Glow With Coconut Oil

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 19, 2009

img-9626copy-thumb

I keep discovering more and more ‘beauty’ uses for coconut oil!

IMG_2374

I now use coconut oil for the following:

• Nighttime eye moisturizer

So luxurious and way cheaper than pricey eye creams on the market.

• Shave Oil

An all natural way to replace that mystery gel/foam lurking in your shower- makes my legs really soft!

• Body moisturizer

I’ve been doing this for a few months now and I will never go back to regular moisturizing lotion again.

• Knee Sleeve barrier

My knee sleeves have been irritating the skin beneath it (red, itchy bumps) so I have been putting a bit of coconut oil on my knees before putting them on to reduce inflammation. I am not sure yet if it works, but I will report back after a week or so.

• Frizz Tamer

A reader told me that they use a tiny bit of coconut oil to tame their flyaways, and I must say it works fabulous. Remember- less is more with coconut oil, so you only need the tiniest bit!

• Intense Foot Cream

I put some on last night and then put some socks on and when I took them off my feet were super smooth and no more dryness!

~~~~~~~~

Today’s question:

How do you use coconut oil? Share your secrets below! I’m sure there are hundreds more uses for it.

Angela_Signature

See you tonight for a special fitness post!

Page 2 of 2«12
Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Alyssa- You can refrigerate it if you find that it is melting on you. I find on hot days mine gets liquidy, but then it solidifies again the next day. You don’t have to worry about it going bad though- its fine left out to melt and does not affect the quality of the oil.

Sara August 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm

It tastes AMAZING on popcorn!! I melt a SMALL amount and put it on plain popcorn with a little bit of salt – oh my goodness it’s the best :)

Jen August 20, 2009 at 12:01 am

Hi

I use coconut oil in cooking (makes the best dairy free carrot cake) and also to moisturise my knees and elbows.

Also, a bit of naughty info I found while looking up coconut oil last year – it can be used as a lumbricant just not with condoms – see it has many amazing uses.

Matt (No Meat Athlete) August 20, 2009 at 6:22 am

Great post! It’s so awesome that one oil can do all this great stuff. I wonder how it works for shaving (face, not legs :)). Maybe I’ll try it one day when I have nothing to do for a few days, just in case some disaster results!

Anyway, my use for coconut oil isn’t anything too crazy, but it’s delicious for frying plantains and also in homemade sports drinks!

Michelle August 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I just stumbled onto your site last week and LOVE it! I like that you write about lots of different things, rather than just food. And I like the pics of Sketchie. :)

I have a question about coconut oil though. I’ve been reading about it on a bunch of blogs the last few weeks and was pretty excited about trying it out, and was stoked to find some at Walmart for only $6. I don’t know if I bought the right stuff, but mine has 12g of saturated fat and almost 150 calories per serving (which is 1 tbsp I think). Mine doesn’t have anything about being organic or extra virgin on the label. It says that it’s 100% pure and all-natural, but how can all that saturated fat be healthy? Did I get the wrong stuff? Or did I just get crappy quality coconut oil?

Jess August 20, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Angela,

What’s the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter?I found a recipe that calls for both, so now I”m confused. I thought it was the same thing – only whether it was liquid or not.

It is great for curly hair – I have super curls and always feel frizzy, but now they are tame!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2009 at 10:34 am

Michelle- You definitely want to buy the non hydrogenated, virgin, and organic coconut oil if you can. The saturated fat isn’t unhealthy in this case because studies show that the saturated fat from fruit is not the unhealthy kind like from animal products (and doesn’t negatively impact ones health). Coconut oil has been shown to do wonders for one’s health in so many areas (just google it). My organic stuff has 100 cals per tablespoon (similar to any other oil). Coconut oil is very heat stable so it makes an excellent cooking and frying oil. It has a smoke point of about 360° F (180° C)- unlike other oils like olive oil which break down during cooking.
Enjoy!

Jess- Coconut butter has the coconut meat mixed in it (and I think it is higher in pro and fibre but dont quote me on this!)

dipti August 22, 2009 at 6:33 am

Being from South of India, coconut forms a staple in our diet as well as in our beauty regimes. One of the way we use coconut oil, is to warm it up & then apply it once a week at night to our hair overnight & we then wash it off the next morning. It has effectively been proven to prevent premature graying.
Another customary thing we do is, whenever anyone is down with any illness, you will find them sipping on water from tender coconuts. You will see the person up & about in 3 days time. We also use coconut flesh to make spreads for sandwiches etc.The benefits of coconut are too many to list :)

Eliana August 22, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Love your blog!

My friend Misti (www.oceanicwilderness.com) introduced me to it, and I am glad she did.

I love these tips on coconut, I will look for it at whole foods.

Thanks.

Eliana >^..^<

Kim from Milwaukee August 24, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Coconut oil is a fat that does not get stored in your body, rather it is used immediately for fuel, so you will not gain weight when you consume it. It’s great for cooking, as it has a high scorch temp, like olive oil. Makes a wonderful substitute for shortening in pie crust recipes as well.

The organic coconut oil will smell like coconuts. If yours does not, then it’s a low grade form of coconut oil, and it’s been over processed and bleached, so you won’t get the benefits that you would from organic, cold-processed coconut oil.

Coconut milk is also a wonderful substitute for milk in your smoothies. It has the natural oil in it already, so you’ll get the thermogenic benefits.

Green Your Life! September 3, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Make your own DIY coconut lip balm by using coconut oil and beeswax. Simply melt both in microwave and put in lip balm tube. Google for an online recipe. You can also make coconut lip gloss by simply using coconut oil and Jojoba oil..google for recipe.

TO EAT DAILY: Liquify a little and drizzle on your stove-top popcorn along with a few shakes of sea salt. Yum!

Carrie September 29, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I meant to comment on this post WAYYYYYY back. Anyways, obviously it’s hard to travel with a big jug of CO, so I like to melt it into chapstick containers that you can buy at craft stores and throw a couple in my purse so I can use it as a lotion during the day when I’m out. Great for traveling, too!

Kimberly December 20, 2009 at 5:06 pm

My eyelashes have grown SO MUCH since I started putting this on my eyes at night before bed. I actually just use it to remove makeup and I don’t rinse any excess oil off. My eyelashes are all long and curly now! I never expected that but it’s been a nice side effect!

Erica January 14, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I make my own soaps and shampoos, and organic coconut oil has been a real boom for me! It is moisturizing, all natural, and smells great! Not to mention I get a great deal by buying in bulk online!

Bulk Organic Coconut Oil

Sri May 20, 2010 at 5:47 am

When you said you use coconut oil as a moisturizer, do you put in on in the mornings too before stepping out? And it doesn’t get on to your clothes? I’m from Kerala in India where coconut oil is the easiest available and cheapest oil. I use it as a hair pack before shampooing. I live in Germany now and do have issues with dry skin so was wondering about its use as a moisturizer.

coconut oil for skin September 25, 2010 at 2:24 am

Would any one on the site be able to suggest any ways that have helped them improve their skin?

Gabrielle Koeppel March 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

Angela, have you ever heard of or tried oil pulling with coconut oil? I first heard of this earlier this week on Mind Body Green’s website/facebook page. I am curious your thoughts. Here is the link: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7857/why-you-should-start-oil-pulling-today.html. I have tried it two mornings in a row. It is pretty disgusting feeling and tasting but bearable. Not sure it is worth it.

Your website and facebook postings are fantastic. I really appreciate your writing, recipes and fitness ideas. In fact, I am eating banana peanut butter oatmeal this morning (I used almond butter instead) and contemplating a boredom busting workout on the treadmill later. Thank you. gabi

Suzytunes August 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Wow! I’ve never read so much about coconut oil!! A ton of fabulous information & ideas listed here! So glad I found you by way of Ask.com.

Denni March 12, 2014 at 10:46 am

I use it as eye make up remover. It lasts forever (because you only need a little) and I feel safe putting it near my eyes. So, peace of mind and no raccoon eyes the following morning after washing my face/showering :)

John Marris June 10, 2016 at 12:14 am

I use coconut oil for as a hair mask.Will you believe it really works and gave good results.Moreover,it has many benefits in cooking,massaging,moisturizing,makeup removing etc. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew V August 10, 2016 at 11:04 am

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it but it can also be used as a sexual lubricant. I know not exactly the forum for it but it works very well. My wife recently went through menopause and had trouble lubricating naturally. We read up on the issue and discovered a lot of people use it for just that, thought I’d pass it on :)