My Fitness Bucket List

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 28, 2009

bike_bucket_black_large copy

[I had way too much fun with Photoshop yesterday.]

Recently on Twitter, Fit Bottomed Girls posted a link to this article by Steve Ruiz on his compilation of a fitness bucket list. If you have seen the movie Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, you know what I’m talking about.

A bucket list is essentially a list of all the things you want to accomplish before you, ahem, kick the bucket.

Some of the things Steve wrote on his fitness bucket list were bench pressing 300 pounds, hiking to the summit of a mountain, and running a marathon in Greece.

The best part of this list is that it can be as crazy and as ‘out there’ as you want to make it. It is your list and you can write any crazy fitness goal you have ever dreamed of!

Of course, I was super, super excited to make my own fitness bucket list!!

Being a visual person, I knew I wanted something I could put up on the wall to motivate and inspire me.

I printed off this image of a bucket onto cardstock. Click image for the full size and you can save it to your desktop. Print away.

b8935a3e-152f-49c3-880f-e8729a14f34f After printing on cardstock, I took a pair of scissors and made a slit in the top of the bucket going horizontally. After that, I taped a piece of paper on the backside of the bucket. The paper will catch the list item that you stick through the slit.

Then I typed up and printed off the list items and I cut them up into long strips. Finally, I printed a title for my bucket and taped that on.

Voila…my very own real life fitness bucket list:

IMG_2956

Here are the fitness things I want to do before I kick the bucket!! ;)

IMG_2957

My list:

• Run half marathon
  • Run sub 2hr half marathon
  • Climb Canadian Rockies
  • Take yoga class in yoga studio
  • Indoor rock climbing
  • Run marathon
  • Outdoor rock climbing
  • Sky dive
  • 25 regular push-ups without stopping
  • Sail on a catamaran
  • Learn how to scuba dive
  • Run a race in a foreign country
  • Organize a huge charity run with bloggers/readers

Once I accomplish goals on my list, I am going to pull out the strip and staple/tape it to the side of the bucket.

IMG_2955

I put it on beside my desk so I can see it each and every day to motivate me to stay on the right fitness track. I think this will be especially motivating once winter hits! It puts a big smile on my face when I look at it and imagine myself doing all of those things.

What would your fitness bucket list say? In other words, if you knew you could NOT fail, what would you do?

Angela_Signature

Practice hope. As hopefulness becomes a habit, you can achieve a permanently happy spirit.

~Norman Vincent Peale

Page 2 of 2«12
RunToTheFinish August 28, 2009 at 3:07 pm

what an interesting idea.. I have an overall life list, but never thought of just fitness wise.. hmm I will have to really think about this to give a good answer!

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) August 28, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Love this idea!! I would like to qualify for the Boston Marathon (and then run it!) and ride my bike across the country.

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) August 28, 2009 at 3:34 pm

LOVE THIS SO MUCH ANGELA!

Mine include:

– Run a marathon (on October 4th, woowoo!)
– Complete a triathlon
– Become a certified yoga teacher
– Do 10 pull-ups
– Hike one of the major trails in the world (Appalachian, Inca, Machu Picchu, Camino de Santiago in Spain)
– Keep up a lifelong love of fitness

[email protected] August 28, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Running in another country is one of mine. There is the Connemarathon in my hubbie’s native Ireland which has been on my list for awhile.

Christine August 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Love this idea!

Christina August 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I love how creative you are with your bucket list! Here’s mine:
-Run a half marathon
-Learn to scuba dive
-Practice yoga consistently
-Complete a sprint triathlon
-Horseback ride across another country

Suzanne August 29, 2009 at 1:08 am

Fun! I’ll pick FIVE:
-Already scuba certified but would like to go in dives in as many places as possible, especially Belize, Mauritius, and Greece!
-Do a handstand
-Go on a yoga retreat in a tropical setting, perhaps Costa Rica!
-Run a half marathon, one that is for a charity for women or for animals.
-Finish a triathlon in CA and CO

Suzanne August 29, 2009 at 1:09 am

Fun! I’ll pick FIVE:
-Already scuba certified but would like to go on dives in as many places as possible, especially Belize, Mauritius, and Greece!
-Do a handstand!
-Go on a yoga retreat in at least one tropical setting, my top pick is Costa Rica!
-Run a half marathon, one that is for a charity for women or for animals.
-Finish a triathlon in CA and CO

Michelle August 29, 2009 at 11:42 am

Hello Angela!
I just came across your blog and love it! This is such a fun post (and yes, isn’t photoshop so wonderful – the things you can do?!)

A couple I can think of for my fitness “bucket”:
– Rock climbing
– A fitness/spa getaway, maybe for my 40th w/ girlfriends?
– This one is crazy but walk the Great Wall of China w/ my mom (her dream is to see it)

Have a great weekend!

Sana August 29, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Wow! what a lovely idea!
1) Get injury free!
2) Learn how to swim
3) Learn how to ballroom dance ( Dancing with the Stars)
4) Run a 1/2 marathon!

Tay August 30, 2009 at 12:12 am

Oh how inspiring!!

1. Run a marathon in every state (HA! This is if I could not fail at all).

2. Climb Half Dome

3. Run a sub 4 hr marathon

4. Complete a triathalon.

5. Run a long relay race

Marie August 30, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Love this and I have already made mine and put it in my fitness journal.

Some of mine are
Run 1st 5K
Run 1st 10K
Run 1/2 marathon in fall 2010
Have “Runner Legs”
Do 20 “Real” push ups
Learn to dive:)
Learn to do cartwheel :)

Love your blog:)

Jess August 31, 2009 at 5:50 am

There’s really too many possibilities to name, but these are the big ones on my list for the next two years:

– Run a marathon
– Run a sub-4hr marathon
– Complete a half-Ironman
– Complete the Canadian Death Race
– Trek through Nepal to Everest Base Camp
– Complete a full Ironman
– Do a cross-country bike trip (that country might not be Canada)
– Golf a sub-100 18-hole game (pathetic, I know)
– Run with little to no knee pain

Jenny Eastwood September 2, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Heyya! I think this fitness bucket list is an excellent idea.
And also i think you’re more than capable of achieving everything you have on your list :)

For mine it would be something like this:
1. Start doing weights regularly at the gym.
2. Take up boxing
3. Learn to surf
4. Do yoga everyday for at least 30 minutes
5. Win school cross country
6. Scuba dive
7. Run a half marathon
8. Run a full marathon
9. Do a triathlon
10. At some stage in my life, become a yoga instructor.

Abby September 18, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I am so with you on this list! You can totally do it! Except the scuba diving..I’m scared on water creatures. :o)

Annette Renee White December 19, 2009 at 11:30 am

Great Entry! Having a bucket list has changed my life and made me experience so many new things. I even started blogging about it!http://mslistologist.com/

Todd March 16, 2010 at 12:13 am

What an outstanding idea. I love it!

Roxy Salomon May 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Hello there, I couldn’t see a way to email you, and so I really hope that you see this comment. I own a website about ladies wetsuits, and thought you would like to exchange links with me. I have entered my contact address in case you would like to get in contact. Thanks.

clay June 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Hey if any of you need assistance training for a bucket list event send me an email. Your first workout is free!

Lauren June 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Here are some of mine:

1. Qualify for the Boston Marathon
2. Complete a 90 day bikram challenge
3. Open my own bikram studio (HUGE dream of mine)
4. Complete a triathlon

Thanks for putting this out there! Looks like everyone is enjoying themselves thinking of the possibilities!