Cozy plant-based meals for the blustery winter days ahead

veganCaesarsalad-2905

Happy Global Pulse Day, everyone! I’m here to join in on this worldwide par-TAY and celebrate with some of my fave pulse recipes. You may have heard that 2016 was named the International Year of Pulses (um, hello foodie fame…*faints*), and today we’re keeping the pulse power going strong with Global Pulse Day, which is both a real-life and virtual celebration of the benefits of pulses. It’s hard not to love ‘em; pulses are packed with protein and fibre, they’re easy on the wallet (especially when you buy them dry), and their carbon footprint is lower than almost any other food group. And boy, do they ever form the base of so many fantastic plant-based meals.

Today, I’m rounding up some of my best pulse recipes (made from peas, beans, lentils, or chickpeas) as part of my partnership with Pulse Canada—and, of course, to dig into this delicious occasion. I hope some of these recipes below inspire your dinner plans tonight, and in the blustery wintery days ahead. My DIY Burrito Bowls are on the menu for tonight…can’t wait!

plantbasedpulserecipes

1. Glowing Spiced Lentil Soup
  2. Oh Em Gee Veggie Burgers
  3. Roasted Potato and Asparagus Lentil Salad with Tangy Mustard-Lemon Dressing
  4. Chickpea Salad
  5. My Favourite Vegan Chili with Homemade Sour Cream
  6. DIY Burrito Bowl
  7. Cozy Butternut, Sweet Potato, and Red Lentil Stew
  8. 10-Spice Vegetable Soup
  9. Cumin-Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad
  10. Fudgy Black Bean Brownies (Oh She Glows Recipe App: iOS and Android)

(Yes, you knew I had to include a pulse-based dessert in the mix!) Some other great recipes not shown above include: Golden Red Lentil Dal with Cilantro Speckled Basmati, Next Level Vegan Enchiladas, Crowd-Pleasing Vegan Caesar Salad (top image of blog post), Ultimate Green Taco Wraps with Lentil Walnut Taco Meat. Did I forget any of your faves? Let us know below!

Android Launch

In case you missed my Instagram and Facebook posts on Monday, I wanted to share some super exciting news: We officially launched the Android version of our Oh She Glows Plant-Based Recipe App! Just like our iOS app, the Android version will provide you with 99—and counting—delicious plant-based recipes. Thanks to everyone, especially my Android-using fans, for your support, patience, and mega encouragement to develop this version; we’re so thrilled to have this out in the world at long last! And, thank you for all of your comments, emails, and reviews this week…it means a lot to us.

Photo credits: #2 and #6 Ashley McLaughlin, all other photos by Angela Liddon.

1 John Celvin June 6, 2017

Angela, My wife and daughter are so much in love to your blog, they forced me to say Thank You! :) We all loving your great posts, trying many new dishes everyday. You’r recipes are too tasty and healthy, We all family members love to try, always. Much love! – John!

2 Angela Liddon June 6, 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this lovely comment, John! I’m so happy to hear you and your family have been enjoying my recipes. :)

3 Alisha March 17, 2017

Your Shepherd’s Pie definitely deserves a spot on this list. It’s one of my favourites for sure!

4 glynnis kunzler February 22, 2017

My daughter gave me your new cookbook for Christmas then I ordered the first book. I love cooking from them, your recipes are easy and really good. May I say I am 72 years old its never to late to change your diet. Now We eat like our grandchildren.

5 Angela Liddon February 22, 2017

Oh, I’m so pleased to hear you’re loving the cookbooks, Glynnis! Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know. :)

6 Kate Green January 23, 2017

Hi there, I love all the posts and am trying more and more.

On your International Pulses Day, the cover picture does not seem to be any of the 10 recipes listed. It LOOKS AMAZING- can you tell me that recipe?

And since I work with food, farmers and seeds all the time, my hats off to you for all the great work you do promoting healthy, sustainable and HAPPY food – Kate

7 Angela Liddon January 24, 2017

Hi Kate, Thanks so much! The top image is my Crowd-Pleasing Vegan Caesar Salad, found here.

8 Evelyn January 21, 2017

I love this pulse round-up post! I often make your Caesar salad and 10-spice vegetable soup with cashews together, and it makes such a lovely meal together.

(Oh and I yesterday tried the Oh-Em-Gee veggie burger, and it is omg indeed! I loved it, made some chipotle spiced mayonnaise to go with it, and am so excited to have some leftover burgers in the freezer..)

9 vladis January 19, 2017

Oh that Burger glows ;)

10 Tina January 19, 2017

Others I love are: The Best Marinated Lentils; Sweet potato, chickpea and spinach coconut curry; Indian Lentil Cauliflower soup and for a very quick meal Quick & Easy Chana Masala.
I could go on and on. Thanks for all these, Angela. Life-changing recipes!

11 Jill January 19, 2017

The lentil stew is going on the menu this weekend. And maybe those black bean (!) brownies, too! I definitely don’t eat enough pulses. Must fix.

12 Hilary Ledingham January 19, 2017

Hi Angela
I keep receiving your newsletter through my old e-mail adress, and never through the new one, yet it says I’m subscribed through the new one. I will not have access to the old one soon and I don’t want to miss out on anything. Any suggestions?

13 Elaine Ross January 19, 2017

Your “meat”loaf is also super delish!!!

14 Taylor Filaroski January 19, 2017

LOVEE your Caesar salad, I make it all the time! My non-vegan family loves it as well, so I make it for every holiday gathering!

15 Anne-Marie January 19, 2017

Hi,
I love your blog. I get it on my home laptop (okay, and at work I go on webmail…). I noticed your your latest post with the fudgey brownies doesn’t have a link to your website.

16 Angela Liddon January 19, 2017

Hi Anne-Marie, I’m so happy to hear you enjoy the blog! To your question, the Fudgy Black Bean Brownies recipe listed in this post is available only on our recipe app, which is why there isn’t an associated link to the OSG website. However, there are a few brownie recipes on the blog, including my Two-Layer Raw Chocolate Brownies. Hope this helps!

17 Katy Craig January 19, 2017

Hi Angela, I just got the UK edition of your second cookbook and I am in love! Everything looks so delicious, I especially can’t wait to make the peanut butter tart. Also the fudgy blak bean brownies in the app are quite possibly my favorite brownies ever! I recently made a version subbing peanut butter for the coconut oil and peanuts for the nuts and it was amazing (can you tell i’m a pb + chocolate fan haha). Thank you for all the amazing work that you do!

18 Angela Liddon January 19, 2017

Oh, PB & chocolate – one of the best flavour combos out there! It’s great to know those swaps worked out so well…I’ll definitely have to try that twist sometime. And thanks so much for your kind words about Oh She Glows Every Day; I hope you love it, and enjoy whatever recipes you try first!

19 Tana Lise January 18, 2017

You guys really thought of everything with the new Android app. I enjoy browsing it on my (new) Samsung tablet and phone as I wipe up all the drool from my face! Awesome spotlight on pulses, too. Your delicious recipes really make it easy for people to add them to their diets and benefit health wise. Thanks for continually inspiring us to eat them. I’m hugely grateful. Cheers!

20 Angela Liddon January 19, 2017

Thank you so much for your support and warm words, Tana! It’s wonderful to hear you’re enjoying the Android app. :)

21 Stacy January 18, 2017

I have been adding a big scoop of cooked lentils to all my foods. Trying to up the protein lately. I love pulses for that. Also, I NEED that Oh Em Gee burger like right now.

22 Barbara January 18, 2017

I just made the sweet potato, butternut, and lentil stew on Monday, and it was delicious! I’m sure it will be a regular in my house. I also just got your cookbook, so I’m looking forward to trying some new recipes (I LOVE your first one!).

23 Ingunn January 18, 2017

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I make the Glowing Spiced Lentil Soup at least once a week and my entire family loves it, including my meat-and-potatoes parents who ate it several times when they came to visit, and my two year old who always asks for seconds. It’s seriously my favorite soup of all time (followed closely by the African Peanut one from your first book).

24 Katy Craig January 19, 2017

That African peanut stew is so GOOD!!

25 Jamie January 18, 2017

I made your DIY Burrito Bowls last night for dinner (weekly staple) and have your Oh Em Gee veggies burgers prepped and ready to go for tonight–just need to bake them! I haven’t had them before, so I’m looking forward to dinner tonight!

26 Angela Liddon January 18, 2017

I hope you love the burgers, Jamie! Happy eating :)

27 Jenna January 18, 2017

Should the top image be in your list?

28 Poppy January 18, 2017

That’s what I was hoping for too! Looks like a delicious salad.

29 Angela Liddon January 18, 2017

Hi Jenna, Thanks for your great question! The top image is the Crowd-Pleasing Vegan Caesar Salad, included in the “extra recipes” below the main list. :)

30 Nathalie January 18, 2017

I had lentil soup for lunch at the cafeteria of my university today. Feels very appropriate now! I’m a big fan of your chickpea salad, too. Have a lovely day.

31 Alina @ Orgali Holistic Nutrition January 18, 2017

I make the glowing spiced lentil soup for my family (2 kids included :) – 4 and 7 year old) on a regular basis and there are never leftovers. So delicious and nutritious. Thank you for all these amazing recipes, Angela!