Golden Red Lentil Dal with Cilantro-Speckled Basmati

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 12, 2015

goldenredlentildal3

Asking for help isn’t something that comes to me naturally as I’ve always been a fiercely independent worker. My previous supervisors always commented on this trait almost immediately whether it was in an academic or business setting, and I often took a lot of pride in the fact that I could do things on my own. I never considered that this trait could potentially hold me back from growth. I guess I feared that asking for help would be a sign that I was incompetent, so I avoided it as much as possible. And I often thought that if I could just figure out how to manage my time better, I could do it all on my own. Case in point: In the 7 years that I’ve grown this blog, I’ve yet to hire a team member to help my husband and me.

However, this past year has helped me realize otherwise, at least in some areas of my life (I still have a long way to go). Working with Ashley on the photography for the next book has allowed me to focus more on my biggest passions – the writing and recipe creation – not to mention finish on time! Our working relationship has really opened my eyes to what I could achieve if I just asked for a bit more help. It has been a total light bulb moment. You know what else I realized? Collaboration is so darn fun. So much more fun than trying to do it on my own!

goldenredlentildalveganglutenfree

4.9 from 90 reviews

Golden Red Lentil Dal with Cilantro-Speckled Basmati

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

This easy, flavourful curry is a great one to whip up during the workweek, and leftovers only get better the next day. Light coconut milk makes this curry so luxuriously rich and decadent tasting, while still feeling quite light and energizing. It definitely won’t weigh you down, but I can promise it’ll warm and comfort you on a chilly day. While it’s lovely all on its own (enjoyed like a rich, thick stew), I love it even more spooned over top my cilantro-speckled basmati rice with toasted pepita seeds, sliced green onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. The amount of broth called for yields a very thick consistency; if you’d like it thinner and more “soup-like” feel free to thin it out with a bit more broth (if so, you might need to also increase the spices and seasonings as the extra broth will dilute the flavours). This comforting curry recipe is adapted from Super Fresh: Super Natural, Super Vibrant Vegan Recipes by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal which is a cookbook featuring the recipes from Fresh, one of my favourite vegan restaurants here in Toronto.

Yield
Serves 4 (makes 5 1/2 cups)
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

For the curry:
  • 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or grapeseed oil
  • 1 1/2 cups diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
  • 3 large or 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
  • 1 1/2 cups peeled and finely diced carrots (about 2-3 large)*
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste**
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
  • 1 (14-ounce/398-millilitre) can light coconut milk
  • 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, plus more if desired to thin the broth
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon cane sugar (optional)
  • 1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach
For the rice:
  • 1 cup dry basmati rice
  • 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil or vegan butter
  • 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, or as needed
  • 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, large stems removed and finely chopped***
  • Fine sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Squeeze of fresh lime juice, to taste
Suggested toppings:
  • Green onions, thinly sliced
  • Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
  • Toasted pepita seeds (shelled pumpkin seeds)
  • Squeeze of lime juice (optional)

Directions:

1. For the curry: Add the oil in a large pot and increase heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine. Sautée over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
  2. Stir in the ginger and carrots, and continue sautéing for another few minutes over medium heat.
  3. Add the curry powder, cumin, and turmeric. Stir well. Cook for a minute, until fragrant.
  4. Pick over and rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Stir in the entire can of coconut milk, red lentils, broth, and salt. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered with the lid ajar, for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils and carrots are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom. Stir in a touch more broth if you'd like a slightly thinner consistency. After cooking, stir in all of the spinach until wilted. Stir in the black pepper, cayenne (if using), and sugar (if using). Taste and adjust salt, if desired.
  5. Meanwhile, prepare the rice. Add the rice into a medium pot along with the oil and broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid, and cook for 12 to 16 minutes, until the rice is soft and tender. Fluff with a fork and stir in the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and lime juice. Keep the lid on until ready to serve.
  6. Add a generous scoop of rice on a plate or bowl and top with a couple ladlefuls of curry. Add your desired toppings and serve immediately. Leftovers will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 to 6 days. The curry can also be frozen for up to 4 weeks, possibly longer. For easy freezer storage, add the cooled curry into a freezer-safe bag, press out the air, and freeze on a flat surface. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or simply leave on the counter until mostly thawed.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 1 of 5 bowls | Calories 540 calories | Total Fat 14 grams
Saturated Fat 11 grams | Sodium Fat 390 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 83 grams
Fiber 12 grams | Sugar 8 grams | Protein 21 grams

Recipe makes 5 1/2 cups total.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Tips:

• * The smaller you dice the carrots, the faster they cook! I opt for thinly sliced carrots here to hasten cook time.
  • ** Be sure to use a good-quality curry powder (one you enjoy the taste of) as a poor-tasting one can throw the flavours off. I am quite fond of Simply Organic curry powder.
  • *** Not a cilantro fan? Simply leave it out and prepare the rice without it. No biggie!

redlentildal

Photography credit: Ashley McLaughlin Photography

Last but not least, I want to wish all my fellow Canadians a very Happy Thanksgiving! We’ve been blessed with gorgeous, warm weather this weekend, and I hope you are too. Thank YOU for coming back to this blog time and time again, and for making this career so personally rewarding.

Melissa October 12, 2015 at 8:25 am

Hi Angela! I just wanted to Thank you again for your incredible work doing this blog! Literally you are my go-to-gal for new recipes! I made the salted pumpkin spice syrup last night and woke at 5 am (my 12 month old son actually woke me) and couldn’t get the thought out of my head to have my morning coffee with this stuff! Man. It’s so good. I’m pretty sure I won’t ever have my coffee without this! I adore eggnog…not sure if you had thought about an “eggnog” type syrup next ;) I’m making your lentil walnut balls today. Seriously, thank you for your hard work, dedication, and creative palate:)

Happy Thanksgiving Canadians!

Melissa from Portland Oregon (I wrote to you once before, my son was born Sept 23)

Angela October 12, 2015 at 8:39 am

Hi Melissa,
Thank you for your kind words! That’s so great to hear.
I’m so glad you love the syrup as much as I do. I just ran out and my latte wasn’t the same this morning! haha. I love the idea of an eggnog version. I was also thinking a gingerbread version would be nice too!
Thanks for reading!

Jody October 12, 2015 at 9:38 am

I second the idea of the gingerbread version! I’m going to make the salted pumpkin syrup today!

Laura ~ Raise Your Garden October 13, 2015 at 8:14 am

Gingerbread option sounds awesome!! Happy late Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends all there….I’m just a hop skip over the border in Niagara Falls, but I love both sides! And I love all the for in Canada, so tasty! Another stellar recipe Angela, I confess I’ve never had the confidence to tackle curry on any level before. And congrats on handing the photography torch over ~ I too hate asking for help! For me, I think it’s a middle child trait, but I won’t even ask my mom to help, or babysit or anything, I just suck it up and do everything myself and that’s not great either. But yes, bosses do love this trait.

poe October 12, 2015 at 6:11 pm

can you use any other herb i am allergic to cilantro?

Audrey November 3, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I always substitute parsley for cilantro whenever I see it in a recipe; works great!

Sarah November 29, 2015 at 10:01 am
Recipe Rating:

Thank you for this recipe! My 8 month old daughter loved it!

Sarah Noelle October 12, 2015 at 8:27 am

This looks amazing!! I’m doing a challenge this month where I’m not buying any restaurant or takeout food, and instead I’m cooking all my meals at home. I had been looking around for a nice Fall-themed recipe that I could freeze so that I don’t have to cook a new meal every evening when I get home from work, and it looks like this is going to be it! :)
Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Sarah Noelle October 28, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Recipe Rating:

Aaaaaaand, just to follow up, I made this and it is delicious! I’m bringing it to work for lunch all week. :)

Lo November 2, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Recipe Rating:

Agreed. Making it for the second time tonight, but trying it with black rice this time around. I’ve been craving it since I had it!

Alys October 12, 2015 at 8:37 am

You read my mind! I love red lentils. They’re sooo nutritious and easy to prepare. I’m training for my first 50k so I have been eating a lot of lentils (and quinoa) but am getting tired of my usual Ethiopian style lentils. This will be perfect, plus it’s another type of recipe where I can jam as many vegetables as I want in. Love your recipes!

Jessica Rose October 12, 2015 at 8:51 am

I have a friend, who like you doesn’t like *help* and she admitted she hated the thought she wasn’t good at something or that people would look badly on her if she admitted she couldn’t do something!

With regards to the recipe, I shall give it a go but I only cook for myself so sometimes it’s hard to adjust the ingredients correctly. If I make a big batch of something, I will just eat more than I should!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:58 am

Curry tends to freeze well, so that might be an option? Would hate for you to miss this one! haha

Kris October 12, 2015 at 9:19 am

Thank you for being such an inspiration and sharing your passion for health eating! Can’t express how much I enjoy your blog and cookbook! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sarah October 12, 2015 at 9:38 am

So glad you are back, Angela! Asking for help is always tough but really pays off when you finally do it. I’m so happy you now have the time to get back to your passion. I love your recipes, stories, teas and stories you share about your daughter. Can’t wait for you new cookbook next year!

Annaliese October 12, 2015 at 9:40 am

Yes!! I too have had that comment given to me-both as praise and a “area that needs work” (to which I almost always take offense to!). I Blame my midwestern farming family for this-the typical “hardworking, get your work done before play” midwestern attitude. But I too have been slowly realizing the SAME thing: asking for help isn’t a bad thing…and sometimes, tasks don’t have to be hard/stressful in order to feel fulfilling. It is a work-in-progress for sure! So glad you are finding balance-it is such a challenge!! Looking forward to reading more of your posts and recipes, and seeing Ashley’s photography!

Christine October 12, 2015 at 9:45 am

Happy Thanksgivng.
I made a lentil Shepard pie, vegan stuffing and a mushroom gravy. For the veg it was Maple sriracha roasted Brussel sprouts. For dessert made your Pumpkin oatmeal squares. Also made your recipe for pumpkin spice syrup. It was a lot of cooking but loved everything I made.
I also love fresh. Love the quinoa onion rings and the cornbread and hummus.

Christine

Simi @ The Micro Harvest October 12, 2015 at 9:50 am

Happy Thanksgiving!! Thank you for continuing to share delish & healthy recipes!

Heidi Kokborg October 12, 2015 at 9:51 am

It’s good to have you back, Angela! I have missed your wonderful recipes! I think it’s very admirable you’ve asked for help. I have an issue with asking for help too. I always want to do things on my own. Asking for help just seems so hard. However, I am working on it and your words are very inspiring. If you can ask for help then so can I.
I can’t wait to try out the dal. I love Indian food so I am sure this recipe is a winner in my kitchen :)

Becca October 12, 2015 at 9:58 am

Hi Angela I just want to thank you for all of your hard work. I love your recipes and your blog. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve sent your website or lent your cookbook. I’ve been following you for years but never thanked you for all the yummy recipes and veggies my family eats on the reg because of you so THANK YOU!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 10:12 am

Thank you Becca, that means the world to me to hear! Thank you for spreading the love too. :)

Valérie October 12, 2015 at 10:01 am

Happy Thanksgiving Angela !
I’m so glad you’re back. This looks so amazing I’ll do it this week for sure.
I think that in the last year and a half, not two days straight has gone by without one of your recipes in my house (tiny appartment). Thank you so much for your great work and wonderful ideas. You make cooking fun, comforting, simple, healthy and compassionate all at the same time ! I can’t wait for your next book, next post, next recipe, next anything. Sometimes I feel like you’re my friend even if we don’t know each other. I’ll comment back in a few days to tell you how much I love this dal (I’m sure it will be a lot) !

P.S I’m sorry if I made some grammatical error I’m from Montreal, little french canadian(quebecoise) that I am.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

You are too kind Valérie! Thank you for trying so many recipes. I think you and I would hit it off just fine! hah.

Kate October 12, 2015 at 10:03 am

Great to see this recipe – I was thinking of making something Indian spiced this week. Do you have any alternate instructions for using brown rice instead of white Basmati?

I understand your need to get someone else to do photography – work, writing a book, baby – it must be crazy. But I much prefer your photos. The photos above lack the warmth of your work, with the antiseptic white background. It would have looked much better with a white bowl on a rustic wood background or patterned cloth. I also miss some of the super close up and cut-off shots you do. Hopefully your collaborator will start to get the feel of your work, and improve with time.

Liz October 12, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Ashley takes gorgeous photos, there’s no doubt about that. They are so clean and so polished, but I agree with you about the preferring Angela’s photography. There’s a certain warmth and welcoming aspect to it–whether it’s the from a wooden cutting board or parchment paper underneath the food or interesting utensils/dishes used or even photos of the dish in various steps as it’s being prepared. I do really enjoy her close ups as you said.
I also understand being overwhelmed and stretched too thin; I like to do everything myself too, and I mean EVERYTHING. But that’s more of my OCD and my quest for everything to be perfect, and who can get everything the way I want it other than me, right? Ha ha. I think taking some of the load off your plate will be a good thing. I would love to see more recipes so I can’t wait for your upcoming blog posts! I’d be lying if I said I don’t check your blog regularly before I even check my email. :P

Angela October 15, 2015 at 8:32 am

Hi Kate and Liz,

Thank you for your thoughts! I really appreciate your passion for my photography. I also totally understand that you’ve come to expect a certain style of photography on this blog.

Early on in the second book process, I decided on a clean look for the book photography, so the entire book would have a cohesive feel, not to mention, I wanted it to look new and fresh! I also wanted to move away from the rustic photography for the book because I was starting to tire of the rustic look and felt it has been overdone in recent years. Change can be great, and I am absolutely thrilled with how the book came together! She totally nailed it. So with this in mind, I thought extending a similar style to the blog would be a nice change and both of us are still working on nailing the style for the blog. I agree that we can bring in some more warmth to the photography and I know Ash is fully on board too. The good news is that she is capable of a wide range of styles, and she’s extremely talented. My readers have been telling me “we need more recipes” for a while now, so this is my solution to be able to do that. It’s not necessarily forever, but we’re going to try it out.

I also haven’t ruled out shooting a recipe here and there if I have a chance, as I don’t plan on leaving it behind entirely. Anyway, this is just a note to say that we hear you and that this is a process for both of us. :) Thanks for weighing in and for your kind words about my blog.

Tammy Root October 12, 2015 at 10:57 am

Ashley takes amazing pics. And, your recipes are divine. Perfect match. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 12, 2015 at 10:57 am

Happy Thanksgiving Ange!!! I hope you guys had a fantastic one, and I so, so admire you for making the decision to bring on some help. As a type-A myself, I can totally identify with the way you described feeling like it’s an issue of better time management as opposed to something that could be fixed with collaboration. I’m constantly trying to manage my time better, streamline workflows and get more done in less time at the same (or better) quality. It can be rewarding when it happens, but at the same time, can be very exhausting too! I love that you and Ashley are collaborating now, and can’t wait to see the delicious results!

As for this recipe, I think we’re on the same wavelength when it comes to loving lentils! I recently made a lentil-based curry (to be posted on the blog this week!) and am just loving the texture they create. This dal sounds fantastic and because I always seem to have more lentils than I know what to do with, I’ll be making it next!

Rachel October 12, 2015 at 11:00 am

This recipe looks so good! Do you think it would work with green lentils instead? I’m not opposed to buying red ones, I just have a ton of green ones right now! I just bought some coconut milk, guess I know what I’m using it for!

Dani Mendocha @ Styled Variety October 12, 2015 at 11:24 am

This dish sounds absolutely perfect, I recently tried lentils for the first time and now I am completely obsessed! This recipe sounds perfect to try for dinner this week! :)

Amanda October 12, 2015 at 11:37 am

Angela! So good to have you back on the blog on a regular basis. I know writing the 2nd cookbook must have been crazy hectic, but the lack of meal postings recently has been noticed. I’ve been so unmotivated without you. Excited to try this new recipe though! Thanks for coming back to us!!!

Annie October 12, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thank you, thank you for this recipe. I love a simple, nourishing, and delicious weeknight meal and most of these ingredients are pantry staples. Bonus! I will be trying it very soon. I also want to tell you how much I am enjoying the pumpkin lattes. Just finished one now, in fact. I didn’t have coconut sugar, so I subbed with date sugar. It resulted in more of a paste than a syrup, but I don’t mind. The taste is amazing.
On another note, it’s wonderful that you sought help. I tend to do things myself, too, mainly because it’s uncomfortable for me to feel like I’m putting people out. And it makes me feel vulnerable. Which is really sad when you think about it. We should celebrate the fact that we need each other. I always feel more open when I accept help.

Diae October 12, 2015 at 12:58 pm

So glad your back!!!!! Letting others work along side of you isn’t a sign of weakness it is “synergy” in action! With that comes a renewed energy and like you said an opportunity to focus more on what you want. So happy to be cooking more of your amazing recipes. Happy Thanksgiving!

Pam October 12, 2015 at 1:18 pm

It’s so nice to have you back! As always, your recipes are awesome and we’re enjoying them immensely. Looking forward to all the new posts, and of course, the new cookbook. Thanks for all the hours you put in to make just the right blends of flavors and textures for all of us out here doing our best to eat healthy!

Jessica October 12, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I am so happy to hear you will be posting regularly again! Also greatly looking forward to your next book, I have absolutely loved everything I’ve tried out of your first book (and I’ve tried a LOT of the recipes!)

Kristina October 12, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Than you so so much for all the work you do on your wonderful website! I am expecting baby number six and am reacting horribly to dairy products and am severely allergic to wheat. I find so many wonderful recipes on your blog! God bless you!

Sara October 12, 2015 at 4:11 pm

The past two recipes have knocked it out of the park. I’m looking forward to trying this, I think I have all the ingredients in the pantry too. Have a happy thanksgiving!

Kerstin October 12, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I’m making this now. I’ve already tasted it, and it’s delicious. I added one small sweet potato in with the carrots, and I’ll be heading to my garden to pick some chard in place of the spinach. I’m cooking quinoa instead of basmati, since that’s what I have. I have been looking for a recipe like this. Thank you, Angela!

Lori October 12, 2015 at 5:05 pm

I can’t wait to make this, it looks delicious!! As a long time reader of both you and Ashley’s blog I noticed the switch in photography before it was mentioned. :) Good luck with the collaboration, it’s off to a great start!

Becs October 12, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

Delicious! Just made this for dinner. Marketed it to my 2 year old as “rice and dip” and he had two servings!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:54 am

“marketed”…haha, love that! I’m picking up tips here.

Liz October 12, 2015 at 9:17 pm
Recipe Rating:

Delicious! I made this tonight for dinner. I added a little hot sauce on top. Would also be yummy with sweet potato instead of carrots. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:53 am

Good call on the hot sauce – I’m loving sriracha right now and that would be great! I also think sweet potato, or butternut squash would work in this too. Can’t wait to try it.

Jane October 12, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Thank you for your delicious recipes. Our family is transitioning to more plant based eating and your blog and recipe book have made it easier. All the recipes we have tried have turned out really well. I have been sharing this with my friends and family. Thanks for this post today. It inspires us to keep eating well after this big food weekend.

Jane Ivey

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:53 am

Thank you Jane, I’m so thrilled to hear that!

Bella B October 12, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! The colour in this is divine! I really like lentils and have always wanted to try Dal.

xoxoBella | http://xoxobella.com

Lauren October 12, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Angela,
Thank you for finding a way to expand your personal “brand”.. Cookbooks, tea shoppe….while still finding the time to do what many of your readers love… Your blog.
I admire your work, adore your recipes and especially appreciate how well you’ve juggled becoming a mother with being a successful business woman.
I can’t wait for your next post!
Cheers,
Lauren.

Stephanie October 12, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Have you ever tried a pressure cooker? So worth it! You can make this dish in 6 minutes! I got myself an instant pot and love it, you can also make your own yoghurt! I would love to get good yoghurt recipes… Nice challenge for you ;)

Lynndel Flack January 24, 2017 at 11:09 am

Hi Stephanie,
How did you do this in an instant pot? Do you just put it all in there together and cook it? I just got an Instant pot and I’m wanting to use it.
Lynndel

Karin October 13, 2015 at 1:24 am

The recipe sounds yummy and I am looking forward to trying it and it’s future companions. I am glad that working with Ashley will make it possible for us to enjoy more of your creations.

Janine October 13, 2015 at 4:08 am

Hi Angela,

I will definitely be making this in the not too distant future, it looks and sounds delicious. So glad that you will be making more of an appearance… I have missed your blog posts and recipes a lot…I absolutely adore your writing style and honesty. You’re an inspiration and one of a small handful of people that inspired me to have a complete change of career and start studying naturopathic nutrition so thank you. xx

Anna October 13, 2015 at 5:24 am

amazing!! love this :)

Alison October 13, 2015 at 6:04 am

Love this post and your comments on collaboration and how those relationships can help us grow as individuals. I’ve always appreciated your insights as well as your awesome recipes. Cheers to healthy eating!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:51 am

Thanks Alison :)

Florence October 13, 2015 at 6:33 am

What timing! Just this morning I was thinking, what can. Do with the red lentils and coconut milk in my cupboard. Now I have the answer. Looking forward to making this. Glad you are back sharing recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:51 am

Don’t you love a good pantry meal?! I know I do. Hope you enjoy it!

Florence October 14, 2015 at 10:20 pm

And it was delicious!

Doris Hannon October 13, 2015 at 6:59 am

Glad you’re back & love your recipes. I have everything to make this except for red lentils. I do have brown & green lentils, which would you recommend in place of the red lentils?

Jill October 13, 2015 at 7:53 am

I’m going to miss your photography on the blog, but at the end of the day, if it allows you to focus your time and energy where you’d prefer, I think that’s a great decision. We can’t do everything ourselves!

Karen October 13, 2015 at 7:57 am

Hi Angela and welcome back! Glad to hear all went well with your book…excited! I’ve been eagerly waiting a new savory recipe from you, and this one has my name written all over it. I just wanted to point out a minor typo in the recipe: I think you want to bringt the lentils, etc. to a quick boil (vs. simmer) before reducing heat. ‘Til soon…

Karen October 13, 2015 at 7:58 am

Ha…talk about typos – “bring!”

Kathy C October 13, 2015 at 8:35 am

This recipe comes at a perfect time as the weather is cooling and I am craving warm comfort foods! Cant wait to make it.

SO glad to hear you will be blogging more and sharing more recipes…I pretty much live off your recipes ;) I can relate to the challenge of asking for help completely. Sounds like you are blessed to find a great compliment to your work with Ashley’s drool worthy photos.

Stacy Cochran October 13, 2015 at 8:38 am

I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight when your email arrived. And done! I know what we are eating now. This looks amazing. And my kids LOVE basmati rice. Smells amazing when it’s cooking. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:50 am

I hope you enjoy it Stacy. And I couldn’t agree more about the smell of basmati rice!! so amazing.

Nova October 13, 2015 at 8:57 am

Hi Angela,
My friend Emily turned me on to your blog and book over a year ago but it wasn’t until today that I made my first dish by you. The golden red lentil dal! This smells divine. I love anything with coconut. I’ve only sampled it now; I’m saving it for lunch. Yay! I have a good feeling that this is something I’ll be making over and over again.
Best wishes,
Nova

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 9:50 am

Nova, I’m so happy you tried it! Thank you for the lovely comment :)

Hannah October 13, 2015 at 9:38 am
Recipe Rating:

I was already planning on making a lentil soup last night, but when I saw this and realized I had all the ingredients, it seemed like fate to just make it into a full meal. I LOVE the flavors of coconut + curry. This was as easy as it gets and definitely a keeper.

ps. congrats on the cookbook and the new photography news. I love Ashley’s work!

Kari October 13, 2015 at 11:22 am

Wow this looks so fragrant and delicious!

Pure Ella October 13, 2015 at 12:07 pm

“You can do anything but not everything.”
That is a quote I tell myself all the time.
I think I’m much like you…. I struggle with letting go so much too but I’m inspired by you to make a few changes here in my life with a blog, a book and a baby too.

You made a great decision to get Ashley on board.
The recipe looks stunning and I can’t wait to try this recipe! :)
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend!!
xoxo ella

Ashley October 13, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I totally am the same way when it comes to asking for help. It always feels so difficult, but there is such relief when you realize you don’t have to do everything on your own.

So excited for your next cookbook, I literally just read your first one in my free time because I think the whole thing is so lovely. (And obviously I make your recipes on a regular basis).

Thanks so much for the work you do,and your honesty while you do it.

Ashley October 13, 2015 at 12:33 pm

So glad you are back! I felt like something in my life was missing without this blog, haha. I’m sure the book will be worth it though!

Nadine October 13, 2015 at 1:28 pm

You have amazing recepies here. thank you.
And here small advertisement from us. We are asking for help.
Go vegan! ♥
gofundme.com/575akwz8

Christina October 13, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and it was a huge hit for the whole family. My almost 2 year old could not get enough of it…kept repeating “tasty…more!’. Thank you – it’s a keeper!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2015 at 9:00 am

aw that’s so cute! So happy it was a hit :)

JC October 13, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I got your blog post this morning, quickly realized I had all the ingredients and made it tonight for dinner. It was awesome. Thank you for such fabulous, healthy recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2015 at 8:49 am

So glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Susannah (Lemon and Coconut) October 14, 2015 at 8:11 am
Recipe Rating:

Mmmmm, I love daal so much, what a lovely fresh looking recipe thanks! So glad things are going so well with your book, it’s so beautiful :)

Kate October 14, 2015 at 8:51 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night with brown lentils and it was fantastic! It made our house smell so good. My husband added smoked pork and a sunny-side up egg to his and loved it. Great to see you back!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2015 at 8:57 am

So glad you loved it! I’m happy brown lentils worked too. :)

Mackenzie October 14, 2015 at 9:53 am

Hi Angela,

Just thought I’d let you know how great it is you’re posting again!! I’ve been checking the blog regularly hoping for some new content and was elated to see this curry post!! Also would like to say that Ashley’s photos are stunning.. I’m such a fan of clean, crisp, bright, white photos and hers are stunning!!! I love how she capture the details of each post so well.

Fall 2016 can’t come soon enough! I may have to take a week off just to make all of your new cookbook recipes when it comes out :P

Liv Faye October 14, 2015 at 10:49 am
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela, I’ll definitely add these lentils to my weekly dinner planner, it looks easy to make :) Right now I’m loving all things curried. Thanks for sharing, you’re an amazing recipe developer!

Lanz October 14, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

Delicious! As a plant based eater and lover of Indian food this recipe was right up my alley. Although I’ve never put canned coconut milk in my lentils. It gave the lentils a very silky and creamy flavor. I’m not sure I’ll ever make lentils without coconut milk ever again!

Also, I’ve been trying to get my boyfriend to eat healthier as well as adopt a healthier lifestyle, and he also loved this dish! For lunch the next day we used out leftovers to make lavash wraps and added fresh spinach and siracha! Thanks for the great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2015 at 11:42 am

I’m so happy it was so enjoyed :) Thanks for trying it! I agree about the coconut milk…it’s such a great addition and adds just that pop of sweetness that’s needed to balance the spices.

Nic October 14, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wonderful! As always, you swooped in with a perfect Plan B to save dinner when we realized several ingredients for Plan A were missing. This was quick, used stuff we had, and delicious! Thumbs up from the whole family, including toddler and baby.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2015 at 11:41 am

That’s great! :)

Aleisha October 14, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Hi Angela!
First of all, I would like to commend you on all of the wonderful recipes that you have created for both your blog and your first book. I truly enjoy trying them and it has opened up a world of wonderful vegan meals that my meat-loving hubby is more than happy to eat :)
I recently invested in a slow cooker and would love to be able to adapt some of your soup and stew recipes for the slow cooker. Is there any way that you can suggest adaptations to recipes like this one? Or even perhaps a blog post highlighting some of your past recipes that would be perfect for slow cooking?

Any advice you can offer would be fantastic!

Thanks so much. I cannot wait for your second book!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2015 at 11:40 am

Thank you Aleisha! I don’t use my slow cooker very often but I will keep it in mind for future recipes as I know how convenient they are!

Megan October 14, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Made this last night and it’s amazing! Thank you so much for all of your delicious recipes!

Jan October 14, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just made this for dinner….. Holy!!!! It is delicious, as someone who eats ALOT of lentils this is definitely going to the top of my list for go to recipes. Big big thanks for this one

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2015 at 10:33 am

Aw thanks so much, I’m thrilled you love it as much as I do.

Anne October 14, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight. Simple, fast and great. Thank you! I love the blog recipes that are great weeknight staples, and then for the weekends I happily spend hours with the your recipes that require a bit more time. And like everyone else – can’t wait for book #2.

Amanda October 15, 2015 at 7:58 am
Recipe Rating:

Happy Thanksgiving from McMaster University! Just made a huge batch of this for an easy lunch to help get me through midterms. So happy you’re back to regular blogging, keep up the good work and am already so excited for book 2 :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2015 at 10:30 am

Thank you Amanda! I appreciate the kind words :)

Allison October 15, 2015 at 10:05 am

Hi Angela-
So glad to see you back! I will be trying this recipe this weekend-I can’t wait. Your recipes have changed my life. I stumbled upon your beautiful cookbook in a authentic little gem of a bookstore in Sag Harbor, N.Y., and I have been making ALL your recipes ever since. I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor and took the leap to veganism after I bought your cookbook. I feel like I am doing something every day to keep myself well. Thank you- you truly are inspiring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2015 at 10:30 am

Hi Allison, This warms my heart to hear. Thank you so much! And I wish you all the best with your lifestyle changes! Sounds like you’ve made some amazing additions to your diet. :) I wish you continued health and recovery. All my best,
Angela

Mackenzie October 15, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Recipe Rating:

Made this last night… so incredibly delicious and flavourful! I swapped the basmati for brown rice since it was all I had on hand.. it was so yummy! My husband adores curry and said it was one of the best curry dishes he’s ever had. Thanks for the recipe that will now be a weeknight staple

Pam G. October 15, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Recipe Rating:

All I can say is WOW! Made this tonight and I had all I could do to not have a second bowl, and my first bowl was huge! The flavors are amazing and adding the pepitas, green onions, cilantro made a party in my mouth! Thank you so much for this delicious and healthy recipe. :)

katie October 15, 2015 at 11:20 pm
Recipe Rating:

This was delicious! Absolutely perfect for a blustery fall day. The lime really kicks the flavour up a notch.

Kay October 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm

This recipe is totally delicious! We made it last night, and it is very hearty and warming. One note is that the portions seem off: there was more than enough curry for about 5 people, but only enough rice for 2 (maybe stretched to 3). I’ll definitely make this again, but next time increase the rice portion :)

Melissa @ BestFoodProcessorGuide October 17, 2015 at 4:11 am
Recipe Rating:

Wow! That Lentil Dal looks absolutely delicious :D thanks for the recipe, pinned!

amali October 17, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I usually don’t add carrot or cilantro to dhal. Am used to curry leaves in dhal. But definitely gonna try with cilantro and carrot.

Anne October 17, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Made this for lunch today and my husband (meat lover) asked me to make this every week. Success!!! I always love your photography and thought you do a wonderful job. However, I can also appreciate making the most of your time and sharing the spotlight with other talented women. So good job listening to what works for you! Really looking forward to reading about your baby’s first birthday party :-) and can’t wait for oh she glows cookbook number two!

KC October 17, 2015 at 11:03 pm
Recipe Rating:

YUM!!! Just made this with butternut squash in place of the carrots and the flavors are just incredible! So hearty, warming and delicious…a perfect fall dish! Can’t wait for leftovers throughout the week! This will definitely be my go-to curry recipe! Thank you for sharing!

Kathryn Sharpe October 18, 2015 at 8:21 am
Recipe Rating:

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! My boyfriend, a self-confessed carnivore, made it for me after a long day at school and it was the second time he’s ever cooked something vegan. Not only was it delicious but the instructions were so easy to follow for someone new to this way of cooking. A lovely, warming meal to come home to!

Liz October 18, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Recipe Rating:

Made this tonight and it was a hit! So yummy! Even my grandma, hater of all exotic foods, enjoyed it! So excited that I have leftovers to look forward to to brighten up my Monday :)

Cait October 18, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow, I made this for my husband and I tonight and we absolutely loved it!! I used green lentils as I didn’t have any red lentils. Flavour powerhouse =) Will definitely be making this again.

Kathleen October 18, 2015 at 9:54 pm

YUM! I always love your recipes, and this one looks like another winner… Just wondering, as I have a son just a couple months younger than Adriana: every can of coconut milk I’ve found has guar gum in it… Even the organic ones from Whole Foods :( Is this true for the coconut milk in Canada, too? Did you use it for recipes for baby when she was less than a year? I’m sure it won’t actually hurt him… I’ve just been trying to avoid those types of stabilizers and additives but it seems impossible in this case (of course, except for making my own coconut milk…)

p.s. I have my fingers crossed you will be sharing her one-year birthday cake recipe, if you chose to celebrate that way…

Kris October 19, 2015 at 8:27 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this the other night and it’s the first curry I’ve made that has restaurant-quality consistency. Really good. I threw some peas in as well. I’ll definitely be making this again!

Allison October 19, 2015 at 8:51 am

I made this on Saturday. It was perfect! I will definitely add this to my rotation. :)

Heleen October 19, 2015 at 9:27 am
Recipe Rating:

I just made this for lunch: it was easy, hearty and comforting: just what I needed!

Leanna October 19, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hey, I tried this recipe last night. At first I was a bit disappointed– I found the flavour a bit flat and the light coconut milk too rich– so I added half a squeezed lemon and bang! It was a 5/5. I gave it 4 starts because the recipe just notes lime as an optional garnish but I found it critical to stir in the acid at the end to satisfy my tastes. Thanks for yet another delicious and crowd-pleasing vegan recipe :)

Michelle October 19, 2015 at 8:31 pm
Recipe Rating:

Thanks for the great recipe. I always enjoy a good curry and this one was so simple to make after work:)

Erin October 20, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Angela,

You have outdone yourself with this recipe! Oh my goodness I have been on the road for a couple of weeks for work and haven’t been able to cook for myself. This was the first thing I made in my own kitchen after returning home and all I can say is WOW! It is so yummy and perfect for the fall. Your blog seriously makes my day and I am counting down until your 2nd cookbook comes out.

You are my idol!

-Erin

Diana October 20, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

What makes this recipe is the carrots and flavoured rice. I’ve made a similar recipe in the past and the carrot in there gives a pleasing sweetness. The rice I could just eat on its own; even my husband loved the rice and wanted to know what I put in there.

Kathryn October 21, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Wow this looks so good. I just moved into a new house with a great kitchen and I’m excited to get cooking! Having a space you like to cook in makes such a difference!

Asking for help is hard! I always feel like I don’t want to inconvenience anybody! I always try to remember that I LOVE LOVE LOVE to help people. It is one of my favorite things. I’m trying really hard to take people up on their offers to help. Most recently my friend offered to help clean our old apartment and I’m so incredibly grateful for the help!

Sandie M. October 21, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this just this past weekend. It made enough for two large servings and I had enough leftover for my work lunches for three days this week. It was absolutely delicious! I followed the recipe to the letter and it tasted more delicious the longer it stayed in the fridge. I will definitely be making this again :) Thanks Angela!

Marcin October 22, 2015 at 6:59 pm

It looks awesome, I can not wait to do your recipe :) Thank you

Carolyn October 22, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

I am so glad you are back!!! I tried this recipe tonight and it was incredible. I will definitely make this throughout the fall and winter because it was incredibly easy and also fantastic. I used a red onion and some kind of hot curry powder from the Indian grocery store. Thanks for sharing!!

Meghan October 23, 2015 at 9:17 am
Recipe Rating:

We made this the other night and it was so, so good! And it made enough leftovers for a few extra meals! Thanks!

Calla October 24, 2015 at 12:47 pm

This looks delicious! I’m allergic to coconut – would you recommend that I substitute something else for the coconut milk, or just leave it out?

Calla October 24, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Should have added: I’m also allergic to tree nuts and peanuts, so those aren’t viable for me.

Sharissa October 25, 2015 at 6:42 pm

One can never have too many lentil curries.

Lee October 26, 2015 at 7:06 am

Hi Angela, Iooking forward to more of your posts! I completely relate with the enormous effort food photography requires. I too have a backlog of recipes to share that are languishing in my files because I haven’t photographed them yet. In fact, I recently recruited my husband to help. He’s learning the food photography ropes quickly; I think his skills will surpass mine soon! Anyhow, I look forward to your future posts, along with Ashley’s photos. :-)

Marcia October 26, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I say BRAVO! for realizing the need and bringing a competent photographer (aka. Ashley!) on board! I bet you feel the flood of creative juices flowing already!

I LOVE curry and I’m always looking for a new way to use lentils thank you once again. My husband will be thrilled because he loves basmati rice (especially the white version – I mostly use brown) and I can almost see the smile on his face when I serve it!

I’m going to leave you with a quote from an incredible woman: Debra J. Crumpton. She is a magnificent speaker, teacher, lecturer and, and, and. She spoke at a meeting I attended many years ago and when I heard it (the quote), it almost knocked me out of my chair! Here goes:

“Are you willing to give up who you are
to become who you can be?”

Anyone can apply that to just about any problem they are having. What is often the biggest obstacle when things aren’t going as we like? Ourselves! Changing can be scary, the old way is comfortable, new can be harder, but if you make an effort to give up whatever is holding you back, you will find that you will soar!

I applaud you for taking that first step!

Marcia
PS. My favorite curry powder is Muchi Curry seasoning by Whole Foods Market. Thank you again, for another yummy recipe!

Alicia October 27, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I just have to say Thank you! I have recently changed my diet to eating whole, clean foods related to digestive issues. Your recipes have been a God-send. It isn’t always easy to find great recipes with this diet/lifestyle and you make food fun! I feel so much better when I eat this way. I just made this recipe and it is SO good! I couldn’t stop saying, “mmm” the whole time I was eating it! I followed the recipe to a “T”, minus substituting green lentils for red as those were I all I had on hand. Excellent! And the toppings made this dish!

Thank you again and thank you Jesus for your inspiring recipes! Blessings!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hi Alicia, Thank you so much for the kind words! I truly appreciate it. So happy you enjoyed this Dal.

Bindhu October 27, 2015 at 4:02 pm
Recipe Rating:

Am Indian and have grown up eating dahl. Made this today and I have to say, it was pretty good! Doubled up each spice and added a generous pinch of garam masala and Chilli flakes, as well as Thai birds eye chilli. I was slightly sceptical of this recipe but I’m defo going to be making this again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I’m so glad it passed your test! Thanks for weighing in. :)

Amanda October 29, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hey Angela!
Oh man, I have been repeating recipes from your cookbook and was aching for more recipes from you as no other recipes compare! This blog discovery was the best thing next to sliced bread and is still oh so flavourful! Can’t wait for your second cookbook to come out. This Dal? oh m goodness thank you to the looord you exist! You make veganism a heck of a lot easier.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Thanks so much Amanda!

Kacey November 2, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’m currently trying to become vegetarian and made this recipe for my first vegetarian meal. I was not disappointed at all! This recipe is full of flavor and easy to make. I will definitely be making this dish again soon! :)

Shannon November 2, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this today subbing finely chopped sweet potatoes for carrots because it was all I had. It was fantastic and came together very quickly. Way better than the dal you would get at a restaurant!

Shai November 3, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Angela!

Count our family amongst your fans :) Been working with your recipes for a couple of years and I have yet to try one that wasn’t awesome!

Question about this one… we prefer to use the flat green lentils instead of red… I know they take longer to cook so how would you suggest I word with them? Should I partially cook the green lentils for 15 minutes or so and then add it in with the rest? Any other suggestions?

BTW, one tip I would share with people planning on having leftovers is to add spinach into individual bowls and stir it in while hot to help wilt it… much better than reheating spinach and have it lose its vibrancy…

Thanks!

Shai

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2015 at 8:46 am

Hi Shai,

Thanks for your kind words! I haven’t tried this with green lentils yet so I’m not sure about the cooking time. I think your idea about pre-cooking them a bit sounds like a great plan. Hope it works out for you! I know other readers have mentioned they used green lentils with success in this recipe.

Shai November 5, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Hi Angela,

Great to hear back from you. I did indeed make it with the green lentils and I precooked 1.5 cups of them with 2 cups of water for about 15 minutes. It was perfect in that the water absorbed in that time so I didn’t have to drain it…

I then continued with the rest of the recipe, cooking it for another 15-20 minutes with stock and man o man it is delicious… My 3 year old loves it too! We’ve enjoyed it two night in a row…

Other adaptations I made is I used quinoa instead of rice (2-1 with the stock) and it cooked in 20 minutes. And as I mentioned previous I put it all on a bed of spinach so that it would wilt but then we’d be able to add fresh spinach when eating leftovers (it gave a lot of leftovers for our family of 3)..

I skipped on the cilantro because I didn’t think my daughter would like that, but I would do the same thing and add it fresh to individual portions rather than add it to everything…

Thanks!!

Nancy November 5, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is a PERFECT recipe!!!!!!! Easy and quick to make, all of my family LOVE this delicious and wonderful curry! :)

Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe! :)

Catherine November 5, 2015 at 10:02 pm

I love this recipe. I have made it twice (in less than two weeks). Second time, I added some diced red potatoes (and skipped the rice). DELICIOUS!!! Thank you so much.

Catherine November 5, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Oh… I meant to comment, I used a mixture of lentils (red, black, and green) because it’s what I had in the pantry. I also soaked them overnight before cooking so it cuts down on cooking time.

Chris November 9, 2015 at 11:58 am

Delicious! For the carnivorous members of my family, I used some chicken. The curry is quite tasty, perfect for a fall day. The fresh ginger, cilantro, garlic and green onion make it special

Sanatha November 10, 2015 at 10:01 am
Recipe Rating:

All my family loved this meal. Such a great combination of flavor. And OMG never thought of making cilantro rice, it became MY FAV OF ALL!!!!

Johanna November 10, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is a total winner, Angela. My husband made it for dinner last night, and it was perfect, as written (as usual!). The rice is particularly good–my 4 yo son gobbled it up. We’ll be making this one again for sure. Thank you for all your careful work and testing. It sure comes through in the recipes. We’ve never had a fail. This one is no exception. Delicious! I’m savoring the lunch leftovers as we speak. :)

Christine November 12, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made this twice now and it’s super delicious! I’ve recently had to go dairy free and it’s been hard figuring out what to eat.

Cait November 13, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this recipe last night for the first time. It was amazing! Very simple ingredients and very wholesome and nourishing meal. When I was at the market, they had two types of curry powder: one was regular curry powder and the other was the extra spicy powder. I played it safe and went with the regular curry powder, but I think next time I’ll try the extra spicy curry powder for a little added kick. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Laurie November 16, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow! I am not a big fan of lentils. I now realize that I just wasn’t a fan of how they are prepared.

This recipe was quick and totally delicious! I can’t say enough great things about it. Thank you for all of your hard work, it is really delicious!

Nikki November 16, 2015 at 4:42 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow, this was SO DELICIOUS!! And really, pretty quick to put together! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes!

Marie December 9, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this a few weeks back and it was a huge success at home! I made it again for a pot luck at work (As it’s basically allergy free hehe) with some naan bread to “spoon” it. It was again a massive success all around and everyone loved it. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Donna December 12, 2015 at 2:19 am

Just wanted to check with you. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and I have heard cumin can cause a problem for those with peanut allergies. I know I would just leave that out but wondered if others had the same information.

Karen December 16, 2015 at 9:18 am
Recipe Rating:

This was WAY out of my wheelhouse but, I did it! I made it. And we liked it. I have made a second time. I loved the smells while it is all cooking. I absolutely lose my mind when the “healthy” recipes taste like you are eating cardboard or camel dung (never really tasted camel dung, but you get the idea) but, your recipes are actually easy to make and taste really, really good. I am not vegan, or vegetarian, I just would like to eat healthier. And try some new things. Thank you for a marvelous website to explore! I just discovered the Almond Milk recipe – I have been buying it for years at the store but, will now make my own. take good care

Grace December 29, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Recipe Rating:

This straightforward recipe produces a large quantity of balanced flavorful dal. The light coconut milk was a great addition. This recipe is better than many vegetarian dals that are either bland or overly spiced. I imagine it will be even better with a fresher curry powder. I will make this again!

I reduced the ginger to 1 tablespoon, used black beluga lentils and added sliced red bell pepper at the end. The black beluga lentils took longer to cook than red lentils.

Barbara January 2, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this dish last night instead of a traditional New Year’s meal of black eyed peas and collard greens. I am so glad I did. It turned out wonderful! I froze the leftovers for a weekday lunch. Next time, I will double the recipe for an easy weeknight meal

Jessica January 3, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Recipe Rating:

So yummy and healthy! I added cauliflower and it made so much tasty curry! Thanks for the simple and scrumptious recipe :)

kati January 8, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Recipe Rating:

oh wow, this was AMAZING! even better the next day for lunch! and the day after that for dinner!!!

Ella January 13, 2016 at 7:35 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’m strongly considering going vegan after years of being vegetarian. I’ve been trying a lot of vegan recipes out on my omnivorous family, and this is by far everyone’s favorite recipe that I have made thus far. It is really flavorful and fragrant. I used a good amount more of both cumin and curry powder, just to add a bit more flavor. It was delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe!

Hanna January 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Dear Angela.,

The recipes you put here sound delicious.. Thank you so much for sharing them. Just printed 2 recipes and can’t wait to try them. If you’ve published a book, I would be so interested in purchasing it.

Hanna

Katie January 19, 2016 at 10:21 am

I made this last night and it was AMAZING! I love dal and get it every time we eat at Indian restaurants, but always thought it would be difficult/time-consuming to make. This was quick, easy, and so good! Thank you for the recipe!

Kate January 19, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Thanks, Angela- this is a favorite around here!

Has anyone tried this in the slow cooker? I think it would work but wonder if I’d need to adjust the amount of liquid.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Raina January 21, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Angela,
Thank you for putting together such an amazing collection of recipes. My husband and I have been vegan for just over a year, and we haven’t looked back – in a large part due to our discovery of your blog, which was followed quickly by my husband’s love of cooking. Thank you for making it easy to stay healthy and happy!
Raina

Yifat January 22, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Yum!!!!! Love this blog and Love this recipe

lad January 25, 2016 at 4:18 pm

i made your lentil loaf and have green lentils leftover. Could I use them or do you have to use red lentils??/

Windi February 5, 2016 at 10:19 am

I made this recipe last night with a few substitutions, because I am big on using what I have if it is “close enough”. The substitutions? Green lentils instead of read ones, and whole coconut milk instead of light. I also about doubled the curry powder, but maybe the one I have isn’t that strong compared to others. It was amazing! My husband was absolutely floored by this delicious, filling, meatless meal. (We aren’t vegan, but have been eating less meat and are on the fence about trying it.) The only thing is I love to have saucy curry, but it seemed my lentils sucked up almost all my sauce/liquid. I would add another half or even whole can of coconut milk and increase the spices to match to try to get it saucier.

Windi February 5, 2016 at 10:21 am

Sorry… I accidentally left my comment as a reply to yours. Yes, you can use green lentils. I did, and they were delicious!

Deb Johns February 2, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Recipe Rating:

Beautiful dish! Not surprisingly, I found this to be better the second day, after flavors had a chance to play together overnight. Next time, I’ll up the seasonings and salt, and add just a bit of heat. This made a lot, so in the freezer it will go. I’m also loving your cookbook. Great job!

Audrey Smith February 12, 2016 at 10:10 am
Recipe Rating:

This dish was incredible. I enjoyed it so much. Normally after eating two days of leftovers I’m ready to not eat that dish for awhile! But this recipe was so good, the flavors are surprisingly delicate but SO well balanced and delicious! Thank you!

Camille February 21, 2016 at 7:45 am
Recipe Rating:

I just made this recipe, it’s unbelievable good! I love the combination of flavors, coconut milk soothes the spiciness of the curry and ginger. Definitely it’s for making it again and again. Thanks!

Angela Liddon February 22, 2016 at 4:53 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Camille!

Susan February 24, 2016 at 9:02 am

Angela,

Honestly, this has got to be the most delicious thing I’ve ever made. I am simply in love with it! Thank you!!!!

Susan

Rasheda February 25, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Delicious! Thank you.

Stephanie February 28, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Recipe Rating:

I had to comment…this recipe was delicious! And I thought the toasted pumpkin seeds were the perfect topping! Thank you for the post!

Angela Liddon February 29, 2016 at 4:28 pm

So glad to hear the recipe was a hit, Stephanie!

Ashlea March 2, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Recipe Rating:

Just made this daal and it’s fabulous! Had to sub soy milk for coconut milk but it still came out fabulous:) I served this on top of baked sweet potatoes and had roasted zucchini on the side, my omnivore husband has loved every OSG recipe I’ve made, thanks Angela!!!

Angela Liddon March 4, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Hi Ashlea, it’s so great to hear that you and your husband are loving the recipes! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. :) I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to try next!

Anthony March 6, 2016 at 5:25 am

This looks so delicious, I will make this for my family dinner tomorrow, hope they will love it. Thank you so much for taking time writing this recipe !

Angela Liddon March 10, 2016 at 9:21 am

Hi Anthony, I hope your family enjoyed the Dal!

Lauren March 11, 2016 at 4:16 am
Recipe Rating:

I’ve only recently started making the transition toward a vegan diet (cut down from 2-3 serves of animal products per day to 3 serves per week!). This recipe is incredible and I’m using it to get my boyfriend on board! I’ve got your cookbook from Amazon on its way – I can’t wait! Thank you so much for making the vegan lifestyle irresistible! =D

Angela Liddon March 11, 2016 at 7:32 am

Hi Lauren, thank you so much for your support! I hope you enjoy the cookbook. It’s so great to hear you enjoyed the Red Lentil Dal — I’m glad my recipes are helping to make your transition to a plant-based lifestyle enjoyable and tasty! :) I hope you love whatever recipe you try next just as well.

Anne Simmons March 14, 2016 at 10:50 pm

I made a version of this tonight and it was superb. I only had a scant amount of veggie broth left, so I used two cans of full fat coconut milk (wooooooops….) and about 2 cups of water. The end result was extra rich & creamy. I also added peppercorns and cardamom to the oil before I added the onions. My only other spice addition was a bit of dried coriander.

I love it so much! Thank you.

Angela Liddon March 17, 2016 at 4:26 pm

That sounds absolutely delish, Anne!

Tally March 21, 2016 at 4:12 am

Seriously genius!!

Jeanan March 29, 2016 at 10:36 am

Can this be made in a slow cooker? If so for how long and what setting?

Angela Liddon April 8, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Hi Jeanan, I’m sorry I haven’t used my slow cooker in ages so I wouldn’t know what to recommend. You might have success searching for “dal slow cooker” recipes online and see what they cook it at. If you try anything please let us know!

ChristineinMass April 2, 2016 at 6:48 pm

This was absolutely delicious! Do you know any way I can get the calorie count?

Angela Liddon April 5, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Hi Christine, there are lots of great online tools, like CalorieCount.com or NutritionData.com, that will provide a nutritional breakdown if you plug in the recipe info. There are probably also some excellent apps out there, too (though I can’t name any off the top of my head). I hope this helps!

ChristineinMass April 3, 2016 at 8:19 am

Hi Angela,
We made this last night and my husband and I loved it! I couldn’t find light coconut milk at the store, but I’ll go to another grocery store next time. How does this dish freeze?

By the way, love your blog and recipes. I’ve made 5 or 6 of the recipes and love them all — especially the homemade Lara bars and the raw chocolate pudding.

Christine

Angela Liddon April 4, 2016 at 10:44 am

Hi Christine, I’m so happy the recipe was a hit! It freezes beautifully. For easy freezing, just place the cooled curry into a freezer-safe bag, press out the air, and freeze on a flat surface (or, of course, feel free to pop it into your fav freezer-safe container!). You can thaw it overnight in the fridge, or simply leave it on the counter until it’s mostly thawed. It’ll keep in the freezer up to 4 weeks, and possibly longer. Hope this helps!

Lisa Henderson April 3, 2016 at 8:56 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight and it is so very delicious! Love it. The flavor combinations are awesome. This one is a real keeper. Thank you so much for the delicious recipe!

Angela Liddon April 4, 2016 at 10:08 am

So happy it was a hit, Lisa! :)

Erin April 4, 2016 at 9:03 am
Recipe Rating:

A friend of mine made this when she had me over for dinner and it was so delicious that I went home and made it for myself the next day!

It freezes beautifully and smells so good that my entire office came over to see what I was eating. Really easy and delicious – I have a feeling this will become a staple for me.

P.s. the squeeze of lime should not be optional, really makes the dish shine!

Dana April 18, 2016 at 11:57 pm
Recipe Rating:

What can I say? Another taste buds party in my mouth! What a delicious meal! Thank you for helping me entertain myself with wholesome and healthy foods! You rock!

Kim April 22, 2016 at 11:20 am
Recipe Rating:

The flavor of this dish is outstanding. We served over black rice and we loved it. The leftovers were yummy as well.

Gina May 14, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Recipe Rating:

Absolutely delicious! Making a double batch next time to fill the freezer!

Lucy May 15, 2016 at 4:40 am
Recipe Rating:

This dal was destroyed in seconds. Literally. I was barely able to photograph it before we ate it all. My bf said the only bad thing about it was that there wasn’t more of it. He said we can’t go out for curry any more because this is the best dal he’s ever had and nothing else will ever be better. Great recipe!!

Danielle May 15, 2016 at 5:01 pm
Recipe Rating:

This was seriously delicious!! I highly the recommend madras curry powder. I also topped with raisins, skipped the spinach because we didn’t have any and I used chicken stock because we avoid tomatoes due to histamines.

Janine May 16, 2016 at 8:38 pm

I made this tonight and really enjoyed it but I think my curry powder wasn’t the best. I will try the simply organic one and see how that is. I like anything with coconut milk in it. So decadent

Caroline May 28, 2016 at 12:37 pm
Recipe Rating:

I loved this – super tasty! This was my first time cooking any curry dish (when I’m in the mood for a dish like this, I always end up eating out). I was surprised how straight forward this was. I love cooking things when its all in one pot, as well. I was at first intimidated by the long list of ingredients, but then I realized half the ingredients were spices heh.

Angela Liddon May 31, 2016 at 9:09 am

I’m so glad the recipe was a success, Caroline! :)

Mandy June 1, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Angela,

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe! I just made this tonight and the flavors were unbelievable! I have also tried your smashed potatoes with avocado garlic aoli and loved those too! May I ask something though? This dish had a slightly grainy texture when it was finished. I am unsure if it was from the spices or something else. I prepared it exactly as the recipe stated and measured precisely. Any advice on how to fix that would be lovely! Again, wonderful blog and site! I look forward to trying many more of your recipes!

Mandy

Angela Liddon June 8, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Hi Mandy, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the smashed potatoes! That’s one of my fave recipes for sure. With respect to the dal, it sounds like you did everything right with the recipe! I think the texture you’re experiencing may just be the natural texture of the lentils. Red lentils tend to break down a lot when they cook. If you’re a fan of the dal’s flavouring but not so much its texture, you could try black or French green lentils, which hold up a bit better. I hope this helps, and thank you so much for the kind words!

Amanda June 12, 2016 at 4:26 pm
Recipe Rating:

OMG life changing!! Made a few changes: used baby kale, used 1/2 cup onion and 1 yellow bell pepper. Overall AMAZING!! Thanks for your inspiration!! I love love love oh she glows for the wealth of healthy, wholesome recipes:). This website has helped me so much with recovering from anorexia in the last few months. Blessed, thanks!!!

Rebecca June 14, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Hi Angela,
This recipe looks very delicious. I will try this soon.
Thank for share !

Angela Liddon June 15, 2016 at 1:04 pm

I hope you enjoy it when you give it a try, Rebecca :)

Martin July 16, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Recipe Rating:

I was trying this recipe and its great!

Tomek July 16, 2016 at 2:17 pm

This look so good! I will try it today. Thank u for this recipe.

Gina July 19, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Absolutely delicious! My teenage son even loved it!

Tiffany July 21, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is amaze-balls! So delicious and flavorful! Thank you for yet another keeper!

Damian July 28, 2016 at 10:02 am

Look so tasty and healthy. Have to try it.

Linda August 12, 2016 at 10:39 am

This is SO good.

Thanks for sharing. I did normal rice though, but the Dal was fantastico <3

Anastasia August 18, 2016 at 12:13 pm

So far all recipes from Oh She Glows are wonderful. I always turn to the cookbook or her recipes online first as I know they are tested, reliable and good. I have no doubt this one will be the same.

Angela Liddon August 18, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Hope you enjoy it, Anastasia!

Becca September 5, 2016 at 8:15 am
Recipe Rating:

This was SO good! Love the flavor! Easy, quick and filling meal!

Angela Liddon September 6, 2016 at 1:11 pm

It’s so great to hear you enjoyed it, Becca!! We really love it around here, too.

Emma September 11, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I had naan instead of making the rice but the dal was freaking amazing. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Laura September 30, 2016 at 2:07 pm
Recipe Rating:

This was one of the most delicious curries EVER. I brought it into work the next day and my coworkers all commented on how amazing it looked and smelled, and were so amazed that I made it myself. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried, and failed, at curries. My husband and son ate up their plates for dinner and we all ate it for lunch the next day. Thank you so much!!

Angela Liddon October 3, 2016 at 3:26 pm

I’m glad this recipe was such a success, Laura!! :)

Bella MS October 17, 2016 at 1:37 am
Recipe Rating:

This is the best dahl I have ever had in my entire life! I went back for seconds many times. Everyone commented how good it smells. 10/10 would recommend

Angela Liddon October 17, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Thanks so much for the awesome comment, Bella! I’m so, so happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Rianna October 19, 2016 at 5:02 am
Recipe Rating:

I loved this so much, as did the friends I shared it with for a birthday dinner. I had to make sure I had enough leftovers for myself, because everyone wanted some! So delicious.

Angela Liddon October 20, 2016 at 8:55 am

I’m glad it was a hit, Rianna! Enjoy those leftovers ;)

Jen October 30, 2016 at 7:20 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and it was a huge hit with the family. Everyone was going back for seconds and thirds. Thanks for this great recipe!

Angela Liddon November 1, 2016 at 10:09 am

That’s wonderful, Jen!! So glad everyone enjoyed it.

Monique November 4, 2016 at 3:03 am
Recipe Rating:

My partner and I had this for dinner last night, and it was absolutely DELICIOUS! I am so lucky to have stumbled across this website, adore the wholesome ingredients and the amazing results. These recipes have been making transitioning into vegan eating so much easier. Thank you so much! <3

Angela Liddon November 7, 2016 at 10:44 am

Oh, I’m so happy to hear that, Monique! It’s always lovely to hear my recipes have helped make someone’s transition to plant-based eating easier (and as tasty as possible!).

vanessa saunders November 15, 2016 at 8:07 am

Hello Angela,

I am so in love with this recipe! You are heaven sent for this. This recipe was everything that I wanted it to be and more, flavorful, delightful and so comforting. I paired this with Trader Joe’s, Naan. Amazing!

xoxo, Vanessa

Angela Liddon November 15, 2016 at 9:45 am

Hi Vanessa, I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you so much for the lovely comment. :)

[email protected] December 26, 2016 at 7:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

Just made this recipe for the first time. Added sweet potato and one red small potato. So so yummy!

Angela Liddon December 28, 2016 at 11:07 am

Hi there, I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it!

Mia January 3, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Hi Angela!
I made this the other night with a few small substitutions because of what I had on hand — olive oil and full fat coconut milk with some of the fat lef off. It was fantastic! So creamy and delicious! Next time I may leave out a bit of the curry powder so my 9 month old can eat it too. Absolutely delicious! Thank you!

Princess Nutella January 17, 2017 at 11:29 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this last night and LOVED it. Just have two questions, you may or may not be able to help me with: (1) I bought Trader Joe’s “split” red lentils. The recipe turned out just fine, but am I looking (ideally) for WHOLE red lentils? (2) My apartment smelled of onions/curry for a few days after cooking this. What are the remedies for this?

Thank you for such an amazing website!!

Maaz Iqbal January 23, 2017 at 7:24 am
Recipe Rating:

I love to make different dishes. I always tried your dishes and love to make them.

Holly April 7, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this, and loved it! It freezes well, too. I left out the sugar, substituted kale for spinach, and cut down to 1/4 tsp salt. Thanks for a simple and delicious recipe!

Mia @ HoopsReport April 8, 2017 at 2:16 am
Recipe Rating:

This was SO good! Love the flavor! Easy, quick and filling meal!

Briana June 2, 2017 at 5:25 pm
Recipe Rating:

Wow this was SO delicious! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the effort you put into this recipe. I have been following a pretty loose vegan diet for the past few years, but I’ve been getting a little bored and discouraged lately. But this recipe really inspired me to get back on track! I seem to have forgotten how delicious and healthy a good vegan recipe can be. Thank you!!!

Angela Liddon June 6, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Oh, I’m so happy to hear this recipe helped remind you! I’m glad you enjoyed it <3

Kate Friedl July 26, 2017 at 11:30 am
Recipe Rating:

This was DELISH! My indian neighbor makes this for me all the time and this time I decided to try my hand at it. It was spot on! I think I did the spinach wrong… mine didn’t steam so it was more like a wet bandaid texture… haha but the flavor was amazing! Maybe next time i’ll just leave the spinach out.

April Brown August 11, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Just tired this recipe tonight- it’s amazing!!! Love it! Thank you! ❤️😎

Angela Liddon August 14, 2017 at 8:56 am

I’m glad it was a hit, April!

Sophia August 24, 2017 at 6:53 am
Recipe Rating:

Yummmm! I made a slightly altered version of this based on what I had in the fridge. It was amazing. The spring onions, fresh coriander, lime and pumpkin seeds elevate the whole thing.

Shai November 26, 2017 at 12:38 am

I’ve made this recipe twice now and it just keeps on getting better!! My five year old loves it too!

The only tweaks I make is I add the cilantro and Spinach on the plates so that the greens don’t get soggy with the leftovers. If the food is hot enough it’ll wilt those greens perfectly just by stirring it in for a few seconds! I also like to add some braggs to the finished product and go heavier on the ginger!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2017 at 8:13 am

I love your tweaks Shai. Glad it’s a hit with your 5-year-old too!

Leah December 2, 2017 at 12:34 am
Recipe Rating:

enjoying this recipe a lot ! thank you for posting ! :)

Sara Khalili Tehrani February 9, 2018 at 8:54 am

That white plate is gorgeous! Where’s it from??

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2018 at 9:30 am

Hey Sara, Thank you! It’s actually not my plate as this post was photographed by a food photographer Ashley McLaughlin so I’m not sure. :)

Sarah March 2, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi! I made this last night and it was amazing! The only thing is that it didn’t seem like enough rice for amount of lentils it makes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Hey Sarah, I’m so glad this one was a hit…and I agree, you can never quite have enough rice! Thanks for your feedback.

Holly April 18, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is the BEST! I have made it twice now and it is the most soul warming and wonderful dish. I love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Holly! So glad to hear it.

Carolina Baumanis May 22, 2018 at 12:42 pm
Recipe Rating:

Excellent recipe. I made it once before and noticed the lentils took a little longer to cook uncovered, so I made sure that the carrots were cut a little bigger the second time around so that they wouldn’t become mushy while cooking.