The Blender Girl’s Mystical Mango Smoothie

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 7, 2015

mysticalmangosmoothie-0260

065A0234

Happy almost weekend, friends! Today, I’m excited to share a recipe from The Blender Girl Smoothies: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo-Friendly Recipes by Tess Masters. I had the pleasure of getting to know Tess a few years ago at the Vida Vegan Con and let me tell you, she is as vivacious, bubbly, and thoughtful as she comes across online. I totally wish we lived closer so we could bond over our love for green smoothies, Vitamix blenders, and plant-based cuisine. Well, all the more reason to visit California, I suppose!

Not only is tess the force behind The Blender Girl website, The Blender Girl cookbook, and The Blender Girl Smoothies app, but her second cookbook, The Blender Girl Smoothies, was just released on June 30th. It’s packed with 100 creative smoothie recipes including a beautiful photo for each recipe. The book is divided into 4 chapters: 1) Smoothie Secrets, 2) Find Your Perfect Blend, 3) The Recipes (light and fruity; clean and green; an exotic ride; dessert), and 4) The Smoothie Pantry. Each smoothie recipe has icons that let you know whether the smoothies are nut-free, detox-approved, high-protein, immunity-boosting, alkaline, and more. She also provides a comprehensive list of pantry ingredients. This comes in handy, especially for the lesser known superfood ingredients (such as spirulina, camu powder, wheatgrass, etc.). Lastly, she dishes on her top tips for blending perfect smoothies and shares a “build your own smoothie” guide so you can create your own unique recipes.

Today, I’m happy to share her “Mystical Mango” smoothie! It’s so energizing and makes enough to share (just under 4 cups worth, although I could’ve easily chugged it all myself). I served it alongside the tofu scramble from my cookbook and some toast for an easy, satisfying breakfast.

065A0276

4.9 from 16 reviews

The Blender Girl's Mystical Mango Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

I fell in love with this smoothie's thick and creamy texture and sweet, tangy flavor. It makes the perfect breakfast drink to pair with a bowl of overnight oats, tofu scramble, or chia pudding. This recipe is lightly adapted from Tess Master's The Blender Girl Smoothies (2015) published by Ten Speed Press.

Tess writes, "With a creamy texture and exquisite flavor, this immunity blend is a fabulous for collagen formation and glowing skin, hair, and nails. Mango's enzymes and vitamins A, C, and E cleanse the liver and aid digestion, and its potassium and fibre help regulate blood pressure and cholesterol. This one will make your heart happy."

Yield
4 cups (2 servings)
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cups orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water, or more if needed
  • 1/4 cup avocado
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
  • 2 cups frozen mango (I used an entire 300g bag)
  • Pure maple syrup, to taste (optional - I added a teaspoon)

Directions:

1. Add all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high for 30-60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. If using the Vitamix, you can use the tamper stick to get things moving. If the mixture seems too thick you can thin it with a bit more water.

Tips:

Note: Tess says you can boost this smoothie with 1/2 teaspoon wheatgrass powder, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, and 1 teaspoon of flaxseed oil.

Erica {[email protected]} August 7, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’m 35 weeks pregnant and have been craving mangoes like crazy – this is perfect!

Analise October 15, 2015 at 11:49 pm

N o one gives a shit that you’re pregnant.

Emily October 22, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Wow, Analise is a cyber bitch who hates mangoes!

Jenna December 21, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Hahaha

Ivy January 10, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Recipe Rating:

I like to know when people are pregnant, i think most people are interested in that stage of life.

Jay February 25, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I care that you are preggers.

Ed T March 1, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Horray for the pregnant
Boo to the grumpy troll
Horray for mango smoothie

Lane | Modern Granola August 7, 2015 at 11:26 am

Yum! Sounds really refreshing and delicious! I have heard so much about blender girl lately, obviously because of her book coming out, and it’s really making me crave some wholesome smoothies! I haven’t had mango in a while, so perhaps I’ll whip this up :)
xx Lane

Tom @ Raise Your Garden August 9, 2015 at 2:31 pm

New to the blender Girl but really like her stuff. The avocados are great for all those good fats which my doctor says I need. But you mention about the nut-free options. Is that just for people avoiding nuts or are they bad for you? I’ve read that walnuts really help cut down on belly fat, something I do not object too! And I’d like to add at least a handful to this recipe.

Sarah August 9, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Nuts are pretty healthy (especially walnuts!) Nut allergies are pretty common though, which is why she usually gives nut free options. :)

Bella B August 7, 2015 at 11:29 am

I love mango. Think looks so yummy.

xoxoBella | http://xoxobella.com

kristin | W [H] A T C H August 7, 2015 at 11:56 am

i love avocados in smoothies, but sometimes its just too thick. really like the idea of cutting the thickness with OJ.

Stephanie Hartley August 7, 2015 at 12:07 pm

This sounds delicious – I love smoothies with mango in!

Steph – http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

Danielle August 7, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Yum! This sounds so good! I will be trying it this weekend for sure! Thanks for sharing this!

Danielle

Cassie Tran August 7, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I’d chug down 4 cups too! XD this looks stunning!

Paige August 7, 2015 at 1:22 pm

This smoothie looks incredible! I’ll have to try it soon!

Paige

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 7, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I haven’t had a smoothie in ages! Funny thing, I usually end up having more smoothies in the winter (because they are quick in the morning, and in the winter I want to stay in bed longer, haha).

Jessica @ Styled Nutrition August 7, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Mmmm mango and avocado would make a super creamy and thick smoothie…just the way I like ’em!

Kelly @ TheHappilyAnchoredNomas August 7, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I’m 39 weeks pregnant and in a smoothie slump – this might be just what I need to get back my smoothie enthusiasm!

Angela August 7, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Can’t find another way to ask you a quick question. In recipes like nacho dip in your book, when it says corn chips does that mean like Fritos corn chips or tortilla corn chips? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2015 at 10:46 am

Hi Angela,

I mean tortilla corn chips. Thanks!

Angela August 7, 2015 at 11:18 pm

This recipe looks so good! I have yet to try avocado in a smoothie, but I really want to.. this seems like the perfect summer drink!.

Paige August 8, 2015 at 3:43 am
Recipe Rating:

Hey guys! I’ve been following you for a while now but this recipe has to be one of my favourites so far-it looks absolutely delicious and the ingredient list is crazy!

www.wonderstruckfawns.com

I thought you also might like to check out my vegan travel blog? I want to change the stigma that it is too hard to travel and remain vegan, so i blog about my adventures of doing just that! Let me know what you think?!

Heidi Kokborg August 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

This looks heavenly! I can’t believe I haven’t heard about Tess (Or The Blender Girl) before! Thank you for sharing this, Angela. & have a happy weekend :)

Amanda August 8, 2015 at 9:01 am

This smoothie sounds like a tropical paradise. I love how it has lime zest. Yum. I best that gives it a nice kick. And mango is one of my favorite fruits to put in smoothies. Looks so yummy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Ooh this sounds lovely! As a smoothie addict and a cookbook fiend myself, I’m pretty sure this one is going to have to be added to my collection. Mangoes are now on my grocery list! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 8, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Looks and sounds so delicious! Love the avocado in there!

Cassie August 9, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Yummy!

Sarah | Well and Full August 10, 2015 at 7:55 am

I just got Tess’s book a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it! The smoothies are amazing (obviously!) but I love all of the savory applications she has as well. :)

Nicole {VeganShowOff.com} August 10, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Yum, I love mangoes! I’ve actually never tried putting avocado in a smoothie before because I usually just eat them before I have the opportunity! Will have to give this a try, plus l love maple syrup!

Gemma August 10, 2015 at 4:47 pm

This smoothie looks delicious and super creamy! Mango-based smoothies are usually my favorites so I’ll make this one tomorrow after my workout session! =)

xoxo

kate s. August 11, 2015 at 12:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

thank you so much! i just tried this and also the smoothie on plant powered kitchen and both were delicious and now i NEED this book.

Gluten Free Babe August 11, 2015 at 7:41 pm

I love mango. I recently made a whole bunch of dried mango. So now I’m kinda addicted to it :) Can’t wait to make this smoothie – perfect timing for me!

Jan Smith August 11, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Orange juice is incredibly high in sugars. I can’t believe this is a healthy recipe.

And Blender Girl needs to learn the difference between “its” and “it’s”.

Dawn August 12, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Um, I think you’re mistaken about her use of “its” — she used it correctly.

Jan Smith September 3, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Yes, “its” is correct. The original post read “it’s” and was evidently corrected after I posted the above. (Sorry, but it’s a huge pet peeve of mine.)

And in response to Cari’s comment below: A cup and a half of orange juice has ca. 30g of sugar – it doesn’t especially matter whether that comes from a carton or an actual orange. That’s as much as in 1 1/2 Snickers bar. So yes, I will be making something else. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Lili August 14, 2015 at 2:00 pm

i agree with you 100%. not the best recipe to be enforcing if you ask me,
I was looking for someone else to point it out. not everything vegan is health or good for you people.

Mandy September 2, 2015 at 12:53 am

I agree… way too high in sugar!

Jessica August 17, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Jan, do you mean to say that “its potassium” is wrong? Because it’s correct.

Cari August 26, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Fruit sugars are not bad. You can always substitute fresh squeezed OJ instead of OJ from a carton if it’s an issue. Or, you can just make something else and let that be the end of that. Pretty simple.

Cat the "Reader Eater" August 12, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I can’t help but wonder how well rum would go in this.

It must be nearing on “crazy mom o clock.”

Dawn August 12, 2015 at 4:40 pm

I love, love, love both of Tess Masters’ books. I’ve been a cook for many, many years and Oh She Glows and The Blender Girl have inspired me right when I thought I’d seen it all. I am TRIPPING on the vegan smoothies!

Effortlessly Vegan August 13, 2015 at 8:50 pm

This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it for breakfast!

Dreena Burton August 13, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Our girls were so stoked about this book. Adriana will be picking out her fave smoothies before long!

Lili August 14, 2015 at 1:58 pm

i like the recipe but that’s a lot of sugar in one drink. Mangos are sweet, oj is crazy sweet and the to add maple syrup seems nuts. I would cut the oj in half and add sub with unsweetened almond milk. that much sugar is not good, be it natural or not

Jill @ Champagne for Everyday August 16, 2015 at 11:40 am

I love mango, this looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

MM.LaFleur: Revolutionary Work Wear + Q&A With A Fashion Tech CEO

Allie B August 16, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Let me first just say that I adore your blog! I love the whole idea behind it. So happy I stumbled upon it! Xo.

www.midwesternmamalove.com

Janna August 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Recipe Rating:

I love this smoothie from her book! I am also in LOVE with all the pictures you take, I would love for one day my blog to be as beautiful and successful as yours. You have inspired me to share my journey with amenorrhea on my blog, and I really want to get it our to the public to help other girls. If you want to visit my blog, visit nutritionwithjanna.com , thanks!!

Lori August 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Not sure if I can ask something unrelated here, but I was just wondering if you could recommend a brand of tempeh for the marinated tempeh recipe in your cookbook. This is my first time buying it!
Thanks :)

Jessica DeMarra August 21, 2015 at 8:46 am

Mango Paradise more like it! I could easily chug this all by myself. I love seeing all the female bloggers out there kicking butt! It is so inspiring.

Venita August 24, 2015 at 7:50 am

I cut down on the oj and subbed in almond milk. I also added hemp seeds and hemp protein powder so it could be a meal. Yummy!

Lissa August 25, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Can’t wait to try this! Thank you so much for sharing. Here is another one that I found, thought your readers might enjoy…http://www.fullfoodblog.com/chocolate-cake-smoothie/.

Andrea August 30, 2015 at 10:23 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’ve never even thought to add maple syrup to my smoothies before and it already sounds like a very good idea. Thanks for sharing!

Amberley August 31, 2015 at 1:37 pm

OMG this book is fabulous! I have a nutribullet already and am actually waiting for my vitamix to arrive Thursday, so smoothies are about to become even more of a life obsession! I’m recovering from anorexia so being able to drink my snacks is beyond helpful.My new pet project is trying every single recipe in this book :) Angela you have helped me so much in progressing towards my recovery. I eat your recipes probably 5+ times a day and am feeling so much better. You are my hero <3

Annie August 31, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I love a good smoothie!! Girl I still put spinach in my smoothie every morning, I wonder who I got that tip from ;)

xo Annie
Collective Passions
Latest Post: stay healthy & on track on the weekends

Ekky September 6, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I am actually running to the kitchen to grab a mango before watching a movie… But I LOVE this recipe! Will be trying tomorrow with the box of mangoes I got from Chinatown today! :)

Varun Arora September 7, 2015 at 5:58 am
Recipe Rating:

The Blender Girl’s Mystical Mango Smoothie is seems tasty and the best of about what i like is that we can make it with in 2 Minutes.

freewildsoul September 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Recipe Rating:

Love this recipe, thank you! It’s super refreshing and perfect for a morning kick-start!
xoxo from Munich, Stefanie

Haileigh Grinkmeyer September 11, 2015 at 10:45 am

This smoothie looks great! I can’t wait to try it.
Love,Heyrosa

Amanda - Create N Plate September 12, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Anything with mango is something I’m interested in! Thanks for sharing!

Spanish HomeMade September 24, 2015 at 12:05 pm

We had one this morning. Very easy, healthy, enjoyable and energetic! Never tried with avocado though. I will!

Mango fans! :)

www.spanishhomemade.com
paella tapas catering brighton london

Ask Helen September 27, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Mango is love! And this smoothie is a must try. I will definitely try this one of these days! Thank for sharing the recipe! :)

Terri September 30, 2015 at 9:54 pm

my blendtec just arrived today…i’m so ecstatic. i will be making this for my 7yr old son tomorrow. He luuuuvs mangoes!

Suma Sen October 9, 2015 at 4:31 am
Recipe Rating:

i love and mango much and this looks very delicious, which i must try it now. Thank for share :)

Tyler December 3, 2015 at 5:08 am
Recipe Rating:

Yummy!!! Really refreshing and delicious! I love smoothies with mango.

Sarah January 6, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Recipe Rating:

I found this recipe on this site and made it a few times so far. Recently, I’ve made a few changes. I used an entire avocado and I added a couple handfuls of baby spinach. It turns green but it’s still a hit with the kids. We call it “hulk” juice.

Liz February 26, 2016 at 9:30 am

Pfft sharing! ;) Like you said, 4 cups sounds totally doable here. DELISH! Love the idea (from Sarah ^^) about adding the avo for a bit of extra oomph.

Veronica March 6, 2016 at 6:15 am

I have seen orange juice in several smoothie recipes, Do you juice oranges? or do you use store brought orange juice? Do you have a favorite brand?

Hypnosis Adelaide March 13, 2016 at 10:37 pm
Recipe Rating:

I was surprised how well avocado works in smoothies. It gives it a really nice texture!

Evie Birch July 28, 2016 at 9:49 pm
Recipe Rating:

Awesome! I’m Really looking for the mango smoothie. thanks for publish this article…

Ellie Macdonald August 13, 2016 at 9:17 pm
Recipe Rating:

This Mango Smoothie is really great! This looks delicious and I’m sure I’ll like it. Thanks for share..

Mackenzie September 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Recipe Rating:

I love mango smoothies! I just tried this one and it tastes AMAZING. If you want to check out another mango smoothie, I have a mango lemonade one up on my blog Truly Smoothie! Thanks again for posting this mango smoothie recipe!

Alex Turner September 1, 2017 at 7:37 am
Recipe Rating:

Smoothies with mango is new my love. Thanks for recipe!

Anna Powell October 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Great smoothie. Perfect for flu season.

Inna October 12, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Mango smoothies are my favorite. I like the maple syrup idea, will definitely try that! Thanks for posting.

Katie H October 29, 2017 at 10:58 am
Recipe Rating:

Yum! I added chia seeds, a whole carrot and a whole peeled orange for extra fiber and nutrition. I left out the avocado and it was still deliciously creamy. Thanks for your inspiring recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Hey Katie, I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! Good call on adding the whole orange too.