10 In 2010 + A Life Changing Decision

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas EVE!!!

I snuck in a quick but intense 20 min treadmill hill workout early this morning to start the holiday off on the right foot. It’s been rush, rush, rush all morning!

Let’s begin:

You may recall, last year I wrote my 9 in 2009.

It is simply a list of 9 NEW things that I wanted to do in 2009.

I recently did a recap of my goals if you want to check it out and see how I did for 2009.

400_F_13334911_unauapOaNEQq9SUR4yQwlCvnEbBC3OUn[Source]

Onto bigger and better things….2010!

Here are 10 new things that I want to accomplish in 2010:

1) Sell Glo Bars in stores

Approaching local stores is not something I really had time for while starting up the business in 2009, however I hope to really make headway with this in 2010. I will approach local health stores, grocery stores, kiosk stands, bakeries, gyms, lemonade stands (hahaha jk), etc.

2) Work a booth at the local Farmer’s market this spring/summer selling bakery goods

Last March I applied to the local Farmer’s Market, but I was rejected because they ‘didn’t have room’. Which is code word for ‘your business is only 1 month old and we don’t think you will sell anything.’

Hopefully this year I will get in and be able to prove myself! I know the bars would sell like hot cakes and I just want to get in there and SELL. I don’t care if I have to get up at 3am on Saturday mornings, I really think it would be a great fit for me!! Should I get in I will likely be hiring someone to work it with me.

3) Run my 3rd half marathon (May 30, 2010) and set a new PR (sub 1 hour 56 mins.)

Myself and a few other girls are already signed up for the Toronto Women’s Half Marathon on May 30th 2010. I actually found out we have a wedding to go to the night before (gulp!), so I am going to have to really keep it an early and alcohol-free night!

4) Write a book

I have a lot of ideas floating through my head that I am just itching to do. Patience is a virtue, however!

5) Furnish our bedroom and decorate

This year for Christmas, Eric and I exchanged small gifts because we want to buy ourselves bedroom furniture. Let me tell you, there is a reason that I have never shown a picture of our bedroom on this blog! It is a sad state. We have a bed and 1 set of old drawers…and that is all she wrote.

The room is not warm, inviting, or pretty. :( It’s hideous!

Our plan is to look for Boxing Day sales and hopefully find a good deal on a bedroom set. We also want to paint and get new curtains. If anyone in Canada sees any deals let me know! :) I saw a few sets I liked at The Brick, but they weren’t on sale (yet).

6) TRAVEL!

This was one goal in 2009 that did not happen! No time, no money. However, we hope to be able to travel a bit in 2010. We have plans to go to Florida in MARCH and stay with my mom and stepdad as they are renting a condo in Naples. It will be a really cheap trip as we are going to fly out of Buffalo and we won’t have to pay for lodging. We aren’t sure of the date yet, but I will be organizing a blogger meet-up if we go, so stay tuned for details! I hope to be able to meet a bunch of you lovely gals and travel around FL a bit too. I used to live there, ya know! ;)

7) Attend a Blog Conference

Being a Canadian Blogger is tough! I have had to sit here and watch so many American bloggers attend fun conferences and get to meet! Well, I decided this year that would change. I am taking the reins and hoping to attend the Blog Her NYC Conference! A few of us Canadian gals might be road trippin’ together. I really hope we can swing it!! No promises yet though, it is still just in the ‘crazy idea’ stage.

8.) Save MONEY.

So #6 and #7 may not jive with this goal, however I do think it is possible to be frugal and have fun at the same time! I started this goal early actually. Yesterday, I called Rogers (My evil cell phone provider) and I slashed my cell phone bill in HALF! How did I do this? Well, I decided that I could live without Caller ID, call waiting, etc. I also decided that I could do without my data plan (texting, email). I have a basic $20 plan now that is 200 anytime minutes (which they don’t even sell anymore at that price, now it is $30- ha!), and my monthly bill will now be $31 CAD per month (incl. tax) instead of $65 CAD a month. That is a savings of $408 in 2010!!

My wallet feels bigger already. Yawhoo!

Am I sad about not having email and texting and caller display?
HELL to the YES.

But to be honest, it will miss me more than I will miss it… ;)

In 2010, I will be finding ways to cut back just like I did with my cell phone. I think that there are many things that we have in life that we think are necessities, but they really aren’t. At the beginning of 2009, Eric and I cancelled our Cable TV. And guess what? We don’t miss it much. Most of the shows we watch are on the local channels and other shows we can find online. It is a savings of $600 a year.

9) Get new packaging for Glo Bars and purchase UPC codes for Glo Bars

I am also looking into a US distributor for the bars and using Fed Ex instead of Canada Post for a postal company. Stay tuned for details! Lots of changes will take place in 2010.

10) Raise money for those in need!

In 2009, I raised over $3300 for the Canadian Cancer Society. This year I plan on raising more money for cancer, however I will also be raising money for a new charity…

NEDIC– otherwise known as the National Eating Disorder Information Centre. I will be partnering with NEDIC in 2010 to help raise much needed funds for eating disorder research and support.

~~~~

So there you have it. The 10 NEW things I want to do in 2010.

A fresh year ripe with opportunities, don’t cha love it?

What are some new things you want to do in 2010?

~~~~

What potential life-changing experience did I sign up for?

Many of you guessed a marathon and some even a Triathlon, but I must tell you what I signed up for has nothing to do with sports.

A few weeks ago, I read a really touching story in a magazine.

IMG_8211

It was an article in November’s SELF magazine called ‘The Stranger Who Saved Me’

IMG_8192

It is the story of a women who signed up to be a Bone Marrow Donor and saved the life of Anna Robinson, a Leukemia sufferer.

Bone marrow is the soft, jelly-like tissue that is found in the hollow centres of bone. Bone marrow can be likened to the factory that produces stem cells which are the building blocks of blood itself. Donors donating bone marrow will undergo a surgical procedure where the stem cells are collected from the pelvic bones.

A small number of stem cells are also released into the circulating (peripheral) blood. There are drugs available that can be given to a donor to dramatically increase the release of the stem cells into the circulating blood so they can be collected directly from the blood stream.

Donors may be asked to donate either bone marrow or peripheral blood stem cells depending on which product is considered to be the best choice for the patient.

Not only did the donor save someone’s life, but the two women were able to meet a year later!

I read the article on the treadmill after a really sad day. We recently received news that an immediate family member was diagnosed with testicular cancer. :(

It is the type of news that makes you stop in your tracks and question everything that you do each day.

I don’t think it was a coincidence that I read this article that day. Normally I read a magazine while on the treadmill to pass the time, but during this workout I started to cry on the treadmill as I read this story.

It was extremely touching, heartfelt, and inspiring.

IMG_8195

I knew without a doubt that I wanted to do this.

Having worked at Canadian Blood Services before, I was already familiar with the bone marrow donation and received training on it, but I did more reading up on it to see if it was something I wanted to commit to.

I applied for the One Match program and I was contacted by Canadian Blood Services the next day. They are sending me a swab kit in the mail which will determine if I am a good candidate for the program. I take swabs of the inside of my cheeks, and send it back in the mail to them.

If I pass the swab test, I will then be entered into the world wide bone marrow registry.

I may be contacted or I may never be contacted. There are many people who are bone marrow registrants who are never called upon. If you are a match you will be called and you then have further testing done on your to determine if you are still a suitable candidate. It could be for a recipient anywhere in the world.

IMG_8199

What diseases are helped from marrow and stem cell donation?

• Specific forms of cancer:

º Leukemias
º Lymphomas
º Myeloma

• Bone marrow deficiency diseases caused by abnormal red blood cell production, such as thalassemia or sickle cell disease
  • Aplastic Anemia which is the lack of normal blood cell production
  • Immune system disorders (immunodeficiencies)
  • Metabolic Disorders

There are two methods of donation: peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC) and bone marrow. The patient’s doctor chooses the donation method that is best for the patient.

PBSC donation is a nonsurgical procedure that takes place at a blood center or outpatient hospital unit. For 5 days leading up to donation, you will be given injections of a drug called filgrastim to increase the number of blood-forming cells in your bloodstream. Your blood is then removed through a needle in one arm and passed through a machine that separates out the blood-forming cells. The remaining blood is returned to you through the other arm. Your blood-forming cells are back to their normal levels within 4 to 6 weeks.

Marrow donation is a surgical outpatient procedure that takes place at a hospital. You will receive anesthesia and feel no pain during the donation. Doctors use a needle to withdraw liquid marrow from the back of your pelvic bone. The marrow replaces itself completely within 4 to 6 weeks.

I thought about this long and hard and I researched both the bone marrow and PBSC procedures to determine if I was willing to do this. I do not think that this is a decision to take lightly and I would not encourage anyone to just ‘sign up’. I really think it has to come from within and be based on a well-informed decision.

For me, recent life events have made me realize how precious life is and how much I take for granted each day. In 2010, I really want to focus my energies on giving back as much as I can.

By the way, as for the big ‘M’ question…well, you will have to wait and see I guess! ;)

~~~~

On a somewhat unrelated note…

I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas!!!!

I truly thank you for your support in 2009. It has been a great year and I couldn’t have done this blog or the bakery without your support!

Be safe on the roads if you are traveling today. I hear that some of the US is under a huge snow storm! Anyone out there reading this who is snowed in??

WE’RE OFF TO FLY in the sky all the way to my BIRTHPLACEMoncton, NB!

Catch ya on the flip side. ;) Will be blogging from dad’s. YAY!

Angela_Signature

The things that matter most in the world can never be held in our hand. ~Unknown

Page 2 of 2«12
Jenny December 24, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Angela, you are amazing. I feel the need to give back (strangely, when I am at my most stressed-out and high-strung). I think I will make my 10 in 2010 as well.

MMW December 24, 2009 at 2:58 pm

What is the Big M Question… you’re already Married. Marrow? Moving? Money-Making?

Please do tell or I will spend all Christmas wondering.

Blessings and Merry Christmas to you! Your ideas and recipes have changed my waistline…and more importantly…my life!
xoxo MMW

Katrina M December 24, 2009 at 5:06 pm

i think she’s talking about running a marathon…. a lot of people guessed that that was her life changing experience she signed up for….. ??

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope December 24, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Maybe she is going to become a Mother!? haha

AGS December 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Wonderful.

Anne P December 24, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I saw that article too… so moving! Good for you for signing up :)

erica December 24, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Merry Christmas Angela!

just recently found your blog and find it so uplifting and inspirational :) i love your 10 in 2010 and have inspired me to make my own list for the upcoming year.

your blog has inspired me in so many ways and i just wanted to say a big thank you!

hope you have a great christmas!

mele kalikimaka!

MissMolly December 24, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Well Angela, you really left us with a cliffhanger at the end! Whats up with that? I guess it keeps things interesting! Hmm..big “M” question…moving, marathon??

And yes! I am part of that US population that is snowed in! My family won’t be making it to Christmas Eve church service for the first time in probably 25 years! :( And also most of my family that lives out of the are won’t be making to our other Christmas festivites! But that won’t stop us from celebrating I guess!

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Best wishes on your 10 in 2010!

Katrina M December 24, 2009 at 5:07 pm

merry christmas angela!!!! i just want to say thank you for a wonderful year and thank you for sharing yourself and your life with us. i can’t even remember how i stumbled onto your blog, but i’ve been here ever since! and i’m so thankful. you inspire me to try to be a better, healthier person.

good luck with your 10 in 2010. i’m going to try to get my husband to do one of those lists too!!!! have a great holiday!!!

Rachel December 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Wow! It looks like you’re going to have a very busy 2010 :) I think it’s really amazing that you’re willing to go through the medical stuff to give your bone marrow to someone in need! It’s something we don’t really think about, but if even half of the healthy people in the world gave bone marrow, blood, or organs and tissues they can live without then it would save SO MANY people! You’re an inspiration!

amy December 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Angela,I hope to meet u when u come to Florida. I’m in Jacksonville. one of my goals is also to help women with eating disorders. I suffer from one and would love to see money raised to help girls get treatment that can’t afford it. When I was in treatment so many girls had to go home because insurance quit paying or they ran out of money to pay on their own. Think of the lives that could be saved if they had proper treatment. Angela, your an inspiration.

Julie @savvyeats December 24, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Your list is so wonderful. Happy holidays, dear!

elliebelle December 24, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I read that same article in Self, it was very moving! I commend you for being so brave and signing up for the bone marrow registry.
As for the snow, I am in northern Wisconsin at my parents house (after a 6 hour drive in the snow to get here! Normally it takes 4 hours) and we have had about 6 inches so far and it seems more is coming – it is piling up! We did get in some great cross country skiing though.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Thanks for all the inspiring posts throughout the year!

Rachel December 24, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Always so interesting and thought provoking to read. All the best in 2010. Look forward to reading about your adventures along the way :) Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Melinda December 24, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Wow, congrats on signing up to be a bone marrow donor. That is a wonderful thing. Great goals and plans for 2010. I hope all your dreams come true.

Kristine December 24, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I am so touched that you are applying to be a bone marrow donor, so much that I am now researching ways I can help. When I was 18 and my little brother was 16, he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma aka cancer. It was traumatic and definitely life changing. Cancer has never ran in my family until this!! Happy to report he is now doing well, but I still know there is so much we as human beings can do to help! Thanks for increasing awareness and being awesome!

eliza December 24, 2009 at 11:19 pm

It is so wonderful to hear that so many people are signing up to be on the bone marrow donor list. This past year I actually donated my kidney to my little brother. Through his sickness I learned a LOT about organ/tissue donation. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had too. Best of luck to your family member.

Carolyn December 24, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Here’s to a year filled with travels.

Katie December 25, 2009 at 2:07 am

You’ve inspired me to make some goals for the New Year also. The first thing i will be doing is looking into donating bone marrow. My cousin died of leukemia a year ago, and all of my aunts, uncles and both parents all signed up. I wasn’t at home at the time, and then it slipped my mind. Thanks for the reminder; it is such a worthy cause and a few minutes can literally save a life.

Hillary @ Nutrition Nut on the Run December 25, 2009 at 3:35 am

Those are some WONDERFUL goals you have set for yourself. I also want to accomplish #3 – PR in my 3rd 1/2 marathon around 1 hr. 55m min.

Your posts are so touching and inspiring and I thank you for that.

Merry Christmas to you!

Janna December 25, 2009 at 9:13 am

What a beautiful and touching post. You are truly an amazing person Angela :)

I definitely need to sit down and put together my list of goals. You’re are so wonderful! Mine are all swimming around in my head, but I need to get them down on paper (er…blog :) )

Merry Christmas!

Eliana >^..^ December 25, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I love farmers market, I think the glo bars would do GREAT there! ;O)

I am SO excited you are coming to South Florida, I live in Miami which is only 2 hours from Naples. I would LOVE to meet you in person, OMG how cool would that be? ;O)
You should visit corkscrew swamp Audubon sanctuary, I LOVE IT THERE!!

I signed for bone marrow donor 3 months ago, the process for signing up is very easy. I really hope to help someone soon. ;O)

HUGS!! Merry Christmas.

Rebeca December 25, 2009 at 3:12 pm

So… I’ve been saying for years that I was going to sign myself up for the registry. As someone of mixed race (African American, Native American and Latina) I know that it’s often people in “my” groups and more so others of mixed races who cannot find matches.

Well, after reading your post I stopped procrastinating and filled out everything… now I’m just waiting for the swabs.

Thanks Ange!!

Katie O. @ Fit to Wed December 25, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Ange that is amazing. I read that article in self and was moved to tears. However, that’s where it stopped. Kudos to you for taking such a brave and selfless step. You truly are an inpsiration.

Jenny December 25, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Wow Angela, it seems that you have done exactly the right thing when considering donating to help those suffering from life threatening diseases. It is certainly not something to jump into, but the fact that you took the time to research ensures that you are comfortable with your decision and are the right person for the job!

Your blog is so wonderful, it’s such a joy to read! I hope you and your family are having a merry Christmas :)

Janice Smith December 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I’m so inspired to see your post on the bone marrow donating. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer, and while bone marrows clearly are unrelated, it still makes me motivated to help another family if I could. This seems like a good way.

However, like you, I am going to do some serious research before committing. Thanks for the inspiration this holiday!

LobotoME December 26, 2009 at 11:23 am

Great goals!

Brittany December 27, 2009 at 2:42 am

If you come to Florida I would be so happy to meet you!

::christine:: December 28, 2009 at 10:48 am

I am in Central Florida and would love to meet you when you come to Florida – *crosses fingers*

Joy December 28, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Angela,
Reading this got me motivated and I signed up yesterday to be on the donor list. All swabbed and ready to go!

Tiffanie December 28, 2009 at 2:42 pm

What a fantastic and wonderful thing you are doing. Bone Marrow donation is by no means any easy fete! That is awesome.

Since you are going to be in Florida in March……why don’t you run the Walt Disney World Princess 1/2 marathon with us??? Hayley is running it with me (It’s my life) and I’m pretty sure the Fitessista is too!!! It’s March 7th…will you be in by then???

Allison December 28, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Angela,

Reading your blog is such an uplifting experience. Your enthusiasm to reach your goals and your optimistic outlook on life are truly inspirational. I’m making my own list of goals for 2010 now and some of them include finding ways to actively help those less fortunate than me throughout the world and also starting a blog about my 5-week-long trip to South Africa this summer. Thanks for the constant motivation:) Happy Holidays!!

Kasey December 28, 2009 at 8:26 pm

I love your 2010 goals! And I think you are amazing for signing up to be a potential bone marrow donor. I work in a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit so your generosity hits close to home for me.

erica December 29, 2009 at 7:37 pm

you’ve inpsired me to do my own 10 in 2010 :)

Andrew Lowry January 18, 2010 at 12:55 am

Great goals. I am going to look into the One Match. It is interesting as a regular blood donor that CBS has not approached me on that program.

Is there a good season for buying beds in Canada? My wife and I are planning on replacing our bed this year and I would like to time it when sales are on.