35 Weeks (Pregnancy #2)

35weeksbaby2

Eric thinks Adriana is sensing the baby will be coming soon. She wants me to hold her much more than usual (“Mommy up! Up! Up, peas!”), and she loves climbing all over my bump and sticking her finger into (what’s left of) my belly button. If I leave the room, she can get pretty upset at times. It usually goes something like this: “Mommy doing?” (Her way of asking, What is mommy doing?) “Mommy is going to the potty—I’ll be back soon!” “Mommy, POTTY! Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy!” She’s also cutting the bottom eye teeth and not sleeping normally so I’m sure it’s all related. I’m showering her with as much love and attention as I can and making sure we have special one-on-one time, which will be even more important to carve out once the baby is here.

Baby update: According to What To Expect, baby is around 18 inches and 5 pounds, and will be packing on more and more fat in the weeks to come. I’ve been making sure to eat a lot of healthy fats throughout my pregnancy (EPA/DHA oil, avocado, coconut oil, chia and hemp, nut/seed butters, etc), so hopefully baby has plenty! I’m still feeling hiccups multiple times a day, and tons of movement. This baby loves to push outward on my stomach like she/he is trying to escape, and I’ve been feeling so many hipbone jabs that stop me in my tracks!

How I’m feeling: This week I Googled “Can your boost of energy start at 35 weeks?” I kicked off this week feeling super energetic (I was seriously wondering if I might be going into labour early), and then sadly it dwindled after a couple days. Then I struggled the past few days with super low energy due to some early wake-ups. So I guess you could say it’s been a real mix.

Home life: It’s been so busy and exciting in this house. Some days we have 8 or more people coming in and out. Things are flowing nicely and we haven’t had too many setbacks, but I see there’s a mercury retrograde at the end of the month so who knows what that’ll bring. The mudding/sanding is finished in the basement and master bathroom, and the priming and first coat of paint is done in the basement. It is looking so much more like a finished basement already, and I can start to picture what the finished rooms will look like. Today, the master bathroom and basement powder room vanities are being installed and tomorrow the countertops will be measured. The basement doors are also being installed this week. We went with some modern-looking doors and handles for the basement, and I’m just dying to see them set up! Adriana loves watching all the action. This morning she was like, “Basement doing? Doors!” It was cute.

Hair/skin/nails: I forgot to mention this, but my eczema has been pretty bad over the past few months. I have it on my upper arms (tiny red bumps), and I think the hormones have really ramped it up during this pregnancy. I really don’t know what to do about it, or if anything even can help it. I’ve tried various creams and exfoliating (which I’m sure is a big no-no), and nothing has helped.

Names: We still have two first name contenders, and I go back and forth between which one I prefer. I’m totally on the fence and I think Eric is too. We didn’t decide on Adriana’s name until after she was born (we had two top choices then, too), so we might end up doing the same this time. Luckily, baby’s two middle names are selected so at least we don’t have to worry about that!

Symptoms: I’m feeling more and more uncomfortable as the weeks go on, which is to be expected. I’m also feeling a lot more random shooting groin pains that go down my inner thigh. It feels like baby presses up on a nerve and boom! I’m also having occasional stomach tightening, but not a lot. Some rib pain at night. Nothing too bad thankfully. I’m tired trying to keep up with our almost 2-year-old!

Exercise: Still walking 25 brisk minutes every morning with the stroller, and doing 15 minutes of Barre3 online every other day. Loving this amount right now! It’s quite challenging without running me down. One day this week I was super tired from a 4:45am wake-up call, and I debated taking a nap in the afternoon. I somehow convinced myself to do my planned 15 minutes of barre and take a nap right after the workout. Well, I felt so energized after the workout I didn’t even want a nap anymore. I couldn’t believe it. It really turned my mood around for the rest of the day.

What I’m wearing: I’m loving this Gap Maternity long-sleeved tee for cooler mornings (shown in the pic above). It’s so incredibly soft and comfy!! It’s still too hot and humid most days to wear it, but I know I’m going to get a ton of wear out of it next month.

Cravings: I’m still craving bread but haven’t ordered pizza this week, which feels like a victory over last week’s pizza marathon. I did, however, indulge in some homemade sourdough bread from the bakery this week. Spread with lots of coconut oil…mmm!

Best thing I ate/drank all week: The abovementioned sourdough bread. I also tested another batch of ice cream bars (getting close!) and ate way too many at like 10am.

Baby prep: I washed the new onesies that I picked up last week and they are all hung in the closet on cute little baby hangers. That’s about all I’ve done, but it still made me very happy to see those itsy bitsy clothes looking all cute.

Hospital bag packed? My goal is to start by end of next week! I did start a hospital bag checklist, and I ordered a few essentials. Spoiler alert: There will be Depends this time around. I’m not too high and mighty for them this time, bahah.

Crafting projects: I have done z-e-r-o crafting during this pregnancy, but I have this homemade massage ball on my list of things to make ASAP! My back has been bothering me, and I can’t wait to get Eric to try this out on those overburdened ribs. (He’s always like “What do you mean rub your ribcage? That’s weird…”)

Days left until due date: 32 days…this does not seem like a long time!

PS—you can read my 35 weeks update from my first pregnancy here.

1 Jessi August 25, 2016

Hi Angela,

I was at the blogher conference a few weeks ago and received a really great tip from a pediatrician for when you have baby #2.

Before the baby comes have big sister pick out a gift for the baby. When big sister comes to the hospital make sure you’re not holding the new baby. Shower her with love, hug her, kiss her. They haven’t seen you for hours/days and they’re worried and anxious. Let them ask where the baby is. Then you can pick the baby up and introduce them and she can give the baby her gift.

I thought this was a great idea so I had to share!

2 Rachel Lucas August 31, 2016

This is a great tip, Jessi…but also it’s a really nice idea to give the older child a present FROM the new baby. I am the oldest of 3 girls and my Mum did this with both births. I never had a twinge of jealousy but adored my sisters from Day One. I still remember the ‘orange & white’ teddy bear that my first sister brought me…I saw it before I saw her! I was 26 months. It can be done quite successfully. All good wishes to you, Eric and Adriana Angela!

3 Brittany Long August 26, 2016

Hi Angela!

Love love love you and all that you have done for the plant based community!!

I’m an esthetician – I see lots of eczema. I’ve found that people really love Skincando Combat- Ready Balm. It’s safe for pregnancy and VERY healing. http://www.skincando.com/combat-ready/

Try not to exfoliate eczema – it will irritate the eczema further. Inflammation tends to worsen it as well. Try to stay cool and if you get warm, cool the effected areas down gently with a cool washcloth. Good luck & I’d love to know if you get the balm what your thoughts are!

Can’t wait for the new baby! xxoo

4 Carrie M August 26, 2016

Love the update! Curious to know what EPA/DHA supplement you’re taking (if any). I’m trying to find one that is vegetarian/vegan and it is proving difficult. Thanks!

5 Amy August 29, 2016

Hi Carrie,

You could try brands like Nutrasea, they now make a vegetarian omega liquid supplement so does Flora Udo’s oil. They can be found at a health food store. Hope that helps!! :)

Amy

6 Stephanie August 26, 2016

Depends are a lifesaver! :) Best tip I got before my first baby’s birth.

My daughter has horrible eczema. Our doctor says the most important thing is to keep the skin moist. She’s a big believer in petroleum jelly but also recommends vanicream and cetaphil. You probably already know this, but no scented lotions, scented soaps, scented laundry detergent, scented dryer sheets, etc. Everything should be hypoallergenic, for sensitive skin, and free and clear. We use the free & clear brand from walgreens for hair products. Cetaphil has good bar soap. Also, I use free & clear (all, purex, etc.) detergent/dryer sheets for all of our clothes, baby too. I read an article that said a baby is sleeping on your chest most of the time so you want to make sure everyone’s clothes are free and clear.

7 AGS August 26, 2016

Petroleum jelly helped us!

My 3rd child had exczema on her legs (and then it started to spread), and we finally resorted to a heavy petroleum jelly application day/night. It got under control, and she is now free. But we have to be diligent about applying it most evenings to keep it at bay.

I hope it clears up for you!!

8 Miche August 26, 2016

Hi Angela! I have mild eczema, but it gets kind of nuts in the winter. I use a cream that my dermatologist prescribed, and I also slather myself in Eucerin after every shower (either the “eczema relief” or the “skin calming” cream.) In the winter, I stick to Dove body wash only, on her recommendation. And I keep my humidifier running.

Hope this helps!

9 Jess August 26, 2016

I really like Skinfix gentle eczema balm…its for babies but I used it when I was pregnant 😊

10 Stephanie August 26, 2016

My boys both have wicked eczema, and we use the Rodan + Fields Soothe regimen on them. I love that it’s gentle enough for my bitty baby, and we use it for bug bites, diaper rash, and other skin irritants too. It’s like a one-stop shop for their sensitive skin. I’d love to get you a great discount on it, if you’re at all interested. :) Congrats on 35 weeks!!

11 Anna August 26, 2016

Ohh my gosh I am so excited for you and your family that baby is coming soon ! I also can’t wait to find out the sex hehe i’m guessing (after reading all your pregnancy updates and based on what I perceived as a few subtle (and I guess non intended) hints) that it’s a babyboy. Anyway boy or girl I wish all of you all the best :)

I read that apple cider vinegar can be very effective to make eczema rashes disappear.. just have to pour some in your bath (it’s good for the slightly acidic nature of the skin in general). Maybe it’s worth a try?

Take care!!

12 A Mom August 26, 2016

It sounds like the skin condition you are describing is keratosis pilaris, not eczema. Completely cutting out gluten and dairy worked for me. Skin problems are usually a manifestation of an internal imbalance. Topical creams don’t get to the root cause.

13 Mel B August 26, 2016

Hi Angela! As someone who has suffered with eczema for most of my life, I have found a natural remedy that has really worked for me as well as others that have tried it. B vitamins!
A B-50 supplement of all the B’s, taken 3 times per day with meals. So that’s 50 milligrams of B1, B2, B6, B12, Folic acid, pantothenic acid, etc. These are water-soluble vitamins that will not build up in your system, and are safe for pregnant women, whatever your body doesn’t need is just expelled through the urine. As eczema is usually caused from an increase in stress, I’m not surprised you have it with all that’s going on in your life right now! You should see an improvement within the first week of taking the supplements, I hope you give it a try! All the topical treatments people think will help are just not effective as the root cause is from within your body. In the meantime try not to scratch!!

14 Tiffany27 August 27, 2016

You are such a cute pregnant lady! And it sounds like you’re going to have a Libra baby. Yay! They’re known to be social butterflies so get ready. He or she will be a talker hahaha.

15 Fliss August 27, 2016

Hi Angela,

Re: eczema, I’ve had lifelong eczema (25 years) and I’ve always found the best thing is taking an “oat bath” – I simply buy the cheap supermarket brand oats + cheap supermarket stocking socks, put a cup of oats in a sock, tie it up then you “squeeze” the oat mylk into the bath. If you haven’t tried it, it might sound crazy but it is by far the most soothing thing I’ve found to help! Good luck with your pregnancy / birth – you’re glowing, as always! x

16 Liza August 27, 2016

I’m 17 weeks with my first and I’m having horrible breakouts on my face! It’s awful. I look like a teenage mom to be! And I am not treating it since I’m not comfortable putting anything on my face that could potentially harm the baby. All my preggo photos are awdul. Oh well!

17 Stephanie September 1, 2016

The Rodan + Fields Unblemish regimen is safe for pregnancy and nursing, if you’re at all interested! I depend on the eye cream too, especially after late nights feeding my bitty boy! https://stephdavis1.myrandf.com/Shop/Unblemish

18 Alex August 27, 2016

I struggled with eczema for years. Then I went to a naturopath for a food intolerances test. Wheat was flagged as major trigger for eczema. I’ve cut out the wheat and haven’t had a flare up since.

19 Leanne August 29, 2016

Hi Angela. I had a friend that suffers from eczema and when pregnant can’t use the steroid cream she normal does. I made her a homemade lotion with coconut oil, beeswax and lavender essential oil. She claims it has greatly helped with her eczema and uses it even while not pregnant.

20 Hayley August 29, 2016

I love these updates. Good for you for keeping up with them, as you did for Adrianna. I did the same with my two boys, for myself but also to prevent second child syndrome (coming from a second child). I can’t believe how much you get one in your day, and I’m sure we don’t even know the half of it. You’re the most productive woman I know (and all of your posts are well-written, without a hint of baby brain. Rock on, Angela.

P.S. I’m thinking a girl, as I just picture your with a second girl.

21 Ana Maria August 29, 2016

Hi Angela! I read in your last post that you were trying hypnobirthing and it wasn’t really drawing you in. I also tried and didn’t like hypnobirthing with my first labour. I would recommend reading the chapter on pain management in “Birthing From Within”, I found the mental techniques in that book easier to practise and use during labour with my second.

22 Angela August 29, 2016

This is a Canadian company. Their e-cream is a nice alternative for skin issues. I’ve had great success with eczema. Takes longer than the steroid creams but I feel much more comfortable using it knowing it’s all natural without the crazy side effects.

23 Anna Lee August 29, 2016

“There will be Depends this time around. I’m not too high and mighty for them this time” hahaha. Too funny. I’m sure Adriana is anxious about her new little sister/brother. I can’t believe your due date is only a month away. It seems like just yesterday you announced you were expecting!

24 Tijana August 30, 2016

Hey Angela,

Just wanted to say that eczema is often caused by something in the diet. I’m not sure if you had dairy the last while, because that’s a big mone. It could from gluten, soy, corn… Maybe something you haven’t had in a while?

It could also be environmental. Vitamin C and quercetin (not 100% sure about quercetin and pregnancy though) can help. I’m a nutritionist and I know mine flares seasonally and with some dairy.

Good luck! Can’t wait for more updates.

25 Cathy August 30, 2016

When I was pregnant with my twins, I was told to have my hospital bag prepped by week 30 just in case of pre-term labor. I packed a killer hospital bag and had it all ready…then I didn’t have the babies until I was 38 weeks! And to add insult to injury, I didn’t even use ANYTHING in my bag…except for lip balm. Ha!

All the best to you in your final weeks !

26 Flore August 31, 2016

Hey, the only thing that’s ever helped me (besides going vegan, apparently I got it because I’m allergic to milk yay) is Lush’s Dream Cream. I swear by it, seriously. x

27 Sandra September 8, 2016

I want to second this suggestion! I love Dream Cream and use it on anything that’s itchy, burned, inflamed, dry or otherwise in need of TLC :)

28 Stacey Williams August 31, 2016

Hi!
I’m also an eczema sufferer and found Emu Oil to be fantastic – it was the only thing that cleared up my raw weeping skin and it’s completely natural and (I’m pretty sure) safe to use in pregnancy and on babies/kids too. I bought mine from Kangaroo Island direct but you can also order it online, just make sure it is the pure oil not a blended cream as these can have other irritating things added. This is what I have: http://www.emuridge.com.au/shop/emu-oil/ Hope this is helpful!
Stacey