24 Weeks

24weeksb

[hi Sketchie!!]

6months

Hello, 6 months!!

Can you tell I’ve been eating a lot of watermelon lately? hah. Six months feels like a huge milestone in my pregnancy. I feel very blessed and thankful for my baby & body. My absolute favourite experience is when I feel her kick; it honestly makes me happy so many times throughout the day. I now realize where the “glow” comes from in pregnancy. At least for me, it’s the happiness and connection I feel with her that fills me with gratitude.

I’ve realized lately that being pregnant has been a positive thing for my body image. For so much of my life I tried to have control over my body, but with pregnancy there’s this perceived loss of control that feels very freeing at times. Sure there are those freak out moments along the way, but for the most part it’s given me a new appreciation. My body now has a mind of its own and all I can do is sit back and enjoy the ride. It’s a beautiful thing to just let go and embrace.

I haven’t talked much about pregnancy symptoms on here and that’s mostly because most of them don’t feel overly newsworthy. I’ve had most of the common symptoms though. Most of my symptoms haven’t interfered too much with my daily life. This week was a bit different though. I started to get bad rib pain on the lower right side of my ribcage which often radiates to my back ribs. I would describe it as feeling like a burning or pulling sensation. Or that the baby is pressing up against the base of my right rib cage. I heard it’s quite common in the 3rd trimester, but it can happen earlier. Some women even get bruised or broken ribs from baby kicks! Isn’t that crazy? I wouldn’t be surprised if my ribs were bruised because they are very tender in this one area. My next OB appointment is Monday so I’m going to talk over the rib pain with the doc and see what he says about it. I’ll keep you posted.

In the meantime, here’s what I’m doing to get relief from the rib pain:

Not sitting for long periods of time. I find it’s most bothersome when I’m sitting down, so I’m using a standing desk station when sitting becomes too uncomfortable. Also at night, instead of sitting on the couch, it’s much more comfortable to stretch out horizontally. I find I have almost complete relief when lying down and thankfully zero pain when I sleep.

Better posture!! Slumping over when sitting or standing seems to make it feel a lot worse (not surprisingly). I constantly remind myself to open up my chest, pull my shoulders back, and create more space for the baby.

Hot water bottle. I’ve been using a hot water bottle on my back once or twice a day (making sure it’s not too hot). It’s absolutely heavenly! I met with a prenatal chiropractor today and she recommended that I try ice on my back. She said that the heat, while comforting, can be a bit inflammatory, so I’m going to try using ice for a couple days and see if I notice a difference.

Soft cup bras. I switched from underwire bras to soft cups for now because I suspected the underwire was making the rib pressure even worse.

Prenatal massage. I received some prenatal massage gift cards for my birthday last month (thanks mom and Al!) so I figure now is a great time to put them to use! My first appointment was yesterday evening and it felt lovely.

Chiropractor. My doula referred me to a prenatal chiropractor that she’s been using for all of her pregnancies. I didn’t know this, but apparently chiropractors can help with pelvic alignment (among many other things) which can actually help the baby move into position and facilitate labour. Sign me up.

Dark Chocolate. Obviously.

Let’s see what else went on this week baby wise? We had a meeting with our Doula and it went great. She spent a couple hours talking to us about the entire labour process from early contractions to recovery. I was happy that her info lined up with the info presented in the Laugh and Learn DVD that I watched recently. She also took note of any wishes we had for the birth plan. I’m not crazy about making grand plans for things that are so unknown, so I’m keeping my mind open about labour. While I love the idea of a natural labour, I’m also not against having an epidural if that’s what it comes to. So we’ll see how it plays out. My goal is to go as long as possible using the natural methods we have available (this is where the Doula will be a huge help), but I’m not going to put expectations on having one type of labour experience. Obviously, the main goal is a healthy baby at the end. My strategy leading up to labour is to learn as much as I can, prepare my body, surround myself with great support, and have an open mind about it.

In nursery news, Eric has been taking advantage of the nice evening weather and working on her dresser. So far he’s patched it with wood filler, sanded, and primed it. I think this weekend he hopes to finish painting it. Pictures to follow soon!

Mr. Sketchie has taken a liking to the nursery lately – he loves sleeping in there when the sun comes in the window. Little does he know this quiet sanctuary is going to become something entirely different when the baby is here!

This below is his “I’m trying to catch some shut eye, stop bothering me” face. hah.

sketchie-0235

By the way, Sketchie is doing great. We’re so thankful for everyone’s support about his lymphoma. He’s been on meds since March and I’m happy to report that he is doing amazing. The blood work is coming back good and he has been his normal self throughout. His severe diarrhea cleared up after about 2-3 weeks of being on the meds and we are so so grateful for that (as I expect he is too). I feel so lucky to have him in my life. It’s amazing to think of the joy that he’s brought us over the past several years. On that note, I’m going to go snuggle him…

1 Nicole B June 6, 2014

Hi Angela,

I have been enjoying your blog and recipes for awhile now, and I was just wondering how Sketchie was doing. I’m so happy to hear he’s doing better :) I had a Bengal cat for a number of years. They definitely have special personalities. Hope his improvement continues!

2 LN June 6, 2014

It’s great you are keeping an open mind for your labour. I wanted a natural birth but wasnt able to do carry through with it because my baby was posterior and the pain was so intense. I had the same mind frame though, whatever happens happens and i think that is a very healthy train of thought. Happy to hear you are doing great :)! Yay for Sketchie!!

3 Audrey June 6, 2014

You look beautiful! :) Hope you can find relief for the rib pain–and that you don’t get a broken rib! And glad to hear that Sketchie is doing well.

4 Nicole @ Broken Road Creative June 6, 2014

I’m so glad to hear Sketchie’s doing well!

Towards the end of my first pregnancy, it seemed like my little girl had her foot lodged underneath one of my ribs– so painful! This time, I get tons of painful kicks but she’s still got enough room that I can change my position and make myself (and her, I’m guessing) a little more comfortable.

Anyways, love the updates! Your bump is beautiful and I totally understand what you mean about pregnancy being good for self-image. Without going into too much detail, I really believe having my first baby helped me recover from my eating disorder– more specifically, it was breastfeeding her. It was hard to hate my body when it was working so well to provide all the nutrition my little girl needed to grow!

5 Steffi June 7, 2014

Hi Angela,

I’ve followed your blog for some time and I’m in awe about your creativity in cooking! I’m also quite interested in your journey through pregnancy and motherhood, as I had our son 2 weeks ago. The rip pain could be due to the expansion your rips undergo as your girl grows. Have you felt like your bras don’t fit that well anymore? Could also be because of the rip expansion!
Your words about your approach to birth resound deeply in me – have you ever heard about Hypnobirthing? It’s a method to prepare for birth leaving all prejudices and fears behind, instead nurturing your confidence in your body and mind by practicing various ways to relax, including highly effective affirmations and breathing techniques (the partner plays an important role in guiding you through the relaxation). The goal is to enable you to give birth as natural and comfortable as possible, and to ensure that the baby is always doing fine. Hypnobirthing gave me an incredible birth experience, although our son was early and breech, the amnion had opened right from the beginning and I was in labor for 3 days. Despite all these circumstances he was fine through the entire process and I could deliver him naturally without any medication. I highly recommend you to check this method out, as it fits so well to your overall-approach!
Wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy, enjoy every step of it – it goes by so fast!

Steffi

P.S.: Sorry for all the mistakes I made – I’m German ;).

6 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen June 7, 2014

Dark chocolate solves pretty much all life’s problems in my book!! So glad to hear that Sketchie is doing great – he looks like he is really enjoying the sunshine in the first picture:D

7 Christina June 7, 2014

Hi Sketchie!! I’m SO glad he’s doing better! Your baby bump is adorable, Angela. Hope your pains are more easygoing this coming week!

8 Erin June 8, 2014

Angela,
I’m gonna add to what everyone has already said and say you are totally going in the right direction as far as having an open mind with the birth process :) . . . I am a nurse and it’s frustrating when patients get so caught up in the birth process and how they want it to go when, while it is important, it is still a means to an end . . . which is a healthy baby!!! A healthy baby is always a success :). Keep up the good work . . .
Also just in general, I recently discovered your blog and cookbook and I LOVE it. The smoothies are so delicious and I use em to get through my long shifts :).Thanks a ton for inspiring others with your love of life and food and whatnot.

9 Ella June 9, 2014

I haven’t commented much on your blog before, but when I was pregnant I had a very similar rib pain that was quite bad until the middle of the third trimester when it went away on its own (I think that my son got in a habit of sticking a shoulder or knee in the same spot). I found the best way to relive it was to get down on my hands and knees and rock back and forth. It would take all the pressure off when it was quite bad. Hope everything keeps going smoothly for you!

10 Laura June 9, 2014

I suggest reading Ina May Gaskin’s book – “Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth”. This was the single best thing I did to prepare for my first child’s birth and I recommend to all of my friends.

11 Jen June 9, 2014

I’m so happy to hear Sketchie is doing better and that he’ll get to stick around for a long time to play with his sister!

12 Julie June 9, 2014

Glad your cat is doing better!

I’m only 15/16 weeks and am just getting to a point where I can’t hide my bump any longer. I go back and forth between marveling and sometimes feeling self-conscious about it, but I think/hope that will go away when I’m bigger and undeniably pregnant. I’m pretty sure these feelings are normal.

Underwire has been my enemy for a while, maybe because my ribs have expanded already? I have marks from where it was rubbing too much before I had the sense to get new bras.

13 Em @ Love A Latte June 9, 2014

That’s how I feel about the birth process too. I would love to go completely natural, but I’m just going to take it as it comes. I agree with pregnancy being a great thing for embracing the wonderfulness that is the female body! I’ve had my struggles in the past as well and I love watching my belly grow now. The number on the scale can be a bit scary (especially as I dive into the third trimester), but I know that’s not what to focus on. Just want to provide a good home for the baby :)

14 Katie June 9, 2014

So glad Sketchie is well! :)

I highly recommend the chiropractor based on my experience! Around 30ish weeks I started having terrible sciatic pain- so bad that it hurt to walk. I went to see a chiropractor and after 2 weeks of 3 visits a week, the pain was basically gone. It felt miraculous. I did have a relatively quick labor for a first time mom (about 9ish hours from admitting I was really in labor not just experiencing BH contractions to birth) so perhaps it helped with that as well? Congratulations and enjoy your beautiful pregnancy! :)

15 Angela June 9, 2014

Thanks for your comments and suggestions everyone! :)

16 Somer June 10, 2014

Hi Angela! For our first, we wanted a natural birthing experience as well and looked into hypnobirthing. I found it to really work but our baby felt the need to not play nice and we ended up with an emergency c-section. For our second (27 weeks as of now) we are planning another natural birth experience again and following the hypnobirthing guide again. Good luck!

17 Somer June 10, 2014

18 sonia the mexigarian June 10, 2014

Very glad to hear that Sketchie is doing better :) I was just thinking about him the other day as I played with my kitties.

I love reading your thoughts and feelings about your pregnancy. I’m not pregnant, but plans are happening and it’s very calming to ‘hear’ how relaxed and open you are about the birth process etc.

The bump kills me. So lovely. <3

19 Catherine @ foodiecology June 10, 2014

I’m so glad to hear Sketchie is doing better. I hope our fur-babies adjust well to their new lives when our human babies arrive.

I know what you mean about pregnancy and body image. Though I’d become more comfortable in my skin just prior to getting pregnant, my expanding body and all the sensations (good and not-so-good) that have come along with it have done wonders for my self-esteem. (That’s not to say I don’t have occasional fat or ugly days, but I’m really enjoying this entire process and my appearance.)

Hope things continue to go well and that your little lady eases up the rib kicking. :-)

20 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health June 11, 2014

You look absolutely beautiful! I hope the dark chocolate cures the rib pain soon. :)

I’m also happy to hear Sketchie’s meds are helping! That’s great news.

21 Lisa June 11, 2014

Hi Angela,
You look fabulous and I am so happy Mr. Sketchie is doing better! L

22 Kath June 23, 2014

I had that rib pain – it was terrible!! Mine lasted until 33/34 weeks. It was like a burning/numb pain. I hope yours isn’t too bad!

23 Sarah July 1, 2014

Angela,

Congrats on your baby! 2 suggestions I’d like to make from my experience:

1) Take a legit prenatal yoga class or experiment with chest-opening poses (but NEVER twists during pregnancy) to expand your ribcage and give baby more room to grow while relieving your pain.

2) Read “Birthing From Within.” I did so much research before my labor, but it wasn’t until a few months afterward that I came across this gem. It explores the mental/emotional blocks women often have with labor and how to approach labor as a self-discovery experience. As wonderful as my birth experience was, I wish I had read that book beforehand.