Moroccan Yam Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Lime Tahini Sauce

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 16, 2014

veggieburgers-7836

The original plan for today’s post was to share this triple layer carrot cake. I was hoping for a birthday miracle – maybe just this once it would work on the first try? Yea right. Three trials later, I don’t want anything to do with cake. (Let’s be real, that probably won’t last more than a day.) Vegan and gluten-free cake creation is not for the faint of heart, I tell you.

Enter Birthday Burgers. This might have to become a yearly tradition! I think I like this meal better than cake anyway. You’ve probably heard of those BB skin creams and potions that are everywhere these days. Well, I like to think of this as a BB meal. There’s no sugar crash – just a boost of energy for hours, a kick in your step, a glow to the skin. Total BB meal. Nourish that skin from the inside out. Wrapped in curly lettuce and topped with a cilantro-lime-tahini sauce and homemade salsa, it’s just about the most balancing meal I could’ve hoped for to kick off turning 31. It’s going to be a great year.

moroccanyamveggieburgers

4.8 from 23 reviews

Moroccan Yam Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Lime Tahini Sauce

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free

By

A flavourful Moroccan-style veggie burger served with a tangy and fresh cilantro-lime tahini sauce. You can make these burgers soy-free by using coconut aminos and they are naturally gluten-free when using certified gluten-free rolled oats/oat flour. Burger recipe is inspired by Ryan's Moroccan Yam veggie burgers from the Whitewater Cooks Cookbook.

Yield
6-8 patties
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

FOR THE BURGERS:
  • 1.5 cups grated yam (I used a sweet potato in a pinch)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 small piece of fresh ginger (1 cm cube), peeled
  • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 1.5 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons water
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour (use gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
FOR THE CILANTRO-LIME TAHINI SAUCE (makes 1/2 cup):
  • 1 small garlic clove, peeled
  • 2/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. FOR THE BURGERS: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
  2. Peel the yam. Using the regular-sized grate hole, grate the yam until you have 1 1/2 lightly packed cups. I used the grater attachment disc in my food processor to save time (it takes less than 20 seconds). Place into large bowl.
  3. Remove grater attachment from food processor, and add the regular "s" blade. Mince the garlic, cilantro, and ginger until finely chopped.
  4. Add drained chickpeas and process again until finely chopped, but leave some texture. Scoop this mixture into a large bowl.
  5. In a small bowl, stir together the flax and water mixture.
  6. Grind the oats into a flour using a blender or a food processor. Or you can use 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon pre-ground oat flour. Stir this into the mixture along with the flax mixture.
  7. Now stir in the oil, aminos/tamari, salt/pepper, and spices until thoroughly combined. Adjust to taste if desired.
  8. Shape 6-8 patties, packing the mixture firmly together. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then carefully flip, and bake for another 18-23 minutes until golden and firm. Cool on pan.
  9. FOR THE CILANTRO SAUCE: Mince garlic in a food processor, followed by the cilantro. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and process until smooth and creamy.
  10. Serve the patties with a generous dollop of sauce and optional homemade salsa (from OSG cookbook, p.95) with a bun or lettuce wrap.

Tips:

Note: I was missing a bit of crunch in these burgers, so next time I think I will add 1/4 cup sunflower seeds into the mix.

veggieburgers-7844

Don’t forget – today is the last day to enter the #osgcookbook Vitamix Contest. Keep those pictures coming!

hippymomelizabeth May 16, 2014 at 7:23 am

Looks great…Work on those trials I like cake. Kale cake???? hmmm have a good day…

hippymomelizabeth May 18, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Will you please make a green monster cake, if you have not, yet.

Lindsay May 16, 2014 at 7:30 am

Happy Birthday!!!!!

These look divine! I think they’d also be great on a kale salad with a smoky dressing — and I think that’s going to have to happen at my house this weekend!! So we will celebrate “with” you!!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! May 16, 2014 at 7:30 am

These look fantastic! Love all the spices you used. They all pair so well with the sweetness of yams! :)

Emily @ It Comes Naturally Blog May 16, 2014 at 7:38 am

Mmm..glad to hear that sweet potatoes work, as I don’t know that I can get yams in the UK. Anyone care to elaborate on the differences?

Kate May 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

True yams are not sold in the US, either. Anything labeled “yam” in the grocery is actually a variety of sweet potato. In different parts of the US, they are labeled differently. Some people think of Yams as being the very dark fleshed ones, and Sweet Potatoes as being lighter fleshed. Angela – what’s your differentiation?

Sharon May 16, 2014 at 7:39 am

Happy Birthday! This will probably be one of the most memorable years to date with the little on the way!! :)

So creative to transform yams into a burger. I like the idea of adding in some seeds for crunch. Will definitely give these a go.

Have a great long weekend!

Jill May 16, 2014 at 7:53 am

Happy Birthday, Angela!

I love veggie burger recipes and this one sounds fabulous! I’ll be trying it soon!

Anne @AVeganAdventure May 16, 2014 at 7:58 am

Mmmm. Love the bold flavor of cilantro! That sauces looks like it would be amazing on just about anything!

Amy @ Wrapped in Newspaper May 16, 2014 at 8:07 am

These look delicious! And perfect timing as I was just thinking about what do cook this evening with my sweet potato.
Happy birthday! Loving the birthday burger idea -even if it wasn’t quite as planned :) a x

Chicago Jogger May 16, 2014 at 8:27 am

That sauce…. delicious. Happiest of birthdays!

[email protected] May 16, 2014 at 9:06 am

Happy Birthday! Looking forward to seeing how the carrot cake turns out, but these will do for now :)

Molly May 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

Happy birthday Angela!

Kathy Sturr of the Violet Fern May 16, 2014 at 9:18 am

Happy birthday! It is going to be a great year! These look so yummy and I am making them soon – maybe next week. Thank you so much for another glowing recipe. I wish you well with the cake making but I understand it is challenging to make Vegan baked goods.

Sanjana May 16, 2014 at 9:22 am

Wow! I love the combination of these spices. I can’t wait to try these.

Also, I have posted a lot of pictures for the contest as I have been cooking from your book almost everyday since it came out. Good luck to everyone! What a great way to motivate people to eat healthy!

Celeste May 16, 2014 at 9:23 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Angela! 1,000 thank yous would not be enough. Your dedication, hard work, and enthusiasm for food and life have helped me so much. Your blog is a gift. Your cookbook is a revelation. Happy birthday today! (P.S. We are the same age… I think … 31… which makes you even more of a role model to me.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thanks for your sweet words Celeste!

Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen May 16, 2014 at 9:40 am

Happy Birthday Angela!! Hope you have a wonderful day filled with lots of love!

These burgers look fabulous – I am looking forward to trying them (I love cooking with coriander and cumin!!). Looking forward to your carrot cake recipe as well! Have a great day – enjoy every minute of it!!

Sarah May 16, 2014 at 10:17 am

Happy Birthday! I want that sauce…

Meg May 16, 2014 at 10:21 am

Happy birthday! I was planning on making veggie burgers for the long weekend and thinking I would do some kind of chickpea thing…are you reading my mind?! These look AMAZING!!

Tamara May 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

I really hate cilantro, is there an alternative?

rachelle August 23, 2014 at 2:47 am

for the sauce you could probably use flat leafed parsley and or chives

Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 16, 2014 at 11:01 am

Happy birthday!! :)

I’ve never had tahini with burgers before. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love all of the flavors and ingredients you used. Looks delicious!

Alexandra May 16, 2014 at 11:55 am

This looks absolutely delicious! I am definitely going to have to try this one out.

cashmerekangaroo.com

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 16, 2014 at 11:58 am

You make the best vegan burgers ever! Wow, they look so satisfying and I bet the sauce is just fabulous with the yams! pinned

Kate May 16, 2014 at 11:58 am

Angela, these burgers look so great! Love all the spices and herbs you squeezed in there. Just read that you’re having a girl, congratulations! I knew it. :)

Marissa May 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

This recipe sounds amazing. A very inspiring use for one of my favorite legumes! Please keep at it with the carrot cake! I have been searching for a great dairy free carrot cake recipe and have yet to find one that I trust will be fantastic. I know that once you have perfected yours, I will finally have a recipe to depend on for the dairy free’s in my life! Thanks for all the great recipes and inspiration.

Alex @ Kenzie Life May 16, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Happy Birthday! I agree-vegan and gluten-free cakes are really challenging! These burgers look great though and any sauce with cilantro has my name on it :)

dishing up the dirt May 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Happy Birthday. These burgers sound absolutely wonderful and I can’t wait to give them a whirl. The cilantro lime tahini sauce has my name written all over it!

Megan May 16, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Happy Birthday, Angela!

Chickpeas have been taking over my pantry lately. You just solved my problem–these look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Laura May 16, 2014 at 1:41 pm

It would be great to read comments from people who have actually made the recipe.

Mb June 8, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Just made these tonight and they were great. The sauce really kicks it up a notch,
The pattie mixture seemed a bit dry, so I added water to help them stick together. Other than that (and a little less chili powder), I followed the recipe exactly.
And wow, my husband loved the sauce. We each ate 2 patties, side salad, couscous and cucumbers. Nice summer dinner,
Will make again!

Anastasiia June 22, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Thank you Mb…I was reading comments trying to find any advice about the dry mixture that I got. I will add water to it right now :)

Emily Brown May 16, 2014 at 4:03 pm

This looks awesome. Need the carrot cake recipe!!!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living May 16, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Carrot cake is my favorite, but I’m sure it’s challenging to make it vegan. I can’t even make the regular kind, but these burgers I’m sure were just as good. Is there any chance that you could grill these instead of cooking them in the oven?

Allison May 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Happy birthday! I must make this for dinner over the long weekend, they look yammy! :D

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Pretty sure I’d love to face plant right in to that sauce. And more importantly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Ange!! This year has been so huge for you with the book, the move, and now, the baby! Here’s to yet another wonderful one, shared with your growing family. :) xo

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar May 16, 2014 at 7:11 pm

These patties look fabulous!! Love!

Monique May 16, 2014 at 9:03 pm

My husband really wanted to try out his new BBQ (who says vegans don’t BBQ ;) so we grilled these burgers today and they were fantastic! We also grilled some veggies to go with them and I added a tomato salad and organic BBQ sauce to the table. The tahini sauce was a hit too, it had such a lovely creamy texture. Thanks so much for all your delicious and inspiring recipes! And my guess is we will see a carrot cake recipe in the near future ;) You can do it! Happy Birthday!

Christan @ The Detox Nutritionist May 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Cilantro sauce? That’s like catnip to me. YUM.

Giovanna May 16, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Happy Birthday Angela! Have a wonderful Day and my best wishes for you! I think you should of just made your Heavenly carrot Cake baked Oatmeal for today :) …..love cilantro I have to try this recipe!

Anita May 17, 2014 at 12:34 am

Made these for dinner tonight, they were amazing and looked exactly like the photo! Doesn’t often happen with vegan recipes. I’m new to the site but will definitely be back! Thanks for the wonderful recipes. Happy birthday Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2014 at 8:34 am

So happy to hear that Anita! :)

The Vegan Cookie Fairy May 17, 2014 at 4:32 am

Happy birthday, Angela! I hope it turns out to be a fantastic one (but it looks like you’re already well on your way there :)

I’ve never tried a burger wrapped in lettuce but that actually sounds like something I’d enjoy, seeing as how burger buns can make the whole meal feel quite heavy (for me at least.)

Erin May 17, 2014 at 8:29 am

Angela these burgers look fabulous, I will definitely have to give them a try! I don’t usually comment but felt compelled to today. Hope you have a wonderful 31st birthday, I also celebrated mine earlier this month and I am also expecting my first child in September! 31 will surely be a life changing year for both of us.

KarenW May 17, 2014 at 9:08 am

Happy birthday! These burgers look delicious! Do you think they would work with carrot instead of sweet potato? I’ve been getting a lot of carrots in my CSA box lately.

Jennie May 17, 2014 at 9:19 am

These look like they have flavors I would love! Is the sesame oil you used the dark toasted sesame oil or just regular light sesame oil? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2014 at 8:34 am

I think I used toasted, but I think either would be fine since it’s such a small amount :)

Suzie May 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

Sounds awesome! I will definitely make these soon. I was excited about taking a picture of the recipes in your cookbook that I have made (so far all great) but I can never get my hands on your cookbook lately. Since I bought it, it’s been borrowed by friends and family more than it’s been in my kitchen! Guess I need to just buy another and take one for the team!

Valerie Halston May 17, 2014 at 9:55 am

Will have to try these! They look great :) Have a beautiful Happy Birthday weekend!

carolyn May 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

So I have a question…I’ve seen a lot of veggie burger recipes that use sweet potatoes or yams. I’m wondering if they taste like sweet potato? I love em, but my man doesn’t like them at all.

Erin May 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Made the sauce last night to go with sweet potato fries and it was fab!

Birgit May 17, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Thank you for this great recipe, Angela. I’ve just made these burgers and they turned out perfectly well. I used sweet potatos because I couldn’t find Yams here in France. Really lovely recipe with a big salad.
Just bought your book too and tried several recipes with succes. Thanks again for your creativity and food passion.

Jaime Silk - Mental Health & Wellness Therapist May 17, 2014 at 6:32 pm

ANG! You wonderful woman you! Happy Birthday! I was wondering what exactly we would have at the BBQ (I was going to offer to bring Eggplants) But these look pretty darn awesome!

Jaime Silk - Mental Health & Wellness Therapist May 17, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Oh but wait – that doesn’t mean you have too cook! Eric and I could try the recipe! lol

Dani May 17, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Hi Angela,
Amazing yummy looking post as always! I just discovered a crazy connection! I know your aunt Sheila (Eric’s aunt). My mum was visiting recently and I cooked her a bunch of recipes from your cook book, she ended up buying it and was chatting to Sheila and they soon figured out the author was you! My mum and Sheila have been good friends for many years. How crazy! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
Dani

cheri May 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Happy Birthday Angela, these look wonderful, love veggie burgers.

Cathy May 17, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Angela, I made these last night and they were a hit! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Heather | Heather Christo May 17, 2014 at 9:08 pm

The Cilantro Lime Tahini Sauce sounds just amazing! Thanks for sharing!

char eats greens May 18, 2014 at 9:14 am

These look great, Ange!! And happy belated birthday my birthday twin!!

Carole May 18, 2014 at 9:35 am

Oh these look DELICIOUS!! Does the cilantro have a very strong flavour? Because I really dislike the flavour of it, could I sub it for fresh parsley maybe? Birthday burgers are good too :) But I hope you had something sweet :)

Lisa May 18, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Simply wonderful! Last night I went to your site for dinner inspiration and there it was. Made the burgers, plus the cilantro sauce along with a similar recipe to your salsa (I have your cookbook) as my hubby doesn’t like cucumber so I made one with avocado. These burgers and accompaniments are So delish! I am making another batch today to have for a BBQ tomorrow. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Erin Shaw May 18, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Making these as we speak and for some reason they are not sticking together very well. Any tips? Thanks!

Mary May 18, 2014 at 6:09 pm

These sound incredible! Happy birthday to you!

Maureen D May 18, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Are you listening?? Make these NOW! So absolutely delicious. Every bite was followed by yummmm from me and my husband. Cannot wait for tomorrow to have these again. And the sauce? The best. Way to go, Angela!

Taylor May 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for this recipe!!! I just made them and they were absolutely fantastic! I am so grateful for your website. I am vegan and my omnivore boyfriend is allergic to soy and almonds, so sometimes it is hard for us to find something we can both enjoy. He loved your lasagna, and I think he is going to love these too! Thanks again!

kimmythevegan May 18, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Happy Birthday!!! These burgers sound absolutely delicious =)
Would love to see a gf carrot cake recipe at some point!

Kate May 19, 2014 at 6:28 am

Made these last night – they were delicious. Sadly, no leftovers for lunch today, they were just too yummy. Even my 12 year old liked them!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen May 19, 2014 at 11:44 am

Happy belated birthday! This has been quite a year for you with everything that has happened. … and 31 is looking out to be even better with the arrival of little Baby Glow!

Martine May 19, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I made the burgers … My boyfriend and I loved them. Thanks for the note on sunflower seeds – I love the ideas of adding some crunch too. The sauce completes the burgers very well!

Jenny May 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm

YUM! These sound so good! I will be making these, as well as so many recipes from your cook book which I just got – SO EXCITED! :)

Laura May 19, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Happy 31!! I’d say between your big news and this birthday meal, 31 is definitely going to be a great year. :)

OMG, these look absolutely divine!!! Cilantro lime tahini sauce?! Whaaaat?? I want them to magically appear in front of me right now…

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health May 19, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I saw that cake on IG and about died! At least it looked amazing? I’m sure it’s close to tasting amazing too, you’re probably just a perfectionist. But I can relate to the frustrations of vegan/gluten-free/refined sugar-free baking. I have had so many fails- everything turns out so gummy. GF flours just don’t absorb moisture the same as regular flour.

Anyway, I think the burgers are a perfect subtitute. We could all use a little BB burgers no matter what age. Happy 31st Angela!

karen May 19, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Yum! Especially the sauce, that sounds amazing. I’ll have to try it out :)

Gourmet Getaways May 20, 2014 at 12:07 am

Veggie-on-veggie the fabulous way! Your creativity is admirable. Happy birthday, Angela!

Julie
Gourmet Getaways

Areta May 20, 2014 at 1:10 am

I love recipes for veggie burgers! You always put such fun spins on them. Can’t wait to try this!

jacob (Vitopure) May 20, 2014 at 5:42 am

Very colorful and looks delicious!!! :)

Natalie @ Whole Plate Wellness May 20, 2014 at 10:34 am

Happy happy birthday!! Birthdays are my favorite time of year, I hope yours is a blast!

In other news, these are like all my favorite flavors mashed into one dish!! Don’t you love when things fall apart so better things can come together? You’ll get the cake next time, I’m sure – 4th times the charm? Either way, these burgers are definitely going on the list for next week :)

Miriam May 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I made a double batch of this morning (very quick to put together) and they were gone in an instant-these get six toddlers’ seal of approval! Thank you!

mary May 20, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Just made these for supper and they were delicious! Great recipe and easy to make.

Ashley May 21, 2014 at 9:19 am

These sound fantastic, Ange! Loving that first photo and the green sauce is so fun + vibrant! Happy birthday, my dear. I commend you on your efforts to make a gf/vegan cake. Not an easy task!

Cara May 21, 2014 at 7:22 pm

This looks amazing! I’ve never used yams in my veggie burgers. Definitely trying this one!

MJ May 22, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Is the yam/sweet potato supposed to remain in the food processor when the cilantro, garlic, ginger, then chickpeas are added to process? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2014 at 10:46 am

Nope you can add it into the bowl – I edited the recipe to clarify. Thanks!

MJ May 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I made these right after I posted my question; decided I had to have them immediately! They were totally delicious & nourishing and I’ll be making them again soon (I may try to freeze some). Initially, I removed the yam from food processor and set it aside, but then I second-guessed myself and returned it to processor and pulsed it a bit with the chickpeas – still turned out great. Thank you Angela! All the best.

Helen @ Scrummy Lane May 24, 2014 at 1:46 am

I’m on a constant search for veggie burgers that taste good, and something tells me I couldn’t do much better than this one! They seem to be packed with so much flavour, and I love the sweet potato-chickpea combo for the ‘base’. These are definitely calling my name!

Katie May 24, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hi there!

I’m looking forward to trying out this recipe! Is there any sub that you know of for the oats as I’m grain free, I was thinking garbanzo bean flour? Or more flax?

Happy belated birthday!

Thanks!
Katie Mae

Alexandra @ Kitchology May 24, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Happy Birthday! This looks like the perfect Memorial Day meal as the rest of my family bites into meat!

Deborah May 24, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Another winner! I made this tonight, with the addition of the sunflower seeds, and had much success. The sauce is outstanding! I may bake or sauté the yams very briefly before adding them. This is one wonderful blog!

Mary May 25, 2014 at 3:58 am

These are delicious even without sunflower seeds! Thanks for sharing it and enjoy your pregnancy..

Larisa May 27, 2014 at 6:48 pm

these were incredible. They’re some of the most flavorful veggie burgers I’ve ever had and I’ve made them 3 times over. Twice to fill the freezer. They bake up nicely straight from the freezer in the oven after just 15-20 minutes at 350 (I like them pretty soft with a good crust).

I used parsley instead of cilantro because that’s what I had on hand. The sauce really makes them! Great recipe Angela! Thank you!! Canadians do it best!

Courtney May 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I just made these, they were awesome! The flavor was amazing, the fresh ginger from the burgers and the savory lime tahini sauce came together so well. This was our first vegan meal, even my skeptical husband could not resist eating three of these!! The only issue with them was mine didn’t stay together well, the consistency was more like mashed potatoes. Maybe I over processed the chickpeas.

Joann @ Woman in Real Life May 28, 2014 at 8:59 am

Yum! Cilantro lime tahini sauce sounds sooo good! And I love a good vegan burger for spring/summer!

Jo
womaninreallife.com/

Arlene May 28, 2014 at 9:26 am

These were absolutely incredible…I love anything I make from your cookbook, site, etc…but these (like I say to all them), could be my absolutely favourite dish. I made it all (the salsa, the veggie burgers, the dressing), and my hubby, kids and I licked our plates. Thanks again!

Ams May 28, 2014 at 10:30 am

I’m grain free and don’t use oats, any chance you think I could use almond flour instead of the oat flour??? Thanks :) Love everything you post!!!

Kathy Steinberg May 28, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Just made these tonight for dinner. Followed the recipe to a tee. The results where fabulous!! So flavorful and hearty. The “burger” stuck to my wax paper a little, I would just spray the pan before hand. Even my husband and son, who are meat eaters loved these!! Will make these again.

saida May 28, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Perfect timing! I’ve been looking for burger recipes and I’ve been eyeing the yams in my kitchen trying to figure out how to use them up before they go bad. These are going to be dinner tomorrow night. I’m praying my four kids like them so that they can become a regular burger recipe at our house. They look SO delicious!

Patti May 28, 2014 at 11:21 pm

These were delish. The sauce excellent. This was the first recipe that I used from your site. Really, really impressed and I can be such a food snob. I added toasted pumpkin seeds to the patties. Really nice! I have recommended your site to so many people.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thank you Patti! I appreciate it.

Cathryn May 30, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Just pulled these from the oven. Delicious! Satisfying!

Charlene June 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Just wanted you to know that I made these and I absolutely love them. I am always afraid of making veggie burgers. Always afraid that it won’t come together but these were easy to form into patties and they didn’t fall apart. Now the flavor….DELICIOUS!!!

Leone Arendse June 2, 2014 at 5:15 am

Hello Angela

I used sweet potatoes and these burgers came out lovely and crunchy. The sauce was so tasty :)

Leone

Emily June 2, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Made these last night with black beans (since I forgot to buy chickpeas on my grocery run) – YUM. I brought one for lunch today with a whole wheat bun and it actually kept me full until quitting time…no “hangry” rush hour commute home for me! Thanks!!

Jessica June 3, 2014 at 11:14 am

FINALLY! A veggie burger recipe that actually holds together when you pick it up!! I’ve made countless veggie burger recipes and I could never find one that wouldn’t crumble the second you tried to flip it or pick it up…until now! These burgers are delicious. Thank you!!! So full of flavor and i love the shredded sweet potato in there. I will definitely be making these again!

Sara June 3, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Thank you! I’ve been looking for a yummy vegan burger recipe! I will have to try this for my family soon, my hubby has been loving sweet potatoes lately. I will try it with that!

Sheila June 4, 2014 at 1:07 am

Wow these were amazing!!!! I wasn’t sure how the family would react at first but then there was no leftovers. I LOVE your recipes they are always a hit!! Keep up the great work!!!

Beth June 4, 2014 at 1:52 pm

We made these for dinner yesterday and they were so good! And the sauce – yum! We poured it over everything on the plate. It was great over our tomato cucumber salad along with roasted potatoes. I had made some chickpeas from scratch, so I made hummus after the burgers & sauce and the flavors leftover in the food processor gave it a delicious twist. Thanks so much!

laurie June 8, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I have made these yummy yammy burgers twice now and LOVE them! There is such a depth of flavor with all the seasoning; ginger is the kicker! I also am addicted to the cilantro tahini sauce. It’s my new favorite dressing for my kale salad. Finely chopped kale, cukes, onion and tomatoes with a little cilantro. Then I either add wheat berries or white beans, whatever I have. I could eat it every day!! Thanks so much for all your amazing posts!

Eve-Marie June 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Loved these! I served them just on a plate with the cucumber tomato salsa. I will be making this cilantro tahini ssuce for mamy future applications!

Lisa Watson June 15, 2014 at 10:17 pm

This was fabulous! I am really enjoying the recipes on your site and have told my friends about it. I’ve made your raw brownies several times!
I didnt have chickpeas on hand so I used only about a 1/4 cup of cooked green lentils. It was still fabulous. The texture was perfect. I didnt see your note about adding sunflower seeds until the burgers were done so I, too, will try that next time. Next time, I wont add as much chili powder because it had quite the kick for my taste. I tried to shape the burgers using my hands and that was a mistake! The ingredients just stuck to my skin. It worked fine just putting the mixture on the parchment paper and shaping with a rubber spatula.
Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

Chaily June 21, 2014 at 10:57 am

We absolutely LOVED this recipe. I made a double batch and froze 1/2 of them. I love the flavors of the burger. I was out of Tahini and used avocado instead which worked fine, but I can’t wait to make it your way next time.
Thanks for all the great recipes!

P.S. Love the book too :)

Jennifer June 22, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I just made these and they are fantastic! Can’t wait for my daughter to try them :)

Kari June 22, 2014 at 4:52 pm

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try!

Mms June 30, 2014 at 11:50 am

Angela,

Chickpeas do not suit me due to severe acidity issues. Could you suggest a replacement if possible?
Thanks
Shradha

Greta Zarro July 2, 2014 at 3:21 am

Hello Angela,
I’m a huge fan of yours – I make your recipes all the time. I just love how healthy, fresh, and pure your recipes are, and at the same time, they are elevated, sophisticated dishes, using relatively basic, not obscure, ingredients.
I made these burgers and the sauce yesterday for my family and we all absolutely loved them. Probably one of the best dishes I’ve made from your site and one of the best veggie burgers I’ve ever had. The burger’s flavor is so complex and multi-dimensional – in one bite, I get a sweet flavor from the cinnamon and sweet potato (which I used instead of yam) and then the spicy flavor comes through. Really delicious. So thank you!! You are such an inspiration as a vegan cook, leading a healthy, wholesome glowing lifestyle.
And congratulations on your pregnancy! Best wishes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2014 at 8:03 am

Hi Greta, Im so happy to hear this! Thanks for your kind words of support :)

Perri July 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I made these for 4th of july and they were delish! I added some sunflower seeds per the suggestion at the bottom. My only complaint is that mine came out a little too mushy because I think I over-processed the mix in the food processor. I cooked them for longer than suggested hoping it would make them firm up some, but it didn’t really help. The taste was right on though and by day 2 of leftovers, they were almost the perfect consistency!! The cilantro tahini sauce was also a huge hit and really “made” the recipe :) Everyone (including many non-vegans) loved them! Thank you for another fabulous keeper!

Nicole July 8, 2014 at 8:13 pm

These were delicious! My 3 year old even ate one. I normally eat meat with dinner, but these were very satisfying on their own. Thank you for sharing!

Hutch July 20, 2014 at 1:27 pm

What about gaining some recipe inspiration from Babycakes NYC for gluten-free vegan cakes.

Jen July 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Hello,

I am very interested in making this but I am wondering if you have any suggestions of an alternate herb to use than cilantro? Perhaps it isn’t possible to substitute that part but I just wanted to ask because I really like the overall idea and everything else in the recipe!

Thanks,

Jen

Michelle July 29, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I just made the Moroccan Yam Veggie Burgers for my family. They were SO good! Even my teenagers ate them with NO (real) complaining. The sauce on top was perfect and I added the sunflower seeds, too. I love your site and have referred it to many others. I can’t say enough awesome things about all these recipes.

Karen August 11, 2014 at 9:53 pm

These Moroccan veggie burgers were awesome! I added the sunflower seeds as suggested and ate them on pocketless pitas. Thanks, Angela!

Phil August 16, 2014 at 3:14 am
Recipe Rating:

This is a flavour infused recipe that will go into my cook book. If you enjoy cilantro, this will tickle your taste buds.
I would add some crunch as the recipe suggests.
I individually wrapped the patties and put them in the fridge. Warming up by frying in your oil of choice adds a very nice exterior shell/crust.
Sultanas would be a nice addition too.
Thanks for the recipe !

Margaret Webb August 19, 2014 at 9:06 am
Recipe Rating:

Fabulous. The burgers were tasty as was the sauce. Left-overs went into the lunch bags!!

Sherrie August 19, 2014 at 10:00 am
Recipe Rating:

I made these and they were yummy!! The sauce is so good that I will use it for other recipes as well. These burgers will be a regular in my menu rotation:)

Karen August 19, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is delicious! Great moist burgers and the sauce is such a treat!

Melanie August 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Angela,
How do these compare to your veggie burgers with the peanut sauce. They both share many of the same ingredients, but with some differences. I can’t decide which ones to make… Is one recipe more spicy or savory or something?

Diane September 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Recipe Rating:

Amazing!!! I love freezing this so I have them for lunches. One of my favourite recipes of all time!

Anne September 7, 2014 at 8:52 am
Recipe Rating:

These are one of our all time favourite recipes from your collection. I have made them now about 4 or 5 times and am just about to cook up a batch for tonight. Honestly the mix of flavours is heavenly! I think they need a new name though. ‘Burgers’ makes them sound so ordinary and these are anything but.

You must not skip making the sauce and salsa and DO serve on a bed of greens as suggested. The salsa ingredients today are coming from my garden.

Niki September 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

Another excellent veggie burgers recipe. I made “Our perfect veggie burger” a couple of weeks ago and I just finished making a third batch. Delicious! I decided to try this one and I LOVED IT! The lime-cilantro sauce is a perfect combination. Didn’t use the sunflower seeds but I may consider that next time. Either way, they turned out super yummy. Thanks Angela!

Milissa September 19, 2014 at 6:08 pm
Recipe Rating:

Oh, boy, these were delicious. I love the spices and the texture. My two year-old enjoyed them and my eight year-old asked when we’d have them again. My husband insisted on eating his on bread but to each his own, right?! So easy to make and the leftovers were great on top of a big salad the next day.

Jennie October 1, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Recipe Rating:

They sell yams in the Atlanta area at farmer’s markets/international markets. The starch content helps the burgers stick together without eggs. I substituted oat bran for the oats and paired the burgers with some juicy heirloom tomatoes from the local farmer.

My husband really loved the cilantro sauce.

Samantha October 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm
Recipe Rating:

Fantastic!!! The only regret was that I didn’t make more.

leah October 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm

are the coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari necessary for the burgers?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hi Leah, They serve the purpose of enhancing the flavour and adding sodium too. If you were to leave it out I would suggest adding more salt (to taste) and possibly increasing the spices. Hope this helps!

Susan October 26, 2014 at 6:59 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made these burgers tonight, so yummy, I think they will be one of my favorites! Added in the sunflower seeds and they do lend a really nice crunch. Thanks for a great recipe!

Deborah H November 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made the entire recipe, including the OSG salsa from the cookbook. YUM! I had promised my coworkers that I would bring some to work but now I want to eat them all myself. Is that wrong? Also, if you ever decide to open an OSG restaurant (or two), please consider coming to the Virginia area. I will be your most loyal customer!!!

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:11 pm

so wrong! you need to share good vegan food ;)

Jenny November 8, 2014 at 8:40 am
Recipe Rating:

These were unbelievably good! Will definitely be making again! Even my picky eater teen loved them! I sprinkled the roasted sunflower seeds on top of the sauce, which gave it a nice crunch. Thanks for this fantastic recipe!

Ryan November 8, 2014 at 6:30 pm

These are my new favourite meal, honestly I could eat them every day. I have them on mini naan bread rounds with an avacado-tomato salad on top. That being said, do you have a rough idea of how long they’ll last in the freezer? I’m always tempted to make more each time but I don’t want them to go to waste. Thanks!

jaime December 11, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Recipe Rating:

Most amazing recipe ever!
I’ve made them 3x already and have numerous people ask me for this recipe.
Love your blog, thanks for the super nutritious and delicious recipes!

Germaine December 16, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Made these today, taste great! Doubled the recipe which made 13. I used Yams which are a purple color and exchanged one can of chick peas for kidney beans which are a little lower in calories. Sauce needed a little more lime juice which gave it a bit of a kick and sprinkled with Raw pumpkin seeds. Will definitely make again.

Beth February 8, 2015 at 8:30 pm

WOW! We decided to double to recipe, hoping that it would make a great lunch for us later in the week, and so glad we did! We will not change a thing, and will always double it:)

Lindsey February 8, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

Just made these for the first time and my meat-eating husband loved them. We will be making these again!

terrykins February 21, 2015 at 8:22 pm

My omnivore husband really enjoyed this. I served it on a bun (using the lime dressing), with a side salad, using your lemon tahini dressing for the salad.

Pomai February 25, 2015 at 7:15 pm

My two teenage sons and I LOVE your recipes! We enjoy cooking together and think these Moroccan burgers are exotic and delicious. Our favorites are the Thai peanut patties. We substitute almond butter for the peanut butter. We also grate the yams by hand to a finer grate. We have found this allows the burgers to hold together and not fall apart.
Today, we’re adding lightly chopped sunflower seeds to the mix to add a pop of crunch.
Mahalo, Angela….you’re an Angel (a)

Ashley March 7, 2015 at 11:17 am
Recipe Rating:

Yeah… I hate it when all the comments are of people who haven’t tried the damn recipe so, with that sentiment in mind, these burgers are AMAZING! My family has dubbed these the crack burgers, because when you eat one you want to eat like 6. The best part of them however is the sauce, so make a double batch..

Christina April 1, 2015 at 11:16 am
Recipe Rating:

Yum! I made these last night and enjoyed both the burgers and the sauce/dressing. They were a little soft and fell apart somewhat easily though, and I was wondering if they would crisp up a little bit nicer if cooked on the stove? What would you recommend as far as cooking time in a skillet?

Denise April 9, 2015 at 7:18 am

Can these burgers be frozen?

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:09 pm

absolutely. I do all the time

Carrie May 4, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I have been trying to make these burgers, and for the life of me, they will not stay together! It tastes delicious, but I end up making more of a hash than a burger. Any suggestions on how to make them hold together instead of crumbling before I can even get them in the oven? I’ve followed this word for word.

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Try compressing them harder in your hands when you made them. I have lots of experience with these and other veggie burgers. I think that is key, if as you say you are following the recipe exactly. Mine always stay together.

Christina May 11, 2015 at 12:22 am
Recipe Rating:

I just made these for the first time and I think they are great. I am not a vegan and did not have flax seed on hand so i used an egg. In addition, I only had one can of chick peas but wanted more than 4-6 burgers so I added some Peruvian lima beans that I had precooked. Not ideal, but it turned out alright. : )

Mary V June 20, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Recipe Rating:

It’s Father’s Day eve and my birthday is Monday so I have these in the oven right now :) Smells wonderful!

Katrina Froese June 22, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Recipe Rating:

I didn’t really like the dressing at first taste … Until I put it with the burger and wrapped it in butter lettuce. The combination was delicious! Try this recipe!

Orlee August 5, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Have you ever tried freezing these burgers? Thank you!

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Yes, when I made these or any veggie burgers I always made a double batch and freeze. Fantastic. I like to take take a pattie with salad for lunch.

Shantel October 26, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Looks good! What could I replace the oats with? Sorghum?
Thanks!

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:06 pm

breadcrumbs

Sarah December 16, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Recipe Rating:

I just made these today and they were soooo good. The mixture did look a bit dry but they held their shape so I just left it. Glad I did because they were perfect! The chickpeas and yam crisped up so nicely on the edges. I didnt have sesame oil or sunflower seeds so I dipped one side of the patties in sesame seeds, yum. And unlike sooo many other veggie burgers I have had they were not mushy inside. Oh, and the sauce was deliciously creamy. Dont you just love tahina? Yessssss! Will for sure make again. Thanks for the great recipe!

Barb April 4, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Recipe Rating:

I really like these and so appreciate when the nutrition information is included as I am pre diabetic and have to consider the ratio of carbs:protein. Love these!!

Christine May 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Hey all! I just have a question about these burgers. I know this sounds silly but I am new to vegan. Do I pre-cook the yam? …

Thanks!

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:05 pm

no you don’t. I have made these several times, and other veggie burgers. OSGs has a great black bean burger in her recipe book that uses grated carrot, and again no need to precook it.

Anne Boyd June 18, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Love these burgers Angela. I have made them many times, especially for friends. The sauce is divine. I think calling them ‘burgers’ a a misnomer though. Being bunless people initially think that something is missing, but then when they try them -love them!!
I am making them again for a pool party tomorrow.

Kayla December 5, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Recipe Rating:

LOVE these but they aren’t filling and are too much work to eat them all in one sitting :) Non-vegans, you can paleofy these into a more filling meal by subbing two eggs for the flax seed and almond flour for the oat flour.

Joanne June 10, 2017 at 10:25 am

Hi,
Can i bake them in apan wiht little oil ? Will the burger break ?
Thank you.

Angela Liddon June 19, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Hi Joanne, I’m not positive as I haven’t tried it. For best results I would recommend cooking as the recipe states, but if you try anything else out please report back!

Brenda August 8, 2017 at 2:29 pm

This recipe looks amazing! What could I substitute for the oats though? I am totally grain free.

Angela Liddon August 14, 2017 at 9:10 am

Hey Brenda, Have you experimented with cassava flour yet? It’s grain-free, and while I haven’t tried it in a veggie burger yet, you might be able to add a bit of it into these burgers for binding purposes.

Carolina Baumanis January 16, 2018 at 2:04 pm
Recipe Rating:

Made this last night and it was so tasty! I did the whole recipe by hand (I don’t own a food processor) and it turned out really well. I used a small-medium sized yam and it turned out to be perfect. My bf loved it too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 17, 2018 at 8:50 am

Hey Carolina, I’m so happy you made it and loved it! Thanks for letting me know.