Light and Energizing Recipes to Kick Off 2018

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been taking my sweet ol’ time easing into 2018! After our family’s holiday adventures, I knew I needed to slow down and approach the first week of the year rather gently. This meant extra-cozy evenings spent baking cookies, cancelling morning workout classes, nighttime lounge sessions watching hockey, and sleeping in as long as the kids would allow (spoiler: not very long, lol). Now that things are settling back into a routine, I’m looking for a little healthy recipe inspo and thought I’d share what I have in mind. Please let me know below if there’s anything I didn’t mention here that you plan to make in the coming weeks! I hope this post can serve as healthy plant-powered recipe inspiration for your start to the new year as well. Oh, and in case you missed it, don’t forget to check out my first recipe post of 2018! It’s a refreshing one!

1. 8-Minute Pantry Dal

4. Coconut Chia Seed Pudding — Oh She Glows Every Day, p. 67
5. Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars
6. Apple Pie Oatmeal

1 cadbull January 9, 2018

Thanks for sharing

2 Jane January 9, 2018

Thank you Angela :) The flu-fighter sunshine smoothie is so yummy and is really helping me get over my cold. On another note, words cannot even express my gratitude for you and your gift of creating such amazing recipes. We own both of your cookbooks and have made about 75% of the recipes in each. I have never owned such well-loved and well-used cookbooks. Every time we make one of your recipes we high five (yes, we are dorks) and are always so impressed! You are a master at your craft! Happy 2018! May it be filled with peace, love and happiness :)

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 9, 2018

Jane, I’m so floored by your kind words..thank you very much for all your support! I’m so flattered that you’ve made and enjoyed so many of my recipes…how cool is that?! Thanks so much for trying them…it’s why I do what I do, and to hear that directly is really rewarding. All the best to you and your fam in 2018!

4 Naja Spanner January 11, 2018

Hi Angela,
I second this. The Oh She Glows cookbook is my go-to source for ‘works-every-time-for-sure-without-a-doubt-never-failed’ recipes. I think I may have also made about 75 % of all the recipes in the first cookbook. Have not yet managed to get hold of the Every Day cook book. It will come though. Copenhagen saw it’s first OSG Christmas meal this year. It was awesome! Thank you!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018

Thank you, Naja! I’m so thrilled you’ve made so many recipes and loved them too! Big hugs from Canada :)

6 Kristi January 9, 2018

I made the Lentil Stew from OSGED this week and it was so delightful and cozy. Perfect for the cold winter we are having in the pacific north west.

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2018

We’ve been getting hit with the bone-chilling cold weather too. Well, it just warmed up a bit this week, but I’m sure it’ll be back. That’s so great you made the stew and loved it! I hope 2018 is off to a great start Kristi.

8 Nicole January 10, 2018

I was flipping through Oh She Glows everyday on the weekend trying to find some new comfort foods and decided to make your Golden French Lentil Stew this week for the first time. I’m fighting off a cold (which seems to be never ending) and needed something hearty. Oh. Man. Adding the cashew cream is brilliant. The stew is amazing; I’ll definitely be making it again! Also got two thumbs up from my meat eating partner (as does all of your recipes). I made your cookie dough balls from Oh She Glows Everyday as a healthier dessert (because I’m still not fully ready to give up dessert after having it essentially with every meal over Christmas…). I may have to hide them because my partner can’t get enough! :)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2018

Hey Nicole, Ohh so glad you tried that stew and loved it!! It’s a big hit in our house too. The spices are SO healthy and energizing. I need to make those cookie dough balls to store in the freezer…they’re such a nice treat to have on hand (but agree with you that they’re addictive). Maybe if I hide them deep enough in the freezer… ;)

10 Laura @ Raise Your Garden January 10, 2018

Such a spot-on post. I know it’s silly, but I’m really trying to get the baby fat off now that my guy is 7 months. These recipes should help that goal! It’s time to get serious and be healthier for my kids and for myself. You’re always proving that tasty food doesn’t have to be bland and boring. Thanks Angela!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2018

Hey Laura, Thanks for your kind words! And congrats on your little one…such a precious time. I can’t believe Arlo is already 15 months and approaching Adriana’s height..lol. It goes by so fast! Good luck with your goals.

12 Laura January 10, 2018

Angela – having your recipes is a treasure. Thank you also for linking back to your inspirations. Sometimes, it gives me the push I need to use more whole foods. Thanks so much.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2018

You’re so sweet, Laura, thank you! That means a lot to me. Cheers to whole foods in 2018!

14 Terri January 10, 2018

Looking good. I just made the Peanut Stew last weekend and am having left overs for lunch. Sooooo gooooood, this one.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018

Yay! That one is a popular recipe for sure…I heard from so many readers making it lately!

16 Jane Plass January 14, 2018

I just made the African Peanut Stew yesterday. So good! It will be in my lunch rotation this week.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2018

I made it this weekend too :) So happy it was a big hit! It’s a super versatile recipe…I may share my recent version on the blog soon.

18 Sarah January 10, 2018

I miss your recipes – is there any chance you will start regularly posting new content again?

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018

So happy to hear how much you love the recipes Sarah! We have all kinds of content planned for 2018.

20 mich January 10, 2018

Thank you for this! I am just finishing up the Metabolism-Revving Spicy Cabbage Soup I made the other day and was looking for inspiration on what to make next that’s light and healthy. I think it’s going to be the Cozy Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Stew. The Flourless Thumbprint Breakfast Cookies is also on my list. Thank you for all the amazing recipes! My only complaint would be, there are so many good ones that I don’t know what to make first. :)

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018

haha thanks Mich! :) Enjoy that stew…it’s a popular one around these parts!

22 Nicole W. OSG Recipe Tester January 10, 2018

The need for light and energizing meals must be contagious…I am feeling that, too. I was browsing through your blog and books yesterday looking for inspiration for some soup and supper recipes to make for the week ahead, a combination of old favourites and ones I haven’t made before. I prepped the ingredients for all 3 soups at the same time (chopped onions for all 3, minced garlic for all 3 etc) so I could make them simultaneously. It worked wonderfully!

“New to me” all from your blog, (all delicious!)
1. Holiday Soup for the Soul
2. Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Soup
3. Carrot, Apple and Ginger Soup
Lunches for days!

Tried and true supper recipes, all from OSG Everyday will be:
1. Crispy Smashed Potatoes and Best Ever Kale Salad
2. Thai Crunch Salad (bulked up with some soba noodles)
3. Sundried Tomato Pasta
4. Chili Cheese Nachos
5. Loaded Sweet Potatoes

The Morning Detox Smoothie and New Year Glow Smoothie bowl are fave breakfasts here!
Thanks for the inspiration :) (and the recipes ha ha ha)

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018

Okay we’ll be over for lunch soon! hahaha….I wish. This sounds fantastic! What a great line-up you have going on. Thanks for sharing, Nicole!

24 Ellen Lederman January 11, 2018

I can vouch for the heartbeet soup! Have some still frozen (freezes well). This is the mighty little soup that could. That could taste so deep and rich. That has so much nutrition (beets and red cabbage and marinara sauce). That doesn’t even feel stressful or time-consuming to make. To me, this is one of your signature recipes…but you have so many and maybe it’s like not having a favorite child (you just love them equally, but in different ways). With a dollop of your cashew sour cream (the best online that I’ve ever made), I smile as I devour a bowl of this exquisite soup.

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2018

Hey Ellen, haha…your comment…loved reading it! I can’t take too much credit for the soup as my aunt inspired it, but I’d have to agree with you that it’s one of the hidden/unexpected gems on the blog! And yet another reason why I go through so much White Linen Collection marinara sauce from Costco!