Flax & Oat Breakfast Power Muffins

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 17, 2009

Good morning everyone!

I am so excited! This morning was my first morning getting out of bed pain free!!! I hope this is true, but I really feel like my body is doing an awesome job healing itself. Each day feels so much better. I even did some light stretching this morning. That felt really good. It must be all that wonderful food I am eating! Speaking of which….

Last night I set out to make super duper healing power muffins.

These muffins aren’t for the faint of heart.

I call them a power breakfast muffin because they pack a huge, and I mean huge, nutritional punch, giving you a great start to the day.

[print_this]

• 1/4 cup non-packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup freshly grounded flax seed
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 6 muffin tins.
  2. Mash banana into a medium sized bowl.
  3. Beat in oil, egg, and brown sugar.
  4. Grind 1/2 cup flax in a blender for a couple min.
  5. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (Oats, grinded flax, whole wheat flour, baking soda).
  6. Add dry ingredients into wet and stir. Do not over mix.
  7. Add nuts or dark chocolate chips if preferred.
  8. Spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 min.
Nutritional Profile (per muffin):
200 calories
9 grams of healthy fats (from flax and olive oil!)
6 grams fibre
6.5 grams of protein

[/print_this]

img_4264

With Earth Balance oozing off the side:

img_42821

Eric’s muffin with chocolate chips:

img_4284

These are not your typical sugar-laden muffins! That is why I think they are the perfect breakfast muffin, because who really wants something super sweet in the morning? Not me.

Now for the good stuff:

Nutritional Profile (per muffin):

200 calories
9 grams of healthy fats (from flax and olive oil!)
6 grams fibre
6.5 grams of protein

WOW!!!! Awesome.

Did I mention there is over 1 Tablespoon of flax PER muffin? That is a whopping 2.5 grams of Alpha-Linolenic Acid (aka Omega-3’sper muffin!

I had two last night. :D

Maybe that’s what healed me overnight??? lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looky what I had to do:

img_4288

Normally having a workout machine in plain view is a good thing. This week, not so much. Poor treadmill. It’s getting cold!! I feel like turning it on just to give it some love. haha. Sketchie likes sitting on it in the sun though.

(I can see this treadmill from my DESK! How is that for torture?!)

Stay tuned for the Honest Foods contest giveaway at 4pm EST today!!!!! And the next contest announcement!

PS- We watched Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood last night. All I can say is WOW.

PSS- I am adding Honeymoon pictures to my wedding page. The honeymoon pictures are at the bottom of the wedding pics. Last night I did the first installment for Venice, and I will be adding cities over the next week or so. Check it out!

If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don’t be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning ‘Good morning’ at total strangers.
~
Maya Angelou

Page 2 of 2«12
Emelia May 24, 2015 at 10:13 pm

This is a great recipe! I was searching for something that I can take with me on my travels, so I can eat a breakfast that packs a punch. I put oats in a food processor to use as oat flour as a sub for the whole wheat flour, sub honey for the brown sugar, and added a 1/2 cup of freshly ground peanut butter! Yep, peanut butter! :) I am very happy with the results and will continue tweaking and playing around with this recipe, thank you very much!

Tina June 30, 2015 at 5:41 am

These turned out great!! I made them in smaller tins, so i could eat them more often throughout the day ;) They are also great for lactation btw because of the flaxseed and oats!! They certainly helped me!! Great recipe!!

Amanda January 2, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Quick question about the oats – can I use quick cooking oats or do I need to use the traditional ones? Thanks!

Jg April 3, 2016 at 9:58 am

Best recipe ever. Everyone loves these muffins!!! I can’t seem to keep enough made. Even kids like them. One modification no wheat flour. I use Raisin Bran! Yum. Thanks!

Liv Toepfer January 15, 2017 at 10:30 am

Do you have any tips on making these Vegan? Will they work without the egg? Do I need to make any adjustments to any other ingredients?

Angela Liddon February 22, 2017 at 8:48 am

Hi Liv, Wow, this recipe’s an oldie! Haha. You can try a vegan egg replacer, or a chia or flaxseed egg. If you do, please let me know how it goes! Also, be sure to check out my more recent, plant-based muffin and quickbread recipes here: http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/breakfast/breakfast-muffins-squares-qbreads/

Michelle February 6, 2017 at 9:55 pm

I am absolutely not a baker at all (not exaggerating here) but these looked easy and I am a new vegan and don’t like super sweet breakfast stuff so I decided to give it a try. I am completely OBSESSED with these muffins. I’ve now made them 3 weeks in a row. I’ve followed the recipe exactly, with a water/flax – egg substitution (cause vegan), and they taste so freaking good. I feel like wow, I am an awesome baker, lol. Actually its just a really good recipe. Oh and I always add chopped pecans and a bunch of cinnamon, cause its so good for you, and I think this recipe is so versatile if you want to try different flavors, although no need, cause the original is the bomb.

Thank you for sharing this!

Angela Liddon February 8, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Hi Michelle, I’m so thrilled this recipe was a hit for you! And I’m glad you’re having fun playing with the flavours, too. You’re right — they’re so versatile!

Laine April 5, 2017 at 6:01 am

Hi from Indonesia where I live. I tried your recipe and the muffins came out like toasted muesli. What did I do wrong? A few held but most just crumbled to the touch…. I am NOT much of a baker but that never stopped me from trying! Help!

Angela Liddon April 20, 2017 at 8:37 am

Hi there Laine, I’m so sorry to hear you had trouble with your muffins! Admittedly, it’s been a long while since I’ve made this recipe. Is it possible there was a mis-measurement made that could have thrown off your ratio of dry to wet ingredients? Or maybe the muffins got a bit overbaked? I hope the muesli was still tasty!

T.N. October 9, 2017 at 10:10 am

Our family has multiple food sensitivities, so I’m so glad I found such a great muffin recipe. Of course I had to tweak it for our needs, but they were delish! A new family favorite for sure!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2017 at 1:51 pm

So happy it worked (with your tweaks, to boot!) Enjoy :)