Tropical Balmy Bliss Breakfast Muffins

I had so much fun watching the Golden Globes last night. :D

IMG_9524

IMG_9536 IMG_9532

IMG_9521 IMG_9519

My vote for Best Dressed Female: Olivia Wilde

IMG_9538

Her dress was stunning. Unexpected, original, and very memorable. It didn’t look as good in photos as it did on screen!

arrives at the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards held at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 17, 2010 in Beverly Hills, California.

[Source]

I tried to think of the one dress that stuck out in my memory and her’s was it! Normally I am more of a ‘classic’ fan, but this was just so different I had to pick it.

My runners up for Best Dressed Female were Halle Berry (jaw-dropping), Emily Blunt, and Drew Barrymore.

Who were your best dressed?

It turned out that we didn’t get 24 on our basic cable channels. We are going to have to watch it online somewhere I guess! Don’t tell me what happened!

Sketchie caught up on his beauty sleep by the ‘fire’…

IMG_9506

Speaking of beauty sleep, the past two nights I have slept like a baby cat. I sprung out of bed this morning at 6am, rearing to go! I think my body is slowly starting to get the hang of this Early Rising Challenge. I absolutely love early mornings. I am the only one up and it is so peaceful.  I also feel like I am most productive in the mornings. There is something to be said about a long morning ripe with opportunity!

However, I will admit there was something that helped spring me out of bed this morning…

[print_this]

Ingredients

• Dry
  • 2 cups whole grain spelt flour
  • 1.5 t baking soda
  • 2 t aluminum-free baking powder
  • 1/4 t fine grain sea salt
  • 1/2 cup sucanat (or regular sugar would work)
  • Wet
  • 1/3 cup-1/2 cup (approx) leftover juicer pulp (made up of kiwi, cantaloupe, grapefruit, carrots) OR chopped fresh fruit of your choice
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (I used sweetened)
  • Flax egg: 1 T ground flax + 3 T warm water (replaces 1 egg)
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1 t lime juice
  • Filling
  • 1/2-3/4 cup sweetened yogurt (approx < 1 T per muffin)
  • Garnish
  • Lime zest
  • 1 small banana, sliced (approx 2 slices per muffin)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Grease muffin tin.
  3. Whisk ground flax and water in a small/medium bowl and let it set for a few minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
  5. Take the smaller bowl with the flax in it and whisk again.
  6. Now add the rest of the wet ingredients to the flax mixture.
  7. Make sure to pick out large pulp pieces before putting it in. Whisk well.
  8. Now add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just incorporated.
  9. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into the muffin tin.
  10. Now add approx 1 Tablespoon of the yogurt on top and follow it with another tablespoon of batter on top.
  11. Repeat for the remaining 11 muffins.
  12. Garnish with lime zest and banana slices.
  13. Bake for 18 – 20 minutes.
Note: Go easy on the grapefruit. If you have a lot in your pulp, I suggest adding more sweetener to balance the tartness. This is a fun way to use up leftover juicer pulp! If you don’t have the juice pulp you can still make this recipe- just throw in your favourite chopped tropical fruit. Mango, cantaloupe, or kiwi would be delicious. These muffins are super moist- without any oil or butter!- and not too sweet so they make a hearty breakfast muffin.

[/print_this]

I adapted these from my Lime and Cantaloupe Margarita muffins.

Oh, these are good. So so so moist.

IMG_9494

You can see the yogurt flowing like a river throughout the muffin!

IMG_9466 IMG_9490

I love the lime zest. So tropical and so fun.

IMG_9489

A great way to include some fruit and veggies in your morning muffin!

IMG_9485

These are definitely something to get up early for! I had one muffin with a Green Monster.

What is your favourite muffin flavour?

I LOVE all kinds, but especially Banana-nut-blueberry, Classic BRAN, and carrot spice.

~~~~

Updates:

And because this always makes me giggle when I say it… ;)

GIT ‘ER DONE!!!!!!!!!

Angela_Signature

The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Page 2 of 2«12
Tammy January 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I normally don’t like awards shows, but the Golden globes were funny! I didn’t care for Drew Barrymore’s dress, personally…but I did like the dresses of Kate Hudson, Emily Blunt, Cameron Diaz and Kristen Bell…Did you watch 24 last night??? I knew the brother of the foreign president was trouble! Don’t forget the premiere continues tonight!

Chelsea January 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I feel the same way about mornings-it’s my “me” time. You are quite right that you slept like a cat and not a baby-babies don’t sleep that well but cats sure as heck do!

Maureen January 18, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I was just wondering if there are many nutrients and much flavour left in the pulp once the juicer is finsihed with it. The muffins look great.
As for the awards I think there was a collective jaw drop when Halle Berry came out.

Erin January 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Those muffins look fantastic! My favorite is banana pecan!

Melinda January 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Cute looking muffins. I love oat bran with cranberry muffins and also banana bread muffins. I didn’t get to see the awards last night, not sure if they were aired anywhere over here.

Sophie @ yumventures January 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I just love Meryl Streep, and was so happy for her to win for her part as Julia Child. I feel that Julie and Julia speaks to all of the food bloggers out there :) What a fabulous actress!

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 18, 2010 at 4:07 pm

What a fabulous idea!
We got a juicer for Christmas, and it always kinda bums me out to see the vibrant, fibrous, juice pulp get thrown out. Totally gonna try to make carrot cake with carrot pulp!

Lauren January 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I love chocolate chips. Dark chocolate. YUM.

[email protected] January 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I DID watch the Globes last night and it was really fun. I thought as a whole everyone looked beautiful! Halle Berry, Sandra Bullock, Penelope Cruz, Jodie Foster and Jennifer Anistan to name a few….Oh and George of course!

Tania January 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm

that muffin recipe looks great!…i just may rush home from work tonight to bake up a batch!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health January 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I think the best dressed female was Emily Blunt. I just loved the paleness of the dress with her chocolate brown hair!

Kate January 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Jennifer Aniston always looks so beautiful and classy! :) I agree, Gracie. Emily Blunt looked beautiful as well!

My favorite muffin is the traditional blueberry. Oh.My.Goodness!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know what it is about it, but it has to be moist, very large, and complimented with a coffee with cream only. Best Ever!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 18, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I love the banana slices on top! My favorite muffin is probably apple cinnamon :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Great looking muffins! And Sketchie – too cute :)

Janna (Just Flourishing) January 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I loved halle berry, she always looks stunning.

LOVE tropical flavors so those muffins sound amazing!!!

Courtney January 18, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Grrr, I missed the Golden Globes! :( Her dress is stunning – she isn’t my favorite person though.

jessica January 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I agree with you on all your picks except Drew Barrymore. I didn’t love her dress at all (or her hair). I’d replace Drew with Helen Mirren because she looked friggen fantastic!!

Also, those muffins look to die for! yum
I love all muffins especially blueberry, bran, and banana chocolate chip!

Anna January 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm

These look delish! I love the little slice of banana in the top–very cute. Muffins are totally my favourite pre-workout snacks.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I don’t know how you can come up with recipes like this! How do you know how much wet and dry ingredients you need etc.?? Amazing!

angela @ a healthy fit January 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Mmmm, those muffins look so tasty! You are so creative with your recipes.I think I need to get a juicer! I was wishing I had tv last night (we watch all of our shows online). Guess I’ll just have to wait for People to come out or look at some celebrity blogs!

Susan January 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I made the muffins and they came out amaaazing!! I have a question..how do you store your muffins? in the fridge, in a tupperware on the counter? I’m always on the fence about this. I’d love your advice. Thanks!

One Healthy Apple January 19, 2010 at 12:50 am

Haha, I loved the picture of Sketchie! I also loved the quote under it :)!

I thought Reese Witherspoon looked great and I liked Sandra Bullock’s hair- so classic and beautiful!

My favorite muffins are pumpkin chocolate chip!

Katie January 19, 2010 at 1:12 am

I love making up muffin recipes! I posted a couple on my blog, but the butternut cranberry muffins were my favorite! http://makingfoodandotherstuff.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/fall-muffins/

Trail January 19, 2010 at 1:49 am

Pumpkin spice is my fave flavor. These look and sound delish. I’ll certainly keep them in mind even if they look a little more involved than my typical items.

The pic of Skechie is hilarious!

Baroque Diva January 19, 2010 at 2:45 am

LOL Happier than a pig in shit!!!! :) FAB. and CLASSY. LOL I loved Emily Blunt’s dress, but also Sandra Bullock’s bright purple strapless. She looked beautiful- but I LOVED The Young Victoria and wished Emily Blunt had won. Guess I should go to The Blind Side!

Heidi January 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I was a big fan of Maggie Gyllenhaal’s dress, but she seemed a bit, well, drugged. I also thought Anna Paquin was stunning, but I’m a bit biased – True Blood is one of my favorite shows!
Worse dressed? Chloë Sevigny. Hands down. I was actually glad that it was ripped on stage. What a mess!

Lori January 22, 2010 at 12:31 am

I Loved Kate Hudson’s dress and emily blunts both were so pretty

Michal January 24, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Yum these look simple and delish!

Kris June 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

WOW. My new favorite muffins! I used chopped kiwis for the fruit, and my soy yogurt was raspberry-fig flavored. Perfect. I think I’m going to make another batch to share with my coworkers. The goodness must be shared.