Working Out: In A Dress?!

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 29, 2009

Happy Monday everyone!

Thanks for all of your comments on North America’s Healthiest Cities post this morning! I must say I have a huge desire to visit Victoria and Ann Arbor now! :D

My gosh I have been so busy the past while! Not that I am complaining, but I can hardly keep up!!! Yesterday I put in a 15 hour day on Glo Bakery and OSG- baking orders, paperwork, and preparing Summer Glow Boot Camp for its’ launch on Wednesday!! Exciting stuff :D Today I have another busy day. I have already done 2 orders and I have a bunch more on the docket for the next few days!

fitness

Yesterday’s workout was AWESOME!!!!

I turned on the TV and Perfect Stranger with Halle Berry was on, so I decided to watch that. Here I was thinking that I was going to watch a ‘light romance’ movie- boy was I wrong!!! lol. That movie was messed up! I guess it didn’t help that I started watching it half way through. :) The good news is that it was so suspenseful that it made my workout FLY by. I had only planned on doing 30 mins or so but it quickly turned into 1 hour so I could finish the movie!

The workout:

• Duration: 60 mins
  • Treadmill hill walking: First 15 mins at 4.1 mph, incline 15%, 40 mins at 4.2 mph, incline 15%, and the last 5 mins was at speed 3.5 mph incline 15%
  • Max heart rate: 166 bpm
  • Avg heart rate: 151 bpm
  • Distance: 4.11 miles

After every 10 minutes I did CORE work!!

Here I am doing my favourite waist whittler!!! Twisting Advanced side planks!!! I can actually feel my ab muscles ‘crunching’ as I do this workout. It sorta feels like someone if wringing your waist like a wash cloth…LOL…but that is the beauty of it- it is SO effective. I have noticed a huge improvement in my middle since doing this move! My middle has toned up even more since the end of the BBBC!

I did about 3 sets of 1 min each per side. I also did some scissor ab moves (1 set).

Here I am just covered in sweat!

IMG_8362

The whittler…

IMG_8363My arms are really sore today from these side planks!

Not sure what is on the workout agenda for today. It might be an off day since I am so busy and we are having a BBQ party with about 6 other friends tonight!

I am still considering running in a 5k race on Wednesday morning! :)

food

Last night Eric and I tried out the new SOL veggie burgers!!!

IMG_8224

I don’t know why, but I thought that these were going to taste horrible!!

IMG_8388

Each burger has about 15 grams of protein in it and just over 100 calories! Not too shabby!

I added some healthy fats to my meal by adding 1/2 avocado and 1 huge scoop of my favourite hummus:

IMG_8399IMG_8396

My dinner:

IMG_8408

Along with some frozen veggies that I steamed. I included some PC frozen Edamame beans! This was the first time I have ever tried these beans before! They were yummy!

1 cup has 17 grams of protein and 8 grams of fibre!

IMG_8409

My burger was nothing short of mind-blowing delicious!!!

IMG_8416

I was very impressed with these SOL burgers! They had a nice texture too! And guess what? Eric DEVOURED his! He liked them better than the Money’s Veggie Burgers (although he loves those too!).

My new Twenty Valley Wine Glass from the 10k race!

IMG_8402

IMG_8411

Dessert was a cup full of delicious blueberries!

IMG_8376

Here are some pictures of some of the delicious baking I did yesterday!

I was successful in making gluten-free brownies!!! It was my first attempt ever at making something gluten-free and I was so scared. It wasn’t so bad though! Nothing a little gluten-free flour and xanthum gum couldn’t fix! ;) I was impressed with the flour I bought…it didn’t have an overly ‘beany’ taste like some of the bean flours do.

‘One Glo-ing Bite’ Walnut and Chocolate Chip Gluten-free brownies:

IMG_8305

And Glo Ginger cookies:

IMG_8329 IMG_8333

Today was all about my On The Glo II bars!!! I have a ton of orders for these this week. Don’t forget they are 25% today!!

freeforall

1. I still can’t sleep longer than 7 hours! What the heck!

2. Check out the renos Eric did on the house this weekend over at Soup Up My House

3. Summer Glow Boot Camp is COMING!!! Wednesday July 1, 2009!! You won’t believe the awesome prizes we have up for grabs!!! Over $1000 worth of prizes to be won!

3asdsd copy

Today’s Clue:

Do you like to plan in advance? Well, this challenge is for you- mark your ‘calendars’!

4. You can follow me all day on Twitter to see what I am up to!! Expect lots of Twit-pics! ;)

5. I was scoping out the Lululemon website this morning trying to find the name of my shorts for a reader. I came across their newRunning Dress’:

Untitleddddddddddddddd

This is what they say about it:

“Sassy and sporty…the perfect technical combo!

Run, play tennis, hit the gym — there’s nothing you can’t do in this dress”

Now I am sure we have all seen how crazy popular running skirts are nowadays! But I have never heard of a running dress before! What do you think of this? Do you think it will catch on?

Personally I can’t see myself wearing one!! But I guess I shouldn’t knock it til I try it! ;)

What do you think? Would you wear it?? Would you wear it to a gym??

Angela_Signature

Page 2 of 2«12
nicole- chasing blue June 29, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I have a Skirt Sports running dress! Plus like 8 running skirts.

I love the coverage you get in a skirt plus you don’t have the short wedge to deal with!

I can’t wait for summer glow bootcamp!

jen June 29, 2009 at 5:30 pm

i have that exact dress i black and its great, its so easy to move in and made of a great breathable fabric! and its a slim enough fit that it won’t flip up in the wind, but still moveable. the only downside is that its only good for activities that require you to be in a standing position, unless you wear some shorts underneath

MarathonVal June 29, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Are you going to post any of the recipes for the taste treats? I just dont think it’s fair to show us the mouthwatering pix but not to tell us how to make them! :) Especially since I’m in the US and cant buy yours yet!!

amy (veganissexy) June 29, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Girl! You have to check out my post today on Victoria! Crazy…we just got back from our anniversary weekend there and I can tell you it was so super amazing. Hotels are cheap…food is freakin amazing….so so so many good veg options! You should definitely go. It is so beautiful…and there are really good running trails all along the waterfront. Gorgeous :)

Jocelyn June 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm

HI Angela…I am so excited about these baked goodies lol It will be nice to know i will be eating something healthy but *treatish*..being at a camp all day..i feel like a treat..but it has to be healthy! :) I’m already doing amy’s 15 week challenge..but maybe I can do yours too!

Randi June 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I probably would not wear a workout dress unless I was playing tennis. I do have several running skirts that I have worn at my marathons. Love those!

Question, have you posted the recipe for your ginger cookies? They look SO good!

Beth @ CrossBorderCravings June 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Hi Angela! I was so excited when Aaron told me you had stopped by to check out our blog! We are HUGE OhSheGlows fans! You are such an inspiration to us – keep up the good work!!

– Beth

Barbara June 29, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Hi Angela:)

I have about 4 running skirts that I wear all the time for outdoor sports and gymtime. They have shorts underneath so I’m never overly exposed although I DO get some interesting looks. They make me feel a little sexier when I work out and well….ever little bit of self confidence helps…right?

So…YES, I’d wear the running dress. Why not!

B

Faith June 29, 2009 at 7:15 pm

That looks like an excellent workout! I love it when the workout flies by!

Thanks for the veggie burger review, I’m going to look for that brand at the store. (The last Gardenburger I had tasted a little off, so I’ve been looking for a good brand!)

Kristen June 29, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Canada day races are a lot of fun- I say go for it!

N.D. June 29, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Can you remember wearing a dress running, no way!! that is so exciting you are getting so many orders! so happy for you.

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) June 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Those burgers are such a cute shape! Like flowers, or maybe clouds :)

The Running Yogini June 29, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I’m not a big fan of skirts in general, but when I tried out my first running skirt I loved it and became a total addict. The skirts I wear have compression shorts underneath so for me its like getting to wear tight short, but have an extra layer covering my front and back. Bonus! I’m sure I’d love a running dress too, but they’re more expensive than the skirts…

Christina June 29, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I think the dress is cute! I probably wouldn’t wear it to the gym but I could definitely see myself playing tennis in it or speed walking outside.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Awesome looking brownies! What is the flour blend made of? You rock my socks with your gluten free goodness!

Samantha June 29, 2009 at 11:15 pm

This is probably a stupid question but when you do your incline walks on the treadmill, do you hold on at all? I’ve the 15% incline at 4.0mph several times and like it, but I’m only 4’11” and just can’t walk that fast without holding a little. Would I be better served to slow the pace down a little and not hold?

Leah @ Simply Fabulous June 30, 2009 at 2:17 am

I’m such a huge fan of that ab workout. I think it works SO much. Great pics!

MizFit June 30, 2009 at 6:40 am

LOVE the pictures!!!

I did a review of a running dress once…a video.
My conclusion? notsomuch for me. for running anyway :)
for lolling about? hell yes!

Alex June 30, 2009 at 7:56 am

l.o.v.e running in skirts with built in shorts, but meethinks that the dress would be more like a long shirt- I’d still slip shorts on underneath! Can’t be showing off all that my momma gave me!

charlene June 30, 2009 at 9:03 am

I couldn’t wear a dress working out..LOL. I would feel ridiculous. maybe if I played tennis!

I love planks, they are very effective. Great posts! I will be adding you to my list..I love your blog!

Char

carolinebee June 30, 2009 at 9:55 am

those burgers are such a funny shape lol! I think grilling them + avocado + hummus + fluffy bun = added deliciousness :D I don’t think I could wear a dress to the gym, but it’s cuuute! I feel like it would attract unwelcome attention on a walk or something.

Madelin @ What is for breakfast? June 30, 2009 at 10:21 am

I definately wouldn’t wear the dress! Although it does look cute, I just can’t see how it would be comfy? Your burger looks yum, especially the avocado!

Fitzalan June 30, 2009 at 10:55 am

I really don’t think I would wear it. Mainly because I just don’t think it is me. Wearing a dress while going for a run just isn’t my personality. I don’t really care to look that cute when I workout. I want to look good, yes, but my main focus is on the workout, not on how I look. And I wouldn’t want other people to think that cared what I was looking like.

Did that make any sense? :)

Happiness Awaits

EL June 30, 2009 at 11:33 am

I love my running skirts, but I do not see me running in a dress. I would though wear the dress to lounge in or run errnds.

Shan June 30, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Hi Angela,

Question!!!

When I do the side planks I find my elbow (of the supporting arm) gets REALLY sore after about 30sec!

Am I not positioned properly? Does this ever happen to you? Any suggestions for combating the problem?

Thanks, Shan

Ashley July 4, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I just discovered the SOL veggie burgers too and quite like them! I really don’t like most commercial veggie burgers. There’s one out there that’s sun dried tomato and something that’s good though. I can’t remember who makes it – maybe Garden Burger? It has brown rice in it too.