Life with a Baby: Week 18

Dear Adriana,

It’s been a while since I wrote you a letter – actually since I was pregnant with you in my belly! But can you blame me though? We’ve been busy exploring your new world and having fun! I am still keeping up with your one line a day book, but it’s so hard to remember to fill it out each day. If I can do it for a year it will be a miracle!

As I write this letter you are currently napping in your big girl crib! Your dad and I just started putting you down for naps in your crib this weekend (you previously napped in the bassinet in our bedroom), and so far you are loving your new crib. Naps are going really well in there. I was afraid that you’d be scared in your new room since we haven’t spent much time in there, but you adjusted to it quickly and actually seem to enjoy your new roomy mattress. You must know that your sweet Mimi bought it for you. At 4 months old, you have almost outgrown the bassinet in our bedroom. My goodness will I ever miss having you sleep in our room with us. Cosleeping has been one of my best memories and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but there comes a time when you need some independence too. We will probably have to transition you to the crib within a month as you’ll be grown out of your bassinet.

Speaking of growing, last week you doubled your birth weight! I am a proud mommy. When we first started out breastfeeding, I wondered if I had enough milk to sustain you because when I tried to pump I would only get 2-3 ounces from one side (which I now know is just fine). But seeing your weight increase over the weeks has reassured me that you are getting more than enough milk. Our doctor said that breast pumps aren’t as efficient as babies anyway, so even though I don’t have a ton of milk stored in the freezer I am grateful you are getting exactly what you need. Your favourite thing to do when you nurse is pop off the nipple and look up at me with wide eyes and a big grin. It’s so funny. You always do this if I start talking. After a good gander at your mama, you keep on nursing. You are definitely in the “Look a little, eat a little” phase. The other day I had a conference call and nursed you at the same time. We are total pros now! Boy, we have come a long way since our early struggles with breastfeeding. You still aren’t taking a bottle, but we are trying out different nipples. Oh and you don’t take pacifiers or suck your thumb either, but you do enjoy shoving your entire hand in your mouth and gnawing away on it!  I think your gums are bothering you a ton and your poor hands are now chapped from chewing them so much. You soak many bibs each day from drooling. Another early teething symptom you have lately is pulling at your ears.

Lately, you are loving when we sing and dance for you – especially when I sing and gesture the “Itsy Bitsy Spider” song! I do it about 10 times per day. When I get to the part where I say “down came the rain and washed the spider out” I do a washing motion across your belly (whatever that is!) and you always laugh. You also love doing the happy baby pose (grabbing your feet and rocking side to side – see your 4 month photos above!) and you love being tickled under your chin which makes you howl with laughter. Rolling from your back to your side is your newest thing and I would say any day now you are going to fully roll from back to tummy. Once in a while you roll from your tummy to your back too. It won’t be long before you are doing it like a pro! Another thing you love to do is what your dad and I call “body slams” – raising your legs in the air and slamming them down on the ground! Who teaches you this stuff, anyway? hah.

We have been consistently putting you down for bed between 7 and 8pm this past month. The most challenging part of the past few weeks has been the 4 month sleep regression. It seems like you are a textbook case! Your naps have been like a New York minute and overnight you are waking up as much as you did when you were a newborn (if not more!). We’re getting by though and I know this phase won’t last. As tired as I am, I love those snugly moments together more than anything. You are so peaceful and calm when you are sleepy, all nestled up to me with your hand on my chest. Nothing is better. Four months have already gone by just like that, and like always, I want to slow down time…I love you so much.

Squeezing in as many kisses, smiles, and snuggles as I can,

Mama. xo

1 Laetitia January 26, 2015

This is so sweet! Thanks for this beautiful letter, she will be so happy as a grown up to read it again!

2 Jessica @ TwoGreenPeas January 26, 2015

Those photos are adorable!! This post brightened my day :) Adriana is very lucky to have you for a Mom. Also….the body slam part made me laugh, love it.

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 26, 2015

heh ;) Thanks Jessica!

4 Alexandra (Occasionally Eggs) January 26, 2015

She’s such a cutie! Toothless baby smiles are the sweetest thing.

5 Ashley January 26, 2015

So sweet!! And those 2 photos are absolutely adorable. GAH. She is precious!!!!!

6 Michelle January 26, 2015

Legwarmers, hee! Our babes are about the same age, and S went through a phase around Christmas where she chapped her hands from sucking on them so much. I used the Honest Healing Balm during every non-active period she had (nursing and sleeping). I was really diligent about applying it and it cleared up in about a week or so. I still apply it when she is nursing to kinda maintain it. She doesn’t suck as much on them now that she is more dexterous about holding toys and can gum on them. It’s so crazy how things change day to day now. Last week she started rolling over onto her tummy and now I can’t keep her on her back anymore. And today she started saying B-b-b-b-bllppph, like she was going to blow a raspberry. Babies are so cool! :) Glad you are finally getting A to go down in the crib to takes naps! I’m still working on that part.

7 Anna January 27, 2015

She is so adorable! Baby chubs and toothless grins are the best! Love her leg warmers and diapers! What brand of cloth diapers are they?

Such a sweet letter. :) glad to hear breastfeeding is going so well! Pumping 2-3 oz on one side is pretty good. Just wanted to let you know pumping is never a good indication of whether you’re making enough milk since baby is more efficient at removing milk.

I miss the baby snuggles. I’m glad my 4 year old still snuggles with me. Definitely enjoy them while she’s still little. I chuckled when you mentioned the body slams because both of my boys did that when they were babies. Must be a baby thing haha

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2015

Hi Anna,
Yea it’s true about breast pumps…that’s what my doc told me early on and it made me feel SO much better!
Oh that isn’t a cloth diaper, it’s part of her outfit she was wearing (a dress + diaper cover combo). Cloth hasn’t worked out for us yet. Long story short, our washing machine is a gazillion years old and about to “go” (it was smoking the other day…sigh), couldnt get them clean/sanitized enough using many dif. methods, detergents. I will probably try again once this one bites the bucket and we have a new machine! We use seventh generation right now.
so funny your babies used to do the body slam too! I always wonder where they get this stuff from, heh.

9 Natsai January 27, 2015

Aaaw this just made my heart melt!

10 Kelly P January 27, 2015

Sweet letter! Oh, the body slams…I always wonder how that doesn’t hurt their little legs!

11 Courtney January 27, 2015

Do I spy fluff on that bum? We do cloth and love it!

12 Tracey January 27, 2015

I miss my baby boy! He’s now 17 years old and a Sr. in high school, it goes by way too fast. This letter to Adriana made me tear up, I envy you. It sounds like you are enjoying every moment, as you should. Thank you for sharing.

Tracey

13 Katie January 27, 2015

Such a sweet letter! Never worry your body was designed to make milk for your little one. I tandem nurse my 2 year old and 4 year old. The Dr. told me if I was well rested, drink plenty of water, and a good vegetarian diet I could nurse for as long as we wanted. The wonder week is another good reference, and also remember every 3 month is another growth spurt especially for babies brains (so they will nurse like a newborn for 2-5 days) :)

14 heather January 27, 2015

Hi Angela! My daughter is also 18 weeks so your letter was especially touching. This teething thing and sleep regression is a killer! I really enjoy your blog and book:)

15 Angela January 29, 2015

it really is! I hope it improves for you soon :)
Thanks for your kind words about my blog/book heather!

16 Tammy Root January 27, 2015

Aww…Adriana is so sweet and adorable! Your statement, “You are so peaceful and calm when you are sleepy, all nestled up to me with your hand on my chest” took me right back to those days with Marea. They are some of the sweetest moments you will have with your girl. :)

But, then, they get older and amaze you in new ways….like when they start talking and saying things like, “Marea (she refers to herself in the 3rd person!) no like split pea soup anymore, Marea wants cupcake soup!” Silly girl. New recipe challenge for cookbook #2 perhaps??? ;)

17 Angela January 29, 2015

LOL!! Oh Tammy…she is so funny! Love reading about her latest sayings on Facebook. ;)

18 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen January 28, 2015

This is absolutely beautiful, Angela!! I sang the same song to my much younger baby brother when he was a baby! It’s our favourite! :) So happy to hear you guys are doing well!

19 Nicole @ Broken Road Creative January 28, 2015

Dang it, now I’m crying. So, so sweet!

20 PinaColada January 29, 2015

Her smiles are so cute! Those leg warmers are ADORABLE… do you mind sharing where you found them? :)

21 Angela January 29, 2015

They were actually a gift..I’m sorry I have no clue where they are from! I’m not even sure of the brand…let me check for you. :)

22 Angela January 29, 2015

on the leg it says “BL” that’s it! Any idea?

23 Amanda January 29, 2015

Those are probably BabyLegs! http://www.babylegs.com/

24 PinaColada January 31, 2015

No worries!! Thanks for checking anyways! I have no idea what brand that is, but a Google search for “BL baby leggings” led me here: http://www.babyleggings.com/ Maybe? :p

25 Sara January 29, 2015

Hi Angela,

I have a baby that is 2 weeks younger than yours, so I have loved reading your baby posts. Since you are a healthy eater, I was wondering what your take is on rice cereal. At my daughter’s last doctors appointment, the doctor mentioned possibly starting her on rice cereal at four months, but I have been reading some conflicting info on feeding babies grains so early on. My daughter is exclusively breastfed. I would love to hear what you plan to give Adriana as her first solid foods. Thanks!

26 Andrea February 3, 2015

Hi Sara,

I’m not Angela (obviously, haha) but I work at a holistic/functional medicine practice. We do not recommend the baby rice cereal for our baby patients. If you really want to, you can pulverize organic rice to make your own rice flour and mix into baby foods, but you can wait until 6 months+ to start that. Humans don’t really need grains in their diet anyways, we can get the carbohydrates we need from vegetables and fruits (and nuts and meats) so we tend to promote minimal grains. First foods we recommend are vegetables, egg yolks (no whites yet), pureed meats, then fruits, and then grains if interested. Hope that helps!

27 Sara February 6, 2015

Thank you for your reply. I took my daughter to the pediatrician today for her four month check up and the doctor told me I can start her on rice or oatmeal cereal in the next few weeks and that starting her earlier on solids will reduce the chances of her developing food allergies. However, I am reading conflicting views online. I think I will wait until she’s 6 months to start introducing solids and start with vegetables (pureed at home). It’s crazy the information the doctor’s give you.

28 k February 1, 2015

aww she looks exactly like her daddy except for your big blue eyes :))

29 Andrea February 3, 2015

Have you tried baltic amber necklaces for teething?? I’ve heard they work miracles to reduce symptoms and pain. My cousin used one on her youngest and wishes she had with her older two. Best of luck, Adriana is as precious as ever!

30 Nissrine @ Harmony a la Carte February 4, 2015

She’s beautiful! This letter absolutely touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. You can always move someone when you speak from the depths of your heart. What a lovely idea to write letters to your baby. I’m going to try it if I’m lucky enough to be a mama one day. All the best to you.

31 Bree February 12, 2015

Angela this is such a beautiful letter. I had my second son who was born on September 13th 2015 so were at a similar stage of milestones and I felt like I could of wrote this for my son Nate. The legs in the air, slamming them down, the tickling under the chin, the almost rolling, the sleep regression (ahhhh they do pass but its hard while your going threw it). You put a beautiful spin on it, your a wonderful mother.

32 Leah February 18, 2015

How sweet of you to share this with us. I think your daughter and my daughter would get along perfectly as they chewed their hands and popped on and off smiling as they eat :) Babies are so amazing. This one is my last so I am really cherishing all the little quirks. Enjoy every moment…I can’t wait for you to reach the toddler stage so I can find out if you discover any tips and what to do during the picky eater phase. My toddler who used to eat everything, just started hating everything- ah motherhood ;)