Carrot Chia Spelt Muffins

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 30, 2010

IMG_0145

It was so beautiful outside last night!

The sky was so clear, but it was –23C last night!

Eric and I sat by the fire all night and watched some shows.

IMG_8300

Today is a Very Important Day!

I am taking a day off work today, which has not happened since Dec 28th 2009!!!!! The past week and a half was especially crazy as I made and shipped out over 1600 Glo Bars.

I was up at 6:45am this morning because I was so excited and couldn’t sleep! :mrgreen:

So far my day off has included a wonderful fresh juice and Japanese Sencha Green Tea.

IMG_9455

This was followed by another killer Booty Camp Fitness workout!

Today I did the Phase 2 Intermediate session which was 43 minutes long. I am just loving these workout DVDs so much. The girls are so down to earth and do not intimidate me in the way many fitness instructors do. They are goofy and just plain old fun to watch!

Here I am with the No Meat Athlete Tee that Matt sent me! Thanks Matt!

IMG_8316

I had some carrot juice pulp to use up so I decided to whip up a new muffin recipe.

[print_this]

Recipe: Carrot Chia Spelt Muffins

By: Angela Liddon

Prep Time:
15 min
Cook Time:
25 min
Total Time:
40 min
Yield:
9 big or 12 small muffins

Ingredients

• Dry:
  • 2 cups spelt flour (See note below)
  • 3 T sugar (I used sucanat, but regular works)
  • 1.5 t pumpkin spice (or mix of 1 t cinnamon and 1/4 t. each of nutmeg and ginger)
  • 1/4 t sea salt
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 2 T cacao nibs for crunch and nutrition
  • 3 T raisins
  • Wet:
  • 2 T chia seeds (or 2 T ground flax)
  • 1/2 c + 2 T non-dairy milk
  • 1 cup shredded carrot (I used 1/2 cup juice pulp + 1/2 cup shredded carrot)
  • 1.5 t vanilla
  • 1/4 c maple syrup
  • 1 cup sweetened applesauce (or 1 cup mashed banana will work)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
  3. Mix wet ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and add wet to dry, mixing until combined.
  4. Spoon into greased muffin tin.
  5. Cook for 25 – 27 min.
Note: You can use other types of flour, but you will likely need to take out the extra 2 T of milk.

[/print_this]

Don’t forget all of my recipes are newly updated on my recipe page!

IMG_0167

chia seeds and Navitas Naturals Cacao Nibs:

IMG_0152

Into the oven they go…

IMG_0153

They rose so well!

IMG_0159

One of our favourite things to do on the weekend is look through the flyers! Yes, we are an 80 year old married couple. :mrgreen:

IMG_0148

What are your weekend rituals that you love to do?

The rest of the day looks like this:

• Epsom Salt bath (my bootay is killing me!)
  • Yoga
  • Plan Florida Trip with Eric
  • Indigo book store
  • Lululemon
  • Raw Aura restaurant
  • Movie- we planned on Avatar in Imax but it’s sold out again, so we might see another one- suggestions??

Have a great day!

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Gracie @ Girl Meets Health January 30, 2010 at 5:09 pm

My Saturday rituals usually include: cooking with my parents, visiting the health food store, and catching up on my favorite DVR’d tv shows! All of which I did today, haha =)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 30, 2010 at 5:31 pm

It sounds like you have a wonderful day planned!! I loved Avatar!! “Up in the Air” is really good, and “Blindside” is supposed to be awesome.

Audrey January 30, 2010 at 6:23 pm

The moon was so beautiful last night! I thought the same thing when I looked out my window. It was so bright out!

Enjoy your day of. Yeesh! 1600 Glo bars…you deserve it, girl!

I love how fluffy and high your muffins are. The sound delish!

I thought The Blindside was a really good movie. It’s not really your typical sports flick. I think you would really like it.

Katie January 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm

All your muffin recipes look so good!

Jenn @ Livewellfit January 30, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Enjoy that day off Angela!!! So well deserved. :)

My favorite rituals include staying in my pj’s until noon, eating breakfast in bed or venturing out to our fav brunch place.

Reb January 30, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Dude, see Avatar in 2-d! Less of a headache.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 30, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Oh my gosh that night time picture is awesome. Love it.
Those muffins sound ridiculously good. I make carrot juice all the time, so the next time I make it (tomorrow?!) I’ll def save it for some muffins :)

Wow you work SO hard, Angela. You totally deserve the day off. Get in some rest, too ;)

[email protected] January 30, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I will be trying those muffins starting tomorrow! They look so irresistible in those pictures! One the weekends I LOVE to curl up and read, maybe go out to a restaurant or two, and I like to take different workout classes too!

Shannon January 30, 2010 at 7:39 pm

That is a well earned day off! Enjoy!

I like to get in a long run on the weekend and do something fun with the hubby! Last weekend was cross country skiing :)

Emily January 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm

you should take two days off :)

Michelle @ Eatingjourney January 30, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Another thing that I like to do w/ the pulp is simply saute w/ a little vegan spread and/or EVOO w/ s/p and through over a salad or mix with rice/quinoa. I love using leftover pulp. Otherwise it’s SUCH a waste.

Susan January 30, 2010 at 8:49 pm

It’s mega cold here too. I hate that – when the sun is shining and it looks all gorgeous out, then you get whipped by the cold air the second you step outside.

Carrot muffins are my favourite!!! These are definitely being added to the top of my muffin list.

Hope you had a great day off! :)

Mae @ OhhMay January 30, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Wow, Angela you have me so addicted to loose leaf teas. They’re so much better than bags. My newest love!
The muffins look fantastic, I will be trying them as soon as I have the ingredients on hand.

Have a great day off, you deserve it. My weekend rituals are relaxing breakfasts and time with my friends. Amazing.

Cynthia (It All Changes) January 30, 2010 at 9:56 pm

We love to watch Dr. Who on Saturday nights and watch a movie or go out to exercise on the weekends.

Melinda January 30, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Happy day off. Impressive that you made that many bars.

Sarah January 31, 2010 at 12:07 am

I made these this morning! Delicious, thank you! :-)

Jasmine January 31, 2010 at 12:10 am

Does the T = Tablespoon and t = teaspoon?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2010 at 10:23 am

yup!

Erin @ Living and Loving In L.A. January 31, 2010 at 12:40 am

Yum. Carrot muffins! I have a great carrot cake cupcake recipe that is before my vegan days…you’ve just inspired me to re-create it!

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) January 31, 2010 at 12:56 am

Hold off for Avatar!!!!!! You must.

Sportsgirl January 31, 2010 at 1:13 am

Enjoy your day off Angela!!!

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 31, 2010 at 2:04 am

I’m so glad you finally took a day off from work! You needed it =) Cute tee – so you.

Heidi January 31, 2010 at 2:15 am

Hey Angela,
I noticed you’re using sucanat in your oh so delicious looking carrot muffins. What’s the taste of sucanat compared to regular sugar?

AND PLEASE PLEASE go see Avatar in 3D someday! You won’t regret the wait!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2010 at 10:23 am

i dont notice a taste difference

[email protected] January 31, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Perfect Sunday for me is sit in bed and drink my coffee while reading newspaper or internet-walk the puppers, run, grocery shop for week and relax……

Have a great day!

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful January 31, 2010 at 12:46 pm

All your muffin recipes look outstanding. I must try this one!

Anna February 3, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I am ALWAYS up for a healthy new muffin recipe.

D July 20, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I just made this muffins…..and they are PERFECT!!!!! Mrs.Liddon you rock! Thank you!!!

Amari @ Eat Chic September 12, 2010 at 10:35 am

Made these muffins this morning for breakfast! They were so tasty I had to rave about them on my own blog! Thanks for a great recipe Angela!

Tamara November 3, 2010 at 9:59 am

Angela, is that Booty Camp DVD available for purchase, or only to those who are members of the fitness club? The workouts sound great!

yvonne February 3, 2015 at 5:50 am

It is the best recipe among all: not too sweet and feel healthy! – I do keep the fresh applesause rather than banana.

Sue September 11, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I added orange zest from 1 large orange, and sub’d the two tablespoons of ‘milk’ with fresh oj from that orange, and also added toasted walnuts instead of raisins and cacao (kids have something against raisins, and are suspicious of nibs), and topped with walnuts as well.
They turned out really well – and then I realized I forgot the olive oil! Perhaps they’ll be even better next time, when I remember all of the ingredients, lol.

Kelli Lachance October 17, 2017 at 7:16 pm

These were excellent! I used mashed banana instead of applesauce, dairy milk, and left out the 3 tablespoons of sugar. Even without the sugar, they were still lightly sweet and very tasty! My one-year old son also really likes them! Thanks for the great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2017 at 10:15 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it (and your 1 year old! I will have to make these for my kiddos :)