Valentine’s Day: Love it or Hate it?

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 8, 2010

Big salads rule!

IMG_0624

I love making salads in my huge Tupperware container. :)

IMG_0618

The Big Salad:

• 1 heart organic romaine
  • 1 cup chickpea stir fry (with zucchini, carrots, celery, sesame seeds)
  • Vitality Sprouts (see below)
  • 4-5 T salsa
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • EVOO + Red wine vinegar (dressing)
  • Ground black pepper
  • handful sunflower seeds

IMG_0625

Nothing is better than a big salad!

IMG_0626

The Vitality Sprouts from Whole Foods:

IMG_0621

It dawned on me after I bought these that I could probably MAKE sprouts on my own…fairly easily? Anyone know how? :) What a fun little science experiment that would be.

Dessert: Organic dark chocolate chips x 2…or 3…

IMG_0424

I am obsessed with chocolate lately. And Adore bars. Lock me up and throw away the key!

Valentine’s Day: Who Is It For?

Eric and I got into a discussion on Sunday about Valentine’s Day.

It is no secret that…

1) I love Valentine’s Day. I’m a huge romantic and I start thinking about it in early January!

2) Eric does not like Valentine’s Day and thinks it is a commercial holiday (I pout my lip when he says this!).

I agree about it being a commercial holiday, however I still love the fact that it is a day to devote entirely to your loved one. So many holidays are commercial now, but that doesn’t mean I can’t look forward to it anyways.

When I was single I would use the day as an excuse to spoil myself rotten. One single year I sent myself flowers and I smiled all week. It is all in the perspective.

Eric claims that Valentine’s Day is for women. In other words, men just kind of go along with the motions of the gifts, roses, etc., but they don’t really anticipate it as much as women do. Eric’s male coworkers are his reference group for his scientific survey. ;)

While he does enjoy Valentine’s Day, he thinks that we could celebrate our love on any day we wanted to. He is a person who likes to do things on his own terms and not feel outside pressure to do something. One rule we have is that I told him not to buy me flowers on V-Day. He did a couple times and I found out the price and we agreed to buy them when they were 1/4 the price (and in good shape!).

So the question remains…Is Valentine’s Day for women, men (let’s be real, they get something out of it too!), or both? How do you feel about it? If you are attached, how does your partner feel about it (honestly)?

Angela_Signature

I have found men who didn’t know how to kiss.
I’ve always found time to teach them.
~ by Mae West ~

Page 3 of 3«123
Maureen February 9, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I have a slightly tainted view on Valentines day. My first as a married woman he forgot, my last as a married woman he asked for a divorce, although I am sure his girlfriend thought that it was romantic :-). I was dating someone for a while and he did not do Valentines day so that was a bust. Now I am on my own and do believe except for the little cinnamon hearts it is just another day. :-)

Jenna Z February 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Sprouting your own sprouts is super-simple. I have a three-tray sprouter but as others have said a glass jar works just as well. I find seeds to sprout in bulk at our local health food store (it’s near the grains and seeds in bins).

Katie February 9, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I have to go with your husband on this one. I’d rather show (and be shown) love every day in little ways that don’t cost a dime.

Angela February 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I love valentines day! The husband and I tend to keep it low key, I make dinnner and dessert and we watch a movie and spend the day together. I think it’s nice to have a day dedicated to love, I think it makes you stop and think about how much you love the person you are with.

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) February 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Dan asked me how I feel about Valentine’s Day last night, and I have to say that I love it! A holiday that revolves around love, chocolate, and the color pink? Sounds good to me! :)

Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me February 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm

It’s an excuse to put off other things and just enjoy each other’s company haha.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing February 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

As much as I hate to say it, i think that V-Day is mostly for women. But not completely. I DO think you should enjoy each other’s company and she your bf/gf/wife/husband that you love them every day but it’s nice to have one day set aside specifically for that.
I also have to admit that i’m MUCH more of a fan of it when I’m not single. Meh. This is the first V-Day in 5-6 years that I’m single. I’m ok with that but it gives you a new perspective.

Jill February 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I hate Valentine’s day. Too many expectations and too many disappointments. Why save up loving gestures for one day? My husband and I have never celebrated Valentine’s day and instead we give little surprises to each other throughout the year. However, one holiday we do celebrate is Chocolate day (a.k.a. Feb 15) when all the Valentine’s day chocolates go on sale! Yum!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) February 9, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I think valentines day can be for both, I mean it’s a day to celebrate love, whether it be your family, friends or significant other! I’m not a HUGE fan because I do think it is a little commercial, but it’s nice to spend a day devoted to love with your loves =D

xo
K

[email protected] February 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I definitely think it is mostly a woman’s holiday!

My husband goes along with it “because he has to” and could not care less about it….although he feels that way about all holidays and I look at all holidays as an excuse to have fun, give gifts, and celebrate something!

Glad to see I am not the only person who fills a plastic storage container with salad! It always feels so wrong when I do it….but otherwise my big ole salads fall off the plate!

Sophia Pflieger February 9, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I love everything about Valentines day, but I didn’t when I was single. I love to make my boyfriend feel special, and so super corny, ridiculously romantic stuff!

P.S. You are such an inspiration to live a healthy lifestyle!
Your blog is wonderful and your Glo Bars look awesome.
I am also a fellow Canadian!

Sophia,

Stacy Cina February 9, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I used to poo poo Valentine’s Day as I’ve been single on the holiday most of my life. But my mom and sister started this thing where we exchange cards, and my mom ALWAYS get us gifts. Its so cute! And really the story of St. Valentine is about spreading love, not just ‘Romantic Love’. The whole romantic thing is the commerical part of it. I like to appreciate it for what it is. Lots of pretty pink and red items, chocolates etc. And knowing that spring is coming :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love Valentines Day because it’s an awesome time to celebrate my love for the hubby. I don’t care what we do and I certainly don’t want chocolates just so long as we’re together:)

Sprouts are super easy to sprout. hehe

Just get a jar, add seeds (you can find them at the grocery store) fill the jar with water, drain the water, let it sit over night. Fill it with water again, drain it, let it sit over night. And before you know it you’ll have a jar full of sprouts!

jodes February 9, 2010 at 2:31 pm

sprouts are super easy to make, you just get the seeds put them in a big jar with a piece of cloth that water will strain through ie;cheese cloth,place seeds in jar, tie the cloth around the lid of the jar with a elastic band, rinse seeds 3 times in jar then turn upside down for a day, repeat for 3 days and tada! you will have sprouts!

Jessica February 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I celebrate everything!! If it’s Chinese New Year, I download traditional music to my computer, order take-out and celebrate. Last year for Cinco de Mayo, I cooked Mexican food, hung decorations from the ceiling and rented “The Three Amigos,” to watch with my honey. Basically if it’s a day, I want to celebrate it and my man loves not knowing when he’s going to come home and find out that we’re joining the Dutch or the French or Italians in celebrating something. If it makes you happy to plan a fun Valentine’s Day, then I say do it.

There is a website for what different days are for. Apparently today is “Toothache Day” so I guess I’ll be buying new toothbrushes after work. Here’s the link if you want to see what the rest of February has in store.

Kelly February 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I love Valentine’s Day. My fiance and I dont’ make a big deal of it, but I still think it’s fun to send my friends valentines and go out to dinner with my fiance etc. I know love COULD be celebrated every day, but thats like saying we should do away with mother’s day cuz moms should be celebrated every day. SHOULD be, but aren’t- so lets have a day for it!

Hannah February 9, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I have always liked the idea of valentines day because I’m such a sucker for any thing romantic! I don’t think my boyfriend hates valentines day, but I don’t think he loves it either. I always make sure to do something special for him so he always gets something out of it! But I think he secretly gets into all that gushy romantic stuff because he ends up planning surprises for me :)

Leah February 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I make salads in my big tupperware container too! Theyre SO good!

I think my boyfriend is more excited about Valentines Day that I am. Dont get me wrong, I love Valenties day, but I dont think its necessary to go out and have a big fancy dinner or anything. He’s all into that, he’s got dinner booked at our favorite restaurant (which I AM excited for) and I had to talk him out of booking a hotel because its a waste of money.
He’s kind of the girl in our relationship though so maybe thats why? lol

Sara February 9, 2010 at 3:26 pm

My husband is totally against Hallmark manufactured holidays, which is where he puts Valentine’s Day. So when we got married on February 10th (being the romantic that he is) he told me that we could celebrate one or the other…our anniversary or Valentine’s Day. I always choose our anniversary :)

But seriously if I really cared about Valentine’s Day we would celebrate it — he’s kind of a push over ;)

Kris February 9, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Pete is not a fan of V-Day either :(

I love it….but I hate getting flower’s on V-Day. $100 for roses is crazy and I would rather put that money toward a nice dinner or something special :)

megan February 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet or not, but growing sprouts is actually very easy to do yourself. You can go to sites like www.sproutpeople.com and buy starter kits. Sprouts will start growing within a week!

Michal February 9, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I love valentines day so much! I love hearts, and roses and chocolate yum!

Lauren February 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I love any and every holiday…that’s just me! :) Waddup ‘Family Day’! haha

Miriam February 9, 2010 at 4:46 pm

All my singles girlfriends actually hates valentine day, they actually organise a dinner on saturday inviting ONLY the singles ladies (or the ones who are alone anyway). For my part, I’ve always hated valentine day, single or not. Single I feel bad because I am single and with a boyfriend I feel bad for everybody who is alone. I wish this holiday could symbolise LOVE with cap letters! Means love in general, not only romanticaly but love including family, friends and well, eveybody! So nobody could be left behind! :)

Jaime February 9, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I think this might be the first V-Day that FH has actually been home since we’ve been together. In the past he’s kind of rolled his eyes, but we have gone for a couple of nice dinners. Pretty sure no cards or flowers though! (I too despise getting overpriced flowers…I always tell him to use the money for something more useful and to just surprise me with flowers some other time of the year!).

This year he is home but it hasn’t even been mentioned. I’m trying to decide whether I should bring it up or just wait and see if he does anything. hehe. That seems a bit passive though!

Elizabeth February 9, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I absolutely LOVE Valentine’s Day, and I think I have my parents to thank for that. Every year growing up, my brothers, sister and I would find a special Valentine and some goodies at our place at the breakfast table. It was a day for everyone who loved anyone, not just for those “in” love.

(Oh gosh, I’m rambling)… it wasn’t until I was 17 and studying as an exchange student in Italy that I realized not everyone celebrated with the same sort of universality. I brought Valentine’s Day gifts for my host family, which included two men in their twenties. They accepted my gifts awkwardly, and then one blurted out “Valentine’s Day is for lovvvvers.”

I could have died. Hahaha. :)

Fattie Fatterton February 9, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Future Hubby is much more of a romantic than I am. He wanted to buy me a diamond bracelet for Valentine’s Day, but I said no – for one thing, I am really hard on any jewelry that is on my hands or wrists just in my daily life. For another, my wrists are huge and no matter what he bought, he would have to have some sort of adjustment made. I proffered the idea of a diamond necklace, but then we decided on a romantic getaway instead. Those are my favorite – time with my honey, away from all of the stress. :D

Sarah February 9, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I love Valentine’s Day. I think it’s overmarketed, cliched, and ALWAYS a let down some how, but I just love it all the same. My fiance is one of those, “I love if you love it” types when it comes to holidays, so he does what he can, but he’s never been incredibly romantic about this particular holiday. That’s why, this year, instead of getting all crazy, I’m focusing instead on spending time together and appreciating the ways he expresses his love on the other 364 days of the year. I will try my best not to be mean if my bathtub isn’t filled with rose petals, etc. ,etc :)

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) February 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I like Valentine’s day! :) It def is a matter of perspective.. this is the first year I’m attached/have a valentine for real for the holiday, so I’m extra excited!

Cassie February 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm

i really dont like the commercial aspect of v-day, and neither does the fiance. we never do gifts, etc. we were chatting about it yesterday though, and it always seems that we do something fun on v-day anyway! what a coincidence. the first few years we always went to an sju bball game (we were usually the only ones there… i guess most girls dont want to sit in a smelly gym on v-day!) one year we went to see the daily show with jon stewart, and this year we’ll be headed to NYC to watch a NY Rangers game – his fave :) it was a christmas present though, so that doesn’t even count as v-day hehe. either way its a good excuse to do something fun – coincidence or not!

GIGI February 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Ha! I think I have been single every single valentine’s day in my entire life… 22 years… This obviously means I have never had a relationship for more than a year, but I’m OK with that – I am just too busy and have other goals at the moment, but it will happen some day!

Oh but last Valentine’s Day I saw the movie “He’s just not that into you” and well… my name happens to be GiGi, so Gennifer Goodwin really gave ALL GiGi’s a bad reputation of being whiney, needy, etc… and I’m NOT!!! ha ah!!! Made me slightly depressed on that day last year… maybe cause I went a lone too?! ha ha ha!

Jolene February 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm

My husband and I think exactly like you and Eric do … my hubby thinks that it is a commercial holiday that could be celebrated any day, and refuses to go to dinner on the actual “Valentine’s Day.” I, on the other hand, think it’s fun!

ilham February 9, 2010 at 10:08 pm

dear angela, u can make ur own sprout. Here is a website of a talented woman who cooks vegetarian and her food is sooo tasty.. the website is: www.manjulaskitchen.com . She made a salad with the sprouts and showed how to make ur own.. she has a youtube channel as well.
Take care.
Love.

Jen February 10, 2010 at 12:25 am

I like Valentine’s Day and so does my boyfriend. He got quite upset when I told him I would have to spend most of it this year holding rehearsals.
Instead of buying a bunch of flowers we buy a pot plant so it can go in the garden (which we are currently working on) and last much longer.

Brittany February 10, 2010 at 9:54 am

I love Valentine’s Day. I do agree that it’s a bit more for women than men, but I always get Isaac a present too. He’s got a hard task to make it extra special because it’s also my birthday. That’s probably one of the reasons I love it so much!

Anais February 10, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I love Valentine’s Day :) This year I’m actually single for the first time in a looong time but I’m still excited! This year I’m celebrating the love I have for my friends and it’s just as fun!

Kristilyn (My 29th Year) February 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm

While I always tell my husband that we should do something on Valentine’s Day, we both think that it’s a commercial holiday. I mean, why should we devote ONE DAY to doting on our loved ones? Why can’t we do that any time throughout the year?

It’s the same thing as Christmas. I love the atmosphere – the snow falling, the carols, the hot chocolate or hot cider, being with loved ones by the warmth of the fire – and don’t like how it’s turned into a commercial holiday where there is nary a mention of Jesus (the whole point of Christmas) and all people are worried about is presents.

That being said, this year we plan to go to a movie on Saturday – NOT V-day – and just spend the weekend as we usually do … having fun and spoiling our dogs. LOL!

OK – I’ll get off my horse now!

K

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen February 14, 2010 at 11:03 am

Sprouting is awesomely fun, super easy and mighty cost effective. I have a video here: http://meghantelpnerblog.com/2009/09/24/sprout-sprout-let-it-all-out/