34 Weeks

34weeksb

[Thanks to Eric for this week’s iphone pic!]

In just over a month I could be holding our sweet little girl in my arms for the first time. Time is flying!

I find myself saying to Eric, “Can you believe there is a BABY in there…a real, live baby…who gets hiccups, sucks her thumb, and likes to wiggle to music?” He’s like, “No way! I thought you just had some weird growth!”

haha….poor thing just has to humour me at this stage…

By week 34 the baby can weigh up to 5 pounds and almost 20 inches. She definitely feels heavy on my insides lately! I also can’t get over how big her body parts feel under my skin – especially her back. I love feeling her feet poke through my skin…I picture the cutest baby feet in there. My Braxton Hicks contractions have also increased in intensity this week. They aren’t what I would call painful, but I definitely feel twinges of discomfort when my stomach hardens up. Eric is amazed by how hard my stomach feels…it’s like a brick!

I had another osteopath treatment this week and I continue to see improvement in my sciatic area pain. [I say “sciatic area” pain because I have no idea if it’s sciatic related or just muscular – apparently sciatic pain is quite rare from what I’ve read.] Anyway, I feel like I got my life back. I can enjoy daily walks again and normal movements don’t hurt nearly as much. It’s a flippin’ miracle!

Days until due date: 37 (umm what!)

Number of OB appointments left: 5 (one per week)

Nesting or resting? This kitchen reno has killed my nesting mojo. I don’t want to clean or organize a thing. And you know how mess leads to even more mess? It’s a vicious cycle. I want to nest, but I just can’t be bothered to because it’s so chaotic in this house right now. I’m sure the urge to nest will kick in once the reno is over after the 1st week of September…then it’ll be full steam ahead! I guess you could say I’m more interested in “business nesting” lately. I’m trying to get all my ducks in order with the business. We’ve been working on updates to the blog this week (an updated design and installing a recipe rating system), and we’re still working hard on the app and new business.

Ravenous or Nauseous? My nausea hasn’t been bad this week, which is great! Food is more exciting and I’m eating non-stop. And I’m drinking a ton of water. Biggest craving of the week = cereal with homemade hemp milk. It was my first time making hemp milk. I really love that it doesn’t have to be strained because you keep all the wonderful protein in the drink. I blended up 1 cup hemp hearts, 4 cups water, 2-3 large pitted medjool dates, a couple shakes of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Now, I’ll warn you that hemp milk has a grassier/earthier taste than almond milk, but I found the flavour improved greatly after chilling. My first batch was gone in 24 hours! Yup, I guzzled that stuff. It’s been quite chilly here this week, so I’ve been all about my morning mug of french press coffee. I’m also on a big salsa and chip kick.

Shopping or saving? I found myself searching for a cute delivery gown online (yes, they exist) this week. For a moment, I was convinced that I needed something cute to wear while in delivery. hahaha. Then I realized I probably won’t care what the hell I’m wearing (if anything!) when push comes to shove. Needless to say, that purchase did not happen. I don’t know how I would’ve explained that one to Eric. So put me down as saving I suppose!

Calm or cranky? I’ve felt fairly cranky and emotional this week. It feels hormonal…almost like PMS. I’m hoping it passes! The long walks really seem to help my mood though. I always feel so happy during and after a good walk outdoors! Nothing beats it.

Last time I cried: Watching this Pamper’s marketing ploy/sweet, touching video about baby’s 1st birthday.

Baby names: We no longer have a first and middle name in the #1 spot, but we now have 3 names (first + middle names, that is) tied. I honestly have no idea which one I prefer…and I don’t think Eric does either. I’m thinking it might be a game day decision after we see our baby girl!

Ok that’s a wrap for this week. Have a great weekend everyone! I’ll be spending a lot of time outdoors enjoying this glorious, non-humid summer weather.

1 Alexandra August 15, 2014

So exciting that you’re getting so close! I love the new blog layout too, it looks great. I especially like the colour scheme.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2014

Thanks! It’s always hard picking colours (not my forte) but I was happy with this one, heh. It’s fun to change it up every so often.

3 LN August 15, 2014

That dress is beautiful! Where did you find it? That baby is going to be so healthy with all the goodness you are feeding it :)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2014

Thanks my dear! It’s from ASOS. I’m not sure if they carry it anymore, but they might have it in a white/cream colour.

5 Jennifer Beck August 15, 2014

Hey, stumbled on your site looking for quick, easy breakfast ideas but had to look at your baby posts. My little girl is 18 months old, all I can say is that your life is going to change so much, and it will be awesome! Some of the adjustments can be tough–I don’t love being in charge all the time, and I miss my free time, but I’m learning responsibility, balance, delegation and the beauty of accepting help. And as I chase after her and scoop her up and tickle her just to hear her shriek with laughter, I realize that my life is pretty close to perfect right now.
You are on an amazing journey. Parts of it are going to be difficult. But if you can relax and enjoy it, it is going to be better than you ever imagined!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2014

Beautiful words Jennifer! Your daughter is very lucky to have you!

7 Jessica August 16, 2014

Hi Angela I’m a new follower of your blog and I’m just loving it all! Your baby posts are taking me back to when I was pregnant with my now 18mo daughter with warm feelings of nostalgia! :-) enjoy your last few weeks having her inside of you, it’s such a precious time. I smiled when I read about the delivery gown, I bought some PJs to wear during delivery but I was so preoccupied with the rest of the delivery ‘experience’ that they didn’t even come out of my bag!
Looking forward to reading future posts. Thankyou for sharing with us!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2014

haha I’ve heard that from a lot of moms about never taking their stuff out of the packed bag! I’m sure it’s the last thing on your mind during the intense moments. I think I’ll aim to pack a good nursing tank and bra for the after party. ;) and probably a comfy sweater wrap since it’ll be into fall.
Glad you are enjoying the updates!

9 Ana Maria August 18, 2014

Those are perfect choices! I didn’t pull out any of my “delivery” stuff either, but the nursing bra and tops definitely came in handy and changing into some nice things helped me feel refreshed.

10 jen August 16, 2014

She could be here any day now! My completely normal pregnancy ended when my water broke at 35 weeks on the dot. We weren’t even remotely ready. She’s 3 now and has a 1 year old brother and my husband and I are both still constantly amazed at how much harder and better life is with kiddos. I’ve never worked so hard in my life as I do now as a sahm. And my kids are my sun and stars.

Just felt compelled to share, reflecting as I’m done having children and your journey is just beginning. Hope it’s a wonderful journey!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2014

Lovely words Jen!
ps- I’m sure no one was more surprised than you about the 35wk arrival! We totally wouldn’t be ready either in the full sense, but I guess it’s true what they say you just need a few basics in the beginning to get by! Glad it all worked out for you.

12 Kristen August 16, 2014

Angela, You are an amazing dynamo! And you look gorgeous! Is the app and new business for Oh She Glows? Where can we sign up?!? I love the rating system! Everything is 5+ stars though?..10+! I have been taking advantage of the cool weather to stock up the freezer with your recipes! Thank you sooooo much! Now my husband and I are set for breakfast(your nutty granola) and a variety of lunches to take to work! Thank you thank you thank you! It is wonderful to live the Oh She Glows way! Your recipes are delicious and foolproof! I was an infectious disease researcher before I was a teacher and love to seek out recipes! Not anymore…I just use yours because I know we will never be let down, the recipes will be nutritious and delicious, and we won’t ever feel deprived! We feel great! I appreciate your hard work and expertise! Kristen :)

13 Elizabeth August 16, 2014

I’ve just recently become vegan after being vegetarian since I was about 13. Your website is a complete Godsend – thank you so much for all of your amazing recipes. Also I got a vitamix about which I can only say, “on the 8th day, God made vitamix.” The most recent, the Crispy Quinoa Cakes, looks awesome, though I’ll admit that for dinner tonight I actually made your (Almost) Instant Chocolate Chia Pudding (it was one of those days, what can I say?). Anyway, the recipes are fantastic and have been giving me lots of inspiration. But I also just wanted to say that I love how your sweet personality comes across in your posts, and I’m really holding you, Eric, and your little one in my thoughts and prayers. I trust that everything will fall into place in just the right way – with your delivery, the name and everything. Many, many blessings to you over these next days and weeks.

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 17, 2014

Thank you Elizabeth, you are so sweet! I appreciate you thinking of us and I’m so happy you are enjoying the recipes so much.

15 AGS August 17, 2014

This photo is really lovely.

It can be hard to “nest” (something I’ve never really gotten with any pregnancy) when the house is upside down. I always found myself concentrating extra hard on work, rather than organization for baby, the last few weeks. Babies, however, are so very forgiving – neither my son nor daughter complained about the lack of organization/color coordination/etc. during their first weeks of life. . . nor subsequent months and years! Looking back, however, I probably should have hired a house cleaner around the due date, and given myself some time “off” – in fact, with baby #3, that is exactly what I intend to do. It gives a few hours back to focus on whatever you wish.

16 Stephanie August 17, 2014

I love your site and have been blogstalking you for a while now. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I see you counting days and I just want to make sure you remember, babies come on their own schedule. Whatever you and your midwife decide is safe and right for YOU going beyond your “due date”, that’s your actual due date. I worked in a clinic and saw so many women depressed when the 40 week date came and went. Please don’t let the joy be diminished if your baby decides she isn’t done yet. (On that same token, many little joyous bundles make a safe appearance early, too!)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 18, 2014

Yes that’s very true – only 5% come on the due date, so they say! I’ve actually prepared myself to go late since many 1st babies come late. But she could very well come early too (a scary thought during a major reno! haha). Only time will tell… :)

18 Tracy August 17, 2014

Angela, so excited for you! As a long-time blog reader, I have to say that you are “glow-ing” more than ever! As a mom of two, I had to write to tell you not to forgo the nightgown! I didn’t buy anything new to wear in the hospital when I had my first and regretted it when I saw the photos of me holding my precious newborn son. It’s not really important and may seem petty, but I just wished I had had something new and special to mark the occasion. When my daughter was born, I had a beautiful new nightgown packed in my bag and was so glad I did.

19 Sarah August 17, 2014

You look absolutely gorgeous in your pictures. Every time I read one of your baby posts, it takes me back to just a couple of years ago. My daughter is almost 19 months old now, but I remember and loved every second of pregnancy and having a newborn. Your life, your routines, and your heart are all going to change so much. When I held her for the first time, I understood what loving fiercely really meant. I am so excited for you. You’re going to be an amazing mom.

P.S.- I would worry more about bringing things that are comfortable for after the delivery. I didn’t care at all during, and I hear that’s pretty common. The best thing I packed was a huge, comfy pair of black pajamas.

20 Kimmie August 18, 2014

Wow! You are doing fabulous! I am thrilled to hear you are experiencing many Braxton-Hicks contractions! It’s a great sign for a good delivery! Now, just remember, when you experience those now and during delivery, that you need to relax your bottom—You know…where the baby comes out. It will hurry things along. Good luck! You will do great! An awesome Mom and Dad for this sweet baby girl miracle!

21 Rachel August 18, 2014

I’m sitting here eating hummus I just made from your book and reading through all your pregnancy posts. :-) I didn’t realize I was missing all these posts! I use Feedly to keep up with your blog, and added the baby page to my feed but they don’t seem to show up. Happy to catch up now! I’m so glad your back pain is improving! Is there any chance you have SI joint dysfunction? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint_dysfunction After I developed it during pregnancy I found out that it’s really common for that to happen. All the relaxin loosening your joints can cause all kinds of problems! I’m almost 3 months postpartum and still seeing a physical therapist to help me strengthen and re-stabilize my pelvis, and I’m starting to feel more back to normal. So don’t panic if it doesn’t go away soon after the birth! Those hormones take awhile to leave our systems, especially if you breastfeed your baby. Best of luck!

22 Andrea August 18, 2014

Buy the night gown! Or something just as comfy/fashionable. You won’t regret it!

23 Aimee August 18, 2014

Someone may have suggested this- I didn’t read all the comments- but I found great relief from sciatica/back pain/pelvic instability by wearing a maternity support tank. It seemed weird and old fashioned when I first heard about it, but maybe our grandmas were on to something! I was amazed by how much it helped.

24 Catherine @ foodiecology August 18, 2014

Beautiful photo (then again, you look gorgeous in all of them)!
It’s getting so close! Your baby girl will be here before you know it, and my boy won’t be too far behind. I’m not even close to being prepared!
Hemp milk (which I’ve never made, actually) and cereal sounds so good right now. I’ve been guzzling almond milk lately, but I may have to try the hemp out.
Oh, and you mention you’ve lost the nesting mojo because of the reno? Well, at least you have an excuse. I’m not nesting at all. It’s weird.
Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, especially that non-humid, cool weather (it’s 90 F in AL with a 106 heat index later in the week).

25 Helen August 19, 2014

When I was pregnant with my son I had what I thought was sciatic pain like you’re describing, but after the third PT I saw, who was a miracle worker, she said it was the laxity of the SI Joint. She had extra credentials/training in a special technique the other PTs I had seen didn’t have and after two sessions with her the pain was totally gone. It was such a relief!! she didnt send me home with exercises or anything. i don’t know what the technique is called, but she would press on the muscles around that joint asking when I would feel discomfort (if I felt something it felt like a tickling sensation). Anyway, this helped her identity which muscles to target then she would make those muscles go slack by putting me in a certain position and having me totally relax. Anyway, it worked for me. I wish I knew the correct terminology!!

26 Kyra August 19, 2014

I have seen those “designer delivery gowns” online, and now they just make me laugh…I mean, when you’re giving birth, everyone’s staring at your vajayjay anyway, so what’s the point?
Also, I’m about to have baby #3 sometime over the next week or two, sharing your excitement about soon having a little baby!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2014

hah very true. Whatever makes the mama feel good I suppose!
All the best with your upcoming delivery and new baby!

28 Mish @ Eatingjourney August 19, 2014

Oh the BH. I remember I had to do breathing exercises while shopping and sitting in the car at this stage cause they were real! It’s your body getting ready! I was naked for almost 1/2 of my labour due to being in the pool or in the shower….and honestly you just don’t even care as labour progresses…it’s the most primal thing I’ve ever done. BUT afterwards I would def wear something like that. Easy, comfortable and easy to nurse in. I also craved cereal all the time. You look beautiful and you’re gonna be such a good mama.

29 Kelly P August 20, 2014

“Then I realized I probably won’t care what the hell I’m wearing (if anything!) when ‘push’ comes to shove.” Haha, pun intended? ;-)

I’d say you definitely won’t care what you’re wearing during the actual labor and delivery. But a comfy AND pretty nursing nightgown for your stay at the hospital would be a good choice. For me a nightgown was more practical than pajama pants because the midwives stopped by daily to check on my stitches and bleeding.

30 Kat August 20, 2014

Echoing what others have said, while you don’t want anything “nice” to deliver in, definitely bring and wear your own clothes! It was much more comfortable being in my own (cheap and replacable) nightgown than it would have been laboring in a hospital gown. I also found that I liked the tank tops with the built in bra that you can get for a few dollars better than the designated nursing tanks for when I was in the hospital and still 15 months later for wearing around the house and sleeping in (lo still nurses at least once overnight). It doesn’t sting quite so much when those invariably get ruined, too.

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2014

Yes, I’m definitely planning on bringing some of my own stuff for sure! Gotta feel a bit cozy during the stay. ;)

32 Naomi August 20, 2014

Congratulations!! I’ve been skulking around your website for a couple of years, stealing all of your recipes and brought your book as soon as it was available in the UK. Selfishly, I’m excited to see how you’ve been managing a vegan diet whilst pregnant and then bringing up your child. I have so much respect for you (and Eric) and now that my husband and I start to think about starting a family with all the issues of being vegans we look to your blog for an understanding of what others are/will go through. Also, thank you for your blog and book – you are such a wonderful, pragmatic and truthful blogger. Naomi x

33 Aly August 21, 2014

Angela I am so excited for you and baby! I have used your recipes as my go-tos for the last 2 1/2 years after moving to a plant based diet after my first was born. I am now only a few weeks behind you with my second, due in October! I am looking for freezer meals to prepare before baby so that the first week or two we can still have filling, healthy, yet quick to heat up meals while resting and recovering. I’m sure you have thought of that too ;) but I don’t know where they are posted, or if you will be gearing up for that yourself in the next few weeks! Point me in that direction if they are already somewhere on the site, or let me know when to expect them soon! Thanks and good luck!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2014
35 Em @ Love A Latte August 22, 2014

You’re so close!!! You look wonderful. Enjoy every moment of this last month. My baby boy was born 10 days ago and it’s so surreal and incredible. It still seemed like forever away that I’d meet him when I was 34 weeks, but then time flew. Best of luck with your kitchen! We had some unplanned house renovation a week before I gave birth due to a bad thunderstorm. Talk about timing! Just got to smile and roll with it ha!

36 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen August 22, 2014

Only one more months! Time does fly – I can only imagine how excited you are to meet your little girl :)
And hemp milk sounds yummy! Something I definitively have to try :)

37 Jennifer August 22, 2014

Good morning Angela. I have been a big fan of your blog for over 2 years now. I just love your recipes. I have really enjoyed watching you journey into motherhood. I am sure some of your other followers has already mentioned natural childbirth to you. It sounds like you have maybe sought out this information already, I noticed you mentioned a doula group. I am a mother of 3 and I taught natural childbirth classes for over 10 years and was a doula as well. I am not currently teaching only because I decided to go back to school and get a nursing degree. Anyways, I just think you are in a perfect mindset to give birth naturally. I so hope you will try. I think you trust your body and its natural ability. I do think that the way you decide to give birth is a very personal choice and everyone needs to do there research and decide for themselves. I hope you enjoy all the ups and downs of the remainder of your pregnancy, as well as becoming a mother.

38 Jyo August 22, 2014

wow you are so close..and need less to say that you look amazing….i am 32 weeks and its a boy for me..can’t wait to hold my little one…I am so glad that you are pregnant at the same time i am…it is so so helpful to browse through your recipes and baby posts….when i was in my first trimester, i could not look into your blog at all for like 3 months bcoz of all that nausea…i still remember the day i logged into your blog in second trimester and found out that you are pregnant, i was so happy and must have told my husband a million times…thank you for all your recipes, tips, baby posts etc…
looking forward to meet little Angela on the blog :-)

39 Lisa August 23, 2014

Oh Angela, I’m so nostalgic and quite frankly jealous of you, doing this pregnancy thing for the first time. My daughter is almost 14 months old now, and her birth day was the best day of my and our lives. It’s so exciting and a little scary, but mostly exciting.
My 2 cents is to stay at the hospital as long as they’ll let you. It’s nice having someone there to answer your questions and just help you recover. Don’t over pack for sure. Take lots of photos, because you kinda forget to. If you do have a doula, which I did, ask them to take photos. It’s nice to have some of you and the hubs together. If you do want to go natural, I did as well, don’t let anyone talk you out of it. People were so negative about it when I mentioned it. I’d do it all over again for sure. My recovery was a breeze and my daughter knew exactly what to do when it was time to nurse. I’d highly recommend it IF your wanting to do it. It’s not for everybody, and I get that.
Good luck and enjoy every bit. Also, don’t get too attached to your due date. I tried not to, but when my daughter didn’t come until 8 days after, I admit I felt like everyone got me so amped up that it was difficult to wait for days afterward.
I’ll be thinking about ya!

40 Lisa September 11, 2014

Hi Angela, I’m so excited for you! I’m 16weeks and one day pregnant today and it feels like an eternity to go!
My iron levels have dropped, naturally, but my doctor gave me iron pills my system can’t deal with. So I try to eat as iron rich as I can but actually, my creativity runs rather low at this point (the daily spoonful of blackstrap molasses almost made me gag this morning), so if you have a very iron rich recipe in mind… please please share!
Lots of love to the three of you!
Lisa x