Healthy Spelt Pancakes For One

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 2, 2010

IMG_8834

Do you like pancakes?

I sure do.

IMG_8847

I am a pancake lover, but I typically don’t make them for the following reasons:

• I am not a fan of how many pancakes most recipes make when I just want a single serving
  • Whenever I make pancakes on weekends, it always turns into a big production. Mess, drips, pans, spills, small kitchen fires…you get the idea.

IMG_8835

But I am no quitter, my friends.

I decided to create a ‘Pancake for 1’ recipe and prepare the dry ingredients the night before. I also had a few requirements:

• It had to use whole grain flour
  • High in protein and fibre
  • Be quick enough to make on a weekday morning

Preparing it the night before actually worked out quite well and it only took me about 10 minutes to make this morning. This will work wonderfully for weekday mornings.

Mission Accomplished!

Healthy Spelt Pancakes for One

IMG_8871

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • tiny pinch sea salt
  • 1 t baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
  • 1/8 t maca powder (optional)
  • 1/2 T Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein Powder (optional)
  • 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)

Syrup + topping ideas (see below)

Directions: Mix all dry ingredients together the night before and place in container. In the morning, heat a skillet on medium while mixing the batter. Add the milk to dry ingredients and stir well. Spray the skillet with non stick oil and spoon the batter onto the skillet on med-low temperature. Flip pancakes when bubbles pop and cook other side.

Makes 5 baby pancakes. Awww how cute.

IMG_8912

I made the low sugar coconut oil syrup (see below). This is my go-to pancake syrup. So amazing. It doesn’t give you that sick feeling like maple syrup often does.

IMG_8905

Untitled

These pancakes pack quite the nutritional punch.

215 calories for the entire batch (without maca, hemp, syrup or toppings), 8 grams of protein, 11 grams of fibre, 21% of the day’s iron requirements and 11% of calcium requirements!

Sprinkle some chia seeds on top and you will add some healthy omega oils, antioxidants, iron, and calcium. :)

HEALTHY SYRUP IDEAS:

Low sugar syrup:

For the syrup, I like to mix coconut oil and maple syrup for a really delicious low sugar syrup. I mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1/2 a tablespoon of pure maple syrup together and the result is pure heaven.

Low calorie syrup:

Sometimes I also mix 5 parts applesauce and 1 part agave nectar for a very low calorie yet delicious ‘syrup’.

IMG_8883 Topping Ideas:

• Chia seeds
  • Goji berries
  • Unsweetened coconut
  • Dark chocolate
  • Cacao nibs
  • Almond or peanut butter
  • Crushed walnuts

It was a delicious, filling, and quick breakfast!

What is your ideal breakfast if you could have anything in the world?

What does your weekend breakfast routine look like compared to your weekday breakfast routine?

Off to workout + Whittle! Then work for a few hours today followed by a couple returns at the mall.

Angela_Signature

Page 3 of 3«123
Mel July 22, 2012 at 4:39 am

I tried these last week now I am pure addicted!

Rebecca September 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm

These pancakes are perfect! My biggest problem with pancakes is portion control (I make a whole batch, and then eat WAY too many of them.) This single-serving recipe is ideal!

I mixed some apple cider vinager in with the soymilk before combining with the dry ingredients (to turn it into ‘buttermilk’) and added toasted walnuts and chopped fresh figs to the batter. I let the batter rest for about half an hour before cooking.

These pancakes were super-fluffy and delicious. I made the maple syrup/coconut oil mixture and dunked the pancakes in as I ate them. They were absolutely amazing!! Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!

Ashley October 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Maple syurp doesn’t make you feel sick if it’s 100% real. Now, the fake stuff, like Aunt Jemima? *That* I can see making you feel sick.

Plus there are different grades of maple syrup–1’s generally better for using as syrup, 2’s better for baking and such because they have a stronger flavour (Canadian federal classification has 1, 2 and 3, basically splitting up 2 into two categories). In all a darker colour means a stronger flavour. (This isn’t targeting you specifically, but anyone who doesn’t know that real maple syrup if different from the fake stuff. I have met too many people who think the only difference is how it’s made and that the flavour is the same. If the flavour of real maple syrup varies, how can the fake stuff ever be the same as real?)

Ayisha February 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I made these pancakes and found the middles were quite gooey no matter what I tried (ie: lower cooking temp, adding more milk etc.) any suggestions?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2013 at 10:09 am

Hi there, Im sorry that hasn’t happened to me before. I would try cooking them a bit longer to ensure the middle cooks through. Goodluck!

Eli September 23, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Do you have to prepare the dry ingredients the night before or can I make them in the morning aswell?

eli September 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

is there any reason to leaving the dry ingredients sit at night? can i just stir them together in the morning?

eli September 24, 2013 at 12:35 pm

sorry didnt know if my comment before sent so i wrote it twice! :p

Robin December 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm

These were excellent! I was really pleased that the batter itself didn’t call for any sweetener or oil. I figure, I’m going to top it with sweet things/oil or butter so the pancakes don’t need it! I threw a couple handfuls of blueberries into my batter and topped the finished product with 1/2tbsp coconut oil mixed with 1tsp maple syrup and 1/2tsp cacao powder. SO GOOD. The cacao was an incredible addition. Thanks Angela!

Natalie January 20, 2014 at 11:47 am

These were ridiculously easy, and delish to boot! Thank you!

Senna January 23, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hi Angela! I’m 15 and am just in LOVE with your blog! My mom and I have been following it for about a month now and WOW. You are truly amazing! I was finding it a little tough being a vegan.. not knowing any recipes to make on my own. Your blog helped me huge. I love these pancakes, and am actually typing this before I eat mine I just made. :) Perfect before school! So.. thank you. Thank you for doing what you do. <3

Dylan March 11, 2014 at 4:35 pm

these were delicious ! the portion was waaay too small for me (i usually eat around 600-800 calories each meal lol), so I’ll have to double this next time. But they tasted really great :)

Eva April 5, 2014 at 5:35 am

I loved these so much! The serving was a little too big for me and I feel kind of heavy now but it’s nothing compared to how I normally feel after pancakes! The taste is kind of bland but personally I love that taste because you can do with it whatever you want! I also love how healthy thee are! I’ll definitely make these more often!

Lucy May 7, 2014 at 11:31 am

Hi! There isn’t a single recipe on your blog that doesn’t make my mouth water and tummy rumble… However, before I can attempt to recreate these culinary delights, I need a crucial piece of information. As I am from the UK, I do not understand the cup measurements used in US recipes. Please could you explain how to convert into kilograms/grams and litres/millilitres? Especially for the recipe above! I am craving pancakes and have all the ingredients in my cupboard!!!
Kind regards,
Lucy x

Jess August 24, 2015 at 3:31 am

I just made these and they were SO good! Wholesome, hearty, healthy and darn right delicious!

I topped with 1/2 a grilled banana and your suggested syrup of coconut oil and maple syrup! Great way to make the maple syrup go further!

First healthy pancake I’ve made that actually cooked and looked like a pancake!

Thanks for the recipe :)

Lily May 3, 2016 at 11:00 am

Ate it. Loved it. Saving it.

Keith August 29, 2016 at 7:05 pm

I make a big batch. They freeze well, and taste just fine thawed.

Patricia April 5, 2017 at 9:00 pm

These are super delicious!!! WOW. Light, fluffy, with the nutty flavours of the spelt flour. I put wild frozen blueberries in mine, and omitted the mana and hemp because I didn’t have them. Yummy.