Our Ugly Christmas Sweater Party!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 19, 2009

IMG_8035

Our 1st Annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party was a smashing success!

IMG_7921

Eric and I rocked out his and hers Dollarstore Christmas socks! ;) More on our outfits later…

The last thing I made yesterday was SANGRIA!

IMG_7957

This bowl has a lot of history…it was my Father in Law’s mother’s bowl that was handed down to us!

It was my first time making Sangria. I was short on time so I didn’t make the traditional version with heating up sugar and water to make syrup, however my easy version still tasted lovely!

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle red wine
  • 4-5 cans club soda
  • Agave nectar (to taste) I used 3-5 T maybe?
  • Lots of ice
  • 1 lemon, sliced
  • 1 lime, sliced
  • 1 orange, sliced
  • 1 bottle POM juice

IMG_7971

It was a big hit. Not too sweet which was really nice!

IMG_7975

FOOD, GLO-RIOUS, FOOD!

IMG_8007

Eric made the veggie platter! Crunch, munch, crunch. Plus the gourmet dip (salsa + hummus)- so easy!

IMG_8012   IMG_7952

My Pumpkin Spiced Cinnamon Stix and Creamy Peanut Butter ‘Yogurt’ Dip (left) and Dark Chocolate Peppermint Spelt Cookies + Vegan crackers (right):

IMG_8008   IMG_8011

GLO BARS! They went FAST…I wish I had made more.

IMG_8016   IMG_8017

Our neighbors brought over meatballs, which the men promptly gobbled up. ;) Emily also brought over a Christmas Log Cake!

IMG_8028   IMG_8023

Alex brought Spiced Almonds and a tea towel from her recent trip to Barbados! Unfortunately, Emily, Alex, and Emily’s boyfriend Kyle had to leave early and we forgot to snap some pictures together! Oops!

IMG_8030   IMG_8019

Christmas Glow:

IMG_8003

I also made this centrepiece out of a huge martini glass and bulbs:

IMG_7993

OUTFITS!

Eric bought a green turtleneck and red vest from Value Village (thrift store)! Merry Xmas visor is from Dollarstore.

IMG_7919

He sewed all of the Christmas decals onto the red vest himself!!!!

IMG_7920

Yes, he sewed on santa too!

My outfit was made up of Dollarstore flashing antlers, Dollarstore Xmas earrings + jingle bell ring, OSGMOM’s Christmas sweater, a white v-neck tee, red plaid PJ pants, red nails, and Dollarstore Xmas socks!

IMG_7927

I felt so comfy and fabulously fashionable, of course!!!

Then it was time for door prizes and the male and female winners!

IMG_7939

We had a good turn out…there were about 20 of us throughout the evening! Luckily everyone gathered in the basement, so my main floor still looks CLEAN! ;) Love that.

IMG_7936 IMG_7937

We also had the heat turned down to just 64F so everyone didn’t roast in their sweaters!

IMG_7938

The female winner, Jamie:

IMG_7942

Tacky Awesomeness.

And the male winner, Henrick:

IMG_7941

He’s Swedish and obviously super cool. Best costume ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

The winners posed with their loot! FYI- they are also MARRIED! lol. Could there be a cuter couple!?

Don’t worry it’s FAKE fur! I was glad I didn’t have to go all PETA on her ass. ;)

IMG_7947

Henrick won an Oral-B Pulsonic electric toothbrush. A HUGE thank you to Oral B for donating this fabulous prize for our party! Jaime won a box of candles and a ‘Peace’ 4-hook wall plate (not shown).

IMG_7946

One of the door prizes was a fabulous Jewelry hanger. Carly was over joyed! ;)

IMG_7943

It was such a fun night!

I only had 2 beers the entire night! I think this is the best I have felt after a big party…ever. ;) I definitely don’t drink like I used to. I find as I get older I realize that I don’t need to rely on alcohol to have a good time. Maybe it is just being more comfortable in my own skin?

I’m still fairly tired…didn’t get to bed until 2:30am and Eric not until 4am! lol.

SATURDAY:

• Clean up the huge mess of bottles (boy, those men drink like FISH!)
  • Treadmill hill Workout (GOAL: Speed 4.2, incline 15% for at least 35 mins)
  • Glo Bakery work- I had a huge influx of orders yesterday that need to be prepared to ship out.  Don’t forget if you place an order this weekend, it will ship out first thing Monday morning!
  • Still no word on my CTV interview…bahhhhhh.
  • Laundry/start packing for trip
  • Catch up on emails (I’m SO behind!!!!!!!!!)

Have a LOVELY last weekend before Christmas! HOW IS IT THE 20th TOMORROW?? I just need to buy one gift for Eric and I am done, thankfully!

What about you…do you have many gifts left to buy? Are you a last minute shopper or an early bird?

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Meagan December 19, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Wow that’s the most creative Christmas party I’ve ever seen! Hahah I love the concept… great food and outfits! (Your house looks gorgeous!!)
I have sooo much hopping to do still… ugg I guess I’m a last minute kind’ve girl!

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) December 19, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Nice par-tay girl! I think not needing to drink as much is definitely a sign of feeling comfortable in your own skin. Amen to that. Your house looks huge by the way. What the hells going on with that interview?! They best get on it.

Kristin (Kristins Nibbles) December 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm

How fun! Can I be invited next year? ;)

xo
K

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm

What a party!! You and Eric’s outfits are awesomly hideous ;-) And Eric really sewed on those decals?! I’m impressed. Looks like a really fun party :) And way to not be hungover today! Unfortunately, I can’t same the same about the ugly Christmas sweater party I attended last night…

Morgan @ Life After Bagels December 19, 2009 at 11:29 pm

I’m impressed with your sweaters and vests, etc! Unfortunately I am not done my christmas shopping, and I’m pretty much out of time.

Kristen December 19, 2009 at 11:52 pm

HAHA! I like how you “turned down” your heater to 64! When it’s 64 inside my house the heater goes on to 68!! :D

Whole Body Love December 20, 2009 at 1:10 am

The image of you “going all PETA” on anyone’s ass cracks me up!

Amanda December 20, 2009 at 1:31 am

That party looks awesome! You should all be proud of your ugly sweaters!

MarathonVal December 20, 2009 at 1:58 am

Glad you had a fun party Angela, love your costume! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Jolene December 20, 2009 at 2:44 am

I am done shopping!!!! But the wrapping … oh the wrapping … I have SO much left to do :-)

Katie December 20, 2009 at 2:54 am

Looks like a fab party- I especially love those white moon boots, fancy!

Julie @savvyeats December 20, 2009 at 4:06 am

Seriously, how do you even make an ugly sweater and light-up antlers look cute?

Looks like a fantastic party!

Melinda December 20, 2009 at 8:11 am

The sangria looks awesome. What a cool looking party, I love all the outfits. too funny.

angela @ a healthy fit December 20, 2009 at 9:52 am

Your outfits were great. When we had an ugly sweater party to go to we got plain red & green sweaters and then hot glued everything on. They turned out pretty awesome. Looks like you all had a great time!

The Voracious Vegan December 20, 2009 at 10:24 am

BEST POST EVER! I want to go to an Ugly Christmas Sweater party SO BAD! I have more holiday cheer than I know what to do with.

Looks like you and your friends had a blast! The food looks fantastic and I love all your Christmas decorations. :-)

Susan December 20, 2009 at 11:17 am

Such a great idea to wear Christmas peejays too!! Funny, I don’t need to drink that much anymore either. I thought it was just because I’m old and boring now, but that’s a good point about being more comfortable in your own skin. When I was younger, I neeeeded to have a buzz on to be sociable, but now I’m just chatty without it ;)

bobo December 20, 2009 at 11:58 am

where can you buy ugly christmas sweaters

Erin @ Big Girl Eats December 20, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Oh my god, those two are the best!! That is an awesome couple with some awesome outfits. Love the food/apps recipes too!

Jess (What's Normal, Anyways?) December 20, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Glad your Ugly Christmas Sweater Party was a sucess! I’ve been wanting to have one myself, but I guess I’ll have to wait until next year when my studio is finished! (it’s hard to throw parities when you are a guest in your parent’s home, ya know?).

I didn’t realize how HUGE the UCSP thing was until I was watching CBS’s Sunday Morning today and they had a whole story on all these website that specialize in ugly Christmas sweaters!

Happy Christmas!

skinnyrunner December 20, 2009 at 12:43 pm

hahaha! love all your pictures! what a great idea for a party.
i love that you could have healthy food there as well as party food, great mix!

Penny December 20, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Henrick is totally awesome. :-)
That party looked incredibly fun.

Megan December 20, 2009 at 5:43 pm

ahahha. i’m a little behind on reading your posts, but this party looks just fabulous!! Eric’s visor MADE that outfit haha. sooo funny!

Jenn December 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm

LOL at Eric’s “outfit”. He looks like he could be a greeter for Zellers.

Jennifer December 21, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I love the leopard print on the mittens of your Christmas sweater!!!!