Whittle My Middle In 30 Days

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 11, 2009

I totally let my amazing core work slide when I was busy training for my races over the summer and fall months. Last week, I decided it was time to get back in the game of core work. I was shocked at how much stamina and endurance I had lost in just a few months! I was shaking like a leaf after just 15-20 seconds. My balance also sucks once again.

I would love to improve my core work again and get my toned waist back! I know it’s under there somewhere. ;)

I’m actually a bit strange because I am drawn to core work even though I don’t particularly enjoy it. It is sort of like running, it gets easier and more enjoyable as you improve your endurance. In July, I was rocking out some advanced planks for over 90 seconds.

I am going to run a Whittle My Middle In 30 Days Challenge to myself and any willing participants.

Here is what I will be doing:

CORE WORK: 6-10 minute core workout, 5 days a week, doing the following exercises:

• Plank
  • Side plank
  • Plank with elbows on stability ball
  • Stability Ball Jackknifes
  • Stability ball roll out
  • Plank Rotations

All of the core exercises that I will be doing are found in this video by Turbulance Training:

Excellent, informative, and easy to follow video. Well done!!!!

I will be doing all of the exercises featured in the video.

6-10 minutes a day total, 5 days a week for 1 month. Challenge ends December 10th. Because I will likely find these exercises quite challenging at first, I will probably start off with 6 minutes for the first week or two and work my way up to 10 minutes.

You can participate any way that you want! The point of the challenge is to strengthen our core muscles. Core muscles are an important factor in so many of our daily activities- running, lifting, bending, and even our posture!

~~~~

Looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them.
– Lucy Mand Montgomery

Page 3 of 3«123
Amanda November 11, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I am doing this too! I was thinking the other day that I needed to focus on my abs again, so I started on Monday… but I am going to do your program and see if I get results! I am also bumping up my running. I ran (and walked a bit) for 8.1 miles the other day… A new distance for me! I ran for the majority of it, which is a BIG deal for me!

Hannah November 11, 2009 at 7:16 pm

This is awesome! I have a question though-I just did the video and he only shows the exercises but doesn’t say how long you should hold them or how many reps to do. What are you going to do? I know you said 6 minutes but does that translate into a certain amount of reps/time for each exercise?

[email protected] November 11, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I’m in! Awesome challenge. And thanks for the video. It’s very informative.

andreaRL November 11, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Major lurker, first time poster:)

I’m in too. my abs have seen better days!

Kristy November 11, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I am really excited for this challenge! Like you, I am drawn to core work as well but I have certainly been slacking! Hooray for working hard through the holidays!!

Leah November 11, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I’ve been wanting to do more core work. Ive started doing a little – I’ve been doing the “abs and core” section of my pilates dvd. I wont lie, when I first started doing it, most of my time was spent telling the girl on the screen how much I hated her. But now Im actually starting to like it.

maria November 11, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I’m in! I want a nice firm core so badly. I’m starting to see some ab muscles from doing 30 Day Shred, so it’s super motivating!

Niki (Running In Pink) November 11, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I am definitely in on this challenge! I want a nice flat, firm tummy before I start popping out kiddies. :)

Amy (One Thousand Steps) November 11, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I LOVE core work – it’s so rewarding to spend such a small amount of time and to see results so quickly! Good luck with your challenge – I’ll be crunching and planking along with you, but probably at a slower pace and for a longer period time. ;)

Danielle November 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Count me in! This is just what I needed and I love a challenge. I am a mom of 5 w/ my youngest being 18 months. Needless to say my abs can use some major findings:) Can’t wait to see what I look like in a month!

Lesiie November 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I’m in too!! Thanks for the inspiration!

katie November 11, 2009 at 11:19 pm

i love this idea! i might have to join you in doing this – i also definitely let core and strength training go by the wayside while i was training for my half this summer, and have been struggling to get back into it.

Lindsay (Foodrun) November 12, 2009 at 7:02 am

i don’t have a stability ball, so i’m doing about 4 minutes of planks and this video:

Jess November 12, 2009 at 9:43 am

Sounds like a fun challenge for me. I could use a kick in the pants to get back to core work!

Kaytee November 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’ve been trying to order the variety pack but there seems to be a problem in the store. It keeps saying “not found.”

I love the idea of whittle in the middle, but I’m in a winter shape up challenge right now. Maybe I can do both!

jessica November 12, 2009 at 10:50 am

I’m going to start this tonight!!! I love how you don’t need much equipment. I also love how he can do all the moves flawlessly while I am sure I will be shaking like a leaf after the first move.

Michelle November 12, 2009 at 11:06 am

I love that you posted this challenge! I’m headed to California for Christmas to see some friends I haven’t seen in a couple years, so I started a “great abs by Christmas” challenge for myself almost 2 weeks ago! Sounds like I’ll have some company as I do my crunches and planks! Have you ever tried the P90X Ab Ripper DVD? I used it for the first time yesterday, and my abs are SORE this morning!

Katie O. November 12, 2009 at 11:46 am

Hi Ange- I’m definitely in! :)

Vanessa @ Chic and Charming November 12, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Between the waist whittle and the total body sculpting regimen from this month’s issue of Self magazine, I should be in terrific shape! (No pun intended.)

Cheers to us!

Renee November 12, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I’m so there! I’m a yoga instructor and still need to strengthen my core and improve those planks! What a fun challenge!

Linda November 12, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Ange, thank you for mentioning Remembrance Day!