33 Weeks

33weeks

This week was sooooo not the best week. Anyone with me? I’m eager to be moving on to a fresh week. Almost anything that could’ve gone wrong this week did, including a few issues with our kitchen reno. I know it will all work out in the end, but it’s hard not to get worn down by the day-to-day grind of it all.

Anyway, I think I will chose to move on to happier times. Such as, the 3rd annual Liddonfest that went down this weekend. It’s a huge party that my brother-in-law throws for Eric’s birthday. The weather was ah-mazing and it was so much fun to just forget about our week from hell and catch up with friends and family. After being on my feet for 8 hours, I crashed pretty hard in bed Saturday night!

This week, I started re-watching some of my childbirth/care videos (Laugh and Learn about Childbirth and Laugh and Learn about Newborn Baby Care) for a much needed refresher. I think I’ve forgotten about 50% of what I learned a few months ago. Maybe I do have preggo brain, after all! Anyway, it’s good to be getting back into it again because the videos are super helpful and make me feel like I CAN DO THIS.

Guess who finally took the plunge and booked a maternity photoshoot? I wasn’t going to bother getting maternity photos taken, but I thought I‘d regret it if I didn’t. Plus, it will be nice to have a couple to hang in the nursery! We’ll probably do some photos in the master bedroom, maybe a couple in the nursery, and then some outside. I don’t want anything over the top or cheesy…just simple and natural!

Last week, I started seeing an osteopath for my sciatic area pain. I was feeling pretty desperate and thought I’d give it a shot after my doula recommended it. Well, after a couple treatments my pain has improved so much. I really wasn’t expecting much as I hadn’t been to an osteopath before and didn’t know what to expect, but it made a huge difference. I only wish I started to go sooner! This gives me hope that the next 6 weeks can be relatively comfortable.

Not much to report on the food front. I’m still struggling with the return of 1st trimester nausea on and off. Other days I want to eat everything in sight. Those hormones are strange things!

Baby girl is still entertaining me all day/night long. The newest thing I’ve noticed over the past couple weeks – her hiccups! She gets them once or twice a day and it’s pretty adorable. We are getting so excited to meet her. I really can’t say it enough. I’m really grateful for this incredible journey.

I’ll leave you with a couple Sketchie sightings from this week. He’s never far from the action…!

IMG_5032

IMG_5045

1 Sarah August 10, 2014

My son used to get hiccups and totally panic in my belly til they were gone! Even now at 14, if he gets hiccups he panics and needs water asap! It’s kinda neat to see how some of those things are traits they carry for life. Enjoy your next few weeks. It’s a really special time. And thank you for your blog and cookbook…I thoroughly enjoy both!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

I’m amazed by how long the hiccups can last in there..I keep saying she’s getting a good workout! heh.
Thanks for your kind words about the blog & book! Happy you are enjoying it!

3 Judy July 28, 2016

For the hiccups, gently but firmly squeeze your left shoulder, until the hiccups stop. It works! The nerve which supplies your diaphragm also supplies your shoulders. The left side of the diaphragm goes into spasm when you hiccup. So stimulating the left shoulder calms the spasm. Try it!

4 Bonnie August 10, 2014

Your nausea is likely related to the increased iron dose. Iron supplements are notorious for digestive upsets.

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

Yes, very true about iron supplements Bonnie! Some are notorious for causing stomach upset. My nausea came on before I increased my dose from 25 to 50 mg so I don’t think that’s what’s causing it. And these gentle iron pills that I take can even be taken on an empty stomach with no adverse feeling. My doc said it’s very common to have nausea return in the 3rd when hormones shift again.

6 Karena August 13, 2014

Could you please recommend a gentle (perhaps food based) iron supplement? I’m just entering my 3rd trimester and I could use a good iron supplement! Thank you for all that you do – I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your cookbook :)

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2014

Hi Karena,
I use Solgar Gentle Iron (25mg) I love it! As I mentioned, I can take it on an empty stomach with no issues (however I do try to pair with Vit C foods for maximum absorption!)
You can find my prenatal supplements here: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/05/05/my-prenatal-supplements/

8 Meg August 13, 2014

FerroFood by Standard Process is a great wholefood Iron supplement.

9 Meg August 13, 2014

Try to get a couple B6/B12 injection (methylated B12) or just sublingual form would help, too. Upping your B vitamins will help support your adrenal gland function which will help with the nausea

10 Lynn August 11, 2014

What an exciting time for you two! Don’t worry about forgetting what you already learned….I experienced the same thing and found out I might as well have waited to read and watch all those books and videos AFTER the baby arrived! By then it was a reality and not a “someday”. And besides, absolutely nothing can prepare you in advance….it’s your story and it’s going to fall into place just as it should.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

That makes total sense – I always learn best by “doing” anyway. It’s nice to feel mentally prepared even if it’s nothing like the actual event! hah.

12 Kelly P August 11, 2014

Cute pictures frames!

My daughter had the hiccups 2 or 3 times a day for the last 2 months of my pregnancy, and continued to get them as often for the first month or two after she was born. Totally normal!

Haha my cat also “tested” all of the baby’s things before her arrival, just to make sure they were comfy for her. He’s very thorough…9 months later he’s still testing them. ;-)

Enjoy your pregnancy shoot! You’ll love to look at those pictures later on, and so will your little one.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

Good to know :)
Yes those cats are thorough! Sketchie investigates everything that enters the house. He new favourite chair is the glider in the nursery! I think he thinks we made the room just for him. Not sure what he will think about our little bundle of joy though, hah.

14 Cara August 13, 2014

Yeah, our cats think all baby things are really theirs, and they wait impatiently while the baby uses them. As soon as she gets up, they reclaim whatever it is (car seat, bouncy seat, little chair). When the baby was first born, two of them were kittens and they could both fit in the bouncy seat at once! Too cute :-)

15 Mish @ Eatingjourney August 11, 2014

I LOVE our osteo. I HIGHLY suggest an osteo as soon as you can after birth. It helped so much with bub and their latch for BF. I swear by it. It also helped prevent/treat colic. Can’t recommend them enough. xo

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

So glad the osteo helped you guys too! I’m so glad I gave it a shot even though I pretty much had no hope of someone helping my pain.

17 Sonya August 11, 2014

I love reading about your pregnancy journey, thanks so much for sharing. I’ve been an avid blog follower for the last few years, and am addicted to your cookbook (seriously, it’s the best!). I’m actually 3 months pregnant myself, and everything you share (minus the sciatic pain!) has me so excited about everything to come, especially feeling the baby move for the first time. I hope you have an amazing week!

18 Annaliese August 11, 2014

Wow-what a journey! You can do it! And those photos will be worth it. I love looking through my baby pictures that my parents took, and always wish they had more! :)

19 Laura August 11, 2014

I recommend the book and/or video “The Happiest Baby on the Block”. It might be helpful to wait and wait it (together with your husband) after the baby arrives. But if you have time to read or see it before, it might be good too. I found what I learned in there to be very helpful and not always obvious as a new parent! All the best.

20 k August 11, 2014

Happiest baby in the block was very helpful to us in thefirst few weeks! Quick read or YouTube!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

A friend gave me the video…so it’s definitely in cue! :) Glad you both enjoyed it.

22 Camille August 11, 2014
23 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2014

haha saw that shoot last week! the one where he is peeking around the corner is the best

24 Ingunn August 11, 2014

I love the hiccups too! So cute. <3 I just reached 35 weeks and while I've felt pretty energetic so far, suddenly the baby seems to have dropped lower into my pelvis, making sitting uncomfortable and walking (waddling!) really tiring! It made me realize that whoa, this is really happening soon, and now I'm stressing around to try to get the house cleaned and baby clothes laundered so I'll be ready. (I also just got your book so I can get started on freezer meals!)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2014

So exciting that you are so close! I can’t wait until that ’48 hour burst of energy’ hits me (or so I’ve heard!)…my house will need a HUGE clean once the renos are done…hah.
Wishing you all the best these next weeks!

26 AGS August 11, 2014

You are doing great! The end is near (so to speak). As for labor and delivery. . . you can absolutely do this. Your doula and spouse will be a huge help. Watch the videos, and also practice trusting and depending on the advice of this support team.
Glad you found some relief. I had such bad shooting pain with pregnancy number one, I remember having to cancel client meetings, b/c I wouldn’t be able to sit through them without causing a scene. Again. . . the end is near!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2014

Thanks for your encouragement…it means the world to me!
I can totally relate to your sitting pains. I did a lot of computer work standing up at my desk because it was way too much effort to go through the pain of sitting and shifting until I was “comfortable”. I feel like I have gotten my life back after seeing the osteo though. I never knew I could be so happy to not have pain when putting on socks, shoes, or underwear. ;)

28 Elizabeth August 11, 2014

I love seeing your updates on your pregnancy! So glad the osteo is helping with the sciatica. I struggled with that as well and drove my poor hubby nuts at night! Sketchy is adorable waiting for a walk in the stoller!
I received a copy of your cookbook a couple of weeks ago and my daughter and I are enjoying trying out the recipes. She and I are the only vegans in the family and so far we love it all! She would be happy if I made Yolos all the time, and I am making lots of Flu Fighter smoothies trying to fight off my cold. So Soothing!
Can’t wait for more updates!

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2014

Thank you Elizabeth! I’m so happy you are enjoying the cookbook…and thanks for reminding me to make that smoothie. It’s been too long!

30 Stefanie August 12, 2014

Haha, this is so funny – Sketchie sitting in the stoller, hitch hiking! Love it!
I am so excited for you and can’t wait to watch baby photos.

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2014

Hitch hiking is a great way to describe it! He loves catching a free ride. He also enjoys being pushed around the house while sitting in a big box…LOL. cats!

32 Becky August 12, 2014

I’m also 34 weeks pregnant and have definitely felt different/worse the last week. It’s mainly upper back pain. I’m going to a chiropractor today for the first time and I really hope this helps! It’s been fun reading your posts since we’re at the same place in pregnancy. Thanks for sharing your pregnancy with your readers :) Good luck!

33 Daphna R. August 12, 2014

Hi Angela!
I love your blog and your recipes. You are such an inspiration and I can sit and look at all your amazing posts, pictures, and recipes for hours on end! I just had my first baby 3 months ago, and I can totally relate to your experience of becoming a mom. The hiccups are the cutest!! After giving birth (which was an amazing yet crazy story – let’s just say all my plans went out the window and that was a good thing) I felt really empowered and inspired to share my experience with others and to encourage others on their journey. So I started a blog (I post between diaper changes and nursing) about my two passions – herbs, and my baby! I thought you would like it. It’s brand new, like my baby, but I have big hopes for it. Let me know what you think!
Thanks for all your sharing and amazing recipes. It really means a lot to all of us and it’s wonderful to have such a great resource at our fingertips to keep our bodies and babies happy.
Much love,
Daphna

34 Luci August 12, 2014

With twins, sometimes they’d get hiccups at the same time, and I swore they were playing ping pong in there. It was pretty cool, but also really weird!

Those same twins now LOVE your spiced lentil and kale soup by the way. I made a double batch and my husband and I were barely allowed to eat it.

Our cats had to check out all of the baby equipment, too. They were really surprised when it was suddenly occupied by squealing little humans, though!

35 Christine August 12, 2014

what type of cat do you have? beautiful spots!!
Also, what is the paint colour on the wall? Looks like Ben Moore Revere Pewter….

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2014

Oh man, I can only imagine that! My friend who just had twin girls said the twins used to wake each other up all night long. I’m sure her sleep is better now than it was during those last few months.
So happy to hear the soup is so enjoyed!
yes I think the stroller might lose its appeal once there is a rowdy baby in there…heh.

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2014

not sure why this comment is in blue…! I think we won a prize?

38 Jen August 12, 2014

My hubby is an osteopath here in Hamilton so I am thrilled to hear that you’ve found an answer to your pain! Keep your osteo in mind post-childbirth, too – osteopathy is great for newborns/infants, too!

39 Kristina August 13, 2014

Oh Angela, you *do* look stunning with that belly of yours :)

I am so happy you booked a photoshoot! In my book you can never have too many pictures of your gorgeous bump, and trust me when I say that they will be SO nice to have later on, when you start missing being pregnant. We took quite a few of me when I was pregnant, and I am so grateful for that. I look at them so often it is almost embarrasing :P

Kisses,

Kristina, Sweden.

40 Jana August 13, 2014

You look truly beautiful!
My son would get hiccups too in utero and his twin brother would always kick him to stop it. That relationship carried over into their toddlerhood.
Can’t wait to see your precious little girl once she’s born!

41 Beckie August 13, 2014

You look so GREAT!!!! Wishing you all the best as you get closer the meeting your little one.

42 Angelina August 13, 2014

Hi Angela

I love your blog and am 27 weeks along in my pregnancy. Thanks for sharing your journey! Where are you getting those gorgeous dresses?

Thanks
Angelina

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2014

Hi Angelina, Thanks for the kind words! And congrats on your pregnancy :)
This dress is an old dress from H&M (with lots of stretch!) – it’s not a maternity dress (and to be honest, the waist seam isn’t the most flattering from the front on a preggo belly – wish it was empire waist!), but sometimes anything is better than yoga clothes ya know? ;)

44 Nicole @ Broken Road Creative August 13, 2014

Omigosh, I love that last photo of Sketchy! Does he seem to be protective of your belly!? My cat Jim was like that with my first pregnancy and this one. Plus, he only gets more so as I get closer to my due date (2 1/2 weeks for me!).

I do think you’ll be glad you did the maternity photos. Even though pregnancy sometimes seems to go on for forever, you’ll be amazed how quickly it went by once you’re actually holding your baby and those photos will be a wonderful memento of this time!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2014

That’s cute! I’ve heard that a lot about animals, but Sketchie hasn’t really paid much attention to my growing bump and he doesn’t seem to cuddle me more than usual (which is not very often in the summer because it’s so warm!) He’s much more of a winter snuggler. heh

46 Louise August 13, 2014

I had sciatica during my first two pregnancies, and it totally disappeared after delivery. In both cases it was the first sign I was pregnant. Didn’t have any the second time around.

47 Janna August 13, 2014

I love reading these updates! Thank you for sharing and best of luck on your new chapter :)

And thank you for all the great recipes that have made it to our kitchen in Nova Scotia!

48 heather August 14, 2014

Hi –

Fellow pregnant lady here, same week as you but this one is my fifth. In my experiences with childbirth I want to recommend that you look into Ina May Gaskin; she has a few books and a documentary that I strongly think all women going through labour for the first time should be familiar with. I wish I had had the knowledge she imparts for my first, second, third and fourth. She talks about things in labour, with women and with couples that no one else seems to touch on; things that will truly help during labour and probably goes against most things you watch in other videos. Truly, she is an excellent voice of experience and reason.

Good luck in the coming months. Don’t get pushed into making choices that you aren’t comfortable with – it’s not always so nice & wonderful with doctors & nurses when you are truly in a position to not be rational. I don’t want to sound daunting but I’ve had enough labours/deliveries to speak with a little experience. I’ve been through it all and wish you an easy and earth changing experience. What an empowering thing birth is. What an incredible thing to be a woman and bring life.

49 Andrea August 21, 2014

Heather, I agree. Ina May is amazing. Her book Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth helped me prepare and look forward to my birth. Her book was invaluable!

50 Pure Ella August 14, 2014

Oh this is such an exciting time for you Angela ;)
It will be amazing to meet your little sweet baby girl ~ pure joy!!
Yes, maternity photos are a must!! It’s the cutest keepsake ever – for you and your girl when she’s older ;)
All the best on this next exciting chapter!
And good luck with the kitchen reno…
xoxo ella

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2014

Thank you Ella…you are so sweet. It’s been fun following along your journey too!

52 Michelle August 15, 2014

First time commenter…Love your website! Such amazing food!!! It’s been fun to watch your pregnancy unfold, too. I have two babies of my own who are now young adults, so it’s been great to “relive” the ups and downs of pregnancy. That all being said, thanks for sharing the pictures of Sketchie. He is a gorgeous cat! I love seeing him in your posts :)

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2014

Thanks for your lovely comment Michelle!

54 Beth August 15, 2014

Other places kitties like to hang out:
The changing table
The crib
The Snuggle-Nest (co-sleeper)
Piles of clean baby laundry/diapers
The car seat

Sorry to hear about the nausea…that stinks. Hope you feel better soon and that this is a better week for you!

55 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen August 16, 2014

So happy to hear that your pain is easing up – sciatic pain is the wooorstt! If it is any constellation your pink dress is absolutely adorable and you are glowing in it! Wishing you a better week this week and good luck with your renos!! :) :) :)
Oh, and pictures of Sketchie always bring the biggest smile to my face!

56 Robyn August 17, 2014

Oh My! You look amazing! I’ve been gone since purchasing your cookbook (loooove it!) And now I’m back for more of your fantastically inspiring recipes ;0) I absolutely love your blog and share it constantly! Plant based nutrition has changed my life and your blog, personality and amazing recipes helped start my journey, thank you soo much<3 Preggo brain or not, your followers will be here with support in thanks for your positive influence in our lives.

57 Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine August 17, 2014

I love reading your updates. You look absolutely beautiful. I am glad you decided to do the photos. I am like you– never want all that attention on me, and I look back and wish I had more photos of significant life events!

58 Julie August 21, 2014

LOVE the pic of Sketchie in the stroller! :P

59 PinaColada August 21, 2014

You look beautiful Angela!! Lovely dress! The big day is coming up really soon now, very excited for you and your growing family! :)

60 Alissa August 22, 2014

I’m so glad an osteopath was able to help with your pain. My mom is an osteopathic surgeon, and my sister has just started medical school to become an osteopath. Naturally, I think they’re pretty amazing people. Plus, I saw one before and during my pregnancy, and they helped me so much! ;) Best wishes to you!