20 weeks (pregnancy #2)

20weekspregnancy2-2

Well, holy moly, we’re halfway there! How did that happen?

Thanks everyone for all of your lovely comments on my 19 Weeks post! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the return of the pregnancy updates. I absolutely love hearing from you guys!

This week I had an appointment with one of my midwives. At this practice, each patient is assigned two midwives and they alternate every appointment. My appointments are monthly right now, but they’ll become more frequent as the pregnancy goes on. We went over my anatomy scan results, which came back great. I mentioned to my midwife that I’ve been feeling a bit run-down over the past week, and she said that it’s likely related to a baby growth spurt. I’ve been hungrier lately, so that could definitely be the case. Also, my butt, boobs, and belly are expanding at a rapid pace all of a sudden! Do you ever get that feeling like your butt grew overnight? It’s so weird. We’re going to check my iron just to be sure, even though when it was checked a couple months ago it was the highest it has ever been (to my knowledge). I was pretty pumped to hear that my ferritin came back at 142 in March. I credit this to having just one period in 2 1/2 years (thanks to pregnancy and breastfeeding)!

Sleep: I’ve been going through a bout of pregnancy insomnia where I’m wide awake for 1 to 2 hours in the night. Adriana, on the other hand, is sleeping much better this week! I think she’s getting a break from teething, which I know is temporary, but I’ll take it. There’s been no night terrors to speak of (we’re actually not sure if that’s what it was or not…could’ve just been teething or sleep regression related). If only I could get my own sleep and hers to align! Hahah…yea right.

Nesting: In the past two days, the nesting urge has hit full force!!! (Much sooner than it did last time.) Mainly, I’m interested in decluttering right now. I’ve already donated two large bags of things, and there will be many more to come! Clutter has been building up in our house, and I just can’t take it anymore. Anything that doesn’t get used (aside from sentimental things) is going. I think Eric knows from the first pregnancy just to let me do my thing. I’m a nesting ninja right now, there’s no denying it. And boy am I fast! I figure why not take advantage of this in the second trimester before the belly gets really big.

Movement: Baby’s kicks are becoming more frequent and noticeable. I absolutely love this stage because the kicks are still so gentle. I’m wondering if I’m going to have intense rib pain this time around. I had it for months with my first pregnancy and it was just awful. I remember sitting there with an ice pack on my ribs, but not getting any relief at all. My ribs stretched and expanded the first pregnancy and never returned back to their former shape (at least to my naked eye), so hopefully they won’t need to expand a great deal this time!

Wearing: Workout clothes and sneakers, maternity tees and jean jackets, empire waist dresses. I did order a few new maternity items this week, and I’m excited to have a few more things to wear. I desperately need some maternity jeans still. Let me know if you have any recommendations for maternity jeans (preferably without the over-the-bump band as I’m not a fan). I prefer maternity jeans with the side panel inserts instead, as I find the over-the-bump ones fall down a lot.

Worrying about: Oddly enough, I’m not worrying about very much right now! It’s such a change from my first pregnancy where I googled everything. I worried a lot about labour (and avoided all labour-related books until the very end). I’m much more relaxed and at ease with the journey now, and know that I have a strength in me reserved just for this. Adriana also keeps me so busy I don’t have much time to think about it! I haven’t read any Babycentre or What to Expect weekly pregnancy updates in ages.

Exercise: I’m still going strong with my Barre3 online workouts and treadmill walking. I work out every day (with an off day here and there) and I do about 15 minutes of Barre3 followed by 30 to 40 minutes of fast treadmill walking (right now it’s usually around 4.6 mph at incline 3%). I also do some arm work with free weights (5 minutes here and there while watching TV at night). These workouts energize me so much and really boost my mood! If at any point I feel like the workouts are starting to deplete my energy, I will modify what I’m doing. I’d really love to stick with the strength training until the very end, even if it means modifying the exercises a great deal.

Aches and pains: My sciatica pain has been so much less this week. It’s almost not even noticeable. I credit a couple things: 1) Seeing my osteopath again (I’ve been twice), and 2) decreasing the incline on the treadmill (I went from incline 6% to 3%). I’m going to continue seeing the osteopath as she’s helping to realign my twisted hip (which is a result of carrying Adriana on my right hip all the time and my bad posture while standing).

The bump: Suddenly, I feel super pregnant and I’m noticing the bump when I bend over. The bump gets bigger and bigger as the day goes on. I joke to Eric that by the end of the day I look 2 months farther along! Looking back to my 19th-week pictures, I definitely think baby had a growth spurt this week.

Mood: I’m not going to lie, I’ve been feeling quite emotional lately. I haven’t felt emotional since early in the first trimester so this kind of threw me for a loop. I feel my eyes tearing up over the littlest things. I was just reading over my 20th-week update from my first pregnancy and this line made me laugh: Energy wise, I’m feeling amazing. Aside from brief hormonal mood swings when I feel like I could snap someone in two, I feel happier now than I have in a long time.” I’d say that this sums up how I’m feeling now quite well (aside from this week’s lower energy). I love having these updates to look back on because they make me feel a bit more sane!

Cravings: I had a return of nausea earlier this week which now seems to have gone away. I haven’t had any major cravings this week, although I definitely enjoyed some of my favourite vegan chocolate cupcakes! I also had a really random craving for my Gazpacho and had to whip up a batch immediately. (I was too impatient to wait for it to chill so I chilled it with ice cubes in the bowl.)

Doula or no doula: I worked with a doula for my first pregnancy and delivery, and it was a great experience! I’m not sure that I’m going to hire one this time though. Since I’m with a midwife this time around, she’ll meet me at the hospital and, I believe, stay with me until delivery and a bit after. She will also come visit me once I’m home, too, which is awesome. I feel like having a doula might be too many hands in the kitchen, but I’d love if some of you could share your own experiences. My goal once again is to have a drug-free birth (and maybe a shorter pushing phase! hah), but time will tell how this next labour goes down. Side note: If you haven’t read it already, you can find Adriana’s birth story here. (Side side note: OMG, she was SO tiny…I tear up just seeing her newborn pic!!). If there’s one thing that experience taught me, it’s that I can get through anything I put my mind to.

1 Rachel May 12, 2016

Love your updates. You’re only 5 weeks ahead of me! My second also and you make me feel lazy. I’m not past the nausea stage so I don’t work out yet. And cleaning /organizing in my house? No time!

2 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Congrats on your second pregnancy Rachel! heh…my post probably makes it sound like I’m organizing hours a day which is so not the case – 15 to 20 minutes max (which feels like a lot for someone who is not an organizer, lol). I hope you feel better soon!! I know for me, it wasn’t until around 15 to 16 weeks when I turned a corner.

3 Cali May 12, 2016

Hi Angela. Love the pregnancy updates. I am also pregnant with second child and this time just like the first my iron is always low. How did you maintain to keep it up and high at that?

4 Shelby A May 12, 2016

Hi Angela, I get notifications on my computer when you make new blog posts and I just saw that you are 20 weeks! I didn’t realize you were pregnant. Adriana was about 2 weeks ahead of my first and now I am 17 weeks with my second too! I love all your posts and hearing about what you’re eating lately as my cravings and aversions can be so frustrating! Gazpacho sounds delicious and I think I’ll make a batch this weekend. Chocolate cupcakes will be in there too.

Thank you as always for all your lovely posts and recipes my husband can also enjoy!

5 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Thank you, Shelby! Congrats to you too – it sounds like we’re on the same schedule, haha. Happy cooking this weekend!

6 Christabel May 12, 2016

I couldn’t stand the over-the-belly style maternity jeans either until someone suggested using a belly band OVER the jean panel. They stayed up perfectly! It was double material but still very comfy.

A doula might not be a bad idea if they are willing to stay with you longer than a midwife while you labor. Also, some doulas will visit you many more times postpartum and even do overnight visits.

7 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Interesting tip!! I need to dig out my belly band. I also read a tip yesterday where someone said she wears one of those velcro belly support bands which also helps her jeans stay up as an added bonus. ;)

8 Janna West May 12, 2016

Hi Angela,

Regarding your ‘Doula or no doula’ thoughts, I’d recommend going with no doula. I went with the midwife route but delivered in a birth center so I’m not sure if the dynamic would be much different in a hospital?? During my pregnancy I too contemplated hiring a doula but am so glad I didn’t. I would have really felt like there ‘were too many hands in the kitchen’. I had my husband and 1 midwife with me until the pushing phase when the second midwife joined. I thought it was the perfect number of people at all times and wouldn’t have wanted any more. I think a doula might have taken away from the experience for my husband as he took a front seat in supporting me through the process- we called him my ‘dude-la’ haha. Lastly, my midwives provided lots of mental and physical support so I’m not even sure what a doula would have done extra to help.

Ps- where do you find all your beautiful floral print dresses and tops? I LOVE them!
You look great and all the best for the remainder of your pregnancy.
xx Jan

9 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Jan, I totally just laughed out loud about “dude-la”!!! I might have to steal that one from you. I’m sure Eric would love that nickname. ;) Thanks for weighing in on your experience! I am so torn and can see both sides. There were a lot of people with me in the room during the pushing phase (like 3 nurses, the OB, Eric, and doula) since we were having issues, and that was definitely too much for my liking. I can see how a more intimate experience would be calming too. :) Oh and the floral dresses are from ASOS online. :) I’m kind of addicted to that site!

10 Tijana May 12, 2016

I love that the updates are back! I dont know how you do it with a toddler.. I’m almost about to pop and I’m exhausted even without kids lol. And the food! You’re making awesome recipes, meanwhile my food aversions have made me avoid so many foods I used to love. Well I’m glad your recipes keep coming.

I think it’s awesome you’re going with a midwife! They do indeed stay with you for the birth and a few hours after (I think it’s the same everywhere, I’m assuming you guys are doing hospital birth, so I think they hang for a few hours after birth there and then leave with you). Also I’ve heard the aftercare is so nice. In my opinion, it’s an awesome experience and I love the holistic nature of midwifery :)

Keep the updates coming!

11 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Hi Tijana, haha I can so relate! I’ve actually abandoned so many recipes mid-way through testing because I lose interest in the particular food (and by lose interest, I mean that sometimes I actually feel sick when I think about the food). It’s been frustrating for sure because otherwise I would be creating so much more! I recall being exhausted close to the end too, and I expect I’ll be even more so this time, hah. Good luck with everything!

12 Lauren May 12, 2016

I used a midwife for my first and I’m using the same one this second time around and I get so happy to see others take advantage of them! They’re so great and offer so much personal care. We ended up suffering a medical emergency in labour so the neonatal team took over but the midwife stayed with me during it and stayed for hours afterwards. She also came back the next morning and did her at home visits. I considered a doula too but i found my midwife and husband were enough help for me. My husband was very involved and really acted like a doula. This time i want to do it natural so i am doing hypnobirthing classes which seem to be very beneficial and successful for a lot of women. The youtube videos of ladies using hypnobirthing in labour are really interesting!

13 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Thanks for sharing your experience Lauren! I’ve heard good things about hypnobirthing too, but haven’t looked into it. Good luck with everything!

14 Cali May 12, 2016

I’m loving the updates. I’m also pregnant with second baby and for both pregnancies my iron has been low so what did you and still doing to keep it up and high at that?

15 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Hey Cali, My iron started off fairly good with my 1st pregnancy, but it did drop low in the 3rd trimester (I ended up taking iron supplements as recommended by my OB). My iron started off super high with this second pregnancy, but I believe that’s only because I only had 1 period in 2 1/2 years (due to pregnancy and losing my period while breastfeeding)! So it’ll be interesting to see if it drops a lot over the course of this pregnancy. I recommend speaking with your OB or midwife about it!

16 Cali May 12, 2016

I’m also pregnant with second child and this time just like the first my iron is always low. So just curious as to how your keeping your iron level high?

17 Gloria May 13, 2016

I hired a doula for the birth of my daughter in January (she was born @ a birth centre with some amazing midwives!). While it’s true that *a* midwife will stay with you throughout your active labour, it won’t necessarily be the same one the whole time; depending on how long things take your midwife may need to switch off with another to get some rest.
Some midwives are more “hands on” than others, and even if your want your midwife to be very doula-like in your labour, her primary job is the safe birth of your child – by that I mean she has to do the clinical stuff first (blood pressure checks, fetal heart rate checks, internal exams, and then CHART everything).
If you can afford it I truly think it would be wise to have a doula again, especially if you’re planning another drug-free birth. If you & Eric are handling things well, the right doula will be content to stay in the background & let you guys do your thing.

18 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Gloria, This is super helpful! I totally get what you’re saying. Thanks for weighing in! I’m definitely going to consider it.

19 Emily R May 13, 2016

Congrats Angela on your Second pregnancy, so exciting.
I love reading these updates and look forward to them. I’m so happy to hear that your going with a midwife this time around. I know how hard it can be getting one, as there’s such a high demand for them in GTA and not enough of them. I was on a waiting list since I was 4 weeks a long and finally got the call back from them at 12 weeks. I also had two wonderful Midwives. I ended up having a C-section at 38 weeks and my midwives were there from the beginning to the end and it was such a relief. Such an amazing community. I was so sad to say good bye at my last six week postpartum appointment. My Midwife community also has a yearly summer BBQ and its so nice re-connecting with them. I hope you’re able to have the same experience =0)

Best of Luck

20 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

I’m so glad to hear you had such a great experience! Yes, wait lists are long in the GTA from what I’ve heard. I tried to get in for my first pregnancy, but couldn’t. And then this time I think I applied around 4 to 5 weeks along and didn’t hear back for a couple months. Anyway, I’m really looking forward to it! So happy you are enjoying the posts by the way.

21 Jennifer May 13, 2016

First comment from me. I love the blog and receipies and am loving the pregancy portion. You asked and so here is an answer. Hire a doula for this one too! I had a doula for all three of my births. Two of them were with midwives. My doula worked great with my midwives and I never felt like there were “too many cooks”. I loved that when my midwives were having to do their clinical stuff my doula could still focus on me and my emotional well being. Prenatally and in postpartum I found my circle of care was 100% and if I had a question that I couldn’t wait until my next midwife appointment or I didn’t want to bother her with I could ask my doula. Postpartum was also fantastic, just having that one extra professional that I could talk to. Yes having a 2nd and 3rd baby should be easier but it’s still a bit different… Keep sharing your beautiful bump!!! OH and congratulations.

22 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Great perspective, Jennifer! I love hearing everyone’s thoughts and experiences. Thanks for sharing! I hadn’t considered the medical stuff taking up time (I honestly think I blocked out so much from my first labour, lol), but that’s a wonderful point!

23 Stella @ Stellicious Life May 13, 2016

Love these updates and you look beautiful Angela, these dresses are lovely!

Seriously, ribs extend during pregnancy? Wow I never heard of that. My ribs are already sticking out quite a lot (caused me many self-conscious moments when I was a teen) so maybe I won’t experience that, but still what a strange yet completely logical change of the female body. And the expansion hurts?

Also, how does Adriana react to your bump? :-)

24 Lauren May 13, 2016

I went through a major “throw away all the things” phase too :)
Have you ever tried Stitch Fix? My favorite maternity clothes came from them.

25 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Hey Lauren, Do you know if Stitch Fix ships to Canada? I think I looked them up a long time ago and it said they shipped within the US, but perhaps they’ve expanded since then!

26 Lauren May 13, 2016

Agh just did a search and it looks like they still only ship to the USA. LAME :(

27 AGS May 13, 2016

You asked about the doula. I think have some additional help is a good thing. We used a collaborate physician/midwife practice for babies #2 and #3, but didn’t use a doula, as we had with baby #1. The midwife is more present, but practices vary, and she may not be there coaching you – which is what a doula does. To be frank, it didn’t matter with #2. I had the baby at home (not on purpose),and our next door neighbor – who was supposed to drive us to the hospital, but happened to be there when everything went down – helped with clean-up, and all that. Again, it was good to have an extra set of hands, even if they weren’t trained! With baby #3, it was me and my spouse at the hospital, and we had a great L&D nurse, and I really consider it a testament to how well we work together that labor #3 went so well.

It’s such a pleasure to hear about your growing family, and I’m happy for all 3 of you! Every pregnancy is different, as is each person, baby, labor and delivery. I hope this time around is as smooth as possible.

28 Angela Liddon May 17, 2016

I love this! Isn’t it amazing how different each of your experiences were? I think that’s such a great point. You never truly know how each one will be no matter what the plan is. Sounds like your second came fast and furious! I can’t even imagine! Thanks for weighing in. :)

29 Tiffany27 May 13, 2016

Thanks again for the updates! Do you think this being your second pregnancy has contributed to your calmess? I’ve read that some women feel more relaxed because they’ve been pregnant before, but then some women become a nervous wreck with pregnancy #2.

30 Lauren May 13, 2016

Angela, I’m at 17 weeks and am so glad to hear that this looking more pregnant at the end of the day thing is typical! I don’t remember it with my first pregnancy.

31 Andrea May 13, 2016

Hi Angela,

What a nice update !! You have a beautiful family! Not that I have ever looked for maternity pants before but I was shopping for jeans on the Jcrew website and I just happened to notice some on sale there. They have nice jeans, so I can’t see why their maternity jeans would be different. I hope this helps!

32 Leanne May 13, 2016

Hi Angela, I used a doula for baby # 1 & 2. With baby #1 I used a conventional doctor and my doula was a huge help before, during and after the labour (loved her). With baby #2 using a midwife, I found there wasn’t much for my doula to do. In fact I could even say she distracted me (there wasn’t much for her to do and I found she was talking with my husband when he could have been more involved with what was taking place in the delivery room). My midwives were amazingly supportive and offered me everything I needed before, during and after labour. With baby #3, I got braver and delivered baby in my own bed at home. I was so proud of myself and loved the home birth experience. It wasn’t scary at all (although people around didn’t approve of a home birth). I didn’t use a doula for baby #3 and I definitely had enough support from my midwives. A home birth with only my midwives was by far my best experience. I can’t recommend midwives enough. I loved being pregnant, loved my deliveries and feel so blessed to have 3 happy, healthy children. Best of health and happiness to you and your family always! Go with your heart, you know what type of relationship you are building with your midwives and you should get a feel for how involved and supportive they will be.

33 Kate May 17, 2016

Congrats on your second pregnancy. Happy to hear things are going well. It’s so much harder with a toddler underfoot!
On the doula/no doula question….something to consider is your midwives call schedule. If you are assigned one or two midwives and they are guaranteed to be present at your birth then I don’t think a doula is perhaps necessary. (as you’ve already established a close relationship with your midwives and are likely very comfortable) However, sometimes they rotate on call similar to OBs so you could end up with a midwife you’ve never met attending your birth. This happened to me at my third birth and I was so disappointed. In retrospect, I wished I had had a doula with me like I had for the other 2 births.
Anyways, I’m sure as you near the end of the pregnancy you’ll just know what is going to be right for you. Be sure to ask at your midwifery clinic what happens on weekends, holidays,etc just to be informed.
Good luck!

34 Sarah Anne May 17, 2016

As a doula and childbirth educator who works with midwives, OBs, home birth, hospital birth, first timers and multips – HIRE A DOULA. My best friend is a midwife and we have totally separate jobs in birth. I really, really recommend having one and I know my friend requires her clients to have doulas for their homebirths. While your labor will most likely be shorter (and the pushing phase a LOT shorter – 2nd time mothers average 15 minutes of pushing!) I really think that a doula can help you in so many ways that really, you shouldn’t expect your midwife to do. They need to be caring for you and your baby’s health!

35 Suzane May 21, 2016

Love the blog and your recipes! You’re amazing how you get it all done with a toddler and pregnancy #2! I ended up finding great maternity jeans with TopShop- they have the under the belly band and are the skinny jeans type- I believe they were called “moto”. Anyway, loved them and look forward to wearing them again this time around- I’m pregnant with #2 as well:)

36 Angela Liddon May 25, 2016

Congrats on your second pregnancy Suzane! And thank you for the kind words. :) I’m off to go look for those maternity jeans…they sound like what I’m looking for.

37 Margaret Q June 3, 2016

Hi Angela! Congrats on baby #2!!! I had my first baby this past January. We had a midwife and gave birth in a hospital with the midwife and a doula. I found a doula that I loved, I really wanted someone to come to my house once labor started and help me to stay there as long as possible so that we didn’t have to be in the hospital for days. She came to our house after labor started and I felt like I needed more support. With my doula and my husband helping me through it, I was already 9cm dialated once we got to the hospital. Our baby girl was born naturally less than 3 hours later (would have been much shorter if she was facing the right direction!). I say doula all the way! Good luck!

38 Angela Liddon June 6, 2016

Thanks Margaret! Congrats on your new little one too. :) It sounds like I had a similar doula experience with my first. We also laboured at home a long time with her, it was so nice. Now I’m debating whether I will have a doula for the second time around.

39 Christine June 4, 2016

Loving your updates – I am currently expecting my first baby and am about a month behind you so it’s great to see what’s coming! I recently bought my first pair of maternity jeans by Mamalicious and I LOVE them. They are the over-bump style but they have adjustable elastic bands threaded through the hips that can be tightened to ensure a good fit, they never fall down. I was amazed how comfortable they are because pre-pregnancy I almost never wore jeans and never found them comfortable.

40 Angela Liddon June 7, 2016

Hey Christine, Congrats on your pregnancy! Those jeans sound really cool. I will check them out! Thanks for the tip. :)

41 Kelsey June 10, 2016

Hi Angela,

So glad you are doing your pregnancy updates again, I love them and I often referred to them with my pregnancy. My little guy is 8 weeks old. I had both a doula and a midwife and I think with my next pregnancy I will likely just have my midwife for support. I believe because my doula was there with me my midwife sat back and wasn’t as hands on, but she was often offering suggestions to my doula (ie telling her to apply pressure to my lower back). I think if my doula wasn’t there she would be doing that stuff herself. I think it can’t hurt to ask your midwives how involved they will be during your labour in terms of providing emotional and physical support. I did not feel like there were too many chefs in the kitchen, but hiring a doula can be costly and may not be necessary with your second pregnancy, just cause you also know what to expect and the midwives are much more hands on than an OB. I’m so happy to hear you went the midwife route, I switched from
OB to midwife at 28 weeks and had a clinic birth at their birthing clinic in Peterborough, ON and it was the most empowering and profound experience of my entire life! I loved having the at home support after, it really helped with my breastfeeding challenges. Anyways I wish you all the best!

42 Angela Liddon June 14, 2016

Hi Kelsey, Thanks for sharing your experience! SO happy it was such a positive one for you. Funny enough, I actually tried to switch to a midwife half way through my last pregnancy, but was unable to due to how booked up they were. I’m so happy to have the opportunity this time around. I’m also looking forward to the home care! What a treat. Congrats on your new little one!

43 Cheryl June 16, 2016

Thank you for your positive post and details about all of your symptoms and pregnancy experiences. I am 17 weeks along with my first, and feeling all that first time around stuff. Its reassuring to here others experiences. All the best to you along your pregnancy, birth and life to come. xoxo