Run FREE!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 30, 2010

Just the average wildlife I see when I go on runs around here!!!

IMG_9801 (2s)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it’s Edward Scissor Hands!

IMG_9799 s(2)

Just filing her nails…!?! :mrgreen:

IMG_9798

I asked myself, is it possible to be scared of things that are slower than you? Why yes, yes it is.

Let’s rewind a bit!

Breakfast yesterday morning was delicious…

A Green Monster with 1/2 banana, 1 cup Almond milk, 1 scoop Amazing Grass Choco powder, ice, spinach…

IMG_3004

and some organic raisin bran with almond milk

IMG_3005

Then we were off for a day of shopping at Super Target and the Miramar Outlets in Naples. I got some awesome deals this time!!!

Running gloves, a Nike running workout tank, bright pink sports bra (from Target):

IMG_3006

Target has the cutest workout bras in so many colours!

I also finally found a 1.5 Litre Camelbak!!! I can’t wait to try it out. Also got a floral placemat from Target:

IMG_3007

A light orange tee and some dish cloths. Random I know! ;)

IMG_3008

Eric bought 2 more bags of socks…LOL…What is with him and socks? I think he is 80…

Lunch was a veggie sub from subway and an apple from home.

We got home at 5pm and Eric and I had a snack of Mary’s Crackers and hummus and then we headed out for a run + bike in the lovely sunshine!

I was really excited, albeit a bit scared, to try out my new running sneaks!

IMG_9787

Good news:

1) No blister problems at ALL. :mrgreen:

2) I was FAST! I killed my previous time for this 4 mile route by over 5 minutes! These sneakers are so much lighter than my previous Brooks Ariel’s. The old Brooks Ariel’s I was using are 12.3 oz while my new Brooks Adrenaline are just 9.2 oz. I know it doesn’t seem like a lot, but my feet felt 5 pounds lighter! I felt FREE as a bird. With the new sneakers combined with no knee sleeves I am feeling amazing on my runs lately.

Possibly bad news:

1) The sneakers seem to put a lot of pressure on the balls of my feet. I hope that this will go away after a few uses.  I wasn’t wearing my orthotics so I am going to try them tomorrow with them to see if that makes the difference.

After the run I quickly got ready for dinner as my parents were taking us out to California Pizza Kitchen. I was in a pizza mood and was hoping a vegan version of their pizza would live up to my expectations…

Eric pretended to drop me after this picture! He likes scaring me. ;)

IMG_9808

My mom and I split the chunky white corn guacamole and chips…

IMG_9811

I have to recreate this at home! Avocados, white corn, black beans, peppers…not sure what else!

IMG_9812

Eric got the garlic cheese bread for an appetizer:

IMG_9814IMG_9813

I ordered the Vegetarian Eggplant pizza (without mozzarella) and then I customized it with a thin crust and I added tomatoes and red peppers to bulk it up a bit more. To my delight, this was one of the best vegan pizzas I have ever had. It was LOADED with amazing veggies!

IMG_9821

OMG. Off the hook.

IMG_9816

IMG_9818

IMG_9823

I must say, kudos to CPK because after eating their twice now, I am super impressed. Everyone else loved their meals too.

OSGMOM got shrimp tomato spagettini:

IMG_9819IMG_9820

I wish I could say that I saved some for tomorrow, but I ate every LAST BITE. It was so good I could not stop eating.

IMG_9828

Now I am off to test out my new Camelbak! I can’t get over how light it is and it doesn’t seem to move much. It will be nice to finally have water to drink when I run. I am slightly concerned that I am going to have chafing from the strap around my arms, but hopefully not!

IMG_9833

Today’s question: Do you ever see wildlife when you workout outdoors? What do you see?

Off I go!

Have a glowing day :)

Page 3 of 3«123
Amanda March 30, 2010 at 2:04 pm

ever since I moved to South Jersey, I’ve been seeing giant flocks of turkeys? they’re massive and are always doing something weird, like sitting around in the middle of a busy road. i didn’t know there were so many wild anything in NJ!

erica March 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm

omg! the edward scissorhands turtle!!! is that normal?!?! i’d be scared too! hahaha. i think i’ll try something new next time i go to cpk! i love that place!

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm

angela, i have the same brooks (LOVE them!) and i had the EXACT same problem when i first started using them. im not sure that you need your orthotics because, within a week, the pressure on the balls of my feet completely went away. i think its just a matter of breaking them in!

Christina March 30, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I see squirrels and deer a lot when I run. That is one crazy turtle – I never knew they had claws!

I love that water bottle backpack! Can’t wait to see how you like it.

kate March 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm

What a funny turtle! I would of been kinda scared with those talons too! Love your Target finds & the veggies on that pizza look amazing.

Julie March 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

i just bought that same sports bra in purple and that camelbak! I used it on my long run.. it is FANTASTIC

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 30, 2010 at 3:55 pm

WOW What a day! That pizza looks FANTASTIC!!

Carolyn March 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm

long front claws on a mature turtle… equal a male… and yes it is discribed as Edward Scissorhands!! ;-)

Jennifer March 30, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I typically see squirrels and the occasional road kill (Yuck!), but the best was when I was running in Jamaica and a weasle ran across my path!!! I couldn’t believe it!

Michelle March 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Hi Ange! This is the cutest post ever!! Glad to hear that your new shoes are so rocking. 5 minutes off your time is AWESOME and to think I was jumping for joy this weekend when my new socks shaves 30 seconds off my time. muahhahaha Silly me huh?

That pizza looks incredible!! Sometimes the trick really is knowing how to order at a restaurant, and you my dear, certainly have that down!!!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble March 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I was running one stormy afternoon and saw this poor lost dog in the rain… then it turned and looked at me… it was a COYOTE!! I was glad he was by himself and not with a pack, and he seemed to be more scared of me and quickly ran off. It was quite a surprise running into him on the trail!

I love California Pizza Kitchen! The roasted veggie pizza is my favorite too, but with goat cheese! I had a roommate that use to work at CPK and she would always bring home food. It was great!

Leah March 30, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Thats crazy you saw a turtle!! Id be totally scared of it!
I never thought to look at Target for running stuff. I always go to Superstore, but for another excuse to hit up Target Im in!

Jolene March 30, 2010 at 5:53 pm

The only wildlife I see are squirrels, bunnies, and dogs being walked by their owners :-)

Becky March 30, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I swear by my Brooks Adrenaline 10s…gotta pick up another pair soon! I don’t see lots of wildlife on my runs, but the barking dogs seem pretty wild to me. They make me run fast because I always feel like they’re about to jump their fences.

Kiersten March 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm

What a cute turtle! I have seen more wildlife lately since I moved to my new apartment. My apartment faces the edge of a wooded area and there are lots of critters hiding in there. We have tons of birds, feral cats, deer, and possums. I have also encountered small frogs, lizards, and a snake (once) when I was hiking with my boyfriend.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ March 30, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Wow you are finding all kinds of deals. Your luggage is going to be stuffed.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Haha, that turtle’s got some NAILS! In Charleston, I sometimes see the neighborhood alligator when I’m on a run. Freaks me out! I’ll get the gators are worse in FL too….

Cole March 30, 2010 at 7:31 pm

That is an adorable turtle! Sometimes I see a heron or some turtles basking on a log in the river…it always makes me super excited.

Jennifer March 30, 2010 at 7:33 pm

How yummy did your pizza look – it’s 10:30am here in Australia and I’m craving pizza now thank Angela :) hehehe.

I see birds mostly on my runs, I’ve seen a Kangaroo or two when I go visit my mum. On a night run I have to keep a look out for bats – yes Bats! I hate them lol

Patti March 30, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I see Canada Geese when I’m doing my walk/run. I get really scared when they hog the pathway at the park :( I would have been scared of that Edward Scissorhands turtle too!!

maria March 30, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I LOVE TURTLES! So cute! Thanks for the pics. :)

And I am super jealous of all your new running equipment and gear. I want to get a camelback eventually, but I don’t know if I would use it enough to warrant buying one.

Maria Schade March 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I see brown tree snakes (an invasive species here), frogs, herons and sometimes boonie dogs (wild, inbred, strange looking). We also get dive bombed by birds here during mating season, but I have no idea what they are called.
I miss Target! We don’t have one here.

'Dee March 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I want to hear the Camelbak review!! I have been so tempted as I *gasp* start to try for longer mileage.

As for wildlife, here are some of the usual suspects I’ll see on a trail run (and sometimes on a suburbian pavement run!)
* hawks
* rabbits
* geese
* ducks
* deer
* coyotes (!)
* turtles
* racoons

Jen March 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I live in Australia – so i have seen kangaroos, wallabies, native birds, the occassional echinda or wombat as well as lots of little bush bunny rabbits.

pam landy March 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I was in Phoenix for the weekend and saw a lot of lizards on my run today and sometimes scorpions because my parents’ house is at the bottom of Camelback mountain. Thankfully, just lizards today :) In San Diego I usually see this guy on his bike who lets his cat ride on his shoulders, it’s crazy!

Jenn March 31, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I’m usually just a lurker, but had to comment because I had an amazing pizza the other day in Toronto that looked just like the one you had at CPR. It’s called Politica, and is on Strachan between King W and Queen W. I had the Mercatto pizza with no cheese. Best. ever. The crust was amazing, as were the toppings. Highly recommend it next time you’re downtown! The menu is on Dine TO. :)

Macey March 31, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I have the exact same bright pink sports bra from Target! I love it :) Just FYI though… if you sweat it leaves your boobies bright pink too! Even after a few washings! LOL.

stina March 31, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I definitely have those same dish towels.

Jenn March 31, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Hi,
I am glad to hear you loved your whole pizza!
I haven’t had to deal with orthotics in my runners, but if you need them, you better use them!
I use to run with the Ariel’s, totally hear you on the weight of the shoe. When I switched over to the Mizuno Wave Inspire, my feet felt tonnes lighter. Only problem with them was I could feel the end of the wave plate under the ball of my foot and my toes would go numb.
So I switched over to the NB w850’s, loved them so much I bought two pairs while HM training. Ran out of them about 200 km ago, but only replaced them last week with the Sauconey Hurricanes. Oh my, my feet are in heaven.
Careful with the wildlife! Have fun!!

Tory April 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Okay, I found your blog tonight and have been browsing it for 2 hours (crazy, I know!). I love it. Thank you for all the inspiration and tips to get my body in shape and feel better..

Here are just some things on why I had to comment on this post:

#1. I have those same running gloves! I love them, and work in keeping my hands warm in the cold Alaska running days in the wilderness :)

#2. I see all sorts of animals in the wild. Moose, fox, black bear, lynx, rabbits-My husband actually runs with a gun while we are on trails!