Florida Road Trippin

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 23, 2010

Thank you all for your amazing comments on my QUIT-IVERSARY! If you are looking for some inspiration head on over and read through the comments. All I can say is WOW.

I think Michelle said it well:

“The most liberating thing that one can do for themselves is to stand up for who they are..even if they’re not sure. Just saying ‘Nope not doing that anymore’ is empowering.”

Katherine said:

“It’s very difficult to leave a path that is certain (even if it’s certainly miserable) for the unknown.”

So true!

I know there are so many of you out there right now who feel stuck in a dead-end job or school career. I think to a certain degree, many of us have to experience the ‘crappy jobs’ to really figure out what will make us happy.

If I hadn’t experienced what I had, I probably wouldn’t be where I am today. I probably wouldn’t have found the determination to start my own business if I hadn’t been really ticked off with my situation. Never forget that so much good can come from the bad times!! The bad times give us motivation to find a way out, and through this motivation we often discover just what we are made of.

So the next time you feel overwhelmed or in despair over your current situation think about what it is teaching you and how you will use this to create a better future.

Take those lemons and make lemonade!!! ;)

~~~

We watched the Hope For Haiti Now Telethon last night. I was quite impressed with the performances last night. I especially loved Shakira, Jen Hudson, and Madonna’s performances. Shivers!

Dinner was a celebration dinner that I planned at the spur of the moment.

Chef Angela at your service:

IMG_9828

VEGAN PIZZA PIE!

IMG_9800 IMG_9810 IMG_9818  IMG_9833 IMG_9836 IMG_9837

And grilled romaine hearts. Eric got cheese on his half of the pizza. :)

IMG_9843 IMG_9844 IMG_9847

Both of which BOMBED. I didn’t care for the grilled romaine (I overcooked it to a shriveled mess) and the spelt pizza pie was just ok. It was really too much crust I think.

IMG_9860

Sure looked pretty though!

IMG_9866

Road Trippin ‘10

Eric and I also started to plan our Florida trip which begins on March 20th!

florida_map

START: Naples, FL

• Travel to Key West
  • Miami, South Beach
  • Fort Lauderdale
  • West Palm Beach
  • Cocoa Beach
  • Orlando
  • Tampa
  • St. Petersburg/Clearwater (Where I used to live! I have family here too)
  • Sarasota
  • Fort Myers

FINISH: Naples, FL

Are we missing anything?? What are some fun sites to see in each of these cities? Good vegetarian restaurants? Things to do? Hotels? Cheap car rentals? Any help is appreciated! :)

I also want to do a couple blogger meet-ups along the way!! I appreciate your ideas.

~~~

Breakfast this morning began with a fresh juice made up of three carrots, 1 grapefruit, and a piece of ginger. This is my fav juice combo now. It was super ORANGE and gave me a burst of energy.

IMG_9776 IMG_9778 IMG_9781IMG_9779

I’m off to workout and then have the last of my leftover Baked Breakfast Cake post-workout! Yummy.

IMG_9447

Sketchie thanks you for your birthday wishes! He enjoyed a delicious meal of wet food (sardines, crab, and salmon) last night. So glad he doesn’t eat wet food often because it STANK to the high heavens, lol.

He’s currently about to Whittle his Middle with us.

Cat Got Back:

IMG_9788

On today’s agenda:

• Baking up orders + shipping
  • Going to see Avatar with some friends tonight- I hear it is fantastic in the IMAX!

Enjoy your Saturday!

Angela_Signature

Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2«12
Sophie @ yumventures January 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I used to go to Sarasota every year, so I agree with the above suggestions :) Plus some key lime pie!

I know all about bombing meals, but yours still looked delish! I never thought about grilling romain…have you ever done it so you liked it?

Kara January 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Definitely stop by Better Than Sex for some dessert in Key West. It’s wonderful!

Kristen January 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I went to high school in Cocoa Beach! =D People seem to like the Ron Jon’s. Go check out Kennedy Space Center–it’s farther north, but definitely worth it to get a glimpse of the space program.

There’s not much that stands out by the way of vegetarian food, but THE BEST BREAKFAST PLACE IN COCOA BEACH BY FAR is Simply Delicious Cafe. For Cuban food, Roberto’s is AMAZING.

I’m not sure how well those would be able to cater to your vegan preference but they are definitely the stand-outs, in my opinion =]

lindsay January 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm

You should check out Help Yourself in Key West it’s fresh and delicious

Kristen January 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I wish you were coming to Gainesville!! There’s a vegan ice cream cafe called “Karma Cream”–it’s organic, fair trade, and just plain delicious. It has as many vegan flavors of ice cream as it has dairy flavors, and it has vegan toppings (marshmallows, sprinkles, whipped topping) as well. They bake their own creative vegan desserts like cakes and cupcakes and cookies too. So amazing and you would love it =]

Kristen January 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Oh, and it’s not on the list of cities but St. Augustine is amazing too!! Soooo cute and historical and walkable and probably one of the best beaches on the east coast!

Mandiee January 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

wow, i love all of your photos! the colors are vibrant and beautiful. they really put a smile on my face :). i’m sorry to hear that your pizza pie didn’t live up to your expectations, but let me just tell you it looks gorgeous anyway :D.

have a lovely day!

Pure2Raw - Twins January 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

WOW, that sounds like a great trip to the sunny state :) We are from Ft. Myers, FL. We can give you some local eats and health food stores if you would like? Though Ft. Myers has changed a lot!! Pizza pie looks lovely! Wish we still lived in Florida we would love to meet you :)

Susan January 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm

You’re in for a lot of fun – great itinerary. I went to key west in January of 2009 and Venice this past November . Here’s a few ideas:

Almond Tree Inn – not even a block off Duval on Truman. Very affordable and contemporary island. Romantic too.

If you like art and mansions, make sure to check out the Ringling in Sarasota and Vizcaya in Miami. The gulf beaches, imho, are better than the atlantic (and they’ll be warmer this time of yr. too.) Sarasota has one of the whitest beaches but it’s usually packed. You’ll have a fab time no matter what you do though cause it’s Florida!

Mason January 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm

You should check out a Tampa Bay Lightning game. See how the South does hockey!

Cristina January 23, 2010 at 4:46 pm

That hairnet your wearing reminds me of my internship I did last semester, it was for a medical device plant and they made sutures, we had to wear those things all the time! :p the Pizza pie looks delicious! Never tried to grill Romaine but it looks tasty, sorry it bombed! lol

Cyndi January 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

The picture of your “cat on the mat” made me laugh out loud!

I may steal that as a screensaver haha …

Amy Gaskins January 23, 2010 at 5:17 pm

My hubby can get u a deal on a 1 bedroom with a kitchen in St. Augustine at the World Golf Village for under $100 a night. Its the rriends and family discount we get for him being employed there. Let me know if u want us to book it. A great restraunt in St. augustine is manatees cafe. Great vegan food and a perfect blogger meeting place too.

Tamara January 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Sublime in fort lauderdale is an upscale vegetarian restaurant. Pizza fusion has vegan pizza options(and gluten free crusts!) it has sveral locations where you’ll be travelling. In Naples check out ufood grille on immokalee rd. I’m pretty sure they have vegetarian food and eerything is fresh and healthy. They have baked French fries that I swear taste like real fried fries! I’ll be in Tampa while your travelling about bit my home is fort lauderdale and my inlaws live in Naples so hoepfully I can meet u at a blogger meet up!

Good Taste. Healthy Me January 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm

ooo I’m so jealous! I’m dying to get down to some warm weather!! I’m sick of winter!

laurie January 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Blue Heaven in Key West is a MUST for Key West )you can find it online) and there is a Lululemon outlet in Orlando if you want to shop on your trip!

laurie January 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I meant to say Blue Heaven is a must for breakfast!

Nicole January 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Your pizza looks super delicious! I was watching Man Vs. Food last night and the host was challenged to eat a 10 pound pizza pie that look liked yours. Except it was like 30x bigger, and filled with meat and cheese. It was craaazy. He did finish it, with a partner :D

K January 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Just a random question –
Is Eric also a vegan now? If not, does he mind eating at those restaurants?
I can’t wait to read more about your trip to florida. WIsh I could go!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm

He’s not a vegan, but he does enjoy the veg restaurants that we go to. The only thing he doesn’t like are raw food restaurants so I dont bring him to those. ;)

Tracey January 23, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I saw Avatar on Christmas night and I must admit it was really good!

My husband and his brother are going to see it tonight.

Marina January 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Hey Angela! I’m originally from Florida, and my two favorite places, by far, are the Everglades National Park, off the Tamiami Trail (it looks doable with where you will be), and St. Augustine which is on the Atlantic north of where you will be. Didn’t care for Miami…it is pretty in the main area, but had a very “fake” feeling? Also, be careful about swimming in the Gulf…last time I was there it was very oily, and just smelled “off”…later, while taking a biology class I discovered how much of our waste water is dumped in the gulf…eeww!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 23, 2010 at 8:47 pm

haha, I totally know the bummed feeling of bombing a meal. But hey, it’s the thought that counts right?!

Jen January 23, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I used to live in Orlando! My favorite eateries are Ethos, Virgin Olive Market, Aroma Coffee and Wine, and Mellow Mushroom. Ethos is vegan, and the others are veg-friendly. A raw restaurant opened only a few days before I moved away; I can’t recall the name… If you’re in Orlando on a Sunday, there is the weekly farmer’s market at Lake Eola, and I highly recommend checking it out. Plus, there is a mile-long walkway along the lake and open grassy areas: perfect for relaxing, exercising and picture-taking. E-mail me if you have any questions!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

Your pizza looks amazing! I’ve never had grilled romaine before, but it sounds good.

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 24, 2010 at 12:22 am

so jealous you’re going to florida! looks like such a fun trip :)

i love the last picture with Sketchie & the mat…priceless :)

Baroque Diva January 24, 2010 at 12:31 am

Right near Ft. Meyers you should drive over to Sanibel Island/Captiva Island. Absolutely one of the world’s most beautiful beaches, and the sand is all shells! It is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to, and the sunsets are incredible! While in Miami, you should see a concert by Seraphic Fire!

Jill January 24, 2010 at 12:39 am

Siesta Key! Run, don’t walk, it is the most beautiful beach in the continental US. 98% quartz. No matter how hot it is the sand is cool between your toes!

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run January 24, 2010 at 1:04 am

The “orange juice” is gorgeous. I love your picture layout. Wish I knew how to do that =/

Shannon January 24, 2010 at 9:11 am

I wouldn’t mind planning a trip to Florida right now. Sounds like you’ll fit in a lot of great places. I wish I had recommendations, but my only trip to Florida was to Disney….and I was chaperoning 32 teenagers at the time.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 24, 2010 at 9:58 am

Wow you guys really are road tripping around FL! Sounds like a blast. How many days will you be down there?
I’m glad to see you’re going to Sarasota. The husband and I got married there!
Happy planning :D

Jen M January 24, 2010 at 12:09 pm

A great way to find vegetarian and vegan friendly places all around the world is Happy Cow. Here is the link to Florida

Anna January 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That orange smoothie LOOKS like a total jolt of energy! Wow, that’s lovely. I love food that looks the same way it should. :)

Arianna January 24, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I’m from the Cocoa Beach area, so I hope you enjoy it! :) Your Florida Road Trip sounds like a blast! :)

Things to do: Indialantic Beach – zero crowds, Ron Jon Surf Shop – huge store with lots of beach goodies

Places to eat: Green Room Cafe – vegetarian and vegan (never been but looks so delicious and relaxing!), Captain Hiram’s – actually has a bar, restaurant, and hotel attached and right on the river, Mai Tiki Bar – right on the ocean

Julie Boyer January 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Hi Angela,
Have a super time tonight at Avatar. We loved it and saw it twice. It is such a cool experience with the 3D glasses.
Also, it’s so funny about Sketchie and WMM, my cat Elmo seems to always want to get involved when I am doing it as well.
Cheers!

Colleen January 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! St. Pete is where my parents live and my Dad works in Clearwater! Small world! :)

::christine:: January 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I gotcha covered on Orlando vegetarian restaurants.

www.dandelion.com

www.ethosvegankitchen.com ******

www.infusiontea.us

Kristy January 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

If you are going to be in WPB for sure – let me know when. Would love to try a vegan place with you :-)

maggie January 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm

so about that delish looking juice, how do u juice the grapefruit???
I would love to hear more about your juicing creations!

Liz January 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Try the Oceanfront Hotel (Courtyard by Marriott) at 440 Seabreeze Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. It’s right on the beach. I recommend trying Taverna Opa – really fun Greek place, where you should be able to find vegetarian options. Anthony’s Coal Fire Pizza is also really good. Take the Water Taxi to see all the beautiful houses!

Marketing Speaker December 10, 2014 at 2:08 am

Fantastic website you have here but I was wondering if you
knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked
about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from
other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please
let me know. Bless you!