Exciting Announcement!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 12, 2010

Good morning!

Thank you so much for all of your amazing comments in last night’s Kicking the Coke habit!!! Eric and I read through all of them together and we were blown away by your encouragement and personal stories. I think he definitely feels like this is something he can conquer!! :) If you are looking for some encouragement to kick the soda habit or to just stick to a healthier lifestyle, I suggest reading over the comments because they are super motivating!

I purchased two huge bins of organic spinach at Costco on the weekend only to come home and realize that I already had two bags of spinach in the fridge! Opps. This week has been deemed SPINACH week in our house.

My morning consisted of a beautiful Green Monster packed with as much spinach as I could fit…

IMG_4153

[Winter was hard on our Ikea outdoor table this winter!!! Guess we should have brought it inside…oops]

Enjoyed outside in the sun. I love Spring!

IMG_4151

Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 ice cubes
  • 4 cups spinach
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon Artisana Raw Almond Butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Meal Powder

Eric wants to tear out our rotting deck this summer and build a new one (not sure if the budget will allow for this however!). We are also talking about building a vegetable garden!

IMG_4152

Exciting Announcement!

Yesterday Eric and I had quite the interesting discussion on our hike!

We got on the topic of fun outdoor activities that we can do this summer and Eric started talking about how he wants to get into Mountain biking. We have so many conservation parks within a few miles of us and there are so many challenging trails to tackle. He also wants to get clip-ins for his mountain bike which is something I wouldn’t mind getting myself, especially if we were going to do it on a regular basis.

THEN…we started talking about swimming in lakes. Saturday at Costco, we came across these awesome wet suits for just $33 (don’t you love Costco?). We’d love to get some to wear in the lake up at Eric’s parent’s house (the water doesn’t warm up until about July or August!).

We chatted some more and then Eric said it would be fun to train for a triathlon!!!!!

600-triathlon1

[source]

My jaw dropped. I have never heard Eric say he wanted to compete in a sport. He used to play sports in high school (football, basketball, volleyball, etc), but he was turned off by the overly competitive nature of it. He really dislikes when people take sports too seriously and he says it took the fun out of it for him.

Here’s the thing.

Eric is not a swimmer (from his lips, not mine!). He never took lessons and he considers himself a very poor swimmer. He loves swimming in lakes, but as for actually doing strokes and whatnot, he says he is horrible at it and really doubts his ability.

He also really dislikes running.

So you can see my total shock at him saying that he wanted to try a triathlon! This is bringing him WAY out of his comfort zone.

I told Eric about the Subaru Triathlon Series with TriSport Canada that is really popular in Ontario. I know about it because I was going to train for a triathlon last June (and didn’t tell you guys!!), because I chickened out and never signed up! I just couldn’t bring myself to try it. This time last year I was also scared to run in a RACE and after my first 10k race I discovered that it wasn’t scary at all!

Untitled

The Subaru Triathlon Series offers an entry level race called ‘TRY A TRI’ for beginners doing their first triathlon.

We checked it out online last night and Eric told me that he wants to SIGN UP! GAH!

The great thing about this Subaru Triathlon Series is that they have several locations in Ontario and different dates to chose from. We decided on the Milton Kelso location because we will be able to do some of our training on the actual course as it isn’t too far from us!

The TRY A TRI is VERY beginner friendly and I think anyone could do it:

• Swim 375m, Bike 10km, Run 2.5km

Course Map [click to enlarge]:

Untitled

Eric and I will be not only competing in our first triathlon on JUNE 6th 2010, but we will be doing it TOGETHER!

I am just so excited that he wants to do this. I would run to Yukon and back if he asked me to. I want us to support each other during our training and conquer our fear of swimming in lakes! I can’t believe we are really signed up!!

Today’s question- Do you consider yourself a good swimmer? Do you have a fear of swimming in open water like we do? Would you ever train for a triathlon or have you ever competed in one?

I consider myself an OK swimmer. When I was young I used to take swimming lessons and I swam competitively in grade 1, however I have not done any lessons in over 12 years and I feel really out of tune. I have always had a fear of swimming in lakes and not being able to see all the wonderful creatures around me…I’m hoping with some practice (and a wet suit) we will feel more comfortable.

Enjoy your day!

Page 3 of 3«123
Fae April 12, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Wow, that is exciting news!!!!!

I was hoping to run my first 5k late May or June, but due to some shin pain I don’t think I will be ready. However, this try a tri you mention had kind of got me thinking….

I could still run a race without pushing it too hard and the swimming and biking would be great cross training to get me in better shape. I also took swimming lessons as a child, but haven’t in about 15 years or so!! The swimming would definitely be the most challenging and SCARY part, especially being in open water!!!!! Eeeeee

I’m off to go check out the Subaru site. Thanks!!!

Shalyn April 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm

YAYY!! We are doing the same!! We are both runners, cyclists BUT my husband was not a swimmer at all.

Well last year, he bought a swim pass and started swimming daily laps at the local pool. He had 1 swim lesson (private) where he could work the stroke..and within a few weeks he was on fire! Well, not on fire literally BUT he really picked up and was swimming lots, and enjoying..he is fast and will be doing a try a tri this summer in BC

Anna April 12, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I am great at hanging out in the lake but really struggle with the proper form of the strokes like your husband Eric was saying. I want so badly to do a tri but I am first working through my fear of running races and then working up to a baby TRI. Good Luck to you guys!! Keep me updated. I would love to hear more as it will help me keep going as I gear up for my first running race! Hopefully without ending up in the fetal position from fear ;)

Miranda April 12, 2010 at 4:23 pm

ANGELA!!! So exciting for you and your hubby! Also very exciting because I am already signed up for the try-a-tri event, however I signed up for the event in Orillia, because well I’m a chicken and felt that I needed more time to train.
I consider myself a strong swimmer, in that I could swim out to help someone who needed the help. HOWEVER race wise I do not consider myself a strong technical swimmer. I have however met with a trainer once in the pool for an hour and she gave me lots of tips and advice that I am implimenting in my swims for training.
Good luck and have fun training and competing with the hubby.

Allison April 12, 2010 at 4:40 pm

When I started tri training, I wasn’t much of a swimmer. I was very comfortable in the water and enjoyed swimming, but I didn’t think I could swim “like a grown-up”. What I learned is that swimming has a very short learning curve- once you start, you will make progress very quickly.
I’ll be doing my second (and maybe 3rd, and 4th) tri’s this summer- it is addictive!!
Happy tri training!!

Rachel April 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm

No, I do not consider myself a good swimmer. I can swim. But I’ve never done it athletically besides a few laps here and there.

Yes, open water sounds terrifying! I can’t be in a lake more than 5 minutes

Your post inspired me to look into tri’s in my area!!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow April 12, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Go Eric GO!!! How cool is he today?!?!

My fiance and I have always wanted to do a race together. He has done a 1/2 Ironman (not really my thing!) but we are going to start with a spring or maybe an olympic for the fall.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 12, 2010 at 5:21 pm

oooh I am always so excited when I hear other people deciding to enter the wonderful world of triathlons! Competing in the ‘try a tri’ events are how I got into the sport and they are so fun! The best thing about triathlon – you never get bored in training because the sessions are so varied!! Can’t wait to read about your race! Triathlon empowered me so much!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm

That’s a super friendly triathlon. I’ve always wanted to do one, but they all seem to extreme for me.

I LOVE spinach smoothies! I’m making one for my sick friend tomorrow :)

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm

That is awesome and fantastic that you can do it together. It’s so soon I’m surprised, but you’ll be ready. Best of luck.

Chelsea April 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I completed an Ironman on June 24, 2007. It was one of the best experiences of my life! I’m a distance person, so I’ve never done anything shorter than an Olympic distance tri BUT my husband did one similar to the one you are training for. He, like Eric, was not a swimmer. He had never had swim lessons and could basically stay afloat in the water. Thankfully, I taught swim lessons when I was in high school in college and was able to “teach” him to swim.

I would STRONGLY encourage Eric to take some lessons. Open water swimming can be intimidating even for the most accomplished pool swimmers out there. In addition to not being able to see where you’re going, you have bodies ALL over you, basically beating you up and (it feels like) trying to drown you. Swim lessons will help with that.

Lastly, the wet suits that you saw at Costco probably aren’t legal for the competition. You can’t wear a traditional wetsuit because they are too floaty and give you an “edge”. There is a millimeter restriction but I can’t remember it off the top of my head.

Good luck!!!

John April 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Good luck to both of you! You are starting the smart way since he isn’t a swimmer. I’m an alright swimmer and 3 years ago I did my first triathlon. I started with the Olympic after being talked out of the Half Ironman. You’ll have fun as it’s more you against the course and your mind :-)

Jolene April 12, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I am not a good swimmer, but I can swim enough to get by. I just don’t have a proper stroke, and I don’t like swimming with my face going in and out of the water.

My hubby is a fish though, and he competes in triathlons, etc. He is doing a half iron man in August.

Jennifer April 12, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Yay welcome to the tri side :) Are you guys going to get road bikes?

My husband will be competing in a triathlon this Saturday at the Gold Coast (Australia). He’s been training hardcore for (it such a crazy schedule he has). I’m really excited for him and a bit envious because I can’t swim! I’ve gone to the pool with him a few times but can only do breath stroke. He’s told me to get swimming lessons but I’m a bit embarrassed. I would cope with the swimming and biking fine but not the swimming.

Yay I’m just so excited for you and Eric. You will have a ball and get hooked!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:46 pm

were not getting road bikes for our first, but possibly down the road if it is something we enjoy and want to do as a hobby!

sally April 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Angie
There is a TRI at Kelso.
Biking, swim, run.
Not really hard.
Might be worth looking into and it is also close to home for you.
Angie you would need straps not clips for your mountain bike, you can spran your ankle very easy with clips, you have to twist at the ankle to release.

Tracie @hollafoodzone April 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Well if you DID run to Yukon you’d find they host some pretty challenging physical fitness events there as well! Congrats on the decision to try a tri!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Really? Destination race perhaps??

Meg April 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I love swimming, I got all my levels at summer camp…so I would say I’m pretty good.
I think it would be awesome to do a triathalon, but I’m not a great runner.
That is so exciting that you will embark on this together!!!

Sherry April 12, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Hi Angie,
Congrats on the bars. I am going to try to pop over to the store and get a picture of them for you. Not as far for me. =) Eric doing a tri, kelso does have a tri http://www.elementracing.ca/raceinfo.php
He would be best trying the mini off road. It’s not to expensive and close to home for you.
Tell Eric to grease up his chain we will take him mountain biking. We are at Kelso or hilton falls when ever the sun is out. If he has been biking awhile he can do the harder runs with Cory and the boys. For you Angie if we are doing Kelso its best to bike but at Hilton Falls you can run and we keep meeting up or stay with you.
It would be great to have you guys come out with us. The kids would love to see you.
I will send you an email with my phone number.
Take care Congrats again.
Auntie Sherry
Xo

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Sounds like a plan..can’t wait!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 12, 2010 at 7:14 pm

lol– I totally thought you were going to say that you were pregnant!! :-)

But this is very exciting too!!! I’m so excited to read about your training, etc. !

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I had a feeling ;)

Kristin April 12, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I am so excited for you guys to be doing this together! Will you be posting about Eric’s training as well?

I don’t know if I swim correctly but I swim mostly with my legs which are really strong. Once when I was swimming in Mexico and my now ex bf was sitting in a boat with some other guy. The other guy said, “Who is that girl swimming at ramming speed?” I have always been proud of that!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Yes I will be posting about both of our training as when he trains I will likely be right beside him doing it too!

Britt April 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I’ve completed several short distance triathlons and in June/09 I completed a half ironman. It was such an amazingly crazy experience. The tri community in general is such a welcoming and helpful bunch. You’ll have a fantastic time. If Eric is leery about swimming, I’d definitely suggest a few lessons. I joined a masters swimming group which was wonderful. I was a strong swimmer, but the coaches helped to tweak my technique to make me a more effective swimmer :)
I’m so excited for you! One tri and you’ll be hooked!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I have a feeling with my personality I will be hooked. Eric said, ‘Don’t assume I am going to go all race crazy just because I signed up for this.’ haha. Im trying to take it one day at a time!

Lauren M. April 12, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Your green monster is so….GREEN!!! You must have packed a ton of Popeye in there!

'Dee April 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm

How exciting! Go Ang & Eric!!

I consider myself a decent swimmer – used to be strong but out of practice. I grew up in the ocean and lakes, so no prob with open water, but it looks like people soup in the swim portion of a tri! I’d be more afraid of someone kicking me in the noggin than of swimming in open water, LOL.

Can’t wait to follow your training together!

Andrea April 12, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Hi!!!
I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now but never really comment… i was sooo excited though to see that you and eric want to train and compete in a triathlon!!! I did my first tri-a-try in windsor, ontario in grade 10 and was from then on hooked!! Now I train with a triathlon club at my university.
I think that you both will really love it! You will find that running and swimming and great cross training for your running. If eric is new to swimming then lessons would be a good idea i think. but once he gets the technique down and swims a few times a week he could really be ready for the race.
Open water swimming can be a lot better than swimming in the pool – you dont have to keep turning at the wall around every 25 m lol. But like someone said above, it can get pretty crowded with a bunch of people swimming so close to you.
I wish you all the best and cant wait to see how your training goes!! I’m looking forward to being done exams in the next few weeks and can really focus on my training! The MultiSprort Canada Triathlon Series also has great races!
-Andrea

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Thanks so much for your tips and encouragement! :) Im excited :)

Shannon April 12, 2010 at 9:53 pm

YAY!!!!! so awesome :) i was in the same boat when i wanted to do a tri… well, i ran, but didn’t swim at all! the first time i got in the pool i couldn’t swim the whole length of the pool. I’d definitely try swimming in a lake or other form of open water, the more you do it the more comfortable you’ll feel when it comes time for the event! let me know if you have any more questions :)

Christie April 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I am super excited about this announcement because I actually just decided Saturday that I want to do a tri near my home. Still trying to convince my husband — he’s afraid of lake swimming…

[email protected] April 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Ever since I started running I’ve wanted to train for a triathlon, but something keeps holding me back. I love running, I have been a swimmer all my life and I’m okay on the bike (as long as it isn’t in the gym). Like you’re husband I struggle with overly competitive sports, but more because I don’t want to lose. I also am afraid I can’t cut it, my current roommate is a serious triathlete and he trains every single day. I have never competed in a race but I just signed up for my first 10K. Once I have that under my belt maybe I’ll explore bigger and better things :)

Rika April 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm

This brought a smile to my face :) so happy for both of you’s!

Amanda April 13, 2010 at 12:35 am

That is so awesome!!! Go Ange and Eric!!!

Susan April 13, 2010 at 10:40 am

The Try a Tri distance is totally doable!!! I did a sprint tri (first and only) last summer. It was a lot of work, even though the individual distances are short. The open water swim was the worst part. My advice is to get LOTS of practice swimming in lakes, and it won’t feel like such a shock. Maybe get Eric to swim over top of you a few times, as people will actually do that during the race too :P

Diana @ frontyardfoodie April 13, 2010 at 11:08 am

I consider myself a good swimmer just because I swam competitively all throughout highschool. I got into running more after that though but now that I’m pregnant I definitely will be doing more swimming once running gets to be too much with my belly! Hopefully that day doesn’t come too soon.

Amy @ Everything is Homemade April 13, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I’m a little late and didn’t read through all the comments above, but I just wanted to say definitely plant a veggie garden if you can! It’s so rewarding to grow your own food. I started my garden two years ago and I love it! There’s nothing like walking out your back door to get stuff for dinner. It’s the best!

Katherine @ Lipgloss and Spandex April 14, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Yay for you and Eric! I’m too chicken to try a Tri. I don’t like swimming in open water, especially when I might get kicked in the face or something. And I haven’t ridden a bike since I was a kid (and I’m totally okay with that!) My friends are trying to talk me into a sprint tri though… and you can donate money to charity and start a little earlier than everyone else (read: not get kicked in the face).

Dominique April 19, 2010 at 12:13 am

It’s awesome that you and Eric have something to train together for and participate in. I think it’s great that you both have each other to support during the training for the triathlon.

And it’s at Kelso conversation area? My BF grew up in Milton (moved from Quebec) and a couple summers ago he took me there and we had a fantastic day hiking and then visiting the area he grew up in. You’re so lucky you live in the area…the scenery was gorgeous!

J @ If You Lived Here You'd Be Home Now April 19, 2010 at 7:54 pm

That is so exciting. I was you just a year ago…trying my first tri…..then….month after month I did one! Now I am addicted and am in it for season two.

Mind you- I am not the best runner, biker or swimmer- I simply do them to finish and have finished every one!

Open water swims can be scary but as I was first starting I was told always to swim buoy to buoy. It really does the trick. You just head for that one mark and you can even tap it if you need. As for the getting kicked part- just stay to the side or back for your first one at the start and that won’t be a huge problem.

Good luck- but honestly once you do one you certainly will be hooked.