My Pre-Race ‘What The Heck’ Moment!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 25, 2009

Ok, I am starting to worry now.

As you know, I didn’t run all week to give my legs a break. Well, today I hopped on the treadmill for an easy 2-3 slow miles and I was shocked to find that my legs are STILL tired and slightly sore/uncomfortable. What the heck!?

I ran about 0.4 miles and I decided to stop and walk slowly for about 16-17 minutes because I started to worry.

I really don’t understand why my legs are feeling this way, but this is kind of freaking me out considering that my half is just 1 day away. My guess is that I have come down with something because my muscles in my back have been really stiff for no reason too.

I ended up getting off the treadmill after 20 minutes of light walking.

I am not sure what to think. I guess I will just keep resting until Sunday and hope that this just passes and I feel refreshed come race day.

I hate feeling stressed right before a race. :( I really don’t want to go into this half marathon feeling like I’m not loosened up!

In other non-running aspects, I have been trying to help my body with healthy eats.

Including lots of Green Monsters!

IMG_6382

They always make me GLOW!

~~~~~~

Knee Sleeve Rash Update:

The other day Eric says to me, ‘You know you should really get that rash checked out, it is getting worse.” This is coming from a guy who never goes to the doctor when he is feeling sick. But, he was right. I needed to make the time to visit my doctor to get it checked out. I am the type of person that tends to put off doctor visits until I absolutely have to go!

Before I go to the Dr’s office, I always Google my symptoms first so I am prepared.

This is what the Internet told me it could be:

• Eczema
  • Ring Worm (NOT an actual worm, just a type of fungal infection)
  • Skin Cancer

Don’t you hate Googling things on the internet and you always get one really SCARY result? It makes me so paranoid! I had swollen glands under my arms once and I was convinced it was cancer. I was on edge for 3 days until I could see the doctor!

So anyways, I had my appointment this morning.

One quick look at it Doc said it is eczema!

Apparently my Knee Sleeves have caused the eczema and I now have these red, scaly, highly itchy circles about the size of a dime to a quarter around my knee sleeve zone. It has been driving me crazy the past 1-2 months.

Apparently this steroid cream that he gave me is supposed to clear it up in 10 days (3x daily application!!).

IMG_6423

I would have loved to go the Project Natural Glow route with my treatment, but unfortunately the Coconut Oil did NOT help my condition. I was using it for a good two weeks with no relief. Sometimes a prescription is necessary. I can already tell that the cream is helping which is a good sign.

Doc actually suggested that I start taping my knees instead of wearing the sleeves.

As soon as I get some time I am going to make an appointment with a Physical Therapist. I’d like to learn how to tape my knees and hopefully not have to wear the sleeves anymore. Or better yet, strengthen my leg muscles so I don’t have knee pain at all!

He also reminded me not to over-train. He was happy with me when I told him that I haven’t been running more than 3 days a week most weeks. He said that is the way to go because running is hard on the body as we all know.

Cotton Knee Sleeves:

By the way, I ordered some DONJOY all cotton knee sleeves and they arrived this week. I was sooooo disappointed with them though. They are not even close to supportive enough like my current knee sleeves. In fact, I can barely tell that they are on because they do NOTHING! I have to send these back and get my money back. Which totally sucks because I had to order these from the US and they were NOT cheap!

~~~~

I’m off to work on the online shopping cart for a bit. Friday night will be spent cuddled up with Sketchie, Eric, and some TLC’s Say Yes To The Dress. Addicted to that show!!

Tomorrow will be another segment of my grad school saga as well as showing you my pre-race eats, outfit, and race-kit stuff.

By the way, you can follow me during my half marathon LIVE on Sunday! Go to the homepage on Sunday and look for the link. My race bib number “5443”. :) Oh and Race Time = 7:30am EST. Anyone going to be awake?? haha.

2 more sleeps, let’s hope these legs snap back into action!

Enjoy your night! :)

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
Orla September 26, 2009 at 5:05 am

I can check on you since I’m in Ireland :D Good luck with your race! I was supposed to do a HM at this very moment, but I got sinusitis this week, so kick ass for both of us ;)

btw that’s so weird about your knee. I didn’t know you could DEVELOP excema. Mad.

caitlin September 26, 2009 at 5:26 am

1) you just have pre race nerves. seriously. don’t stress, it’s normal. just take the new few days off from working out entirely (which you should be doing anyways because its a taper) and get a lot of sleep.

2) SUCKS about your knee sleeves. taping is great, its just kind of annoying to have to do it everytime.

3)i went to go to your website this AM and typed in: wwww.angela.com LOL

Susan September 26, 2009 at 6:13 am

Aaah. eczema. I have it under my arms from deodorant. I can’t seem to find one that doesn’t irritate me! (I’ve tried a few natural ones – they quite literally burned my skin off!)

Anyways, the steroid cream does work wonders if you’re religious about applying it. And don’t worry about your stiff legs. Make sure you get a nice long warm-up in before the race on Sunday, and you’ll forget all about it when the gun goes off! :D

P.S. Caitlin’s comment totally made me laugh!

Shannon September 26, 2009 at 8:23 am

My legs were feeling really heavy when I went out to run last week. I told myself to just get through 3 miles, but by the time I got to 3, I was feeling great. Ended up running 13.1 that day! Sometimes it’s just getting past that initial threshold. You’ll do great. You’re ready!

deisegirl September 26, 2009 at 10:32 am

Urgh, Googling symptoms is just the worst! It’s nearly always Cancer :(

Michele September 26, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Hey Angela – I’m no doctor by any means but may be the queen of eczema :( I used to get it horribly on my hands and NOTHING cleared it up – not even steroids. Amazingly I found this otc cream called Amlactin XL and it was pure magic – no joke. So if it doesn’t go away within the 10 days, try Amlactin XL (there are other Amlactin creams, but i dont think they work as well). good luck with the race (and the rash!!)

Carrie September 26, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hey Angie! Good luck on your race today!!! You’ll do great!

Just wanted to give my two cents about the steroids – I have had sensitive skin problems all my life and my doctors have prescribed many steroid creams and a couple times even steroid pills! They have advserse effects that I am now dealing with and I’m not sure if he told you that they do thin the skin. You might try a very mild OTC hydro-cortisone cream before the Rx. It is much less damaging and your skin won’t have to go through so much stress to heal.

Just a tip!
Thanks,
Carrie

Carrie September 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Oh! And another thing I just thought of – many times when sweat and friction and constriction mix it equals a mild fungal infection (think diaper rash). So I just thought of something natural for you – ZINC OXIDE. It is mainly zinc and definitely cure diaper rash and anytime I get rashes from sweating too much from my sports bra – I totally use that and it works. Oh the joys of working out and sweating! :) :)

Caroline September 26, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Could you use the cotton sleeves under your regular one? They would probably be easier on your skin…

Christina September 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Good luck tomorrow!! I think it’s awesome that you’re doing a half :)

I also wanted to suggest asking about a Pattela Strap as an easier alternative to taping. I was fitted for them way back to wear during basketball as an alternative to my bulkier brace and I’m using them again now that I’m starting to run. They might not be for you but I thought I’d suggest them!

Lori September 26, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Shea butter is really good for eczema. I also have it on my knees
Good luck on your race

Tammy Root December 4, 2009 at 9:29 pm

HI Angela,
I LOVE your website! I found it through one of my magazines. There was a piece about healthy eating and I liked your ideas so I logged onto your website. I actually do research on eating disorders and reading your blog was very enlightening and hopeful. Also, I am training for a half marathon and have NEVER run in my life! Your blog has inspired me so much and given me so many great ideas for training and eating healthy. I have already tried several of your recipes and tips for training. With that said, I was wondering what brand of knee sleeves you use. I am having some trouble with my knees and I remember you saying they helped so much. Thanks so much!
Tammy
P.S. Congrats on your interview today! I am in the US but I plan to download the interview!