Sunsets And Great Friends

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 31, 2010

Hello!

Back to last night’s recap.

I feel like I am always a day behind when I am blogging on vacation…It is hard to keep up. ;) True dedication!

IMG_9951

Guess where this dress is from?

TARGET!!! Or should I say…Tarjet…the fancy way. ;)

Someone actually told me that Target is rumoured to be opening in Canadian locations shortly…I would be so happy if this is true.

Last night was lots of fun. We went over to my best friend’s parent’s condo for cocktails and then out for dinner. I have known Allison’s parents since grade 7! They are some of the the sweetest people I have ever met and are such good friends with my family. We dearly missed Al and her hubby last night though.

IMG_3052

Their condo is to die for and has the best view…

IMG_9956

IMG_9964

We sat on the balcony to watch the sunset.

IMG_9959

It was gorgeous!

IMG_3036

Appetizers…I had lots of veggies and roasted red pepper hummus. Mmmmm. I also had two glasses of white wine.

IMG_9961

IMG_9971

Group shot on timer! ;)

IMG_3054

IMG_3023

Then we were off to an Italian restaurant called Sam-Bucco’s. I called ahead to let the chef know that I was vegan and asked if there were any vegan options. Sometimes chefs get all flustered when I ask for something vegan so I thought I would be pro—active! To my delight the chef was more than accommodating. He basically said he could make ANYTHING and not to worry! My kind of man… ;)

Cathy and I split the Chilled Asparagus (without cheese) –Mandarin oranges, poached pears, pine nuts, golden raisins, shaved grana padano cheese, vinaigrette.

I want to make this at home! Fabulous. I would never have thought to combine these foods.

IMG_9975

Red wine was enjoyed…

IMG_9976

This morning my mom and I tried to determine how much wine we had, but we couldn’t! The waiter kept topping up our glass throughout the night so it was hard to tell. I’m guessing I had another two 6oz glasses at the restaurant…but like I said, who really knows! ;)

For dinner I ended up ordering two more appetizers and had them for my main course.

Eggplant Tourine… Layered roasted eggplant, avocado, roasted red peppers and tomatoes.

This was SOOOOO good. Lots of olive oil!

IMG_9983

House Salad

Baby greens, with cucumber, grape tomatoes and marinated mushrooms…I had it without the croutons and house dressing and had oil and vinegar instead.

IMG_9979

At the end of our meal the owner came out to talk to us…which is always a nice touch. He said, ‘You must be the vegan I spoke with!’

He was super nice and we chatted away about veganism. He is actually going vegan for two months right now as part of a religious commitment and he said that it is much easier than he thought. He also said he eats all the time now. Preaching to the choir…

He told us that I was the first vegan that he has ever had in this restaurant (to his knowledge)- and he said there was one vegetarian that he knew of. I guess it is not a popular area for vegetarians or vegans!!

We had a ball! Cathy and my mom are new BFF’s! Like Allison and I, my mom and Cathy are so much alike.

IMG_9986

Early this morning we got up, I took a rest day off exercise, and Eric and I helped my mom clean the condo before we left. We had to be out by 10am. We did a bunch of laundry, vacuumed, cleaned the counters, and took out all the garbage, etc. After saying our tearful goodbyes Eric and I were off to Sanibel Island for our LAST NIGHT of vacation. We keep saying what a wonderful vacation this has been because we don’t have the desire to go home yet. Usually we always feel ready to leave at the end, but we both wish we were staying another few days. It has been a great run though!

Sanibel Island is fabulous and we had lots of fun exploring. Our day involved beaches and dolphins…recap coming soon!

IMG_0105 (2)

Tomorrow we are up early for a run + bike tour of the island, checking out of our hotel, and then killing some time before our 8pm flight home. The good news is that the weather is going to be fabulous in Toronto when we return- 25C and sun!

Today’s question- Are you a big beach person? Are you the type of person who could stay at the beach all day long when on vacation or do you tend to stay away from it and prefer other things?

Eric and I are so not beach people- don’t get me wrong we LOVE the beach and love the water, swimming, sand, salty air, etc…but we can’t be in the sun for long. With our pale skin the sun really drains us after a couple hours. We also go stir crazy and have to be moving around a lot. I can ‘lay out’ at the beach for 30 mins. max before I get bored and have to swim or go somewhere! :) I can never sit still…

Page 2 of 2«12
Alina April 1, 2010 at 6:20 am

Your mom is gorgeous and you look so much like her!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind April 1, 2010 at 6:28 am

Oh, I’m a beach person, definitely. Don’t get me wrong, I have a blast actually DOING things on vacation, too, but there’s just something about a beach and the ocean…one of my favorite places in the world. :)

Anne P April 1, 2010 at 6:53 am

I love the beach, but I’m like you – gotta be up and doing things! A few minutes of laying out and I’m bored and bright red, haha.

M i s s (@mediterraneanmiss) April 1, 2010 at 6:54 am

Delicious eats Ange – love the idea of combining Asparagus with something flavorful and fruity; definitely wouldn’t have thought of that one!

Sexy apartment too!! I love the way she decorated it, and the view is to die for.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your vacation – the weather here in Toronto is gorgeous and waiting for you to get here to get even warmer!

Christina April 1, 2010 at 6:57 am

I just bought that same dress yesterday! I went to target, tried a million things on and that was the only thing I came home with. I tried it on for my mom and she said it was just “ok”…but I like it and considering all these positive comments on it, I’m keeping it! lol

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 1, 2010 at 7:13 am

Sigh…I LOVE the beach :-) I would make every vacation a beach vacation if I could!

That dinner look great– I love it when chefs are so nice and accomodating like that!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 1, 2010 at 7:13 am

You look so pretty in that dress! Target is amazing!!

I used to be such a beach person- after all, I grew up next to the beach! But I am not anymore! I get restless and have to move, like you! I love walks on the beach, and occasional trips to read a book and relax. But not for too long! I need to be active =D

xo
K

Kate April 1, 2010 at 7:21 am

I’m the same way as you and Eric!! I absolutely love the beach but with pale skin I can’t stay out long and apply suntan lotion every hour that I am out. I hate laying out, but love sitting on a beach chair and reading a book (underneath an umbrella). But I usually end up kicking the soccer ball or going swimming most of the day. :)

Britt @ Runnerbelle April 1, 2010 at 7:30 am

LOVE the beach! But I need a beach umbrella to keep the sun off of me. I’ve already had one basal cell spot removed so I need to be careful in the sun. When I am sitting I am usually reading and relaxing, but I definitely have to get up and go in the water or go for a walk at some point.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 1, 2010 at 7:41 am

If you like me, you’re going to need to find a lock for your wallet if a Target opens in Canada ;)

Lynda April 1, 2010 at 8:02 am

I love the beach too, but with my pale skin I seek an umbrella. To sit at the beach,read and watch people is like the perfect day for me. I also love to walk along the edge of the beach, we just came back for Punta Cana and they have the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.

I love the color of your dress, it looks lovely. Safe travels home ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 1, 2010 at 8:09 am

I love reading your vacation posts, Angela! Very well-written.
That was so sweet of you to visit your BFF’s parents! Sounds like a fabulous time – especially with all that wine;)
Can’t wait to hear the Sanibel Recap. My parents were there last month!

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 1, 2010 at 8:10 am

Oh, and I am DEFINITELY a beach person. But, like you, I have very fair skin so I have to be careful. And I’d say the majority of my time at the beach is IN the water. I’m not good at just laying out for a long time. I have to be in the water, building sand castles, playing volleyball etc.

'Dee April 1, 2010 at 9:48 am

Yep! This is me, too. Add waterproof spf 50+, a hat, and a big umbrella so I can get out of the sun when I want and I could stay all day.

Kris April 1, 2010 at 8:14 am

Obviously, we love the beach since we live here in SW FL. But, we’re not on the beach all day. We read, get in the water, walk; we don’t stay for more than 2-1/2 hrs. I stay under the shade too since working for a derm and seeing LOTS of skin cancer will kill any urge to sunbathe/tan. But all our vacations are based on beach and we do a lot of snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Amanda April 1, 2010 at 8:16 am

I love the beach! It’s like heaven to me. I want to move to Florida, somewhere on the Gulf Coast, so I can go to the beach whenever I want..

Erin April 1, 2010 at 8:21 am

Such a cute picture at the beach!

Aoife - Adventures in Veg April 1, 2010 at 8:27 am

Looks like you’re having a fantastic time, wow! :) You’re so dedicated to keep blogging while on holidays, it really is appreciated by all your readers.
I have pale skin too so I know what you mean about being ‘stir crazy’ on the beach! 15 mins in and I want to get back in the shade!
Enjoy the last day of your holidays :)

[email protected] April 1, 2010 at 8:32 am

Your trip just sounds absolutely amazing!!!

I am definitely a big beach person….I love being at the beach b/c its peaceful, and humbling to be surrounded by such a grand thing!

Kelly April 1, 2010 at 8:38 am

I could sit on the beach all day every day and never get tired of it. We typically take one beach vacation every summer for a week, and i’ll stay out from 10 am to 5 pm.

MB April 1, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’m not a fan of the beach. I love taking pictures of it, walking along the shore, swimming, playing games, etc. but I cannot just sit in the sun for hours. My friends are trying to convince me to join them in FLA in a couple of weeks but they want to spend all day/every day at the beach and my pasty white skin cannot handle that kind of exposure. Give me the mountains over the beach anyday.

Enjoy your last day of vacation and have a safe trip back home.

Lauren April 1, 2010 at 9:04 am

Love the Target dress, and it sounds like you were treated like a total celebrity in that restaurant. :) I love the relaxing atmosphere of the beach, but it gets old pretty quickly for me. I don’t like to let my skin roast, even if it is olive and never burns. I’d like a life without skin cancer, please!

Dawn April 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

Great photos, now I’m wishing for a tropical holiday! I love Sanibel Island, we have had two holidays there. We’ve rented a house in Cape Coral for the month of July, so I’m totally going to check out that food market, is it in Fort Myers? Glad you’re enjoying your holiday!

Laura Georgina April 1, 2010 at 9:25 am

I love that you are making the most of every Tar-jet opportunity–that dress is hotness!

I used to be very anti-beach, but had to change my mind when I moved to Trinidad! Now I love it. If I go with a big group of friends, I could stay there all day (I’m lucky that, with sunscreen, I don’t ever burn). When it’s me and the husband, though, we usually spend two or three hours there and eat, chat, read, and sleep. And I could do that kind of beach visit every single day.

skinnyrunner April 1, 2010 at 10:00 am

your pictures are gorgeous!
im a total beach person. bring on the sun!

Midgetkeeper April 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

Your trip looks like such a blast.

I love the beach but I can’t lay out for too long either, I get stir crazy. I prefer to swim, or go for a walk on it.

Christine (The Raw Project) April 1, 2010 at 11:21 am

Amazing pics, love the dress! You’re making me want to plan a Key West trip soon!

Melissa April 1, 2010 at 11:27 am

That dress is gorgeous! And target coming to Canada? no way! I’m in BC and I haven’t heard anything so maybe its only out east:( The condo is beyond words..wow! And what a gorgeous view with the sunset and all! I’m originally from the okanagan valley and I have two lakes in my hometown so I grew up on the beach! I love it! But now I can’t stay out there too long unless I have something to do like read or play football in the water because I get bored..lol! PS love the pict of you two on the beach!

Bethany (Blessed and Inspired) April 1, 2010 at 12:25 pm

What a lovely vacation! xo

Mo April 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I have always been a beach person but spent WAY too much time in the sun and was obsessed with having a tan. This lasted until well after college and am now paying the price. I still live at the beach, but am now on the West coast (in Calif) and this area is cold. So my beach days are spent bundled up looking for beach glass.

Your glow has turned into pure radiance on your vacation!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit April 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

Isn’t Target the best!! Oh and I loooove dried mango slices. Trader Joe’s has a good spicy dried mango.