. Now transfer stew mixture back into wok and add seasonings. Heat and serve over toast.

IMG_4239

I sure got my tater fix today, didn’t I? :)

As I ate, I prepped for my meeting tomorrow. Lots of rules and regulations for vendors I am finding out!

IMG_4247

I love pouring stew-like things over toast.

IMG_4240IMG_4246

Ready in a few minutes and gone in a few minutes!

IMG_4234

Pink plate is from Target…I miss Tar-jay!

THE [maybe] GOOD NEWS? Target really is rumoured to be coming to CANADA!! I will explode with delight when/if that store plants itself on Canadian soil! I swear I am going to sleep in a tent overnight for the grand opening.

We are begging you Target. ;)

IMG_4237

Please excuse my desperation. I love me a good deal and cute stuff.

Tonight’s question- What are your favourite stores to shop at, for the following:

1) Clothing

2) Food

3) Home decor + furniture

4) Gifts

Mine are:

1) Forever 21, Lululemon, Target (my first clothing purchase from Target found here!), Jacob, Bebe, and occasionally RW & Co.

2) I don’t have a favourite right now…we buy our groceries at Loblaws though. Whole Foods is about a 45 minute drive from us (which is probably a good thing because I would spend too much money there). I still have going to my first Trader Joe’s on my US destination wish list! Perhaps if I attend HLS in Chicago there will be a Trader Joe’s nearby??

3) Craigslist. It’s fun to recycle cool house items! We buy a lot of used things for our house- including our couch off Craigslist. We got it almost new for a fraction of the original cost. Our family has also given us a lot of used home items that they didn’t need anymore. I love hand me downs! :)

4) For unique gifts- Urban Outfitters can be good for the hard to buy for person. It really depends on who I am buying for though!

I’m off to ICE, ice, baby.

~~

The only people we can’t forgive are the ones we are still afraid of. ~Gramma Mildred

Page 2 of 2«12
Midgetkeeper April 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Clothes: Banana Republic, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Old Navy

Food: Commissary, Stop & Shop, Green Grocer (local health store) and Whole Foods if I feel like driving

Home Decor: Target, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn

Gifts: Amazon.com

Kt April 13, 2010 at 10:18 pm

1) Clothing: Aritzia and lulu

2) Food: Whole foods :)

3) Home decor + furniture: Pottery Barn! And Anthropology.

4) Gifts: anywhere and everywhere!

Allie April 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm

1) Clothing- Express, NY & Co, Target, Forever 21

2) Food- Trader Joes, Whole Foods

3) Home decor + furniture- Target! And Ross/TJ Maxx have cool unique stuff

4) Gifts- Things remembered, Target haha

Jolene April 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm

1) Clothing – We have no good clothing stores in Regina. I loved Century 21 in NY … it blew my mind. I also love MetroPark, but we don’t have on in Saskatchewan.

2) Food – I shop at Safeway, but I loved Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods in NY city (just visited them for the first time).

3) Home decor + furniture – Pier 1 Imports

4) Gifts – Unique stores around town.

Kris | iheartwellness.com April 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Love the looks of this sexy stew!! I have missed the stew days and could easily enjoy on very soon!

Ahhh my favourite stores to shop for clothing are:

Holt Renfrew, Aritzia, H&M, and of course Foreva 21……only online though! Its cheaper! LOL

I haven’t been over here for awhile, I missed so many of your posts, I must catch up!

XXOO
Kris

Sarah April 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I used to really like forever 21, until I found out about their heavy usage of sweatshops in manufacturing their products. There’s a wonderful documentary entitled “Made in LA” detailing alot of the abuses that go on within their particular franchise. It describes a woman working $4 per hour 10 hours a day 6 days a week in a factory with no running water and no bathroom… SAD! Of course they aren’t the only ones….

maria April 13, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Old Navy is my favorite clothing store hands down. Good quality clothes and affordable. I like Forever21 okay, but I feel their quality isn’t great and that sucks. :)

sarah April 13, 2010 at 11:56 pm

awe, I know you will recover in no time. Good thing spring is around the block which will cheer you up a bit ^^. Wish we had target down in New Zealand

Tania April 14, 2010 at 12:08 am

1)Anthropologie/Target
2) Farmer’s Market!
3) World Market/ Anthro
4) Anthro/Target!

LOL!! Notice a pattern????? I would so camp out for the grand opening too!!! I plan on doing that if we ever get and H&M around where I live…!!

Sorry about your fall! Darn flax. :(

Lacey April 14, 2010 at 2:59 am

You said you like Craigslist have you ever checked out www.freecycle.org its the best. We have got loads of awesome things off of there including a sideboard and brand new tennis rackets. Its also a great place to get rid of things too.

Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) April 14, 2010 at 3:22 am

Forever 21 ROCKS. If you squint sideways, it looks like Anthropologie…which is awesome but way too expensive for me most of the time.

And for food…Trader Joe’s!!! Unfortuneatly there are none when I go home to Houston. The best grocery stores in Texas are HEB and Central Market. Central Market is like Whole Foods, but much less pretentious and filled with fewer “not particularly good but OMG IT’S ORGANIC!” items. You pay a lot, but it’s always really high quality. HEB is super reasonably priced and has everything.

lisa April 14, 2010 at 5:31 am

1. The Gap and J. Crew (especially the J. Crew outlet)

2. Trader Joe’s and the local food coop

3. Target and IKEA

4. any book store

Gotta love Target! I didn’t include them in my clothing section, but I love buying workout clothes there.

Cassandra April 14, 2010 at 6:35 am

I almost bought that entire plate collection from target…. but have been trying to behave myself…. Target needs to get a restraining order against me because I’m there so much and always spend my life saving there lmao!

Chris April 14, 2010 at 6:55 am

1) Goodwill first, Target 2nd, Maurices 3rd
2) Hyvee, Hen House
3) Nebraska Furniture Mart, Garage Sales
4) depends on the person

Rachael April 14, 2010 at 8:43 am

“I will explode with delight..” How cute are YOU?! I hope you recover from your tumble!

Romy April 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

1. Fairweather & Banana Republic (only in US since the Canadian one is too expensive)
2. Food: Superstore anything Loblaws related
3. Home Decor: Bombay Company
4. Gifts: I have 2 kids so birthday parties at least twice a month. Wal mart or Chapters.

Btw, I’m from Oakville. I will try to look for you at the farmers market this summer. If you are looking for cheaper organic/health foods you can try Organic Garage in Oakville. They have a lot of cool products and are smaller than whole foods. They even have samples (got me hooked on the Almond Breeze).

We love your blog. My 3 year old and 6 year old are hooked on the green monster.

Elizabeth April 14, 2010 at 9:14 am

I still can’t believe Target doesn’t exist in Canada (yet). The horror!

1. Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, TJMaxx and a great boutique in South Boston called Habit.
2. I usually get my groceries delivered via Peapod (cuts down on random purchases, saves gas, and helps with meal planning), but I stop into Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods every now and again :)
3. Target, Homegoods, Jordan’s
4. Bookstores! I love giving books and baked goods as presents, or unique finds from our local markets.

Hope you’re recovering from that spill! :)

Carolyn @ lovinlosing April 14, 2010 at 9:53 am

The only place I’ve been shopping recently is the grocery store. ;)

Jenn April 14, 2010 at 11:34 am

I’m in a border town so I get the best of US and Canada!!!

Clothes – Jacob, Express, Club Monaco, H&M
Food – Zehrs (Loblaws), Whole Foods, local farmers market
Home Decor – Home Sense, Ikea, Structube, Bou Clair, C&B
Gifts – LL Bean (everybody gets a personalized boat tote from me)

Kait April 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I’m in Portland, OR

clothes: old navy, anthropologie (sales only, they’re just to expensive otherwise), Buffalo Exchange

Food: New Seasons, Winco (not my favorite but the cheapest), Trader Joe’s

Home: Ikea, craigslist, antique stores

Gifts: Powell’s bookstore (biggest book store ever, so amazing) and Sock Dreams (also totally awesome for gifts, online too)

Grace aka Triathlonbabe April 14, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Hopefully that fall didn’t bruise anything internally that you’re not aware of….eeek!

Your food fixings always look good and probably almost always taste good no matter what. :)

My favorite stores to shop at for:
1) Clothing – World Earth Provisions, Target, Dillards, Ross, Ebay, Lululemon

2) Food – Market Street, Central Mkt, Sprouts and Whole Foods, sometimes Super Target

3) Home decor + furniture – Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target…Outdoor – Lowes and Home Depot

4) Gifts – On-line, Amazon, Cafe Press, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target

Notice Target’s one of my favs!

Rosa April 15, 2010 at 11:28 pm

1) Clothing – Target, Filene’s Basement, Marshalls–gotta love bargains!
2) Food – Whole foods… but I only go there like once a month or less cuz I seem to be missing a huge chunk from my wallet every time! Hehe.

So I’m not sure where the thing in Chicago you’re talking about is, but I lived there for a while and there’s a nice Trader Joe’s right smack in the middle of downtown! It seems like it would be small because it’s in the city, but it’s actually normal sized! Make sure you try some of their boxed Indian vegetarian meals :) mmmmm.