39 Weeks

39weekspregantbump

39weekspregnant1

I was procrastinating this week’s post because I thought there might be a slight chance I wouldn’t have to write it! But lo and behold, here we are just 1.5 days shy of 40 weeks. Baby girl is quite cozy in my belly, it seems! I guess it’s pretty common for first timers to think they are going to go early. The joke will be on me if I’m induced on Sept 30th or Oct 1st!

I totally get why pregnant mamas start feeling anxious to go into labour by this stage in the game. I’ve noticed so many more aches/pains, tiredness, bloating, nausea, and other symptoms this week. It’s like all of the pregnancy symptoms and emotions resurface simultaneously during the last week or two.

My energy levels have been so up and down this week. I alternate between feeling full of adrenaline and nesting urges (I scrubbed all the floors on my hands and knees this week, which was quite comical) and then some days I literally have to force myself to do the smallest of tasks because I feel so drained. Sleep has been a joke. I’m averaging 3-4 bathroom breaks a night which really isn’t so bad, but then I can’t fall back to sleep. I’m also waking up super early in the morning for no good reason. Hopefully I’ll be used to the odd waking hours and it won’t be such a shock to my system. The natural solution would be to nap during the day, but I’ve never been able to nap. My mom tells me I completely quit naps when I was only 14 months old (my poor mama, hah). I’ve napped once this entire pregnancy (when I had the flu). Eric can nap anytime, any place, and is fast asleep within minutes. So jealous! It’ll be interesting to see if I can learn to nap when baby is here. Maybe I can try out these tips?

This week’s appointment: My OB confirmed what I already suspected – baby dropped even more this week. I can definitely see the difference in the mirror now….my belly is so low and my pants are constantly sliding down. I am 1cm dilated and my cervix is starting to shift forward. As my OB says, the cervical checks don’t tell us anything about when labour will begin so I really don’t put much emphasis on the numbers. It’s just interesting, if anything else. I’ve had a lot of menstrual-like pains this week on and off which is how I hear labour starts for a lot of women (and is how it started for my mom’s first labour too). We shall see! So much excitement.

Food: As I mentioned, I’ve had some nausea return on and off this week. It’s not horrible or anything, but just annoying when you love to eat as much as I do. Sometimes it’s hard to think of anything appealing to eat. Other times, I’m totally fine. I still can’t get enough of fresh fruit – raspberries, pineapple, Honeycrisp apples are all in heavy rotation!

In reno news, we are officially moved back into the kitchen. I’m spending so much time in there cooking (when I have the energy). We’re still waiting on a lot of smaller details to be finished and we need to order a fridge, but at least it’s functional and starting to come together.

Eric and I watched a couple baby videos this week – Laugh and Learn about Childbirth and Laugh and Learn about Childcare (it was his first time watching them but I joined along for a refresher). Eric told me the next morning he had nightmares all night long, hah. Oddly enough, the one who has to push out a watermelon hasn’t had any nightmares to speak of!

I’ll try my best to update when I go into labour, but that’ll depend on how it progresses. You can check back here or on my personal Instagram account – @theglowspot for updates!

[I realize I’m writing this post as if I won’t have a week 40 update, but I guess that is totally, totally possible. Time will tell.]

xoxo

1 OSGMOM September 20, 2014

So lovely to see your most recent photos! You look so healthy, happy and beautiful. Counting down the days until I see you and hopefully the newest addition to our family will have made an appearance. xoxo

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2014

I’m thinking she is going to listen to her mama and come on the day I guessed she would – Sept 23rd. hah…wishful thinking maybe, but that would be perfect timing for your arrival!

3 OSGMOM September 20, 2014

Wouldn’t it! Here’s hoping :)

4 Tracy September 21, 2014

My second will turn one on Tuesday the 23rd. A great day for a birthday!

5 Ana Maria September 22, 2014

Maybe she will! Mine did! :)

6 Amy September 20, 2014

Will you do a nursery tour? I want to see the cuteness!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2014

yup, still working away on the post! :)

8 RNPattiD September 20, 2014

Don’t worry, the little lady is just training you for life as the mom of a newborn, when they pretty much run your life 7x24x8wks! Soon enough you’ll have a new little boss, enjoy these last preggo days! Can’t wait to hear your labor story!

9 Steph F September 20, 2014

You look fabulous, I’m getting excited for you and Eric! It’s such an exciting time, i remember when i was pregnant last fall…. Time flies! am also eager to see your nursery and kitchen posts. Enjoy your last few baby free days, your schedule is about to fill up soon ;)

10 Angela September 20, 2014

Thanks Steph! I was just saying to Eric yesterday that I have a feeling the newborn days will go by so quickly. I feel like I need to focus on soaking it all up because they grow so fast!

11 Kala Rath | Arkansas Newborn Photographer September 20, 2014

Ahh!!! So close!!!! I wish you were close to me so I could photograph your baby!!! I can’t wait!! Good luck mama!

12 Sarah September 20, 2014

You are seriously the poster momma for pregnancy! You make it look so beautiful! I’m 27 weeks, and can only hope I look half that cute full term :P Best of luck to you whenever the time finally comes. She’ll be worth the wait I’m sure. I sure love having you inspire and pave the way for me as I enter the third trimester next week! EEEK!

13 Angela September 20, 2014

Congrats on your pregnancy Sarah :) So exciting that you are entering the 3rd trimester! Hope you are feeling well.

14 Nicole September 20, 2014

You are so beautiful! The last week or two really is awful, but you’re so close and before you know it, you’ll be holding your beautiful baby! As far as naps go, you might notice that breastfeeding has a sleep-inducing ability (if you’re planning to breastfeed, that is), which may help! The first few weeks, you really, really should nap when you can :) Here’s hoping you don’t have to write another update! xx

15 Angela September 20, 2014

Thanks Nicole :) That’s great to know about breastfeeding having a sleepy effect…I can use all the help I can get! heh. Hopefully we can snooze together.

16 Cara September 21, 2014

My advice is, plan to stay in bed for 12 hours each night–you’ll get up multiple times to feed, but by the time you actually get up in the morning, you should have gotten at least 6 hours of sleep.

17 Samantha September 20, 2014

Aww Angela you are the cutest pregnant mama ever! I totally sympathize with how you are feeling. I ended up being 9 days past my due date with my baby who is now almost 9 months old. I was due December 16th and ended up going into labor Christmas Eve and delivered my daughter Rose on Christmas Day! I tried everything from eating pineapple, dates and spicy food, bouncing on my birthing ball and I drank like gallons of red raspberry leaf tea but she was snug as a bug in a rug and just wasn’t ready to come out yet! I also am unable to nap and slept so poorly at the end of my pregnancy. You are totally right, all of the pregnancy symptoms seem to be magnified at the very end! You are in my thoughts and prayers and wishing you and your family all of the best during this exciting time. She will be here before you know it!

18 Angela September 20, 2014

Thanks for your well wishes Samantha!
and I love that story of her waiting just for the 25th to make her big debut! They sure have their own timeline.

19 Michelle September 20, 2014

Good luck, Angela! I’m 1 day past my due date too. I’m curious to see when we both end up delivering. I’ve enjoyed following your updates because I can completely relate. We even moved into a new house and found water damage in our kitchen and have been in the process of renovating too. I think Sept. 22nd would be fun as it is the autumnal equinox. I can’t wait to hear your story!

20 Angela September 20, 2014

excited for you!! Keep me posted, ok?

21 Donna September 20, 2014

Hi Angela, My oldest baby turned 27 years old this week. Hard to believe how time has passed. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful site. Its my “go to” recipe site. I love your cookbook. You create the best tasting recipes!! Secondly, I want to wish you all the best in this wonderful new adventure. My last child left home a little over a year ago and its been such an amazing experience living with three individuals from the beginning. I miss them so much. I wish you the very best! Donna

22 Angela September 20, 2014

Donna, that is so sweet. Your children are so lucky to have you!
And I’m so happy you enjoy the blog and cookbook so much. Thanks for all your support.. :)

23 Catherine @ foodiecology September 20, 2014

You look amazing. I’m sure I’ll be feeling the same way in a couple weeks (37 tomorrow for me). Here’s hoping you get to meet your sweet baby girl soon! :-)

24 Anna September 21, 2014

You look beautiful! :) You’ll be holding your sweet baby in no time. I remember I was a week late with my first son and 3 days late with my second son. Babies do grow up so fast, so definitely enjoy those newborn snuggles when you can. :)

Your body is certainly preparing for those sleepless nights and late night feedings. :) Definitely try to nap when the baby naps. If you do plan on nursing, I would highly recommend mastering the side-lying nursing position. That way, you can rest while baby is feeding.

Best of luck to you, can’t wait to read about baby girl’s arrival!

25 Margaret Flay September 21, 2014

Such a glowing example of how it is entirely possible to remain on a vegan diet throughout a pregnancy!
No problem about not being a napper, even 15 minutes as baby nurses does wonders (which quickly adds up when nursing 10-15 times a day, or more, those first weeks, since it takes frequent feeds to get well established).
Good luck! Baby is about to meet the very best of parents!!

26 Milissa September 21, 2014

I am sending you positive birth thoughts! I walked around for three weeks dilated 1 cm! I am CERTAIN that will not be your experience! I know it’s so uncomfortable at the end and I really believe it helps prepare us for labor! As for napping, I can do it but I feel horrible after, never been helpful for me. But, yes, breastfeeding is very relaxing, so while I didn’t necessarily nap, I did get rest which really did help. We all get through it and find what works best for our families and you will, too. Having extra hands around is really nice but it’s also okay to let everyone know if you’re tired and need some downtime. The first few days/weeks fly by in a blur no matter how much you savor every second, so enjoy it all!

27 Leah September 21, 2014

I remember being pregnant with Ella with her Oct due date and wondering if she would be an October baby or November baby! Do you ever wonder that? (Sept or Oct?!)… I hope Sept for your sake! :)

28 Leah September 21, 2014

Oh and btw I learned very quickly how to nurse while laying down and that was a life saver! We would snooze many times during nursing sessions!

29 AGS September 22, 2014

So very true – you can doze a bit while baby nurses, and it is wonderful.

30 Karlee September 21, 2014

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly! I am expecting my first in December and we too are remodeling our kitchen. Reno should start next month.

31 Megan September 21, 2014

So excited for you! Boy, you must be full of anticipation. Thanks for sharing this journey with us. It’s been a nice insight into pregnancy (particularly for someone who hasn’t experienced this yet). Look forward to hearing when and how you go, and of course seeing your precious little girl. Whether we get a 40 week update or a I HAD A BABY update, all the best and take care Angela.

32 shelley September 21, 2014

Long-time reader, but alas a lurker. Just a note to wish you all the best on your impending arrival. I’ve enjoyed your baby posts. You look fabulous! Bought your cookbook a month ago and love it.

33 Tammy Root September 21, 2014

Hi Ange — I wish you a short and, relatively :), pain-free labor and delivery! The one, and only consistent piece of advice, I hear from parents is to enjoy it, because the time goes so fast. It’s so true. I cannot believe my little munchkin is 2.5 already! :) I’m thinking and praying for you!

34 Nicola September 21, 2014

September babies rock (and I’m not just saying that because I am one!)

Totally relate to your experience of discomfort at this stage of pregnancy. And then strangely, and suddenly, when the little one appears, most of those symptoms are gone (except, obviously, the sleep disruption).

You don’t know me from a bar of soap but, for what it’s worth, this is the best advice I heard about having a new baby:

Don’t stand up when you could be sitting down.
Don’t sit when you could be lying down.
Don’t lie awake when you could be sleeping.

I tried to follow this and was successful some of the time. To enable it to work, it also helps to place your vacuum cleaner and a full basket of clean unfolded laundry by the front door – so hopefully your visitors will perform a chore for you when they arrive! If they get the (rather unsubtle) hint.

All the best for the days and weeks ahead. It’s such an exciting time.

Nicola

35 Tasha September 22, 2014

Hi Angela

I followed your blog for a long time a while back, until it got too complicated looking at your yummy recipes and trying to find the ingredients in France. I must admit to checking back every now and again to see if you were having a baby. I got such a surprise when I checked in a few weeks ago! Congrats and I hope it all goes well! I had baby number two in January and I still haven’t learned the art of napping. I guess that’s just the way I am. I heard that eating pineapple was a good way of getting labour started, and I was happily chopping away on some when I realised I had been having contractions sporadically all that day. Baby girl arrived the next morning… So maybe it’s more of a good early labour food to move things along quickly (very quickly in my case ;-))

All the best for a beautiful birth and safe arrival of your little girl. I look forward to reading your birth story.

Tasha xo

36 tara @ the mama modern September 22, 2014

you look utterly fabulous!

37 Shanny September 22, 2014

So excited for you! All the best!

38 Monica September 22, 2014

You look so lovely! :)

39 Stephanie September 22, 2014

You are such a beautiful pregnant lady Angela! I’ve been following your pregnancy updates and I gotta say it’s giving me major baby fever! Haha!

I also wanted to say that I bought your cookbook recently and I LOVE it! I’ve already made more than half a dozen recipes out of it (I’ve had it for about a week and a half; and I’m only cooking for my boyfriend and I!) and I have absolutely loved each and every one of them!! Best of all, it’s gotten me excited about cooking again! So thank you!! Best of luck with the end of your pregnancy and I hope you have a smooth delivery :)

40 Julie September 22, 2014

Best of luck! All of our thoughts are with you. Labor is tough but you can do it!

41 kate September 22, 2014

Do your sleep a favor and check out The Happiest Baby on the Block video. It is truly life changing.

42 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen September 22, 2014

You look amazing as always Angela (I love that dress!!). Excited to hear the upcoming news about your little one :) You’re in my thoughts!

43 AGS September 22, 2014

You look great. Things can be spotty with energy toward the end of the pregnancy. Baby #1 came 2 days later, and baby #2 2 days early. Try not to kill yourself as you approach your due date with cleaning, etc. I worked 9-10 hour days before I went into labor with both kiddos, and also cooked dinner, cleaned, etc. As labor started with baby #2, I recall commenting to my husband that I really wished I could have gotten some rest before labor. Labor is called labor for a reason – it’s very tiring! I also never napped, but I did learn that you can take a 15-20 minute quite moment to rest. I really hope I slow down this time with baby #3!!!

44 Kathy September 22, 2014

Can’t wait to read her entrance blog…I check daily…you are truly beautiful! Thanks for all the updates…from a grandma.

45 Carol September 22, 2014

Blessings to you and Eric during this exciting time. I don’t know the author of this little verse but I have thought of it often over the years. My daughters are 33 and 31!

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait ’til tomorrow.
For babies grow up, I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

Also, thanks for the fabulous cookbook. I’m loving it!

46 Natascha September 22, 2014

You look absolutely beautiful! I LOVE the belly! I have a 2.5 yr old and a 6 month old and seeing these pictures makes me want to be pregnant again :) enjoy these last few days!

47 Karen September 23, 2014

Adriana is beautiful…a name I love and would give my daughter if I was still child bearing years. You look stunning too…that glow! May all the days you both have with Adrianna be blessed. Thank you for allowing us to follow your journey of your pregnancy. Isn’t it wonderful to give birth? Thanks again for all your delicious recipes.

48 Shannan September 23, 2014

YAY! At the time I was reading this update she was had already made her entrance into the world. Congrats!!! :D

49 Mima September 23, 2014

Angela you really are a poster pregnant lady! You look fabulous!
Good luck! Wish you all the best with the delivery!
Congrats!

50 Mima September 23, 2014

Aaand I just saw on the Instagram that you delivered :))) Yeeeey Congrats!!! She is adorable!!! Love the name! Enjoy :)

51 Anna Lee September 24, 2014

I just saw your post on on Instagram (I don’t have one myself, but I still stalk everyone I love :P), and I squealed. Congratulations! She is so precious! Mama and baby both look wonderful. (:

52 sat September 24, 2014

Congratulations on your bundle of joy she is so cute

53 Todd September 25, 2014

WOW,you’re BEAUTIFUL Angela,and what an AWESOME pregnant belly you have!!!!!!!!!!!!

54 Ting September 25, 2014

I recognize that dress! It’s from ASOS! I love shopping maternity section on there. It’s amazing!! And the dress looks beautiful on you :)

55 Katrina September 26, 2014

You are the prettiest pregnant woman ever! Well, should I say mother now? Congratulations Angela, all the best xo

Katrina

56 Lea Jasmine September 26, 2014

Wow! Angela you look even MORE glowing than with your non-pregnant vegan glow. You looked PHENOMENAL prego. I saw your post about your daughter’s birth on Facebook, I haven’t been on your website in a while so I read both posts just now. Seriously I’m flabbergasted at how amazing you look. Usually I’m really shy so I don’t speak up, but now that I’m having a “let’s go with it” moment, I might as well tell you how much you’ve helped me transition into healthy eating in the past what, 3 years? I used to be completely vegan for 2 years, and stopped when my also vegan boyfriend and I broke up, because it was too hard for me on my own, but I kept following you in my non-vegan journey because I still believe in veganism and your recipes and posts have been amazing these last few years. So thank you for following your heart and blogging it all out.

xox Lea

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2014

Thank you Lea, you are too kind! :) I’m so happy that you are enjoying the blog. :)

58 Aneeta September 29, 2014

Congratulations Angela!!! Adriana is so lovely :)